Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
I mean, we have just signed a world class CB who's going to play next to him.:yeshrug:

Is Varane even that kind of player?

Back at Carrington, United’s coaches, analysts and scouts agreed on his frightening speed, his technical excellence, his ability in the air — there are clear benefits to training up against Ronaldo and Benzema for such a long time. Injuries were mentioned as the player has suffered with his knee, but Varane’s stats were convincing — an average of 41 games per season for Madrid in the last seven years. They felt it was rare to have a combination of being tall, fast and skilful. His vast Champions League experience (and four winners’ medals) was a plus and he was considered one of the best central defenders in the world. His compatriot and former team-mate Patrice Evra is glowing in the assessment he gives to The Athletic.

“Varane reminds me of Rio Ferdinand,” said Evra. “Great with the ball, great in the air. He’s the complete centre-back. I remember my first game with the French national team and I was so impressed. He was so young yet so good with the ball, so fast and his anticipation was perfect. He’s calm with the ball and he can score too. It’s a top, top signing for Manchester United.”

Not a single bit about actual leadership :hubie:

Quixano also believes Varane could be better suited to the English league rather than what he calls Madrid’s vertical football. “He likes to carry the ball out; his speed and anticipation is superb,” he adds. “My only worry would be the physical side. He’s big and strong, his temperament is tranquil and he’s not confrontational, but he might take some time to adapt to English football, just as David de Gea did. He’s left a club not in their best moment, but he was a big success for Madrid and he’s never caused conflicts.”

Varane’s maturity is something both Hernandez and Alvarez respect and will serve him right when the spotlight falls on him in a city which is often more like a village. “Private, professional, no rumours, no problems with Varane” is Hernandez’s take.

“Serious, quiet — Ramos did the talking — and not a big character like Ramos who was in the media a lot,” agrees Alvarez.

Doesnt seem like he is going to help AWB get better at positioning :hubie:

Gilver

Really?
Daps
Reppin
NW, UK
Is Varane even that kind of player?

Not a single bit about actual leadership :hubie:

Doesnt seem like he is going to help AWB get better at positioning :hubie:

You don't need to be a 'shouter' to pass on some experience. You also don't need to be a shouter when you have a shouter next to you for 10 years.

Maguire wasn't necessarily a 'leader' in the same way he is now when he came. Look what he's done for Shaw.

I'm sure Varane is aware of what he's being asked to come in and do.