Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
I'm going old man syndrome and DM is a holding midfielder in old money. The Italians and South Americans got better terms to distinguish between the various roles tbh. The numerical terms like 6 8 10 has made people lazy when it comes to defining players. A #10 in today's football is associated with only being an AM but totally negating the SS who were the #10's in most teams especially in the 2 forward era. And many AM's aren't really #10's.

Last edited:

SCORCH

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
He doesn't look "normal"? :mjtf:

Anyway he was the best. Never made a mistake, always had the players under control.

Nah, not buying it pal.

He was a weird looking fella who became a bit of a meme in his time.

Do you really think he could keep control on a wet and windy night in places like Stoke?:sitdown:

Last edited:

Lakerman0834

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I'm going old man syndrome and DM is a holding midfielder in old money. The Italians and South Americans got better terms to distinguish between the various roles tbh. The numerical terms like 6 8 10 has made people lazy when it comes to defining players. A #10 in today's football is associated with only being an AM but totally negating the SS who were the #10's in most teams especially in the 2 forward era. And many AM's aren't really #10's.
riquelme :wow:

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
Nah, not buying it pal.
He was a weird looking fella who became a bit of a meme in his time.
Do you really think he could keep control on a wet and windy night in places like Stoke?:sitdown:

:ufdup:

that's what english blab until foreigners like Drogba, Zlatan, Essien, Cantona turn up and crush the buildings ..

SCORCH

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
sorry could you say that again. i didn't get the relevance :whoo:

maybe use bigger text, longer sentences ..

There are loads of refs who shout / get angry with players, just none of them ever became a meme like Colina:ld:

Best ever referee claims for Colina are a joke.

SCORCH

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Tbh y'all and the rest of the footballing world doing Kante a disservice calling him a DM he is more than that.

When I think of DM I think of players like Xabi Mascherano Deschamps Mauro Silva Marcos Senna Gilberto Silva Makelele etc etc

Kante game is that of a b2b player. Just like it was for Davids, Gattuso Inces of the world before him.

It's like when people called pre-injury Essien a DM.

Daps
Yup. Euro 88 he was at CB. As he was when he and Voller got into their spitting contest in Italia 90.

Iirc in his first season at Milan he played like a third of the season as Baresi's CB partner.

LVG had him playing as the hybrid CB/DM in that Ajax team. Kinda like how Cruyff had Pep doing in the Dream Team era.

The 88 Euros was probably my first internationally tournament I remember watching live. 86 world cup dont really remember maybe because of time difference and having to go to bed early as I was still a kid
We were god damn awful in 88 as well,

And no one forgets the spitting incident in 1990, that's when you realise it wasnt just us who hated the germans as well

For the younger members who might not have been around then

That was the tournament the whole of England fell in love with Gazza. For me still England greatest ever player of when I've been alive
No one has come close to his talent on the International stage and what he did in that tournament

It's a shame injuries wrecked his career and he developed drinking problems because he was out injured the whole time

Rooney and what he did in 2004 Euros would come second

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
The 88 Euros was probably my first internationally tournament I remember watching live. 86 world cup dont really remember maybe because of time difference and having to go to bed early as I was still a kid
We were god damn awful in 88 as well,

And no one forgets the spitting incident in 1990, that's when you realise it wasnt just us who hated the germans as well

For the younger members who might not have been around then

That was the tournament the whole of England fell in love with Gazza. For me still England greatest ever player of when I've been alive
No one has come close to his talent on the International stage and what he did in that tournament

It's a shame injuries wrecked his career and he developed drinking problems because he was out injured the whole time

Rooney and what he did in 2004 Euros would come second

You definitely had to live and remember the Gazza era from the 89/90-90/91 to really understand why he is held in such high regard. It's like now the reason why people compare Grealish to Gazza is because of the passing dribbling and close control. Maybe only McManaman is the only player that came close to that from an English player and maybe West Ham Joe Cole but his passing was never on the level of Gazza or Macca tbh over the last 30 years. And then like you said Rooney at Euro 04 is the only other English player who took a tournament by the scruff of the neck and made everyone else take notice.

Gazza was performing in peak Serie A before Nesta broke his leg in training.

The one thing people forget about Gazza was that he performed/scored important goals in the big games too.

Gazza's drinking problems are probably a combination of things. The English footballing culture at the time, loneliness, the childhood trauma he suffered (He watched his mates little brother get runover while Gazza was looking after him. Gazza was 10 at the time.) Glenn Roeder RIP was suppose to go to Italy with him to look after him as he was one of the few people that could get into Gazzas head in a positive way. Which probably another reason why Hoddle had him on his coaching staff.

Montez

Superstar
Daps

Pep spitting.

Thinking of Ainsley, Alaba, Trent (defensively not the greatest but you can hide that in some respects) here. Bellerin pre-injury was really good at this too. Their passing ranges and ability to play in tighter spaces are way better than traditional wing backs.