The Official FIFA World Cup Thread - QATAR 2022

WHO WILL WIN?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps
I'm seeing a Japan-Korea QF. Brazil is a paper tiger in meltdown mode over losing their defense and Croatia are Belgium 2.0
We need an old fashioned duel to the death with 2 battle scarred shoguns. Tremendous. For the culture.
stevie.png

Volt

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Rio
I'm seeing a Japan-Korea QF. Brazil is a paper tiger in meltdown mode over losing their defense and Croatia are Belgium 2.0
We need an old fashioned duel to the death with 2 battle scarred shoguns. Tremendous. For the culture.
:dahell: :mjlol:

Laughable. No team in this WC has a better defensive core than Thiago Silva, Marquinhos, and Casemiro. Danilo is coming back next game too.

I had hoped the Asian teams would do well, but they really didn't luck out on the seeding. Better luck next time, Asian brehs. :demonic:
Dap + Rep:russ:

As for France vs. England... if there was ever a chance for England to shake off their paper tiger reputation, it's this one. France is one of the favorites despite losing so many key players.

That's going to be a must-watch game. Most of the quarter-finals will be tbh. No easy games at all.

cobra

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
those people who broke into sterling's house are actually time travellers from a future where Raheem sterling starts and ENG gets knocked out on pens

PYRRHUS 88

Shredder
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Realistic Coop Replica
Obviously Son is Korea's icon (and delivered yet another clutch moment with the last minute nutmeg assist)

With that being said, their most talented player is #18 Lee Kang-in. Korea looked:yawn:against Urugay (0-0) and then were getting washed 2-0 by Ghana when this boy came on and within 60 seconds instantly changed the game with a peach of an assist for Cho and was then central to their dominance after that. Then followed that up by finally getting a starting spot against Portugal and was instrumental. Since his introduction, Korea have looked a different team.

(Fun fact: as an 18-year old in 2019 he led Korea to the final of the U20 World Cup and won the Golden Ball award for being the best player at that tournament. The Golden Boot award went to a 19-year old Erling Haaland, who famously scored 9 goals in a single game against Honduras)

Strengths:
Dribbling - Top 3 most dribbles in La Liga, completion % is crazy: 71.0% vs his peers--Vini Jr (47.8%), Rodrygo (46.7%), Fati (46.0%), etc is an insane number
Key passes
Can play as a #10, wide on either side, or as a #8 in a 3-man midfield
Whips it like De Bruyne
Scrappy like Ji-sung Park

Weaknesses:
Could & should score more goals, has a great shot on him but tends to shoot from miles out, resulting in umpteen almost-Golazo's from long range that crash off the woodwork or narrowly miss, etc. Moving to a better team that play closer to the opposition's goal would unlock this part of his game.
He's like 5'7 so although he contests them gamely, he doesn't win a high % of arial duels.

TL;DR he's legitimately one of the best young players in La Liga. Here are a few of his highlights from the last year, including making guys like Busquets, Kroos, Camavinga, Alaba and others look foolish.

If Korea can get him the ball quickly in transitions, his creativity could be the key to unlock Son. If that happens, Korea could be in with a decent puncher's chance against Brazil.

chineebai

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Japan vs Korea would be some ww2 type shyt. The amount of nationalism on the Korean side would be absolutely insane.

jj23

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Those eras had bigger names and were maybe better on paper but this England team would probably beat them if they faced off in a knockout game tbh.

Gerrard and Lampard are better than Rice and Bellingham but if i wanted a functioning midfield i know who i'm choosing.

Besides it's basically just the defence, slot a Rio in to today's England and it's not a discussion, really.
And Ashley Cole

Slim Charles

All Star
Daps
yeh I’d take this team over 2006 England. And that’s purely because it functions better and has players like Saka, Foden, Bellingham and hell even Henderson who move into pockets of space and just seem way more dynamic in how they play. Now of course 2006 had Scholes, Gerrard, Lampard and Rooney but as a team whether that’s because players were too similar or because of Sven they didn’t function well at all.

however I would 100% take the 2006 back 4.

Ashley Cole vs Mbappe would be a great battle

Ukbrotha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Naija, London, Earth
Those eras had bigger names and were maybe better on paper but this England team would probably beat them if they faced off in a knockout game tbh.

Gerrard and Lampard are better than Rice and Bellingham but if i wanted a functioning midfield i know who i'm choosing.

Besides it's basically just the defence, slot a Rio in to today's England and it's not a discussion, really.
Firstly he said Technically. Which is laughable because only Foden and Kane is in that class. 2ndly, That generations biggest issue was not being able to get the right manager who could blend the team together rather than ensure Gerrard and Lampard plays because that's what the public wants. When the option to use Hargreaves more and drop one of them. Man for man, it's not close. This side have a better balance for sure but in terms of overall quality. It's not close. You said only Rio like A.Cole was not also world class for England. Even Southgate would take that group over this one. and let's wait till these guys beat a top team before we start crowning them.

Last edited:

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
Obviously Son is Korea's icon (and delivered yet another clutch moment with the last minute nutmeg assist)

With that being said, their most talented player is #18 Lee Kang-in. Korea looked:yawn:against Urugay (0-0) and then were getting washed 2-0 by Ghana when this boy came on and within 60 seconds instantly changed the game with a peach of an assist for Cho and was then central to their dominance after that. Then followed that up by finally getting a starting spot against Portugal and was instrumental. Since his introduction, Korea have looked a different team.

(Fun fact: as an 18-year old in 2019 he led Korea to the final of the U20 World Cup and won the Golden Ball award for being the best player at that tournament. The Golden Boot award went to a 19-year old Erling Haaland, who famously scored 9 goals in a single game against Honduras)

Strengths:
Dribbling - Top 3 most dribbles in La Liga, completion % is crazy: 71.0% vs his peers--Vini Jr (47.8%), Rodrygo (46.7%), Fati (46.0%), etc is an insane number
Key passes
Can play as a #10, wide on either side, or as a #8 in a 3-man midfield
Whips it like De Bruyne
Scrappy like Ji-sung Park

Weaknesses:
Could & should score more goals, has a great shot on him but tends to shoot from miles out, resulting in umpteen almost-Golazo's from long range that crash off the woodwork or narrowly miss, etc. Moving to a better team that play closer to the opposition's goal would unlock this part of his game.
He's like 5'7 so although he contests them gamely, he doesn't win a high % of arial duels.

TL;DR he's legitimately one of the best young players in La Liga. Here are a few of his highlights from the last year, including making guys like Busquets, Kroos, Camavinga, Alaba and others look foolish.

If Korea can get him the ball quickly in transitions, his creativity could be the key to unlock Son. If that happens, Korea could be in with a decent puncher's chance against Brazil.

you american breh :troll: ?

Slim Charles

All Star
Daps
Surely got to be one upset in the 2nd round. So far just been a procession for the favourites

Although there’s some closer match ups this half of the 2nd round. Korea, Switzerland and Morocco gonna make it difficult for their opponents. And Japan vs Croatia is a fairly even match up