Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

concise

Veteran
Daps
I personally don’t think a salary cap could work. You do that and players will leave/not sign their contracts

i wonder what the legal ramifications currently are contract wise

Any super league player should surely be entitled to more money if they are going to be playing both super league and domestic matches

yeaaaa... this going to be one of the main reasons to kick them out of the domestic leagues when you consider certain teams will always have that Super League funding, leading them to potentially always be able to reload every year even if they do poorly.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
1. What do the teams forming their own tournament have to do with generational loyalty to clubs? They intend to still participate in their domestic competitons. Do you also realize the Champions League itself is a recent format of the previous European Cup?

2. Again, what does the number of teams or equitability have to do with anything? It is likely that revenue will be proportionally shared among these participating clubs anyway.

3. Then that is the fault of the NFLPA

None of those reasons you have stated have explained why you think people will get bored of the proposed tournament? People only watch the CL for the SAME EXACT teams that proposing to leave. The CL will flame out.

The idea behind it is watching the best teams in the world play each other over the course of an an entire season, meaning you get to exponentially increase viewership and revenue generating potential. Plus the new body will control the revenue, and commercial rights.

Now, I'm a traditionalist and love the present format, just offering an opinion as to why it makes sense for the clubs split.

1. Because local rivalries matter more to Europe and the clubs left out of this will suffer.

2. These NFL owners will see to it that there's a salary cap which will cause so may problems..

3. it's not all the best teams. French and Germans aren't there.

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
1. What do the teams forming their own tournament have to do with generational loyalty to clubs? They intend to still participate in their domestic competitons. Do you also realize the Champions League itself is a recent format of the previous European Cup?

2. Again, what does the number of teams or equitability have to do with anything? It is likely that revenue will be proportionally shared among these participating clubs anyway.

3. Then that is the fault of the NFLPA

None of those reasons you have stated have explained why you think people will get bored of the proposed tournament? People only watch the CL for the SAME EXACT teams that proposing to leave. The CL will flame out.

The idea behind it is watching the best teams in the world play each other over the course of an an entire season, meaning you get to exponentially increase viewership and revenue generating potential. Plus the new body will control the revenue, and commercial rights.

Now, I'm a traditionalist and love the present format, just offering an opinion as to why it makes sense for the clubs split.

The whole Superleague depends on the fact that they are allowed to play in domestic leagues and that players don't get banned from international play. Those two are pretty big "ifs" to depend on when they just dropped this bomb without any notice on UEFA/FIFA, which will no question asked for A LOT of compensation.

These clubs want a more profitable and even safer Champion's League for themselves are kinda expecting the establishment to play along because they are big clubs. Well, if FIFA/UEFA doesn't agree with this, the Superleague is fukked because this shyt will NOT have a Champion's League appeal if it's the only competitions these 20 teams are playing every year. Specially by year 3 of this experiment.

Last edited:

concise

Veteran
Daps
i said what i said. Americans are transplants number one meaning the loyalty is not there and two our leagues other than baseball have only been around in the current form for 50 years compared to over a hundred years for soccer in Europe.

:comeon: NFL is about to have season 102 this fall.
This is the NBA's 75th.
NHL also been aroumd over 100 years as well.

:stopitslime:

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
:comeon: NFL is about to have season 102 this fall.
This is the NBA's 75th.
NHL also been aroumd over 100 years as well.

:stopitslime:

i said current form. Nobody cares about NFL pre-Super Bowl era. Many of the franchises weren't around. There's no loyalty to the Jaguars and families haven't lived in the same area for nearly as long.. it's a country of transplants.

NHL isn't "American" only.. most of the teams that matter are Canadian. That's why i didn't mention them. imagine Montreal and Toronto leaving and Ottawa and Calgary left behind with no chance of winning the Cup. Canadian people would say that's dumb as hell..

concise

Veteran
Daps
i said current form. Nobody cares about NFL pre-Super Bowl era. Many of the franchises weren't around. There's no loyalty to the Jaguars and families haven't lived in the same area for nearly as long.. it's a country of transplants.

NHL isn't "American" only.. most of the teams that matter are Canadian. That's why i didn't mention them. imagine Montreal and Toronto leaving and Ottawa and Calgary left behind with no chance of winning the Cup. Canadian people would say that's dumb as hell..

No one cares about the pre-Super Bowl era?
That's like saying no one cares about European football before the European Cup became the Champions League. :mjlol:

If no one cared, it would have folded long before the Super Bowl era.

Montez

Superstar
Daps
I kinda think the anger towards this is tew much. Sky, The PL, the fans complaining when It was the next logical step. All these clubs dominate their individual leagues and have deep pockets, the CL was next.

Given the importance of CL football on club finances, it was going to happen. They didn't want another Leicester. When the CL final moved to Saturday, that was the first sign it was a matter of time. IMO FIFA awarding the World Cup to Qatar was a bigger farce than this.

- The Premier League won't ban these clubs. They will get an invite or two. Wouldn't be surprised if Newcastle is invited if MBS gains control.
- Everyone hates UEFA, they're essentially done
- The likes of Monaco, Celtic, Porto, Benfica, Roma and Rangers are gonna be stronger
- This is a product of spend spend spend culture
- FIFA won't ban these players.
- UEFA and the domestic leagues are in the stone ages when it comes to marketing and cost controls
- This international football schedule will be revamped

If you're a 5-7 club in Spain, Germany, you're pissed but you were already fukked.

Last edited:

J Money

No weapon formed against me shall prosper
Daps
What I will say though is the PL/FA loved when these big time money makers wanted to become owners. They loved all the income they were getting, best league in the world from all the players going over to England etc. They could have rejected all this foreign investment but only saw £££, now we are here

shyt has just been flipped on them :coffee: