The Official FIFA World Cup Thread - QATAR 2022

WHO WILL WIN?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
I see it as 51-49 France tbh, i just think France might have the edge in terms of nous and experience up front with Giroud and Griezmann. Then of course the brilliance of Mbappe.

I think you'll edge it, just.

One thing England have over France is a ridiculous bench.

It's going to be a real chess match i think.:jbhmm:

Midfield battle will be huge.
I first wanted to say it was 50/50 but didnt want people to tell I was trying not to jinx it as well :russ:

But really the teams are very similar in shape and player types. So if Southgate isnt trying no 3 man defense, I think both teams are carbon copy almost. We obviously have the X factor with Mbrrrappé and (a bit) more experience but you do indeed have the depth and also a better team in possession.

I'm more confident in beating Spain or Argentina than I am of beating England and always rated your squad highly. That's why the Southgate criticism was always strange to me lol

For the match itself, I think it would probably be a good back and forth. None of us really want the ball to be honest, (though we can play possession) because we fare much better on the counter.

jj23

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Firstly he said Technically. Which is laughable because only Foden and Kane is in that class. 2ndly, That generations biggest issue was not being able to get the right manager who could blend the team together rather than ensure Gerrard and Lampard plays because that's what the public wants. When the option to use Hargreaves more and drop one of them. Man for man, it's not close. This side have a better balance for sure but in terms of overall quality. It's not close. You said only Rio like A.Cole was not also world class for England. Even Southgate would take that group over this one. and let's wait till these guys beat a top team before we start crowning them.
Why do we pretend like Rio was more of a world class player than Ashley Cole.

After Rooney, for me it was Cole, then Gerrard then Rio

Ukbrotha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Naija, London, Earth

I've never seen anyone even intimate that Rio was more world class than Ashley Cole. Cole was always the more indisputable one I've heard of so I'm surprised he went with Rio.

gho3st

plata or plomo
Daps
Reppin
I've never seen anyone even intimate that Rio was more world class than Ashley Cole. Cole was always the more indisputable one I've heard of so I'm surprised he went with Rio.
I think you overrate those golden generation players. Ashley Cole and Ferdinand were class. And thats about it.

they were not as talented and well rounded on the wide areas as they are now. Even the type of midfielders they have are better as a group.

Gilver

Really?
Daps
Reppin
NW, UK

I just said Rio because we're fine at LB with Shaw and Chilwell(when he's in), if you put Cole in we're better, but if you put Rio in this England team we're a lot better.

Both had periods where they were the best in the world in their position, no shade to Cole.

Ukbrotha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Naija, London, Earth
I think you overrate those golden generation players. Ashley Cole and Ferdinand were class. And thats about it.

they were not as talented and well rounded on the wide areas as they are now. Even the type of midfielders they have are better as a group.

I think you definitely overrated this current gen. by a lot actually.

Gilver

Really?
Daps
Reppin
NW, UK
Also on the 'technically better' stuff 2002/2006 v now, it's mostly the attack.

It's pretty even overall but England's wingers in 2006 were David Beckham, Joe Cole, Aaron Lennon, Stewart Downing and Theo Walcott.

From them only Beckham gets in today's squad, and that's probably more as a central player.

Central midfield - 2002/2006>now on paper but they couldn't play as a team so it's pointless.

Slim Charles

All Star
Daps
if you remember how average we played in that era it makes sense why everyone picking this current squad even if 2006 era had more world class players.

Only time I felt we ever looked good was Euros 2004 and that seemed mostly because Rooney was unplayable until he was injured. 2006 and 2010 WCs we were awful and 2008 we didn't even qualify.

But yeh player for player and what they did at club level team was stacked. Cole, Rio, Terry, Campbell (more 2002-2004), Gerrard, Scholes, Beckham, Rooney a ridiculous list of players who never got past a QF.

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
Just A novice watching the World Cup brehs…Is Japan any good? What’s their strength ?
Japan are tier 2 or 3 depending (if we take tier 1 is the elite teams). They were the best team is Asia 15 years ago but slowly started to fade by 2010s and only got back to their previous levels the last couple of years.

Their strengths are a certain relentlessness overall : good press, very mobile going forward and giving passing options. They are a good counter attacking team and they have a couple of good shooters who do not have the Honda/Nakamura range.

Gilver

Really?
Daps
Reppin
NW, UK
if you remember how average we played in that era it makes sense why everyone picking this current squad even if 2006 era had more world class players.

Only time I felt we ever looked good was Euros 2004 and that seemed mostly because Rooney was unplayable until he was injured. 2006 and 2010 WCs we were awful and 2008 we didn't even qualify.

But yeh player for player and what they did at club level team was stacked. Cole, Rio, Terry, Campbell (more 2002-2004), Gerrard, Scholes, Beckham, Rooney a ridiculous list of players who never got past a QF.
This pretty much, back then we had better individuals overall than we do now(but it's closer than some think), but this is a a much better team.

As a group, they've already achieved far more than the 'golden generation' ever did.

I think France win, but if England get past them, it's SF, F and SF in three major tournaments, something that era could only dream of.

People forget how bad those England teams were(like you say, 2004 aside).