Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

Sukairain

Shahenshah
Daps
Reppin
Straiya
Yea, those type of crosses are tough to defend. It’s in no man’s land concerning the keeper and the defender.

Navas assumed/gambled the defender would cut out the cross but gambled wrong there.

Yep, I remember the UEFA cup having more prestige than EL as well even though they’re kinda of one in the same competition. What caused the prestige of the cup drop?

Also, I wouldn’t mind seeing the UEFA CWC come back but that’ll never happen. I do think it’d be good as it gives more weight to domestic cup competitions.

I think the rule where the 3rd place Champions League group teams drop into the Europa League hurts the credibility of the competition. It makes it clear that it is an inferior tournament to the Champions League, because CL also-rans are considered good enough go into the EL knockouts. And the prize for winning it - automatic qualification for the CL - reinforces that. So the whole system sets up the belief that the Europa League is a shyt tournament.

I'd bin those rules off and re-format it to a straight knockout. Maybe change the qualification rule so that teams qualify based on domestic cup places and not league places, so it'd be reserved for domestic cup winners only. You could find 64 teams to do that across Europe if you include countries that have two cups. Then you just have a straight knockout, three preliminary rounds then the quarter and semi finals and a final. 11 matches total for the finalists

Last edited:

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
the rule where the 3rd place Champions League group teams drop into the Europa League hurts the credibility of the competition. It makes it clear that it is an inferior tournament to the Champions League, because CL also-rans are considered good enough go into the EL knockouts. And the prize for winning it - automatic qualification for the CL - reinforces that.

:manny: