Essential The Official ESPN Insider Thread (ESPN+)

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
@Skooby can you post the ESPN best 25 under 25 NBA players?

NBA's best 25 under 25: New and next superstar rankings
i

1. Giannis Antetokounmpo
Milwaukee Bucks
Forward

Any debate over the top spot ended when Anthony Davis turned 25 just after our last edition. That leaves Giannis, one of the leading contenders for MVP with his Bucks on track to post the NBA's best record, as an easy choice.

As if Antetokounmpo getting to the rim for a league-leading 4.2 dunks per game (per Basketball-Reference.com) wasn't scary enough, he has recently started making 3-pointers. After shooting 13 percent beyond the arc before the new year, Giannis is hitting 36 percent in 2019. If Antetokounmpo keeps that up, prayer may be the only defense for him. -- Pelton

i

2. Joel Embiid
Philadelphia 76ers
Center

When healthy, Embiid is a dominant presence on both ends of the court. Besides averaging 27 points and 11 rebounds per game this season, Embiid ranks first in defensive rebounds, second in free throws made and attempted, and seventh in blocks.

If there is a concern, it's about how his heavier workload impacts his health. Not only is he playing more games, but his minutes per game have increased from 25.4 to 30.4 and now 33.7. He is currently sidelined with right-knee soreness and has dealt with back tightness this season. -- Marks

i

3. Nikola Jokic
Denver Nuggets
Center

Denver's franchise center already has shown to be one of the best passing big men -- if not the best -- of all time. But Jokic also is averaging 20 PPG for the first time in his career. He'll never be the most nimble player on the defense, but his smarts and the team's small strategic tweaks this season to play him farther up on screen-and-rolls have helped him immensely.

If and when his perimeter shooting numbers rebound to normal levels, he could easily find himself in future MVP conversations. -- Herring

i

4. Karl-Anthony Towns
Minnesota Timberwolves
Center

Since struggling in October (19 PPG, 10.6 RPG and 43.8 percent shooting) with the franchise mired in controversy, Towns has put together an All-NBA-type season. From November forward, he has played closer to the level that made him a third-team All-NBA choice last season, averaging 23.8 PPG and 12.3 RPG (including 3.4 offensive rebounds) and shooting 52 percent from the field. Towns is also one of the most durable players in the NBA, having played 82 games in three consecutive seasons before being sidelined recently with a concussion.

His weaknesses are getting to the line (only 5.4 free throw attempts per game) and at the other end. Towns currently ranks No. 87 among all players with a defensive real-plus minus (RPM) of 1.28.

Towns could benefit financially from Anthony Davis' reduced playing time in New Orleans. Currently signed to a five-year, $158 million contract, Towns will see that number increase to $189 million if he earns any All-NBA spot this season. -- Marks

i

5. Ben Simmons
Philadelphia 76ers
Guard

The youngest player in this season's All-Star Game, Simmons has quickly established himself as one of the league's most versatile contributors as a 6-foot-10 point guard.

There's no question Simmons will be a star for seasons to come, but whether he can reach superstardom may depend on his ability to develop a jump shot. Per NBA.com, Simmons has made just 10 shots all season outside the paint after hitting 30 as a rookie. To keep defenses honest and be a threat without the ball in his hands, Simmons must improve his volume and accuracy. -- Pelton

i

6. Luka Doncic
Dallas Mavericks
Guard/forward

Given his precocious performance and the relative value of big men and perimeter players, I think there's a strong case that only Giannis has a higher ceiling than Doncic, who needed less than half a season to erase any doubts that his European production would translate to the NBA.

At age 19 (he'll turn 20 Thursday), Doncic is one of just six rookies since the ABA-NBA merger with a usage rate of 29 percent or higher. Yet he has remained reasonably efficient thanks to high-volume 3-point shooting. As Doncic improves his physique and skills, All-Star production seems like a floor. -- Pelton

i

7. Donovan Mitchell
Utah Jazz
Guard

The Jazz might have gotten a glimpse of the future when Mitchell took over point guard duties after injuries to Ricky Rubio and Dante Exum.

From Jan. 9-18, Mitchell averaged 30 points and 5.7 assists per game, shot 51.2 percent from the field, including 40.5 percent from 3, and had a usage rate of 32.5. The Jazz also went 6-0 with Mitchell playing PG. -- Marks

i

8. Jayson Tatum
Boston Celtics
Forward

Expectations for Tatum probably got a bit too high after his strong rookie season and in particular during the Celtics' playoff run. He was 24th in ESPN's preseason NBArank, ahead of six players chosen 2019 All-Stars.

Although Tatum is scoring more in Year 2, his efficiency is down in a season that has been perceived as disappointing. Taking a step back, Tatum won't turn 21 until next week and is still the second option on one of the league's best teams. As he improves his shot selection and learns to manage high expectations, Tatum's future is bright. -- Pelton

i

9. De'Aaron Fox
Sacramento Kings
Guard

The fastest riser on the list, Fox didn't receive a single vote for last year's list in the midst of a rookie season that saw him rank outside the NBA's top 500 in ESPN's real plus-minus (RPM). Adding a consistent 3-point shot (he's making 37 percent from downtown after hitting just 30 percent as a rookie) has transformed Fox's game.

He's a leading contender for Most Improved Player and still just scratching the surface of his talent as he continues to master the pick-and-roll game in half-court offense. -- Pelton

i

10. Devin Booker
Phoenix Suns
Guard

It is déjà vu all over again for Booker. The Suns are headed to the lottery and Booker is on pace to average about 25 points per game. Sound familiar?

The lack of team success was evident when the All-Stars were selected this year. Of the players in the top 15 in PPG, Booker was the lone player not to be selected for a spot in Charlotte.

One concern is the impact that losing could have on Booker. The shooting guard ranks in the top 10 in technical fouls this season. -- Marks

i

11. Kristaps Porzingis
Dallas Mavericks
Center

Aside from seeing how he looks physically once he returns from his ACL injury, we now have to see how Porzingis adjusts to playing alongside another star, in Doncic. The two could be a much bigger, better-defending version of Steve Nash and Dirk Nowitzki in Dallas, a duo that has both the ability to run pick-and-rolls and pick-and-pops.

But with a table-setter of Doncic's caliber, Porzingis should now be willing to cut out the junk that was ruining his shot selection at times in New York. -- Herring

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
i

12. Pascal Siakam
Toronto Raptors
Forward

This future All-Star is now both good enough to help the Raptors try to retain free-agent-to-be Kawhi Leonard and a potential face of the franchise in case Leonard leaves for another team.

That didn't seem possible when Leonard was acquired from the Spurs. But seven months later, Toronto has a young power forward in Siakam who has gone from a rotation player averaging fewer than 20 MPG in his first two seasons combined to a core player logging 31.6 minutes. -- Marks

i

T-13. D'Angelo Russell
Brooklyn Nets
Guard

It took four years for Russell to make good on his potential as the No. 2 pick in 2015 by the Lakers, but improved 3-point shooting (2.8 makes per game on career-best 37 percent accuracy) and greater maturity translated into an All-Star selection.

Russell's defensive limitations put a cap on his long-term potential, which explains why he rates behind younger players who are currently less productive. He'll also have to prove his success is sustainable. Still, Russell's breakout came at the right time, as he'll be a coveted restricted free agent this summer. -- Pelton

i

T-13. Lauri Markkanen
Chicago Bulls
Forward/center

The Finnish 7-footer has been on the biggest tear of his career lately, averaging 26.5 points and 12.5 rebounds in February on 49 percent shooting overall and 38 percent from 3. He and Zach LaVine have played well off each other this season.

But it will be worth watching where the Bulls land in the draft lottery -- and who they get -- since Chicago already has a couple of young, talented scorers who thrive with the ball. -- Herring

i

15. Clint Capela
Houston Rockets
Center

If we were basing the rankings on present and future production compared to salary, Capela would be in the top 10. Signed to an $80 million contract in the offseason -- No. 19 among all centers -- Capela is a bargain.

The Boardroom
Executive produced by Kevin Durant, The Boardroom explores the most fascinating trends and innovative endeavors across the business of sports, featuring conversations with athletes, executives and business titans. Watch on ESPN+

He is perfect fit for the Rockets' offense because 54 percent of his production comes out of the pick-and-roll and cuts, according to Synergy. In fact, per NBA Advanced Stats, more than 99 percent of Capela's shot attempts have come from within nine feet of the rim.

If there is a concern, it would be in the dip in production on the defensive end. Capela has seen his defensive rebounding percentage drop from 30.8 to 26.7 and his defensive rating go from 103.8 last season to 110.1. -- Marks

i

16. Jaren Jackson Jr.
Memphis Grizzlies
Forward/center

Just as it looked like we were going to see Jackson get extended run as the man in the middle after the Marc Gasol trade, the rookie will be forced to sit out indefinitely with a deep thigh bruise.

He arguably has -- and often shows -- more defensive potential than any other player from this most recent draft. He can stay with ball handlers and more than holds his own at the rim. But he can score, too. And he'll be a legitimate problem for the league if he ends up being anywhere near a 40 percent shooter from deep. -- Herring

i

T-17. Jamal Murray
Denver Nuggets
Guard

Having recently celebrated his 22nd birthday, Murray is already the second-leading scorer for a Nuggets team contending for the top seed in the Western Conference. That thumbnail sketch overstates Murray's current value; he scores with below-average efficiency and benefits from Jokic handling much of Denver's playmaking.

Given the typical development curve for point guards, however, Murray will likely improve his shooting accuracy and give the Nuggets a star-caliber perimeter creator to complement Jokic. -- Pelton

i

T-17. Deandre Ayton
Phoenix Suns
Center

By the box score, Ayton's rookie season has been an amazing success. The No. 1 overall pick is averaging 16.4 points and 10.5 rebounds per game while shooting 59 percent. Per Basketball-Reference.com, Ayton's 20.9 player efficiency rating is ninth best on record for a 20-year-old player averaging at least 30 MPG.

In an era where efficient scoring and rebounding are easy to find at center, Ayton must expand his game to help the Suns win. He has made progress as a defender but the 112.1 defensive rating Phoenix allows with Ayton on the court (per NBA.com) would rank 29th in the league. -- Pelton

i

19. John Collins
Atlanta Hawks
Forward

On a roster that features six first-round picks, Collins is the lone Hawks representative on our list. He fits the mold of a prototypical small-ball center.

Collins is multidimensional based on his ability to stretch the floor (shooting 37 percent from 3, including 49 percent from the corner), rebound (ranking eighth with 3.6 offensive rebounds per game) and score down low (76 percent of his field goals made from five feet or less, per NBA.com).

Although he has played only 18 percent of his minutes at center this season, expect that to change in the future, especially with current starter Dewayne Dedmon set to be a free agent. -- Marks

i

20. Jusuf Nurkic
Portland Trail Blazers
Center

Five years into his NBA career, Nurkic cracks the 25-under-25 list on his last chance. After signing a four-year, $48 million contract in 2018, Nurkic is having his best statistical season on both ends of the court. He ranks No. 7 among centers in win shares (6.64), No. 6 in RPM (4.02) among centers and No. 6 in defensive RPM (3.62) among all players.

The question moving forward is if Nurkic can stretch his game outside the paint -- 82 percent of his field goal attempts this season have occurred within nine feet (per NBA.com). -- Marks

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
i

T-21. Marvin Bagley III
Sacramento Kings
Forward

Bagley represents an even more extreme version of the disconnect between box-score production (20 points and 10.4 rebounds per 36 minutes) and impact (he ranks 91st among power forwards in RPM) than Ayton. At best, Bagley's combination of size and athleticism looks unstoppable in the paint. At worst, he develops tunnel vision offensively and is often in the wrong place on D.

We've seen players overcome poor RPM early in their career to become valuable contributors, and Bagley can follow in their footsteps by improving his weaknesses while reinforcing the strengths that made him the No. 2 pick last June. -- Pelton

i

T-21. Caris LeVert
Brooklyn Nets
Guard

The Brooklyn swingman was fortunate to avoid what, at the time, looked like it would be a season-ending injury when he suffered a dislocated right foot. But in the time he missed, D'Angelo Russell became an All-Star, perhaps forcing LeVert to take at least a half-step back in the offense while he regains his bearings.

Nonetheless, the 6-foot-7 wing has shown the ability to potentially average 20-5-5 in extended minutes, all while playing above-average D. It just may take him time to shake off rust -- or an opportunity to showcase his ability without having to split the ballhandling responsibilities with such capable players in Russell and Spencer Dinwiddie. -- Herring

i

T-21. Kyle Kuzma
Los Angeles Lakers
Forward

We are giving Kuzma the benefit of the doubt based on his upside, and not what he has done for most of this season. If we are judging Kuzma solely on analytics and not the eye test, the forward would not be on this list. He ranks No. 36 among power forwards (behind Noah Vonleh and D.J. Wilson) in RPM (minus-0.12) and has seen his 3-point shooting take a dip this season (from 36.6 to 31.8 percent).

To be fair, some of this can be blamed on the revolving point guard situation in L.A., with Lonzo Ball and Rajon Rondo each missing time after injuries. The top seven lineups for the Lakers this season feature Ball alongside Kuzma. -- Marks

i

24. Lonzo Ball
Los Angeles Lakers
Guard

Nothing has reinforced Ball's value to the Lakers during his second season more than his month-plus absence due to a severe ankle sprain, during which L.A. has gone 4-9 despite LeBron James' return midway through that stretch.

Ball has struggled with confidence in his shot during Year 2, making just 42 percent of his free throws (though he has improved his accuracy on both 2-pointers and 3-pointers). Nonetheless, the value Ball brings as an unselfish playmaker and defender gives him the potential to develop into a key part of a contending team. -- Pelton

i

25. Jaylen Brown
Boston Celtics
Forward

Is this three-spot drop from last season's rankings due to Brown peaking prematurely during his sophomore season, the realization that he could be best suited coming off the bench or a lack of confidence based on an undefined role? The answer could be a combination of all three.

One thing to keep in mind is that Brown is still only 22 and one year removed from being labeled one of the NBA's elite young wings thanks to his size, strong frame, wingspan and ability to play downhill. -- Marks

The ballots

Individual rankings
Rank Herring Marks Pelton
No. 1 Giannis Antetokounmpo Giannis Antetokounmpo Giannis Antetokounmpo
No. 2 Joel Embiid Joel Embiid Luka Doncic
No. 3 Karl-Anthony Towns Nikola Jokic NIkola Jokic
No. 4 Ben Simmons Ben Simmons Joel Embiid
No. 5 NIkola Jokic Karl-Anthony Towns Karl-Anthony Towns
No. 6 Luka Doncic Donovan Mitchell Ben Simmons
No. 7 De'Aaron Fox Luka Doncic Donovan Mitchell
No. 8 Kristaps Porzingis Devin Booker Jayson Tatum
No. 9 Jayson Tatum Pascal Siakam D'Angelo Russell
No. 10 Pascal Siakam Jamal Murray De'Aaron Fox
No. 11 Devin Booker Clint Capela John Collins
No. 12 Jaren Jackson Jr. Jayson Tatum Kristaps Porzingis
No. 13 Lauri Markkanen De'Aaron Fox Devin Booker
No. 14 Donovan Mitchell Deandre Ayton Lauri Markkanen
No. 15 D'Angelo Russell Kristaps Porzingis Jaren Jackson Jr.
No. 16 Caris LeVert Kyle Kuzma Clint Capela
No. 17 Deandre Ayton Lauri Markkanen Pascal Siakam
No. 18 Marvin Bagley John Collins Lonzo Ball
No. 19 John Collins Jaylen Brown Jamal Murray
No. 20 Jusuf Nurkic D'Angelo Russell Gary Harris
No. 21 Clint Capela Jusuf Nurkic Aaron Gordon
No. 22 Zach LaVine Domantas Sabonis Trae Young
No. 23 Julius Randle Jaren Jackson Jr. Deandre Ayton
No. 24 Domantas Sabonis Trae Young Marvin Bagley
No. 25 Jamal Murray Monte Morris Marcus Smart

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Keith Law's top 30 2019 MLB draft prospects

It's just not a good draft class this year. It's not good up at the top and not in terms of depth, with a particular paucity of college pitchers and some modest strength in the middle infield in high schools and college. I do think the No. 1 pick today would be clear and that the college bats listed below will all settle into the top 20 or so as most teams gravitate toward the perceived safety of that group.

1. Adley Rutschman, C, Oregon State: Rutschman is the best player in the college crop and probably the best player in the draft class. He's also currently the best bet to be the first overall pick, with Baltimore on the clock.

2. Andrew Vaughn, 1B, California: Vaughn is the best pure hitter in the class. While his insane numbers last spring for the Golden Bears were boosted by weak pitching in the Pac-12, I don't hear any skepticism about his hit tool from scouts.

3. CJ Abrams, SS, Blessed Trinity HS, Roswell, Georgia: Abrams is a plus-plus runner with a smooth left-handed swing that should produce contact but probably no more than average power. He's a shortstop now but is more likely to end up at another position, possibly center field -- where his elite speed will fit.

4. Bobby Witt Jr., SS, Colleyville (Texas) Heritage HS: An athletic two-way player whose pro future is at shortstop, Witt comes into the spring as the top high school talent -- or at least the best-known one -- but will be dinged for his age, as he'll turn 19 a few weeks after the draft.

5. Josh Jung, 3B, Texas Tech: Jung mashed as a sophomore, hitting .392/.491/.639 with more walks than strikeouts while possessing a big swing yet good hand-eye coordination. He might start as a third baseman but probably moves to first.

6. Kameron Misner, OF, Missouri: Misner was off to a huge start last spring but injured his foot in mid-April and ended up with just 125 at-bats for the Tigers. When healthy, he's a plus runner with a very good swing that shows loft for power, and he could end up staying in center field in pro ball, which would make him a likely top-10 pick.

7. Bryson Stott, SS, UNLV: Stott is a potential long-term shortstop with a 60 arm. He's an average runner with an above-average present hit tool and more power to come.

8. Matthew Allan, RHP, Seminole HS, Sanford, Florida: The 6-foot-3 Florida commit has been 93-97 mph early this spring with a plus curveball and feel for a changeup.

9. Corbin Carroll, OF, Lakeside HS, Seattle: A very athletic, if undersized, prep outfielder from Seattle, Carroll also gets raves for his makeup and style of play, possessing top-15 potential depending on how scouts view his potential power.

10. Daniel Espino, RHP, Georgia Premier Academy, Statesboro, Georgia: Espino has been up to 99 mph with a hard curveball, and his arm action has improved to the point where you could at least discuss him as a long-term starter, although I'm sure there will be a lot of debate this spring about what his ultimate role is.

11. Jackson Rutledge, RHP, San Jacinto JC: The transfer from Arkansas has size, present velocity (up to 97 mph), a potentially plus slider and a high slot that gives him some extra deception.

12. JJ Bleday, OF, Vanderbilt: One of the best college bats in the class, he's coming off a strong summer on the Cape and a sophomore year in which he walked more than he struck out. Bleday has a good swing that should produce power, and he's athletic enough to add value in an outfield corner.

13. Alek Manoah, RHP, West Virginia: Listed at 6-foot-6, 260 pounds, Manoah looks big-league-ready and throws mid-90s, touching 98 with a power slider in his first outing of the year while punching out 13 in six innings against Kennesaw State. He pitches exclusively out of the stretch and has a below-average changeup.

14. JJ Goss, RHP, Cypress Ranch HS, Houston: Goss has been 90-94 mph already with some projection for more and shows a plus breaking ball with an aggressive approach, attacking hitters in the zone with both pitches.

15. Jimmy Lewis, RHP, Lake Travis HS, Austin, Texas: Lewis is a still-projectable right-hander who's 90-94 mph now with the makings of a plus breaking ball. He has an athletic, loose body that points to a lot of potential upside.

16. Shea Langeliers, C, Baylor: The "other" college catcher in the class also looks like a top-10 pick but will be out several weeks after breaking a hamate bone during the season's opening weekend. He's a premier defender but hit just .252/.351/.496 as a sophomore and won't get much of a chance to improve on that this spring.

17. Riley Greene, OF, Hagerty HS, Oviedo, Florida: Greene is considered one of the best pure high school hitters in the class, with some power to go with it, but below-average tools everywhere else probably limits him to left field. That profile hasn't gone well with recent high school hitters taken in the first round (Trent Grisham, Billy McKinney).

18. Brett Baty, 3B, Lake Travis HS, Austin, Texas: Baty projects to hit for average and power with a sweet left-handed swing and has unusual size for a high school kid, but he'll get crushed by analytical models because he'll be 19 years and six months old by draft day.

19. Quinn Priester, RHP, Cary-Grove HS, Cary, Illinois: A cold-weather kid who had a bit of a breakout at last summer's Under Armour Game, Priester has been up to 95 mph with a potential plus curveball, a very smooth delivery and some physical projection left.

20. Brennan Malone, RHP, IMG Academy, Bradenton, Florida: Malone has been up to 96-97 mph in short outings and looks like he'll fill out to hold mid-90s as a starter with a short curveball that can show above average and a delivery he can repeat, although he's still more a thrower/projection arm than a complete pitcher.

21. George Kirby, RHP, Elon: Kirby headlines the best Elon draft group in ages, as the Phoenix have three potential top-100 picks. Kirby has been up to 95 mph and pounding the strike zone through two starts after a dominant summer as a reliever on the Cape.

22. Braden Shewmake, 3B, Texas A&M: Shewmake is tall and wiry with a noisy approach and long swing that has actually produced great contact rates without much power.

23. Rece Hinds, 3B, IMG Academy, Bradenton, Florida: Hinds has huge raw power, which he has been showing off over the past few summers as an underclassman, but his other tools are all in question. His hit tool should be better tested now that he has moved to IMG Academy and will play at USA Baseball's NHSI event. Hinds is at third now, but his size and lack of speed might push him to first.

24. Zack Thompson, LHP, Kentucky: Thompson has come out strong with premium stuff again this year, hitting the mid-90s with an above-average slider, but concerns over his injury history -- he missed time last spring with a sore elbow and doesn't have a great delivery -- as well as his trouble working deep into games might keep him toward the back of the first round.

25. Will Wilson, SS, NC State: Wilson has hit for average and power for two years with the Wolfpack, although there's concern the power won't translate with wood bats. He's adequate at shortstop but lacks the quickness of most players at the position, and college "maybe" shortstops more often end up at second base.

26. Will Holland, SS, Auburn: Holland is a solid defender at short who came into power last year after failing to hit as a freshman at Auburn. He continued to produce at the plate all summer on the Cape and could end up among the top 20 picks as a safe selection based on track record and position.

27. Hunter Barco, LHP, Bolles School, Jacksonville, Florida: Barco was 90-95 mph this week with an improved slider and now a splitter. He has his arm slot higher after he finished last summer with a lower slot and reduced velocity, so he's back in the late-first-round discussion.

28. Logan Davidson, SS, Clemson: Davidson's reputation has outpaced his production, as he punched out 68 times last spring for Clemson and had a miserable summer on the Cape, hitting .194/.292/.266 while ranking among the league leaders in strikeouts. However, he's a shortstop with power and speed and has produced for two years for the Tigers despite the strikeouts.

29. Graeme Stinson, RHP, Duke: Stinson has been up to 97 mph regularly in his first two years at Duke with a power slider, but a tough arm action and command questions point to a more likely pro role in relief. He hasn't thrown nearly as well or as hard so far this spring.

30. Maurice Hampton, OF, Memphis (Tennessee) University HS: A very athletic outfielder who started to show progress as a ballplayer last summer, especially at the plate, Hampton is a plus-plus runner with very quick hands and is also a top football recruitwho's committed to play both sports at LSU.

I didn't rank Carter Stewart (RHP, East Florida State JC) because he has come out of the gate poorly this spring. The eighth pick in last year's draft, Stewart didn't sign with Atlanta after the team offered him a reduced bonus due to a perceived injury to his wrist. He was No. 2 on my draft board last year after sitting mid-90s for most of the spring with a wipeout curveball, but he has gotten thicker this year and seen his stuff go backward in his first two outings.

2019 MLB Draft: First-Round Order
1. Orioles (47-115)
2. Royals (58-104)
3. White Sox (62-100)
4. Marlins (63-98)
5. Tigers (64-98)
6. Padres (66-96)
7. Reds (67-95)
8. Rangers (67-95)
9. Braves (compensation for Carter Stewart) *
10. Giants (73-89)
11. Blue Jays (73-89)
12. Mets (77-85)
13. Twins (78-84)
14. Phillies (80-82)
15. Angels (80-82)
16. D-backs (82-80)
17. Nationals (82-80)
18. Pirates (82-79)
19. Cardinals (88-74)
20. Mariners (89-73)
21. Braves (90-72)
22. Rays (90-72)
23. Rockies (91-72)
24. Indians (91-71)
25. Dodgers (92-71)
26. D-backs (compensation for Matt McLain) *
27. Cubs (95-68)
28. Brewers (96-67)
29. Athletics (97-65)
30. Yankees (100-62)
31. Dodgers (compensation for J.T. Ginn) *
32. Astros (103-59)
33. Red Sox (108-54)
* For unsigned 2018 first-rounder

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
AFC EAST
i

Buffalo Bills

Sammy Watkins (2014 first-round pick), Robert Woods (2013 second-round pick), Marquise Goodwin (2013 third-round pick) and Kelvin Benjamin (2017 trade acquisition). The Bills are down to nearly bare bones at wide receiver, with the group headlined by 2017 second-round pick Zay Jones and 2018 undrafted free agent Robert Foster. Both players showed promise at points last season, but much more help -- especially at the top of the depth chart -- is needed for Josh Allen. More positions to watch: OL, RB, TE -- Mike Rodak

i

Miami Dolphins
Ryan Tannehill and has zero starting options currently on the roster. Dwayne Haskins and Kyler Murray appear to be the top two QBs in this draft class, and many mock drafts (including those of Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay) already have made the connection between Murray and Miami. If they like either of the two QBs, the Dolphins must be willing to trade up to get their guy. The Dolphins' journey to escape mediocrity won't be successful unless they find that franchise quarterback. More positions to watch: Edge rusher, OL, CB -- Cameron Wolfe

i

New England Patriots

Julian Edelman is the only receiver who was on the active roster for Super Bowl LIII and is under contract for 2019, so there are multiple spots to fill. One theme in scouting circles is to make sure you have your home area particularly well-covered, and that's why UMass' Andy Isabella is of particular interest. It isn't often UMass has a prospect who seems to be rising at this point in the pre-draft process, and Isabella is doing just that after showing well at the Senior Bowl. Whether he's a fit for the Patriots remains to be seen. More positions to watch: QB, TE -- Mike Reiss

i

New York Jets

Nick Bosa, Rashan Gary and Josh Allen (OLB), each of whom will be a consideration with the No. 3 overall pick. More positions to watch: OT, G, C, RB, WR -- Rich Cimini

AFC NORTH

i

Baltimore Ravens

Lamar Jackson, offensive coordinator Greg Roman placed offensive line at the top of the list. "We talk about Lamar a lot and his unique skill set and his talent, but we've got to have a strong, powerful offensive line," Roman said. "That's where it all starts -- domination up front and control up front." Baltimore needs to upgrade at left guard and center. But the Ravens haven't selected an interior offensive lineman in the first round since Ben Grubbs in 2007. More positions to watch: WR, OLB, RB -- Jamison Hensley

i

Cincinnati Bengals

Vontaze Burfict, Preston Brown and Nick Vigil, never played a game together in 2018 due to injuries and suspensions. It quickly became clear that the Bengals need to change the type of linebackers they acquire after being gashed by teams with quick-passing offenses. Instead of the bigger, run-stuffing types the team has long preferred, the Bengals need to look at speedier linebackers who can cover. More positions to watch: G, OT, TE -- Katherine Terrell

i

Cleveland Browns

Larry Ogunjobi but feel he can be even better with another strong presence inside. The other benefit of an improved tandem inside to provide up-the-middle pressure: It would free Myles Garrett and Emmanuel Ogbah on the outside and improve the overall pass rush. More positions to watch: WR, LB, CB -- Pat McManamon

i

Pittsburgh Steelers

Antonio Brown could prompt the Steelers to select a wide receiver in the first two rounds for the third straight year. The free-agent receiver class is considered weak, and the Steelers are among the league's best at scoring wideout talent through the draft, with JuJu Smith-Schuster the latest success story. Marquise Brown, Antonio's cousin, would be an intriguing vertical threat. More positions to watch: ILB, CB -- Jeremy Fowler

AFC SOUTH
i

Houston Texans

Deshaun Watson, who was sacked an NFL-leading 62 times. Houston has young options at both tackle spots and brought back Seantrel Henderson on a one-year deal. But with three picks in the first three rounds, it's expected that general manager Brian Gaine will be keeping a close eye on this year's group of OTs. More positions to watch: G, C, RB -- Sarah Barshop

i

Indianapolis Colts

Patrick Mahomes, Matt Ryan, Drew Brees, Philip Rivers, Derek Carr and Ben Roethlisberger next season. More positions to watch: WR, LB, DL -- Mike Wells

i

Jacksonville Jaguars

Nick Foles, but that's not guaranteed, so quarterback will be their priority. They pick seventh, so Dwayne Haskins and possibly Kyler Murray are in play -- especially if they move up to ensure they get their top choice (the Giants pick sixth and are expected to target a QB). If the Jaguars are content to wait until the second round to add a QB (or trade back late into the first round), Daniel Jones and Will Grier would be potential targets. If the Jaguars land Foles, QB probably is off the table in 2019, in which case they can go best available player at No. 7. More positions to watch: TE, OL, WR -- Mike DiRocco

i

Tennessee Titans

Jurrell Casey. Casey routinely makes plays in the backfield but will face double-teams, so it's essential to find another player who can collapse the pocket and get quick penetration against the run. Austin Johnson, a 2016 second-round pick, and veteran DaQuan Jones have not been factors so far. More positions to watch: OLB, Interior OL, WR, TE -- Turron Davenport

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
AFC WEST

i

Denver Broncos

Bradley Roby, Tramaine Brock and Jamar Taylor -- are unrestricted free agents, and none of the three is expected to draw much interest for a Denver return unless it is at the Broncos' price tag. That leaves Chris Harris Jr., who has an option bonus that is due before free agency opens, and a lot of question marks. Free agency may not offer much help at the position, and though Isaac Yiadom, a rookie last season, looks ready for more playing time, the Broncos probably are going to have to use some draft capital to get a rookie good enough to step in and play right away. More positions to watch: OL, WR, TE -- Jeff Legwold

i

Kansas City Chiefs

Eric Berry, who hasn't played in 31 of their past 34 games, counting the playoffs. They need to plan for life without him at a position where the Chiefs are thin, even if Berry plays a substantial portion of the 2019 season. The Chiefs suffered at safety last season as they attempted to get through with a collection of lower-paid journeymen and lower-round draft picks. It's past time for an upgrade. More positions to watch: CB, RB, TE, DL -- Adam Teicher

i

Los Angeles Chargers

Denzel Perryman, Jatavis Brown and Kyzir White. Of those three, Perryman will become an unrestricted free agent in March. The Chargers' lack of depth at linebacker is one of the reasons they used seven defensive backs and struggled to stop the New England Patriots' running game in the AFC playoffs. Combine prospects who make sense include LSU's Devin White, Michigan's Devin Bush and Alabama's Mack Wilson. More positions to watch: DT, OT, QB -- Eric D. Williams

i

Oakland Raiders

Khalil Mack, who was traded away in the midst of his contract holdout. Sure, Mack would have helped, but even if you add his 12.5 sacks to the Raiders' 13, Oakland still would have had the fewest sacks in the NFL. The likes of Nick Bosa and Josh Allen fit the bill, but they will potentially both be gone before the Raiders select at No. 4 overall. More positions to watch: S, WR, CB -- Paul Gutierrez

NFC EAST

i

Dallas Cowboys

Cole Beasley set to hit free agency and Allen Hurns' status up in the air because of a dislocated ankle suffered in the playoffs, the Cowboys have two receivers on the roster with more than 20 catches in 2018 in Amari Cooper and Michael Gallup. The Cowboys do not have a first-round pick because of the Cooper trade, but they could be in the market for a slot receiver if Beasley leaves -- or, if he stays, one who can play all across the formation. More positions to watch: TE, DT, OT, RB -- Todd Archer

i

New York Giants

Eli Manning is 38 and the Giants would be negligent if they didn't focus their attention on the top quarterbacks, beginning with Dwayne Haskins and Kyler Murray. They currently have the highest pick among QB-needy teams in this draft and not a ton of time to find Manning's successor. More positions to watch: OL, LB, S -- Jordan Raanan

i

Philadelphia Eagles

Jay Ajayi and Darren Sproles both set to become free agents, it's time to invest. They have a pair of second-round picks. This could be the first time they draft a back that high since taking LeSean McCoy in the second round in 2009. More positions to watch: DE, S, OL -- Tim McManus

i

Washington Redskins

Alex Smith is a long shot to return after suffering a season-ending compound fracture in his right leg. Washington must find another quarterback to pair with Colt McCoy, the only other QB on the roster. The Redskins don't feel they need to draft one in the first round -- and they will consider adding a veteran through free agency or a trade. But they must pay close attention to the quarterbacks to determine if any of them are worth selecting. They have other positions they must fill, but quarterback is the most important, so they must be certain. More positions to watch: OLB, WR, G -- John Keim

NFC NORTH

i

Chicago Bears

Adrian Amos is scheduled to hit the free-agent market, opening a spot opposite Pro Bowler Eddie Jackson. Amos produced two interceptions, 73 tackles and a sack in 2018. The problem for the Bears is, absent a trade, they don't have a pick until the third round. They traded this year's No. 1 in the Khalil Mack deal (well worth it) and the No. 2 to move up in last year's draft to select WR Anthony Miller, from whom more will be expected after offseason shoulder surgery. More positions to watch: CB, OL, RB -- ESPN

i

Detroit Lions

Ezekiel Ansah and Romeo Okwara -- might not return. Ansah is an unrestricted free agent; Okwara is a restricted free agent. With this being a strong draft for front-seven players, the Lions should be looking across all rounds to find edge-rush talent that would fit coach Matt Patricia's scheme. The first round will garner the most attention, though, and players such as Josh Allen and Clelin Ferrell will be players to look at in the No. 8 spot. More positions to watch: TE, CB, WR -- Michael Rothstein

i

Green Bay Packers

Clay Matthews is a free agent. Nick Perry could get cut. And who knows if Kyler Fackrell can come close to replicating his 10.5-sack season from 2018? Even if the Packers re-sign Matthews and/or keep Perry, they need a long-term player to rush the quarterback from the outside, and with two first-round picks (Nos. 12 and 30), there's a good chance GM Brian Gutekunst will take one early on. They probably would have liked to see Louisiana Tech's Jaylon Ferguson, who will be allowed to conduct limited interviews and get medical evaluation. He cannot take part in drills or testing because he was found guilty of simple battery during his freshman year after a fight. They'll take a long, hard look at the edge-rushing class in Indy. More positions to watch: S, G/T, WR, TE, ILB -- Rob Demovsky

i

Minnesota Vikings

Kirk Cousins. It also could use multiple high picks to build up the offensive line. Though this year's class of offensive linemen isn't as deep as the group from 2018, the Vikings should have a handful of intriguing prospects to consider at No. 18. More positions to watch: Edge rusher, DT, LB -- Courtney Cronin

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
NFC SOUTH

i

Atlanta Falcons

Grady Jarrett, a guy who can finish off plays after Jarrett gets penetration and a player with enough speed and physicality to win his one-on-one opportunities. Houston's Ed Oliver continues to be linked to the Falcons, and draft guru Mel Kiper Jr. had Oliver going to the Falcons with the 14th overall pick in his latest mock draft. More positions to watch: OL, DE, CB -- Vaughn McClure

i

Carolina Panthers

Mario Addison and project Efe Obada, the Panthers don't have another end on the roster, although Pro Bowl tackle Kawann Short has the flexibility to move inside and out. More positions to watch: C, LB -- David Newton

i

New Orleans Saints

Terron Armstead, center Max Unger and maybe left guard Andrus Peat (a free agent in 2020). The Saints have to think long-term with this year's draft class, because they don't have any picks in Rounds 1, 3 or 4. They'll have to use free agency to address their more immediate need for a pass-catcher at TE or WR. More positions to watch: DT, S -- Mike Triplett

i

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Gerald McCoy, given McCoy's $13 million salary-cap hit in 2019. With the fifth overall selection, the Bucs could really have their pick with player such as Alabama's Quinnen Williams and Houston's Ed Oliver if they stay put (GM Jason Licht has traded down two out of the past three years). More positions to watch: OT, ILB, DB -- Jenna Laine

NFC WEST

i

Arizona Cardinals

Larry Fitzgerald, who will be 36 when the season begins and will be playing in his 16th year, and second-year receiver Christian Kirk, the Cardinals don't have any other impact receivers on the roster. And they saw this past season how a lack of receivers can impact an offense. Arizona needs to add depth to its receiving corps but, more important, the Cards need at least one impact receiver and one big receiver to work the sidelines and corners of the end zone. More positions to watch: ILB, CB, TE -- Josh Weinfuss

i

Los Angeles Rams

Dante Fowler Jr. at the trade deadline. Fowler is now a pending unrestricted free agent, as is Matt Longacre, whom Fowler replaced. Opposite of Fowler was Samson Ebukam, a second-year pro and first-year starter, and after he produced three sacks in 18 starts, including the playoffs, it's uncertain whether he is a long-term solution. More positions to watch: CB, S, OL -- Lindsey Thiry

i

San Francisco 49ers

Seattle Seahawks[/paste:font]

Edge rusher. The Seahawks got a combined 23.5 sacks out of Frank Clark and Jarran Reed, but Reed is an interior player and Clark's long-term future with the team is uncertain. Plus, no other Seahawks defender had more than three sacks. They need an impact edge rusher to line up opposite Clark. This draft is considered to be deep at that position, so there's a good chance the Seahawks will be able to get one who's ready to contribute right away even though they're slated to pick at No. 21. They also could trade back to acquire more selections than the four they currently have. More positions to watch: OL, LB, WR -- Brady Henderson

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
i

1. Arizona Cardinals
Kyler Murray, QB, Oklahoma

We can't deny the rumblings here, and we know new coach Kliff Kingsbury recruited Murray in college. I'm not all-in on Arizona taking him just yet, though -- the Cards could be trying generate trade interest among the QB-needy teams. Still, the just-tall-enough Murray is a perfect fit to help Kingsbury transition the Air Raid offense to the NFL, and this pick makes sense from a scheme standpoint with all Murray's athleticism. Now, what could the Cardinals get for Josh Rosen?

i

2. San Francisco 49ers
Nick Bosa, DE, Ohio State

The Niners will be hunting for pass-rushers this offseason, and getting the best overall player in the class at No. 2 would be a fantastic start. Bosa has length, speed and power from the edge, and it's fathomable that the Buckeye paces San Francisco's defensive line in sacks as a rookie. He's that good.

i

3. New York Jets

Quinnen Williams, DT, Alabama

The Jets need defensive linemen for new coordinator Gregg Williams, and the Alabama tackle fits perfectly as an interior pass-rusher who also can stop the run. Williams was incredible at the combine, and his quick first step would be a force on the inside for Gang Green.

i

4. Oakland Raiders
Josh Allen, OLB, Kentucky

When you manage just 13 sacks -- a league low, and 17 fewer than the next-worst team -- you'd best be looking for pass-rushers. Allen himself out-sacked the Raiders in 2018, recording 17 coming off the edge for Kentucky. If the Jets don't take him at No. 3, he fits a big need here.

i

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Montez Sweat, DE, Mississippi State

If you set a combine record for the fastest 40-yard dash for a defensive lineman (4.41 seconds at 260 pounds), you're going to make some money. Sweat has a ton of upside, and Tampa Bay badly needs difference-makers on defense. But there's also a very real possibility that the Bucs trade back with a team looking for a quarterback, and taking the best available offensive lineman -- perhaps Jawaan Taylor -- makes sense in that scenario.

i

6. New York Giants
Dwayne Haskins, QB, Ohio State

Another mock, another Haskins-to-the-Giants projection. It just makes sense. New York needs to secure its future at the position while it has this high pick, and Haskins has some great anticipation and feel in the pocket. Give him a year of learning from Eli Manning, not unlike what Kansas City did with Patrick Mahomes and Alex Smith, and then let him start unleashing deep balls to Odell Beckham Jr.

i

7. Jacksonville Jaguars
Jawaan Taylor, OT, Florida
With Nick Foles expected to come to Florida, the Jags need to beef up the offensive line to protect their new quarterback and create some holes for Leonard Fournette. Taylor's mobility, power and quickness would be welcomed in the trenches. He is a starting right tackle on Day 1.

i

8. Detroit Lions
Rashan Gary, DE, Michigan
The Lions need edge rushers with Ezekiel Ansah entering free agency. Gary had a good week at the combine, showing his athleticism and explosiveness. A lack of production in college might cause him to fall out of the top five, but if he is coached properly, the talent and skill set are there to be a stellar disruptor.

i

9. Buffalo Bills
D.K. Metcalf, WR, Ole Miss
He's an absolute monster at 6-foot-3 with ridiculous strength and 4.33 40 speed. Metcalf specializes in running the 9 route, and Josh Allen has the big arm to get him the ball. It has been a while since Buffalo had a real receiving talent like Metcalf, but don't sleep on the offensive line here, either. A good chunk of that unit will enter free agency.

i

10. Denver Broncos
Jonah Williams, OT, Alabama

Denver has to upgrade the offensive line, and Williams is an experienced starter who would immediately provide an improvement at right tackle. New starting QB Joe Flacco is going to need protection, and Williams can handle speed off the edge with his quick feet.

i

11. Cincinnati Bengals
Devin White, ILB, LSU

There are a lot of needs here, but White is a three-down 'backer who can play sideline to sideline. He's one of my top prospects in the class and really impressed at the combine. The Bengals need a quarterback of the defense, and the value for White is tremendous outside of the top 10.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
i

12. Green Bay Packers
T.J. Hockenson, TE, Iowa

Yes, the Packers re-signed Jimmy Graham, but he is 32 years old and his production has declined. Hockenson combines size, speed and strength at the position, and he would give Aaron Rodgers a real weapon in the passing game.

i

13. Miami Dolphins
Drew Lock, QB, Missouri

If the Ryan Tannehill era is indeed coming to a close, Lock would give new offensive coordinator Chad O'Shea a quarterback to develop. Lock has great mobility and arm strength, even though he needs some work with mechanics and ball placement.

i

14. Atlanta Falcons
Christian Wilkins, DT, Clemson
Putting Wilkins right next to Grady Jarrett, who was franchise-tagged by the Falcons, would help fix a run defense that allowed nearly 5 yards per carry last season. Wilkins is an explosive interior player who was a four-year starter for the defending national champs.

i

15. Washington Redskins
Marquise Brown, WR, Oklahoma
No change from my previous mock, as the speedy Brown heads to the nation's capital. Washington will be looking for improvements in multiple areas, but adding a burner would open up this offense. Brown has good hands and can outrun just about anyone.

i

16. Carolina Panthers
Clelin Ferrell, DE, Clemson

Carolina dropped opposing quarterbacks for a sack only 35 times in 2018. Free agency is one way to handle that, but Ferrell has very good physicality and quick hands at the point of contact. He'd be a presence on the edge for the Panthers after running up 11.5 sacks with Clemson last season.

i

17. Cleveland Browns
Andre Dillard, OT, Washington State
Dillard showed off elite athleticism for the position at the combine. He is a superb pass-protector who also has the range to cut off linebackers at the second level. And the Browns will be looking for a young left tackle to help protect Baker Mayfield's blind side for years to come.

i

18. Minnesota Vikings
Ed Oliver, DT, Houston

Value, value, value. Oliver is one of the top 10 players in the class. So although offensive line is a more glaring immediate need here, the Vikings could plug Oliver into the middle of that defensive line between Everson Griffen and Danielle Hunter and create headaches for offensive coordinators. He's a perfect replacement for free agent Sheldon Richardson.

i

19. Tennessee Titans
Garrett Bradbury, C, NC State
I think Bradbury is the best, most NFL-ready interior offensive lineman in the class. Ben Jones has played guard before, so the Titans could move him over and slide Bradbury in at center to drastically improve this unit. He has some athleticism and power in the middle.

i

20. Pittsburgh Steelers
Devin Bush, ILB, Michigan

Pittsburgh hasn't been able to replace Ryan Shazier in the middle of that linebacker group. We've seen Bush go sideline to sideline with Michigan, but his 4.43 40 time at the combine really drove home just how fast this kid is. He's an every-down talent and would fit in nicely with an already strong defense.

i

21. Seattle Seahawks
Jeffery Simmons, DT, Mississippi State

Frank Clark is coming back to Seattle on the franchise tag, but the Seahawks still need a tackle in the middle next to Jarran Reed. On talent alone, Simmons competes with the best of the class. But there are some off-the-field concerns, and now the necessary recovery from a recent torn ACL.

i

22. Baltimore Ravens
Josh Jacobs, RB, Alabama

How do you make a dual-threat quarterback like Lamar Jackson even scarier? Put an explosive three-down running back like Jacobs next to him in the shotgun. Jacobs was never a full-time starter at Alabama, so he has a lot of tread left on the tires -- and a whole lot of pop out of the backfield.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
i

23. Houston Texans
Cody Ford, OT, Oklahoma

The secondary is going to have some holes, and I do like the idea of Dexter Lawrence plugging the middle of Romeo Crennel's 3-4 defense. But the Texans allowed 62 sacks last season, the league high by six. Full stop. Ford is a big mauler who would help keep franchise QB Deshaun Watson off his back, and he could play tackle or guard.

i

24. Oakland Raiders (from Chicago Bears)
Byron Murphy, CB, Washington

After addressing the pass rush with Allen at No. 4, the Raiders could look for a ball hawk in the secondary here. Murphy's football intelligence and fast eyes would make him a good fit in Paul Guenther's defensive scheme.

i

25. Philadelphia Eagles
Rock Ya-Sin, CB, Temple

We all know the Eagles want to fix the secondary, and while the Philly faithful might be clamoring for Greedy Williams here, I like Ya-Sin's full skill toolbox. He impressed me at the combine and deserves first-round consideration.

i

26. Indianapolis Colts
Taylor Rapp, S, Washington

With a pretty good group of safeties out there on the free-agent market, the Colts could opt to address it there. But with Matt Eberflus' 4-3 featuring under Cover 2 and Tampa 2 components, Indy will be looking for speed and versatility. Rapp checks those boxes.

i

27. Oakland Raiders (from Dallas Cowboys)
Parris Campbell, WR, Ohio State

It'd be poetic for the Raiders to use the exact pick they got for Amari Cooper to add a game-changing wide receiver. Campbell displayed 4.31 speed in Indianapolis and hauled in 90 balls for 12 touchdowns and more than 1,000 yards last season. He'd be an explosive receiver for Derek Carr (or whoever is playing QB for the Raiders) and has the ability to develop a really polished route tree.

i

28. Los Angeles Chargers
Dexter Lawrence, DT, Clemson

L.A. already has Joey Bosa and Melvin Ingram on this defensive line. Now drop in a 342-pound run-stopper with 5.05 speed and high-end athleticism. With multiple members of this unit heading toward free agency, Lawrence would be a great get.

i

29. Kansas City Chiefs
Deandre Baker, CB, Georgia
Andy Reid has to find a way to improve the secondary, and Baker does a nice job reading routes with terrific instincts in coverage. Only the Bengals allowed more passing yards last season, and Steven Nelson will be a free agent. Once Kansas City gets a corner, it will likely consider a running back in the second or third round.

i

30. Green Bay Packers (from New Orleans Saints)
Brian Burns, DE, Florida State

With Clay Matthews and Muhammad Wilkerson looking at free agency, the Pack will want to add a pass-rusher off the edge. Burns dropped the opposition for 10 sacks and 15.5 tackles for loss at Florida State last season.

i

31. Los Angeles Rams
Noah Fant, TE, Iowa

The Rams scored 32.9 points per game in 2018, second to only the Chiefs. And adding a tight end with 4.51 speed could help keep the offense at that pace. Fant is essentially a big slot receiver, which would create exploitable matchups for Jared Goff and coach Sean McVay on offense. Getting the second Iowa tight end here would be a steal.

i

32. New England Patriots
Irv Smith Jr., TE, Alabama

I really wanted to go defensive line here with Trey Flowers, Malcom Brown and Danny Shelton all entering free agency, but there was just no value. Instead, the Alabama tight end would give the Pats an alternative to an aging Rob Gronkowski. But I'd bet that Bill Belichick trades out of the spot to stockpile extra picks.