Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

Gilver

Really?
Daps
Reppin
NW, UK
Signing Ben White for 50m is not a good signing, in the slightest. Liverpool signed Konate for less than 40m and he’s actually rated highly.
See this is one of them cases where "he's overrated because he's english" works it's way around to English players being blindly slandered and automatically being shytter than any foreign counterpart.

Ben White is a good young CB with a lot of potential, and yeah, a little english tax but 50m is probably reasonable in today's market.

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
See this is one of them cases where "he's overrated because he's english" works it's way around to English players being blindly slandered and automatically being shytter than any foreign counterpart.

Ben White is a good young CB with a lot of potential, and yeah, a little english tax but 50m is probably reasonable in today's market.

Never said Konate is better than him, I said he was more highly rated (which he is) and significantly cheaper (which he is). English tax is an excuse for teams being lazy with recruitment because Tomori (who’s also more rated than Ben White) just went to Milan for around 30m. If we were in for Ben White for similar money, I wouldn’t have any complaints because he’s a young CB with potential.

Gilver

Really?
Daps
Reppin
NW, UK
Never said Konate is better than him, I said he was more highly rated (which he is) and significantly cheaper (which he is). English tax is an excuse for teams being lazy with recruitment because Tomori (who’s also more rated than Ben White) just went to Milan for around 30m. If we were in for Ben White for similar money, I wouldn’t have any complaints because he’s a young CB with potential.
Rated by who, though? People on the internet?

Pretty much everyone i've ever spoke to or heard speak about White has rated him massively and tipped him for big things. I mean, ask Leeds fans about him.

Also have to consider his attributes, he can play a bit, which autimatically adds more to the fee as those CB's are harder to find.

I dunno mate i'd be pretty happy with the signing were i an Arsenal fan.

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK

Pretty much everyone i've ever spoke to or heard speak about White has rated him massively and tipped him for big things. I mean, ask Leeds fans about him.

Also have to consider his attributes, he can play a bit, which autimatically adds more to the fee as those CB's are harder to find.

The internet + sports publications. Konate has been a highly rated young CB for about 2-3 years now and Fikayo Tomori’s been considered one of England’s better young CBs for a couple seasons as well but everyone’s forgotten since most English football fans only watch the EPL.

No one is saying Ben White is crap but he’s not a £50m player. He had a good season for Leeds in the championship and a good season for Brighton, that’s not enough pedigree to spend that kind of money on him.

Considering the fact we have Saliba as well, I’d rather us spend the money on more pressing needs instead of overpaying for a relatively unproven player.

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils

He's a French Centre back they are all highly rated even if they are actually not that good. And he was only cheaper because RB Leipzig/Bundesliga clubs love a release clauses. Apart from when it comes to Sancho :pachaha:

We forgetting that Liverpool when they were Champions were very interested in Ben White.

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
He's a French Centre back they are all highly rated even if they are actually not that good. And he was only cheaper because RB Leipzig/Bundesliga clubs love a release clauses. Apart from when it comes to Sancho :pachaha:

We forgetting that Liverpool when they were Champions were very interested in Ben White.

Liverpool decided to look for cheaper once Brighton gave their asking price. If the champions can be shrewd with how much they’re willing to spend, then Arsenal should be doing the same, especially when you consider how bad our transfer record has been the past few years :manny:

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
The internet + sports publications.

No one is saying Ben White is crap but he’s not a £50m player. He had a good season for Leeds in the championship and a good season for Brighton, that’s not enough pedigree to spend that kind of money on him.

Considering the fact we have Saliba as well, I’d rather us spend the money on more pressing needs instead of overpaying for a relatively unproven player.

And you spent 35m on World Cup winner La Liga playing Mustafi is that the kind of pedigree youre looking for?

Gilver

Really?
Daps
Reppin
NW, UK
The internet + sports publications. Konate has been a highly rated young CB for about 2-3 years now and Fikayo Tomori’s been considered one of England’s better young CBs for a couple seasons as well but everyone’s forgotten since most English football fans only watch the EPL.

I mean the bolded is fair enough. But he'd automatically be your best CB(i know, not hard tbf).

Ben been out there playing Bielsa and Potter ball:wow:

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
And you spent 35m on World Cup winner La Liga playing Mustafi is that the kind of pedigree youre looking for?

:francis:

In theory, that was good business at that price but in typical Arsenal fashion, we never know when to sell a player when they’re obviously not good enough.

I mean the bolded is fair enough. But he'd automatically be your best CB(i know, not hard tbf).

Ben been out there playing Bielsa and Potter ball:wow:

Ben’s a good player. Him and Gabriel together could be a really good partnership...our squad is just shyt so I’m hoping we’re gonna a bit more calculating with our signings.

Montez

Superstar
Daps
On Konate and Ben White, Konate's hasn't played many matches and these guys are desperate. They're fighting for their jobs and can't afford to have players unsettled. Read something about Ben White playing more matches than Konate in the last two seasons than Konate in the last 4/5.

The issue with Ben White isn't Ben White.

It's 50M after spending 30M on Saliba who we have mishandled. It's also the perception that Ben White is coming for Saliba, rather than Holding.

I got no issue with him as a player, we need someone like him with Luiz gone.

:francis:

In theory, that was good business at that price but in typical Arsenal fashion, we never know when to sell a player when they’re obviously not good enough.

Ben’s a good player. Him and Gabriel together could be a really good partnership...our squad is just shyt so I’m hoping we’re gonna a bit more calculating with our signings.

The Mustafi transfer hurt for me because we bought Mustafi for 20M more than Barca bought Umtiti in the same summer iirc.