Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
Yeah I agree Grealish is the closest we have got to Gazza now, and for me he has to start for England come the Euros. Weather he does or not his another matter. We haven't got the best manager in charge that I have faith in

Macca, the way he used to glide past players and hold them off whilst running was very similar to Gazza, but he was more of a winger than a CM.
Fergie knew how good he was and how important he was to how Liverpool played , always used to put 2 onto him and said as soon as he receives the ball, close him down immediately

Joe Cole was a special talent. The showboating section on Soccer Am was originally called the Joe Cole showboating show, and that was when he was playing school boy football at the age of 14 to 15.
Did he really drive with the ball and glide past players like Gazza did when he was a professional? I don't really remember him doing it much, maybe that was because of the restrictions Maureen put on him and how he coached him

You say Nesta broke his leg, but wasn't it a really bad tackle by Gazza that caused it. So you can only really blame Gazza for it.
Wasn't there something where Gazza didn't think they were playing seriously and then something happened and Gazza was like "oh we are playing seriously now are we" and then went and did a tackle like in the 91 cup final.
Or was that another horrific injury he recieved at some point in his career ?

Yeah I remember that story about his mates little brother getting killed,he talked about it in the Gazza documentary.
Don't think I knew about Glenn Roader, knew they were good mates though shame really because he took Jimmy 5 Bellies instead to Italy , what was just a recipe for disaster for Gazza

For me he scored the 2 best goals ever scored at the old Wembley

As I've got older I understand Hoddle's decision for not taking him to the World Cup, but I think I still don't agree with it.
Even if we took him so he was like an impact sub we would have got past Argentina with him playing at some point in the game

Macca was more than just a winger. Roy Evans had him playing a more free role behind Fowler and Collymore and when Real won the CL final that he won MoTM he was playing in a midfield 3 which he did on many occasion for Real besides playing wide.

West Ham Joe Cole use to play central under Glenn Roeder and then when Trevor Brooking took over when Roeders illness first flared up. He was the main reason why they nearly stayed up that season. When Ranieri signed Cole he said he saw him as the replacement for Zola with his passing and dribbling. He wasnt really a driver Duff and Robben did more of that with the ball but Cole had his tricks when dribbling.

Yeah Gazza was to blame for his broke leg but he still went to tackle Nesta and came off second best. Much like most other players who come up against Nesta. It was a foreshowing for both of their future careers would go. Gazza breaking down due to the wear and tear of his injuries and alcohol and Nesta making sure good players come off second best against him

Gazza’s tales from the past proves a fascinating insight into the real Glenn Roeder

It was when Gascoigne was on the verge of completing his dream move to Italian giants Lazio ? despite his cruciate knee ligament injury playing for Tottenham in the 1991 FA Cup final – where Roeder stepped up to the plate again.

He was about to retire from football after an impressive career in which he captained QPR and Newcastle but Roeder still felt duty bound to help his mate along the way, especially as Gazza was taking such a big step into the unknown; he couldn't let him down now?

“In August 1991, I went to Rome to meet the Lazio management and be officially introduced to the club.

“My dad and some of the family came, along with Glenn Roeder, my old team-mate from Newcastle. He was planning his retirement from football and was looking to go into coaching.

“Although he's ten years older than me, I'd always got on well with him and he had been great to me since I'd come south to Spurs, sheltering me when I was in trouble, giving me helpful advice and showing me real kindness.

“It had been decided that he and his wife Faith and his family would come and live in Rome while I was there to keep an eye on me.

“He would be my football friend and companion and stop me from doing anything too daft. It was also an opportunity for him to look at Italian coaching methods, to see how they did things, which he thought would be useful to him in his future career.”

But with the Roeder family looking to settle in Italy for the foreseeable future, things suddenly took a turn for the worse, and it was a familiar old story that proved to be Gascoigne's downfall.

Whilst on a short visit back to the North-East, he was enjoying a night out with some old friends when disaster struck.

In a Newcastle nightclub, he was suddenly a target for assault and in a completely unprovoked attack, was punched in the face. Whilst falling to the floor, his knee gave way ? undoing all the surgeon's good work from that earth-shattering Cup final injury.

I'll let Gazza take up the story?

“When Glenn heard what had happened, he said, 'that's it.' He didn't even want to hear my explanation. It had not been my fault but Glenn said I'd promised myself never to get into scrapes like that, and not put myself in any situation where it could happen.

“I argued this wasn't fair. It could have happened anywhere. But he wouldn't listen. He said that was the end, that I'd had my last chance. And he cancelled all his arrangements for Rome.”

With France 98 and Hoddle not taking Gazza. Gazza was a habitual line stepper. Hoddle gave him advanced warning to keep himself fit and in typical Gazza fashion he phucked up. Chris Evans (TV/Radio Broadcaster not Captain America for those who may not know who im talking about.) and Danny Barker enabled him when they should of stopped him.

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps
I know im overdoing it with these two but we're 2 minutes in and McTominay and James already with 1996 MLS touches :snoop: