The Official FIFA World Cup Thread - QATAR 2022

WHO WILL WIN?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
It's not just Neymar and you know that :comeon:

Vini Jr is one of the few as you mentioned. Many Black/mixed Brazilian soccer players throughout history have been known for being :mjpls:
Brazil is one of the few countries where your money can make you change your race. I remember in college reading an academic journal where Pele said he used to be black, but he transcended that due to his fame.

Sensitive Christian Grey

The Fisher King
Daps
Reppin
Welsh Hills
Now that I think about it, it’s a little crazy that Japan has failed to meet Brazil in the quarter-final two tournaments in a row :ohmy:

What are the odds that with all the games the opportunity presented itself twice

King Static X

The Realest King (የተከበረው ንጉሥ)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kings County
Son what you know about Reinaldo (old-school player from the 70s who was told by Operation Condor itself during the 78 World Cup to stop that shyt after throwing up the Black Power fist and was banned from the 82 edition for the same reason)? Or Paulo Cezar Caju who was on the same type of time and gets done dirty by the media til this day. Serginho Chulapa who used to wait until the game was over to go on the stands and beat the shyt out of whomever was yelling slurs at him. Wladimir who was one of the main cats in his club leading the movement against the military dictatorship. Dario Alegria who came from a quilombo and helped map the quilombos in his state so they could have public policies drawn up for them. The elite silences cats like these while propping up dudes like Neymar cause it's convenient, that's why it's easy to believe Brazilian players some special brand of c00ns. Every country is gonna have its real ones and its sellouts.
I never said that all of them were like that :gucci:

King Static X

The Realest King (የተከበረው ንጉሥ)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kings County

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
Sheesh, reading some of these comments you'd think the Coli would want to take the WC back just 16 teams.

It was a strong, proper tournament and only 1 African country qualified for the final tournament :mjpls:

That will be better to grow the sport.

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
Neymar ≠ "damn near all of them"

Vinicius had to go on a "I'm black and I'm proud" campaign just a few months ago cause folks in Spain kept telling him to stop dancing like a monkey

Richarlison's known locally for speaking against police brutality and supporting BLM
That ain't correct fam, Richarlison, Juninho, Rai and some others are few known players who are indeed leftists (or at least voted for Lula).

But many of the rest are evangelicals who supported Bolsonaro : Ney, Allison, Dani Alves, Paqueta, Thiago Silva, and many other known players (Lucas Moura, Gabriel Jesus, Cafu, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, ...) voted (or called to vote) for Bolso.

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
Underdogs STILL gettings smashed ...

Only 9 POLL options left .. Spain, Portugal or "SomeoneElse" will be checking out tomorrow ...

Last 8
Argentina
Netherlands
France
England
Brazil
Croatia

Last 16
Spain
Portugal

-
SomebodyElse

African_brehda

Superstar
Daps
Hold on. So Brazil played friendlies with Ghana and Korea, after already facing Uruguay in the qualifiers. Cos they knew they were going to face one of us in the round of 16 :ohhh:

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
Y'all keep saying this but ask yourself, would the Isle of Man actually even qualify?

An expanded WC would just mean a R32 as the first KO rd. Essentially, the 32 teams that started this tournament would be in the KOs.

The 'smaller' nations wouldn't even make it out of the group and I think y'all overestimating how many "weak footballing nations would qualify", it wouldn't mainly benefit good nations that didn't qualify because of allocations.

an additional 4 from CAF: Nigeria, Algeria, Egypt, DRC
an additional 3 from UEFA: Italy, Sweden, Norway

That's 7/16 solid nations already

Then what was the point of them being there? Look at Qatar. They were just fodder for the other 3 teams. That berth was superfluous. Now, I'm all for the host nation getting the auto-berth. In some cases, that might be the ONLY way a team ever gets to the WC. But no, I'm not for extra matches for the sake of extra matches. We lucked up this time around with nations like KSI, Morocco, Senegal, etc. Most of the time, there's a scrub at the bottom of the group. Now you want to potentially add in even more?

Also, I don't know if you watched CAF, but Nigera and Algeria didn't look particularly good. For sure not at the level of the WC. Same for Sweden and Norway. I don't care if these countries have "stars". You have to have TEAMS to make it in.
Now do I think we could rethink allocation? Yes.
But adding more teams does nothing but dilute the schedule with meaningless matches. And I'm from America. We play A LOT of meaningless matches.

MajesticLion

Superstar
Daps
I disagree here. Vehemently. Even in a 16-team WC there were these types of blowouts. I mean Brazil got hit 7-1 in a SEMI-FINAL in their backyard.

UEFA got 13/32 slots. Need to reallocate if anything. If not just call the WC a Euros with Argentina and Brazil.

FIFA will market the move as positive for the non-traditional nations, but it's really to squeeze blood from stones of their federations. This isn't a new plan, this has been a card Havelange kept in his pocket to play. More "involvement", more money. The current system is weighted to let Euro countries make it to the knockout stages anyway. I doubt any expanded system will be different. All it ends up doing is making it possible for countries that love shoring up self-esteem by beating up on the Faroe Islands twice a year, by allowing them to potentially face India in a tournament and do the same.

The reallocation you're envisioning is very, very unlikely.

jj23

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Then what was the point of them being there? Look at Qatar. They were just fodder for the other 3 teams. That berth was superfluous. Now, I'm all for the host nation getting the auto-berth. In some cases, that might be the ONLY way a team ever gets to the WC. But no, I'm not for extra matches for the sake of extra matches. We lucked up this time around with nations like KSI, Morocco, Senegal, etc. Most of the time, there's a scrub at the bottom of the group. Now you want to potentially add in even more?

Also, I don't know if you watched CAF, but Nigera and Algeria didn't look particularly good. For sure not at the level of the WC. Same for Sweden and Norway. I don't care if these countries have "stars". You have to have TEAMS to make it in.
Now do I think we could rethink allocation? Yes.
But adding more teams does nothing but dilute the schedule with meaningless matches. And I'm from America. We play A LOT of meaningless matches.
If they try it, it either helps or will be ditched if it sucks. At this stage we can all make assumptions until they do it then we definitively say ...nah, that's shyt.

Brehs like you have made good points against and some brehs have made good points for.

Let's see what happens