The Official Film Room Screenplay Feedback Thread

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
I mean I get it, it's asking a lot to have people read full-length scripts, especially in a week. I'm still gonna give your script a read and will share my feedback between Sunday and Monday. You want me to PM everyone your script or you got it?
I posted it on page 1.

As for the first script sent, I'll try to read 15-20 pages before next Sun. No way do I read the entire thing, even if I like it.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
All right, I'ma start it off. Here's my Avatar spin off. It's only 10 pages, obviously not done. If you never watched Avatar/Korra, they're animation shows that focus on the 4 elements of water, air, fire, and earth. Each element has its own tribe where they can learn bending, which means they manipulate these elements in different ways. Only the Avatar can learn all 4.

EDIT: How come the link doesn't embed on here? I remember it used to do it.

@El Villano Ingobernable read your script. First, let me start off by saying I don't watch Avatar aside from a few episodes and I'm not very familiar with the lore or characters. Having said that, I liked your script. You did a great job in describing the visuals. Not too wordy but also dynamic enough to set a scene and give me a clear understanding of what you were describing. I especially liked the opening when you talk about the portal and the tree of time. You managed to describe a surreal and complex visual without overwriting. Nice job

Dialogue was very good. You were able to establish Tai's personality and also his world without being overly expository. All of the characters also had pretty distinct voices

Formatting was good as well as the grammar. One thing I'll say though is unless you're trying to direct this yourself, you should take out all the camera angles.

Few other things I noticed, when you wrote "Even though he is young he is mature for his age," try to avoid writing things about characters in descriptions that an audience watching wouldn't be able to tell visually. Remember you're writing visuals for a potential audience. Anything about the characters we need to know should be explained through visual cues and dialogue, not descriptions that only a person reading a script would be able to see

“The city appears to be the same as the one in the Last Airbender” Assume that the person reading the script has never seen the Last Airbender and actually describe what the city looks like

Get rid of all those quotes you put in the descriptions (ie. “You’re a jerk” “You’re no fun.” “Hey she likes you.”) Either make all of this dialogue or describe a characters' facial expression (ie. She glares at him, she grins as she stares at him, etc.) Goes back to what I said before about writing for an audience instead of a reader

But yeah man overall I liked it and it has me wanting to see more. You definitely have a gift for world building and writing visuals. Are you trying to shop a spec script around or are you just doing this for fun?

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
@Drew Wonder

Thanks for reading. I just did that for fun. I was coming off my binge watch for Korra, so I was in the mood to do something for kicks.

The quotes thing, I've seen it done in a script before. Figured it was easier to let the reader know the characters thoughts.

I do need to work on "writing for an audience."

And the angle shots I put in because I saw it done in the first animation script I read. Just thought it'll be a better visual for the reader.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
@Drew Wonder

Was that your script you sent out first? I read 6 pages. I'll try to get some more in later.

Only thing I noticed off was punctuation errors. "Good morning sweetie" should have a comma after morning. That's just one example of a few errors.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@Drew Wonder

Thanks for reading. I just did that for fun. I was coming off my binge watch for Korra, so I was in the mood to do something for kicks.

The quotes thing, I've seen it done in a script before. Figured it was easier to let the reader know the characters thoughts.

I do need to work on "writing for an audience."

And the angle shots I put in because I saw it done in the first animation script I read. Just thought it'll be a better visual for the reader.

Gotcha. I do know there are some contests out there that allow scripts for existing tv shows and movies so it's definitely worth finishing this.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@Drew Wonder

Was that your script you sent out first? I read 6 pages. I'll try to get some more in later.

Only thing I noticed off was punctuation errors. "Good morning sweetie" should have a comma after morning. That's just one example of a few errors.

Yup, it's mine. I'm doing away with the one week deadline so whenever you have time. Good looks