Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

Civilisé

Rookie
Daps
Hate the way Griezman celebrates his goals like he's a South American with tekkers. he needs to know his place. smh

Mans celebrates and dances like he's R9, R10 or Robinho when he plays more similar to Thomas Mueller.:beli: He needs to celebrate appropriately by just handing the ball to the referee and shaking his hand and maybe a wave or two to the crowd. be humble
:hhh:
Yeah his celebrations are annoying... He's a weird dude. He told the French media that he somehow felt Spanish, was thinking in Spanish (remember it's Spain that gave him a chance first, not France). He declared his love for Uruguay many time. I guess he identifies with South Americans somehow.

But those who say he's less talented... I disagree. He is super important for France, he creates chances and gives the rhythm for the attack. Plus he always delivers. There is no other profile like him in the French team. Except may be Thomas Lemar.

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
It may work and increase the talent pool but I doubt it will produce word class talents. Outside of North America, football is mainly a sport for the poor. Are these privileged Nigerian American kids going to have the level of hunger of a poor French Algerian/Malian/... or the motivation of a guy from the Favelas?

I disagree about producing Word class talent. I’m looking at it as the Nigerian Americans using the already strong sporting infrastructure in the US to develop their talent and possibly go overseas. Kind of like with Steffan, Pulisic, McKennie etc.

IIRC, Pulisic got his big break during an U-17 tournament against Brazil.

Also, IDK if I’d say Football is only for the poor outside NA.

Western Europe has a plethora of academies for kids who have the funds and abilities to play the game.

If you have Nigerian Americans making it to the NBA (Okafors, Adebayo, etc) or the NFL, why wouldn’t they have the same drive to make it to a decent club in Europe?

FukyourFort

All Star
Daps
I always thought Griezman was a bit overrated. Doesn't mean he's trash but I think Pogba would be better in that floating position. He makes better decisions in the final third and has a better eye plus execution for the final pass as well. France doesn't score enough with the talent they have IMO

Griezman is a great finisher and his link play is elite but his corners always hit the first person, his passes always seem to be off or too heavy, and lately, his touch has been heavy. Maybe it's a case where I tend to catch his negative moments :manny:

African_brehda

Superstar
Daps
Griezmann doesn't have the technical ability to see Pogba, Mbappe, Kante, Big Body, or Giroud. He's like Alexis Sanchez and Lacazette to me.

I wish Dembele got his shyt together because he's the missing piece to get that guy out of the lineup.

70b.gif

Alexis Sanchez of all people? Wtf breh
You prolly think someone like Muller has low technical abilities. Right?

And with the people you’re comparing him to, it’s not about technical ability, it’s just different skill sets. Anyone playing ball at this level has 1000000000000 times more technical ability than the average man.

Not liking him is one thing, trying to base your argument on his skills is another thing. Breh is a fukking baller

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps
Hate the way Griezman celebrates his goals like he's a South American with tekkers. he needs to know his place. smh

Mans celebrates and dances like he's R9, R10 or Robinho when he plays more similar to Thomas Mueller.:beli: He needs to celebrate appropriately by just handing the ball to the referee and shaking his hand and maybe a wave or two to the crowd. be humble
:hhh:
Well he is an honorary Uruguayan :skip:

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Black folks in Montreal(regardless of economic class) tend to favour basketball and American football due to the influence of American media, although you will see alot of recent African immigrants and thier offspring playing football.

We also have alot of Italians, Greeks, Portuguese, Algerians, Moroccans, and Tunisians and they tend be football first when it comes to sports. They don't have the same passion for football that their relatives back home have though, a large chunk of them are middle class and don't have the same hunger to make it to the professional ranks.

I wouldn't say Haitians have bad reputation, but alot of the gangs in Montreal are Haitian. Alot of the poor areas in Montreal like St-Michel and Montreal-Nord have significant Haitian populations, but most of them still prefer basketball over football. Alot of the English speaking Carribean population lives in poverty too, but they also prefer basketball for the most part.

Football is growing in Canada, but it's still behind hockey, American football, and basketball in terms of popularity. Alot of white Franco and Anglo Canadians play football as kids but lose interest in it as they get older.

Never knew y'all rock with American football like that. Thought it was mainly hockey and basketball lol.

Civilisé

Rookie
Daps
Also, IDK if I’d say Football is only for the poor outside NA.

Western Europe has a plethora of academies for kids who have the funds and abilities to play the game.

If you have Nigerian Americans making it to the NBA (Okafors, Adebayo, etc) or the NFL, why wouldn’t they have the same drive to make it to a decent club in Europe?

I meant that football is often a sport played by lower classes and by people with immigrant background that need fast social mobility (in Western Europe). Sure you can also be from upper middle class (example: Lloris), but they usually don't have the same motivation and toughness. You can see it during youth tournaments already.

When it comes to American sports, it makes sense that they succeed since it's their specialty, with all the infrastructures available and the local sport CULTURE (very important). Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but basketball and American football are more and more suburban sports from what I've read (for example, US football requires a lot of money for the equipment). So I just can't imagine a top tier young Nigerian American athlete choosing football above US football or basketball. But again I may be wrong.