Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

Daps
You definitely had to live and remember the Gazza era from the 89/90-90/91 to really understand why he is held in such high regard. It's like now the reason why people compare Grealish to Gazza is because of the passing dribbling and close control. Maybe only McManaman is the only player that came close to that from an English player and maybe West Ham Joe Cole but his passing was never on the level of Gazza or Macca tbh over the last 30 years. And then like you said Rooney at Euro 04 is the only other English player who took a tournament by the scruff of the neck and made everyone else take notice.

Gazza was performing in peak Serie A before Nesta broke his leg in training.

The one thing people forget about Gazza was that he performed/scored important goals in the big games too.

Gazza's drinking problems are probably a combination of things. The English footballing culture at the time, loneliness, the childhood trauma he suffered (He watched his mates little brother get runover while Gazza was looking after him. Gazza was 10 at the time.) Glenn Roeder RIP was suppose to go to Italy with him to look after him as he was one of the few people that could get into Gazzas head in a positive way. Which probably another reason why Hoddle had him on his coaching staff.

Yeah I agree Grealish is the closest we have got to Gazza now, and for me he has to start for England come the Euros. Weather he does or not his another matter. We haven't got the best manager in charge that I have faith in

Macca, the way he used to glide past players and hold them off whilst running was very similar to Gazza,
Fergie knew how good he was and how important he was to how Liverpool played , always used to put 2 onto him and said as soon as he receives the ball, close him down immediately

Joe Cole was a special talent. The showboating section on Soccer Am was originally called the Joe Cole showboating show, and that was when he was playing school boy football at the age of 14 to 15.
Did he really drive with the ball and glide past players like Gazza did when he was a professional? I don't really remember him doing it much, maybe that was because of the restrictions Maureen put on him and how he coached him

You say Nesta broke his leg, but wasn't it a really bad tackle by Gazza that caused it. So you can only really blame Gazza for it.
Wasn't there something where Gazza didn't think they were playing seriously and then something happened and Gazza was like "oh we are playing seriously now are we" and then went and did a tackle like in the 91 cup final.
Or was that another horrific injury he recieved at some point in his career that I'm remembering ?

Yeah I remember that story about his mates little brother getting killed,he talked about it in the Gazza documentary.
Don't think I knew about Glenn Roader, knew they were good mates though shame really because he took Jimmy 5 Bellies instead to Italy , what was just a recipe for disaster for Gazza

For me he scored the 2 best goals ever scored at the old Wembley

As I've got older I understand Hoddle's decision for not taking him to the World Cup, but I think I still don't agree with it.
Even if we took him so he was like an impact sub we would have got past Argentina with him playing at some point in the game

Last edited:

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps

Pep spitting.

Thinking of Ainsley, Alaba, Trent (defensively not the greatest but you can hide that in some respects) here. Bellerin pre-injury was really good at this too. Their passing ranges and ability to play in tighter spaces are way better than traditional wing backs.

He could've spared us 1 minute and 39 seconds and just admitted it's so left back can be there to foul quickly and stop a counter attack :skip: