Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
already 2-0 :picard:

Those are World Cup qualifiers right?

there are so many games between this and basketball, Im just going to focus on Copa America/Oro and the euros

Gotta love CONMEBOL WCQ, they play everyone twice so its like a mini-Copa America. Can’t “hide” from the big teams.

When it comes to American sports, it makes sense that they succeed since it's their specialty, with all the infrastructures available and the local sport CULTURE (very important). Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but basketball and American football are more and more suburban sports from what I've read (for example, US football requires a lot of money for the equipment). So I just can't imagine a top tier young Nigerian American athlete choosing football above US football or basketball. But again I may be wrong.

You’re right in that local sports culture plays a big role. Adulation starts in high school for top prospects US football and Basketball. FYI - US Football is actually one of the cheaper sports. IIRC, the high school players really only need to by their cleats (shoes), cup and mouth guard. The padding and helmets are provided by the school. Lacrosse is actually one of the more expensive suburban sports.

What I was more so getting at with Nigerian immigrants/their offspring is them taking advantage of the general sporting infrastructure in the US, especially now that soccer is becoming much more acclaimed.

I went to college/uni with Zack Stephen (actually saw him play a few games live). And more and more serious players are opting out of college and moving to academies and the like.

Last edited:

Premeditated

MANDE KANG
Daps
Reppin
IMMIGRANT TETHERS
Yeah his celebrations are annoying... He's a weird dude. He told the French media that he somehow felt Spanish, was thinking in Spanish (remember it's Spain that gave him a chance first, not France). He declared his love for Uruguay many time. I guess he identifies with South Americans somehow.

But those who say he's less talented... I disagree. He is super important for France, he creates chances and gives the rhythm for the attack. Plus he always delivers. There is no other profile like him in the French team. Except may be Thomas Lemar.
that's because DD hasn't given other french attacking midfielders a fair share in the free role. Not even for friendlies. Plug Fekir, Aouar or Pogba in there, France washes the competition. The only game that Aouar has even played for France, they wax Ukraine 7-0 with no Griezman, we ain't seen Aouar since. I just fee like Griezman, along with DD is the main reason France plays ugly football.

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Venezuela was dominating Uruguay for a quick minute, even with no Soteldo.

Last edited:

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
@thatrapsfan
@Jamal514

lets go

200.gif

Yehuda