Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Were you there for the "golden goal" years? :russ:

At least now in extra time you play the full 30 minutes no matter who scores so there's a chance for redemption. Back then the game would end as soon as a goal was scored. It was a lot more dramatic. Fans and teams would lose all hope in one moment.

Every tie game could have been decided by any random goal at any point. The team that scored the golden goal in this game would have had 2x as many goals scored as the team that didn't. At least that's still a goal in the course of play instead of just a sequence of penalty bullshyt.

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
not to turn this into a nostalgia thread but my naija regulars y’all know

The heartbreak of 94 when Nigeria had Italy and Baggio beat was something

1998 was a complete sabotage job by that team you cannot convince me otherwise. They were a loaded squad and to lose to Denmark 4-1 they barely showed effort.

Some things are seared in your memory :smh:
98 was a slice of humble pie. We didn’t focus on the game at hand and started looking to a possible QF rematch with Brazil (beat them in the SF at the 96 Olympics).

We topped the group but overlooked/underestimated Denmark. Once you get to the KO every game is a final till the final, don’t think our players saw it like that.

Last edited:

Ukbrotha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Naija, London, Earth
not to turn this into a nostalgia thread but my naija regulars y’all know

The heartbreak of 94 when Nigeria had Italy and Baggio beat was something

1998 was a complete sabotage job by that team you cannot convince me otherwise. They were a loaded squad and to lose to Denmark 4-1 they barely showed effort.

Some things are seared in your memory :smh:

Cried real tears watching my favourite player at the time destroying Naija. :snoop:

SmarkMero

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm gonna need an HD version of this :pachaha:
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Slim Charles

All Star
Daps
Brazil celebrating like that is up to them so all good. but did get me thinking, it would have been hilarious if German danced after every goal during the 7-1.

The Maracana would have gone crazy and pretty sure Brazil team wouldn't be best pleased... It's all good until the shoe is on the other foot haha

MVike28

right around the ACC
Daps
Reppin
T.O.
Brazil celebrating like that is up to them so all good. but did get me thinking, it would have been hilarious if German danced after every goal during the 7-1.

The Maracana would have gone crazy and pretty sure Brazil team wouldn't be best pleased... It's all good until the shoe is on the other foot haha
:unimpressed:

Because Germans are known for flamboyant displays of dancing?