Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
I'm just putting this out there. The Super League teams back up plan if they get kicked out of their domestic leagues is to go on an Exhibition Roadshow. When they aren't playing their tournament. The teams will go on different tours of America Asia and the Gulf at the same time playing the domestic teams of that Country spinning it as they are helping the global game and then finish the tour off with Barca vs Real in Beijing Liverpool vs United in LA Arsenal vs Spurs in Dubai Milan vs Inter in New York . Basically saying they are still giving the fans their biggest game of the season their historical derbies.
Glorified Harlem Globetrotters smh but it makes financial sense to do it.

However what relevancy will they have after a couple of years ? How many players would agree to join those teams if it means no Euro/Copa and no WC ?

The NFL system, which they take inspiration from, makes sense in the US as it's a league in one country with (almost ?) only American players. Don't makes as much sense in Europe IMO.

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
United Arsenal and Liverpool want the Super League so they can take even more money out of their clubs.

Spurs want the Super League to pay off the stadium quicker.

Citeh and Chelsea didn't want to be left behind.

Real Barca sand Atletico want to clear their debts quicker.

Inter and Milan don't want to be left behind. Inter are broke and Milan owned by a hedge fund and want to find a buyer
Juve being Juve.

Last edited:

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
Football is finished. ‘Project Restart’ was a warning shot and this is the kill. With the ESL, teams will have no incentive to be competitive in their domestic leagues because the money in ESL will be more lucrative. As a result, the knock-on effect on the CL, Europa and the new third tier European tournament will mean you’re going to have teams in the bottom half of their domestic leagues playing in these tournaments.

It’s also a complete ‘fukk You’ to the fans. If it’s going to run for the whole duration of the season, we’re gonna be expected to spend money to fly all over Europe every other week for away games (off the back of a pandemic). It’s gonna get to the point where the airline and hospitality industries hike up prices so the cost is going to be even higher than it already is.

No surprise that all the American owners were the driving force behind this.

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
Glorified Harlem Globetrotters smh but it makes financial sense to do it.

However what relevancy will they have after a couple of years ? How many players would agree to join those teams if it means no Euro/Copa and no WC ?

The NFL system, which they take inspiration from, makes sense in the US as it's a league in one country with (almost ?) only American players. Don't makes as much sense in Europe IMO.

Players being used as puppets. The clubs know they will go for the money. It's up to the top players of these clubs to say no but they won't.

If FIFA/UEFA cave if I was all the other clubs I would make the Breakaway clubs pay a Premium on transfers. Like a £10m player now costs 90m.

Sukairain

Shahenshah
Daps
Reppin
Straiya
Let's think about this rationally:

1. "Club football is way bigger than international football, therefore the threats to exclude players from World Cups are meaningless."

The World Cup, and this is pure facts, is the real money maker for football. Based on actual financial data about the revenue of various competitions, and TV ratings worldwide, this is once again pure facts. There is literally zero chance that a superleague can ever compete with a World Cup, I don't care if they sign up every single pro footballer in the world and it comes down to us Coli brehs who get called up to represent our countries at the World Cup - it will always outrate and outearn any club tournament by a vast margin. More people will watch and get excited about you and me kicking a ball around badly for our national teams at the World Cup than they will watching some sort of Brazil 1970 + Barcelona 2008 superteam assembled to play in the superleague.

1a. Quality does not matter. The average World Cup viewer couldn't tell you the difference between Sam Allardyce's Bolton Wanderers 2006 and Johann Cruyff's Netherlands 1974. The average person couldn't explain the offside law. They couldn't tell the difference between a perfectly executed pass and move routine to build up from defence, and a hoof from the goalkeeper to the big lad up front to knock down. The vast majority of football viewers are too ignorant to either know or care about whether the top players are in it or not, about whether something is really the highest level of the sport or not. If you market something as though it is the pinnacle of the sport, they'll swallow it up. It helps that the World Cup needs no marketing at all - this is the tournament of Pele, Maradona, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Zidane. The average idiot fan will automatically associate whoever the best player at any given World Cup - even if he is a middling League Two journeyman - as the equals of Pele et al. because the World Cup's brand has already been established. It can never be shaken as the pinnacle of world football.

1b. The proof of this can be seen in TV ratings. The all time record global TV viewership for El Clasico, the biggest fixture in club football, is 75 million. The all time record global TV viewership for the Champions League final is 380 million. The record figure for the World Cup final is 1.2 billion. Even the women's World Cup final smashes the TV audience for a match such as El Clasico, coming in at 83 million. Like I said in my first post on the matter today, there is no comparison between European club football and the World Cup. It's like comparing some League of Legends or Fortnite tournament hosted on Youtube and Twitch compared to a proper football match broadcast on an actual TV channel with actual things at stake.
2. "Domestic leagues and UEFA will be killed if they ban the big teams, therefore they will go along with this."

Domestic leagues and UEFA will not be "KiLlEd" if they ban the big teams. They are dead already. They were dead the second this superleague was announced. They have nothing to lose by banning the big teams and possibly everything to gain - it could be enough to shut it down. But in any case, what we are really dealing with here for the Premier League, for La Liga, for Serie A, for UEFA, is a question of do we just roll over and die or do we go down fighting and die?

2a. Death is assured no matter what happens. If this superleague goes ahead and the big clubs are kicked out, then the TV rights deals for the domestic leagues and for UEFA will plummet, and all the clubs will go bankrupt, and the entire pyramid structure across all of Europe will crumble. If the superleague goes ahead and the big clubs are not kicked out, within a few years time they will secede entirely and make their superleague a full-time thing, all week long, all season long.

2b. The question at hand here is not 'will the leagues die' - they are dead already, the superleague is a terminal diagnosis and the only question is will they die tomorrow or in 2030. Their only shot of survival is to undermine the competition before it starts.
3. "FIFA, UEFA, Sky, BT, and everybody else protesting this are just mad that they weren't in on the heist."

3a. In 1941 the only person who stood in the way of Hitler and domination of all Europe was Stalin. You're damn fukking straight I'm standing with Stalin, I don't give a shyt how evil he is and how many dozens of millions he killed. I'd stand with the devil himself to stop Hitler and his Hugo Boss fashion model squad. If the FIFA bigwigs can put a stop to this, I will build golden statues of Sepp Blatter and pray religiously to it every day. I will climb Mt Rushmore and carve the face of Jack Warner next to the other faces. So miss me with that hypocrisy shyt. I'm the one being pragmatic here by throwing my support behind what is objectively by far a lesser evil. You can keep on waiting forever for your flawless white knight to ride on in and save the day if you like.​

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
Unfortunately fans have Stockholm Syndrome. But if Domestic fans are serious they need not to buy season tickets not buy merchandise and hurt these clubs. These owners have shown their contempt for you it's about time you show it for them by hurting them where it hurts their pockets. Obviously like I said previously they can make this lost revenue up with their sporting roadshow but the domestic fans of these clubs can still show defiance.