Essential The Official ESPN Insider Thread (ESPN+)

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
i

13. Miami Dolphins
Kyler Murray, QB, Oklahoma

We know Murray is now focused on football. What happens next? He's going to be the most-talked-about prospect at the combine, and all eyes will be on his official measurements. It's not so much his height, either. Whether he's 5-10 or 5-9½ isn't a big deal at this point. Will Murray weigh under 200 pounds, though? That would be unprecedented for a first-round quarterback. His agent said recently that he weighs 205, which would be a good sign. As for Miami, as I wrote in my first Mock Draft when I pegged Murray here, the Dolphins need to rebuild, and adding the Heisman Trophy winner is a perfect way to start it.

i

14. Atlanta Falcons
Ed Oliver, DT, Houston
Oliver's first step off the ball is one of the fastest I've seen from a defensive tackle. And yes, his play was picked apart throughout the 2018 season, but he's a fantastic prospect who has a ways to go to reach his ceiling. He could do that in the right situation in the NFL. As I mentioned in my first Mock Draft, he could be a Day 1 replacement if Atlanta doesn't bring back free agent Grady Jarrett.

i

15. Washington Redskins
Drew Lock, QB, Missouri
Welcome to the first round, Drew Lock. He was the best quarterback at the Senior Bowl, and he might have the most arm talent of any passer in this class. Now, he's inconsistent. He misses throws and needs a lot of work on his footwork. He put some bad performances on tape in 2018, though he finished the season strongly. You can see on that tape, though, why a team could fall in love and take the 6-4, 228-pound Lock early. That could be Jay Gruden's team, which might not have Alex Smith this season.

i

16. Carolina Panthers
Clelin Ferrell, DE, Clemson

This is all about filling a need, as Julius Peppers retired and there's no surefire replacement on the roster. Ferrell (6-5, 265) is a classic 4-3 defensive end who can get after quarterbacks -- he had 21 sacks over the past two seasons -- and hold his own in the run game. The Carolina defense collapsed last season, and it could also look at safety (Mike Adams turns 38 this offseason) and linebacker (Thomas Davis is moving on) here.

i

17. Cleveland Browns
Dexter Lawrence, DT, Clemson

I had Mississippi State's Jeffery Simmons here in my first Mock Draft, but he tore his ACL and could drop to Day 2. The massive 6-foot-5, 340-pound Lawrence is a different kind of player -- he's not as good of a pass-rusher as Simmons -- but he'd fit next to Larry Ogunjobi, who has come into his own. I've been told to expect Lawrence to work out well at the combine, too. GM John Dorsey could also try to get a weapon for Baker Mayfield here.

i

18. Minnesota Vikings
Jonah Williams, OL, Alabama

Minnesota continues to be linked with offensive linemen in this draft, as free-agent signing Kirk Cousins was under heavy pressure in 2018 behind a makeshift line. The team could address the position in free agency and still have a need. Williams, who made 43 straight starts at tackle for the Crimson Tide, could move inside to guard. At 6-foot-5, 301 pounds, he doesn't have the long arms that NFL teams like for their left tackles, but he could be an elite guard.

i

19. Tennessee Titans
Christian Wilkins, DT, Clemson

Tennessee got very little last season from free-agent addition Bennie Logan, and the defense could upgrade on either side of elite nose tackle Jurrell Casey in its 3-4. Wilkins (6-4, 312) could play tackle in a 4-3 or end in a 3-4. The Titans will likely keep a close eye on edge-rushing outside linebackers here, but the value with Wilkins on my board is too good to pass up.

i

20. Pittsburgh Steelers
Deandre Baker, CB, Georgia

Artie Burns, a first-round pick in 2016, had a poor 2018 season, and corner is a clear need in Pittsburgh this offseason. I suspect the Steelers would love to get their hands on the 5-foot-11, 185-pound Baker, my second-ranked corner. Inside linebacker is another position to watch, as the team hasn't been able to adequately replace Ryan Shazier. Could a sneaky need be wide receiver if the Steelers trade Antonio Brown?

i

21. Seattle Seahawks
Jachai Polite, OLB, Florida

Even if the Seahawks re-sign (or franchise tag) free-agent defensive end Frank Clark, we know Pete Carroll & Co. are always looking for edge rushers. That's Polite, who had 11 sacks last season. At 6-foot-2, 242 pounds, Polite will have to put on some weight to play end in a 4-3 defense, but that shouldn't an issue. In fact, the comp I've made for him is a guy drafted by Carroll and GM John Schneider: former West Virginia pass-rusher Bruce Irvin, who came in at 6-3, 245 pounds at the combine in 2012.

i

22. Baltimore Ravens
Josh Jacobs, RB, Alabama
Finally, a running back off the board. And new GM Eric DeCosta could go right back to Alabama, from where former GM Ozzie Newsome loved to mine prospects. Jacobs is a complete player and the most explosive back in this draft. He didn't get a ton of touches in a talented Crimson Tide rotation, which means he has little tread on his tires. How's this for a stat: Jacobs had 300 touches over three college seasons. Derrick Henry, who won the Heisman Trophy at Bama, had 406 touches in the 2015 season. There's a lot to like about Jacobs, who has also shown nice hands in the passing game. Check out this catch and run.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
i

23. Houston Texans
Andre Dillard, OT, Washington State

Houston gave up a league-high 62 sacks last season, so the position is a clear priority this offseason. And Dillard, a three-year starter at Washington State, is one of the best pass protectors in this class. He could slot in at left or right tackle for Houston, and Deshaun Watson would be thrilled. Dillard (6-5, 305) was one of the stars of the Senior Bowl. I wouldn't be surprised if Houston took multiple linemen early in this draft, and it has two second-round picks to try to improve.

i

24. Oakland Raiders (from CHI)
Byron Murphy, CB, Washington

We know that Jon Gruden loves playmakers -- I heard him talk about them for years. And Murphy is one of the best defensive playmakers in this class, a ball hawk who had seven interceptions over two seasons at Washington. There's a gaping hole at corner across from 2017 first-rounder Gareon Conley, too. This could be a first round full of defensive additions for the Raiders, who have picks at 4, 24 and 27.

i

25. Philadelphia Eagles
Trayvon Mullen, CB, Clemson

Injuries in the secondary really hurt the Eagles in 2018, as the defense couldn't match the play that led them to a Super Bowl LII victory. And with Ronald Darby possibly leaving in free agency, cornerback is a spot to target here or with one of their two second-round picks. Mullen had an inconsistent 2018 season, but he has some excellent 2017 tape. And at 6-foot-2, 186 pounds, he's a big corner. He should test well in Indianapolis.

i

26. Indianapolis Colts
A.J. Brown, WR, Ole Miss

GM Chris Ballard had one of the league's best draft classes in 2018, and the Colts made a surprising run to the playoffs. They'll have this pick and the No. 34 overall pick from the Jets to continue to upgrade. Brown (6-1, 225) could be an effective No. 2 receiver next to T.Y. Hilton as Indianapolis tries to get better weapons around Andrew Luck. Brown had 2,572 receiving yards and 17 touchdowns over the past two seasons, and he's the second Ole Miss wideout off the board in my projection, after D.K. Metcalf to Buffalo at No. 9.

i

27. Oakland Raiders (from DAL)
Brian Burns, OLB, Florida State

This match is all about helping the Raiders improve their pass rush, as the 6-5, 235-pound Burns is a pure speed edge rusher. He needs to get a little bigger, but time in an NFL strength and conditioning program should help. If you're keeping track here, this means I have Oakland getting two edge rushers and a cornerback with its first-round picks. That's a strong haul.

i

28. Los Angeles Chargers
Jerry Tillery, DT, Notre Dame

Corey Liuget, Brandon Mebane, Darius Philon and Damion Square are all free agents, which means the Chargers have to address defensive tackle in free agency or in the draft. I thought they could have taken a DT in Round 1 last year. As I noted in my first Mock Draft, L.A. was pushed around in its playoff loss to the Patriots. Tillery is a good interior pass-rusher with tremendous size (6-6, 304) and athletic traits. He has some versatility, too.

i

29. Kansas City Chiefs
Johnathan Abram, S, Mississippi State
I'm sticking with a safety for Kansas City, because it was a clear weakness in 2018. Will we ever see Eric Berry return to his level of play from 2013 to '16? Abram is my new No. 1-ranked safety, a tone-setter who is physical in the run game and can flip his hips and run in pass coverage. It's worth noting the Chiefs have an extra second-round pick -- thanks to the Marcus Peters trade -- to help fix their defense, which means they could wait to get a safety until Day 2.

i

30. Green Bay Packers (from NO)
Devin Bush, ILB, Michigan
This is another match for need -- starter Jake Ryan missed all of 2018 with a torn ACL and is now a free agent, which means there's a void in the middle of the Green Bay defense. Bush is a bit undersized (5-11, 235), but he's a terrific sideline-to-sideline linebacker. I gave the Packers a receiver with their first pick, but they could also be in the market for an outside linebacker, especially with Clay Matthews a free agent.

i

31. Los Angeles Rams
Jaylon Ferguson, DE, Louisiana Tech

Ferguson was in the news last week after his combine invite was rescinded when it was revealed he was convicted of simple battery his freshman year. That shouldn't hurt his draft stock, and he's expected to be able to undergo medical evaluations for teams. Ferguson (6-5, 260) had 45 sacks in his four-year career -- including 17.5 last season -- and set the FBS record for sacks. He could add some weight and play end in Wade Phillips' 3-4 defense.

i

32. New England Patriots
Daniel Jones, QB, Duke

I continue to believe Bill Belichick and the Patriots will use some of their draft capital on a quarterback. It could be here, or it could be with one of their two second-round picks. There could be several QBs going in the first three rounds. Jones is an athletic 6-4 signal-caller who can be an erratic thrower at times but is already advanced in his footwork. He'd benefit from sitting and learning behind Tom Brady. The Super Bowl champs have several prominent free agents who could leave, so we'll know much more in a month about which positions they could target.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
i

1. Nick Bosa, DE, Ohio State*
Height: 6-foot-4 | Weight: 263 pounds | Previously: 1
There's no change at the top, as I've had Bosa to the Cardinals with the No. 1 pick in both of my mock drafts. He's expected to work out at the combine, and teams want to see that he has made a full recovery from the core muscle injury that ended his Ohio State career early. Bosa is an elite pass-rusher who is advanced for his age in his technique; you can probably thank his brother, Joey Bosa, and dad, John, both former first-round picks. He finished his college career with 17.5 sacks in two-plus seasons, most of which were in a loaded line rotation.

i

2. Quinnen Williams, DT, Alabama**
Height: 6-4 | Weight: 289 | Previously: 2
Williams was one of college football's best players -- not just defenders -- last season. And it showed, as he finished eighth in the Heisman Trophy voting. He dominated LSU with 2.5 sacks and 10 total tackles, and he finished the season with 8.0 sacks and 19.5 total tackles for loss. When I wrote about Williams after the LSU game, I mentioned his ability to use his hands to disengage from blockers. He is so good at destroying double-teams. Williams played only one full season for the Tide, but he was tremendous. He's the best 3-technique penetrator in this draft.

i

3. Josh Allen, OLB, Kentucky
Height: 6-5 | Weight: 230 | Previously: 3
I pegged Allen before the season as a potential Day 2 pick after he broke out in 2017 with seven sacks, 66 tackles and one interception. But then he went and had 17 sacks -- with five forced fumbles -- and was dominant last season. I had him all the way up to No. 2 to the 49ers in my first and second mock drafts. Allen is disruptive, and he has the length that NFL teams love in a 3-4 outside linebacker.

i

4. Devin White, LB, LSU*
Height: 6-1 | Weight: 240 | Previously: 4
White is one of my favorite prospects in this class, and I noted in our draft primer that he's a perfect fit for today's NFL. During a spectacular breakout 2017 season, he had 133 tackles, 14 tackles for loss, 4.5 sacks and an interception. White dominated last season, too, with 123 tackles, including 12 for loss. I love his read-and-react ability. He is not a true pass-rusher, but he could play outside or inside linebacker at the next level. He has some versatility and is extremely athletic.

i

5. Rashan Gary, DT, Michigan*
Height: 6-6 | Weight: 283 | Previously: 7
Gary needs to have a strong combine and interview circuit. He dominates when he's at his best; he just manhandles offensive linemen. The problem? Consistency. A defender this big and this talented should create more pressure and disruption. The former No. 1 overall recruit disappears too often for my liking. Gary could play end in a 3-4 defense or 3-technique in a 4-3. He has a high ceiling, and he should light up the combine.

i

6. T.J. Hockenson, TE, Iowa**
Height: 6-5 | Weight: 250 | Previously: 17
I love this kid. Hockenson is a complete tight end. As I wrote in my Mock Draft 2.0, he can run routes out of the slot on one play, then line up next to a tackle and blow up an edge defender in the running game on the next. I had him No. 8 to the Lions. His teammate Noah Fant got all the pub before the season, but Hockenson put up better numbers, and he's a better blocker. This tight end class is really good from top to bottom.

i

7. Dwayne Haskins, QB, Ohio State**
Height: 6-3 | Weight: 220 | Previously: 5
Haskins started only 14 college games for the Buckeyes, but there's a lot to like about him. He has a big arm, shows great anticipation on his throws, takes care of the ball and has solid athleticism (though he isn't a great runner). Haskins never gets rattled, and he excels in big moments. He's far from a finished product, but the high ceiling flashes on tape. I want to see how he tests athletically at the combine, but more importantly, I want to see how he interacts with the other quarterbacks and whether he takes charge. His actions will be closely watched.

i

8. Kyler Murray, QB, Oklahoma*
Height: 5-10 | Weight: 195 | Previously: 8
Murray will be the most watched man in Indianapolis. And it starts Thursday, when teams will finally get a measurement on him. The weight matters just as much as his height. His agent said recently that he weighs 205, but he's listed 10 pounds lighter. Will he work out, or will he save it for his pro day on March 13? Either way, I'm excited to see him in person. You can't deny Murray's athletic ability, and he has an underrated arm. He can make every throw. I've said several times that he's one of the most dynamic dual-threat quarterbacks I've ever seen. Murray won't be for every team and every system, but if he lands in the right spot, he could be a star.

i

9. Montez Sweat, DE, Mississippi State
Height: 6-6 | Weight: 245 | Previously: 14
Sweat was the top prospect at the Senior Bowl. I even had him in the top five of my second mock draft. It's simply because he's a devastating pass-rusher. After putting up 10.5 sacks in 2017, he had 11.5 last season, proving to be one of college football's best edge rushers. His frame has room for more weight, so he could play outside linebacker in a 3-4 or defensive end in a 4-3. He has an outstanding takeoff at the snap and has room to grow in his technique.

i

10. Andraez "Greedy" Williams, CB, LSU**
Height: 6-3 | Weight: 184 | Previously: 9
Williams burst onto the scene in 2017, picking off six passes as a redshirt freshman and emerging as one of the best defensive backs in college football. He had two more picks last season. Williams has great ball skills and a long, lean frame, and he sticks to wide receivers. The third-year sophomore is the best lockdown corner in this class.

i

11. Deandre Baker, CB, Georgia
Height: 5-11 | Weight: 185 | Previously: 10
Quarterbacks who go after Baker don't have much luck. He broke up nine passes and had two interceptions last season, and he had nine pass breakups and three picks in 2017. Baker isn't far behind Williams as the top corner in this class. I want to see how he tests athletically in Indy.

i

12. Ed Oliver, DT, Houston*
Height: 6-3 | Weight: 292 | Previously: 13
Oliver didn't develop consistent pass-rush moves in his three years at Houston, and that's why I have always said the comparison to Aaron Donald is unfair. But he is a really good player and a game-wrecker -- just play the East Carolina tape, in which he had five tackles for loss. His first step is one of the fastest I've seen from a defensive tackle. Could he play end in a 3-4 defense?

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
i

13. Marquise Brown, WR, Oklahoma*
Height: 5-9 | Weight: 168 | Previously: NR
I wrote last September about why I like Brown so much: He's a big-play threat on every route. He has game-changing speed and is dynamic after the catch. He can play in the slot or outside, creating easy separation with that speed. And he isn't one-dimensional; he runs every route that NFL teams want to see. The question is size -- at 5-foot-9, he doesn't look like a No. 1 wide receiver. But the NFL is changing: Speed is everything. Brown won't be working out for teams before the draft because he underwent surgery for a Lisfranc injury last month. I trust the tape. He should be ready for training camp.

i

14. D.K. Metcalf, WR, Ole Miss**
Height: 6-4 | Weight: 230 | Previously: NR
Metcalf is a freaky athlete with a huge frame -- just look at this viral photo. On tape, he shows elite traits: speed to beat cornerbacks one-on-one, the physicality to go over the middle and the athleticism to outjump any defender. The problem? Health. He had a scary neck injury that ended his 2018 season early, though he is going to work out at the combine. He also broke his foot in 2016. This ranking is about projection because he could be a scary-good No. 1 receiver. He's going to test well at the combine, but the medical check is more important.

i

15. Byron Murphy, CB, Washington**
Height: 5-11 | Weight: 182 | Previously: 25
After redshirting in 2016, Murphy snagged two picks in his first college game last season. He's a natural playmaker with easy speed. Murphy missed seven games in 2017 because of a broken foot, but he has played well since. He had four interceptions, 13 pass breakups and four tackles for loss. The third-year sophomore isn't as big as former Huskies corner Marcus Peters, but he makes that kind of impact. He could also play some in the slot in the NFL, which is a valuable skill.

i

16. Jonah Williams, OT, Alabama*
Height: 6-5 | Weight: 301 | Previously: 6
It's not easy to start for Nick Saban as a freshman, but that's exactly what Williams did when he lined up as the right tackle in Week 1 in 2016. Now he has started 43 games the past three seasons, playing on the left side in 2017 and 2018. Williams could move inside to guard at the next level, and I compared him to Washington's Brandon Scherff in our preview of the class. It's all about arm length here when he gets measured in Indy.

i

17. Jachai Polite, OLB, Florida*
Height: 6-2 | Weight: 242 | Previously: 16
Polite is an edge rusher who keeps rising, like Kentucky's Josh Allen, and he was the Gators' best player in 2018. He had 11 sacks and 17.5 total tackles for loss. Polite plays with a ton of energy. He's aggressive. It was his first season as a full-time starter because he hurt his shoulder in the middle of the 2017 season. He plays with his hand in the dirt as a defensive end, but I think he's probably a 3-4 outside linebacker in the NFL.

i

18. Dexter Lawrence, DT, Clemson
Height: 6-5 | Weight: 340 | Previously: NR
As I wrote in my way-too-early Big Board, big-bodied guys who move like Lawrence and can eat gaps don't last long in the draft. And Lawrence has shown that he is more than a plugger -- he had nine sacks in his first two seasons. Turn on the tape, and you'll see Lawrence take on blockers and throw them aside. He's also 1-for-1 on turning carries into touchdowns. I expect Lawrence to work out well for his size, but he needs to show that he is explosive and has some pass-rushing upside.

i

19. Jawaan Taylor, OT, Florida*
Height: 6-5 | Weight: 328 | Previously: 22
Taylor is a mauler on the edge. He will likely play right tackle at the next level; he made 33 starts there in college. His technique is still raw, but he has the potential to be the first offensive lineman off the board. Some teams might like him at guard, too, and the versatility is a plus.

i

20. Devin Bush, LB, Michigan*
Height: 5-11 | Weight: 233 | Previously: 11
Bush is a playmaker. He lines up all over the field and is always around the ball. He caught my eye early last season as a sophomore when he had 102 tackles, including 9.5 for loss, and an interception. He had 79 tackles and five sacks in 2018. I scouted his dad, Devin Bush Sr., a first-round pick out of Florida State in 1995 who had a 41-inch vertical.

i

21. Josh Jacobs, RB, Alabama*
Height: 5-10 | Weight: 216 | Previously: 18
Jacobs has been getting a lot of buzz from people in the league as an all-purpose back who is extremely explosive. His overall numbers didn't pop as he split time in the Crimson Tide backfield, but he showed his potential in the College Football Playoff win over Oklahoma, with 158 yards from scrimmage and a touchdown. He has some receiving ability and could develop into a complete back. Jacobs is a tough, physical runner who is hard to bring down. Plus, he has limited tread on his tires, with just 300 touches over three college seasons.

i

22. Christian Wilkins, DT, Clemson
Height: 6-4 | Weight: 310 | Previously: 20
I have compared Wilkins to former Alabama defensive lineman Jonathan Allen because he's scheme-versatile and could play end or tackle in the NFL. Wilkins had 15 tackles for loss last season, and he was one of the locker room leaders for the national champions. Wilkins has been underrated playing on an extremely talented Tigers defensive line, but he could be the first Clemson prospect off the board.

i

23. Clelin Ferrell, DE, Clemson*
Height: 6-5 | Weight: 265 | Previously: 15
I thought Ferrell could have been a first-round pick in the 2018 draft as a third-year sophomore. He had 9.5 sacks in 2017 and added another 11.5 last season. He terrorized Texas A&M and Georgia Southern with two sacks apiece and multiple pressures. He is likely to be a traditional defensive end on a 4-3 defense.

i

24. Johnathan Abram, S, Mississippi State
Height: 6-0 | Weight: 215 | Previously: 23
Abram flirted with my top 40 all last season, and I moved him up to my No. 1 safety in this class a few weeks ago. He stepped up during the second half of the season and was a tone-setter for the Bulldogs' defense, finishing with 99 tackles, two interceptions and three sacks. He is extremely physical in the run game and has good hips and feet in pass coverage. Abrams was supposed to compete in the Senior Bowl, but he was held out because of an undisclosed injury. We still need to see his true speed, so I hope he's healthy enough to run at the combine.

Andre Dillard, OT, Washington State[/paste:font]
Height: 6-5 | Weight: 306 | Previously: 24
Dillard is a big riser after the Senior Bowl. He was one of the best prospects there, and he held his own against every pass-rusher. His strength is in moving his feet in pass protection -- a must for Cougars coach Mike Leach -- and he showed in Mobile that he can handle power rushers, too. If Dillard, a three-year starter at Washington State, tests well at the combine, he could keep rising in the first-round discussion. As the NFL continues to get more pass-happy, teams need left tackles with good feet. That's Dillard.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Top 10 prospects by position

Quarterbacks
1. **Dwayne Haskins, Ohio State
2. *Kyler Murray, Oklahoma
3. Drew Lock, Missouri
4. *Daniel Jones, Duke
5. Will Grier, West Virginia
6. Ryan Finley, NC State
7. *Jarrett Stidham, Auburn
8. *Tyree Jackson, Buffalo
9. Clayton Thorson, Northwestern
10. Gardner Minshew, Washington State
Running backs
1. *Josh Jacobs, Alabama
2. *Damien Harris, Alabama
3. *Darrell Henderson, Memphis
4. *Devin Singletary, Florida Atlantic
5. *David Montgomery, Iowa State
6. Bryce Love, Stanford
7. *Rodney Anderson, Oklahoma
8. *Elijah Holyfield, Georgia
9. *Miles Sanders, Penn State
10. *Benny Snell Jr., Kentucky

Fullbacks/H-backs
1. Alec Ingold. Wisconsin
2. Chandler Cox, Auburn
3. Winston Dimel, UTEP
4. George Aston, Pitt
5. Trevon Wesco, West Virginia
6. Joe Protheroe, Cal Poly
7. Darnell Woolfolk, Army
8. Carson Meier, Oklahoma
9. Marcus Jones, Gannon
10. Andy Davidson, Army
Wide receivers
1. *Marquise Brown, Oklahoma
2. **D.K. Metcalf, Mississippi
3. *A.J. Brown, Mississippi
4. *Preston Williams, Colorado State
5. Parris Campbell, Ohio State
6. Deebo Samuel, South Carolina
7. *N'Keal Harry, Arizona State
8. Terry McLaurin, Ohio State
9. *Hakeem Butler, Iowa State
10. Anthony Johnson, Buffalo
Tight ends
1. **T.J. Hockenson, Iowa
2. *Irv Smith Jr., Alabama
3. *Noah Fant, Iowa
4. Tommy Sweeney, Boston College
5. **Kaden Smith, Stanford
6. *Caleb Wilson, UCLA
7. *Dawson Knox, Mississippi
8. Drew Sample, Washington
9. Foster Moreau, LSU
10. Josh Oliver, San Jose State
Offensive tackles
1. *Jonah Williams, Alabama
2. *Jawaan Taylor, Florida
3. Andre Dillard, Washington State
4. *Greg Little, Mississippi
5. Yodny Cajuste, West Virginia
6. Max Scharping, Northern Illinois
7. Chuma Edoga, USC
8. *Bobby Evans, Oklahoma
9. Kaleb McGary, Washington
10. *David Edwards, Wisconsin
Guards
1. *Cody Ford, Oklahoma
2. Chris Lindstrom, Boston College
3. Dalton Risner, Kansas State
4. *Connor McGovern, Penn State
5. Beau Benzschawel, Wisconsin
6. Dru Samia, Oklahoma
7. Nate Davis, Charlotte
8. *Nate Herbig, Stanford
9. Ben Powers, Oklahoma
10. Javon Patterson, Mississippi
Centers
1. Elgton Jenkins, Mississippi State
2. *Michael Jordan, Ohio State
3. Garrett Bradbury, NC State
4. *Erik McCoy, Texas A&M
5. Michael Deiter, Wisconsin
6. Lamont Gaillard, Georgia
7. Ross Pierschbacher, Alabama
8. John Keenoy, Western Michigan
9. Jesse Burkett, Stanford
10. Ryan Anderson, Wake Forest

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Defensive ends
1. *Nick Bosa, Ohio State
2. *Rashan Gary, Michigan
3. Montez Sweat, Mississippi State
4. *Clelin Ferrell, Clemson
5. Jaylon Ferguson, Louisiana Tech
6. Zach Allen, Boston College
7. *Joe Jackson, Miami (Fla.)
8. *Anthony Nelson, Iowa
9. Carl Granderson, Wyoming
10. Charles Omenihu, Texas

Defensive tackles
1. **Quinnen Williams, Alabama
2. *Ed Oliver, Houston
3. *Dexter Lawrence, Clemson
4. Christian Wilkins, Clemson
5. *Jeffery Simmons, Mississippi State
6. Jerry Tillery, Notre Dame
7. *Dre'Mont Jones, Ohio State
8. Gerald Willis III, Miami (Fla.)
9. Khalen Saunders, Western Illinois
10. Isaiah Buggs, Alabama
Inside linebackers
1. *Devin White, LSU
2. *Devin Bush, Michigan
3. *Mack Wilson, Alabama
4. *Vosean Joseph, Florida
5. Te'von Coney, Notre Dame
6. *David Long, West Virginia
7. *Tre Lamar, Clemson
8. Bobby Okereke, Stanford
9. T.J. Edwards, Wisconsin
10. E.J. Ejiya, North Texas
Outside linebackers
1. Josh Allen, Kentucky
2. *Jachai Polite, Florida
3. *Brian Burns, Florida State
4. Oshane Ximines, Old Dominion
5. Chase Winovich, Michigan
6. D'Andre Walker, Georgia
7. Chase Hansen, Utah
8. Terrill Hanks, New Mexico State
9. Germaine Pratt, NC State
10. Christian Miller, Alabama
Cornerbacks
1. **Greedy Williams, LSU
2. Deandre Baker, Georgia
3. **Byron Murphy, Washington
4. Julian Love, Notre Dame
5. *Trayvon Mullen, Clemson
6. Lonnie Johnson Jr., Kentucky
7. Rock Ya-Sin, Temple
8. Amani Oruwariye, Penn State
9. *Justin Layne, Michigan State
10. *Joejuan Williams, Vanderbilt
Safeties
1. Johnathan Abram, Mississippi State
2. *Deionte Thompson, Alabama
3. Nasir Adderley, Delaware
4. *Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, Florida
5. Juan Thornhill, Virginia
6. *Taylor Rapp, Washington
7. Will Harris, Boston College
8. *Amani Hooker, Iowa
9. Jaquan Johnson, Miami (Fla.)
10. Darnell Savage Jr., Maryland
Punters and kickers
1. Jake Bailey, Stanford (P)
2. Tyler Newsome, Notre Dame (P)
3. John Baron II, San Diego State (K)
4. Matt Gay, Utah (K)
5. Cody Grace, Arkansas State (P)
6. Sterling Hofrichter, Syracuse (P)
7. Cole Tracy, LSU (PK)
8. Mitch Wishnowsky, Utah (P)
9. Stefan Flintoft, UCLA (P)
10. Chase McLaughlin, Illinois (K)

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Law: Bobby Witt Jr. shows a lot, but is he a top-three pick?

Bad weather chased me around Texas -- or so I choose to believe -- but I did manage to see my main target for the trip, Colleyville Heritage High School shortstop Bobby Witt Jr., for one game on Saturday before leaving town (his team's Friday doubleheader was washed out). Witt, the presumptive top high school player in the draft class and the son of the No. 3 overall pick in the 1985 draft, went 4-for-4 with four singles in his team's 20-1 victory over Midlothian. (You might say their win by mercy rule ripped out ... the heart of Midlothian. Or you might not.)

Witt is a gifted athlete who certainly shows three of the five tools and very good instincts on both sides of the ball. His swing is simple and direct, and he shows excellent hand strength for hard contact. His load and setup are fine, but his swing gets long, and he collapses his back side on nearly every swing. There might be power here from his strength and swing path, but he'll swing and miss quite a bit with that kind of finish, and he can be vulnerable in several ways to pitchers with decent off-speed stuff.

In the field, however, he is smooth and definitely projects to stay at shortstop with a plus arm, good range to his left and soft hands. He also is a plus runner, and he seemed to steal bases at will against a weak opponent, even with lefties on the mound the entire game.

Witt is well-known and has shown well in various showcases and summer events over the past few years, so he is going to be drafted high, likely higher than I'd rank him, given the concerns I have with his swing. He also is going to turn 19 just a week after the draft, putting him on the old side for a prep hitter (although not the oldest in this report), which also will cost him with teams that draft using analytical models that incorporate age as a variable. He could be a star, but I don't think he is the sort of high-ceiling/high-probability prospect teams typically want with one of the top three picks.

• Houston-area Cypress Ranch High School has two top prospects for this year's draft, both right-handed pitchers, and one helped himself in a doubleheader on Thursday, while the other's start was a catastrophe. JJ Goss was outstanding, as he struck out 15 and didn't give up a hit until the final inning (which he shouldn't even have started given his pitch count and the cold, wet conditions). He pitched at 90 to 94 mph his entire outing with good life and moved the ball around well left, right and especially up for swings-and-misses. His slider was 81 to 85 mph, short and tight, and he showed some feel to command it, burying it in to left-handed batters rather than going to his changeup, which he showed but just barely and which was probably too firm to be a viable third weapon. Goss is very aggressive on the mound, maybe a little too much so as he rushes his delivery and separates his hands a bit early, but he gets good extension out front and showed zero fear or ill effects from the weather.

• His teammate Matt Thompson had hit 95 mph in his previous start, but he cut Thursday's pregame bullpen short with a nosebleed, then was awful in the game -- 90 to 92 mph in the first, 86 to 88 in the second and 84 to 86 in the third. He did show a good slider, short and tight like a cutter, in the first, and had some four-seam life to his fastball, but everything else was off. He was coming across his body, couldn't command either pitch and left the game after four innings. He looks very athletic, and his arm path seemed fine, but pitchers who lose velocity like that are often hurt in some way.

• Lake Travis HS outside of Austin also has a pair of potential high draft picks, both of whom looked like first-rounders this week. Right-hander Jimmy Lewis was dominant on Wednesday, working 90 to 94 mph and moving the ball well to both sides of the plate, with a tight-spinning curveball that seemed to improve as the game went on. Lewis also really competed, looking more focused and pitching more efficiently when he started approaching the pitch limit his coach had set for him before the game. Lewis has a very quick arm and gets great extension over his front side, with some effort to the delivery, in part because he doesn't repeat it that well, but he looks athletic enough that he should be able to do so. He also is still quite projectable, and I could see him sitting at 93 to 96 mph in a few years with a plus curveball.

• Teammate Brett Baty, a third baseman, has the potential for a plus-hit/plus-power combination that should be enough to overcome concerns about his size. He has very fast hands, and he showed a good approach for a high school hitter. There's obvious power here, which he showed the day after I was there with a huge homer in his first at-bat; while on Wednesday, he stayed shorter to the ball and hit a pair of singles, both well-hit, around an intentional walk and an HBP. Baty is listed at 6-foot-3 and 210 pounds, both of which seem well out of date; he looks 6-foot-5 and probably 235 pounds or more. He is agile for someone so big, but the odds of him playing anywhere but first base or an outfield corner are pretty slim, so he has to hit. Baty's other drawback is his age; he already is 19 and will be past 19½ on draft day, which will kill him in some analytical models. I do think age matters, but it's not definitive; J.T. Realmuto was about 19¼ when he was drafted, and he has turned out OK, while Blake Rutherford was 19 and a month, and so far he hasn't hit like he did in high school. Baty looks like he has enough hit and power to at least move into low-A in 2020 after he signs, which would be my main scouting criterion for clearing a 19-year-old prep hitter for a high pick.

• TCU lefty Nick Lodolo was the 41st overall pick in 2016, but he turned down a reported seven-figure bonus from the Pittsburgh Pirates to play for the Horned Frogs. He'll probably do better in the draft this time around as a college starter in a weak class, but I don't think he has developed as much as scouts expected. Pitching against Grand Canyon on Friday night, Lodolo was mostly 91 to 94 mph with a big-breaking slider of 79 to 82 mph, using the latter to get chase swings, and he threw both pitches for strikes when he wanted to. Neither pitch gets swings-and-misses in the zone, however, and I don't think his fastball plays up to its velocity. He flashed a changeup with some fading action, too firm at 85 to 86 mph but very promising at 81 to 82. Lodolo's arm slot looks a little higher to me than it did three years ago, which probably helps him have a chance to start, and he still has some room to get stronger and perhaps throw harder. He struck out 12 but gave up a pair of solo homers, one very well-struck by the Antelopes' best prospect.

Best of E:60
ESPN's award-winning Sunday morning sports magazine show, featuring the biggest names and the best stories in sports. Watch on ESPN+

• That would be Grand Canyon right fielder Quin Cotton, who took an 0-2 pitch that was running in on him out with a great two-strike swing where he waited on the pitch, letting it travel before starting his bat. He is an above-average runner with quick hands at the plate, but he was seen as an extra outfielder in pro ball because he didn't have the power for a corner. (He had nine homers total in two years at Grand Canyon and three summers in wood-bat leagues.) I don't think he's a plus-power guy even in the future, but he seems strong enough to hit for enough power and quality contact to profile as a soft regular.

• Kansas' series against Texas Southern was moved south to Melissa, Texas, so a number of us in town to see Witt and Lodolo went there to see Jayhawks right-hander Ryan Zeferjahn, who was 89 to 95 mph in his 11 a.m. start but didn't show much in the way of secondary stuff. His slider at 79 to 83 mph wasn't very sharp and only showed good tilt at the very top end of that range, and his changeup at 80 to 81 -- a circle change or palmball, I think -- seemed too easy to spot. He also dropped down several times when throwing his slider, with a slot above three-quarters for his fastball and change. He comes from the extreme third-base side of the rubber, so he is a little across his body to get on line to the plate, but it gives him modest deception, as well. Between the lack of secondaries and below-average command, he is more likely to be a reliever or less than a major league starter.

• There was a lot of buzz among area scouts about Texas Tech infielder Josh Jung's bat, with most saying he is a top-half-of-the-first-round guy, even though he doesn't project to stay at third. That could give the state three picks in the top 10, with Witt and Baylor catcher Shea Langeliers, who broke a hamate bone last Saturday and will be out for the next few weeks -- and likely won't show the same hand strength or contact quality after he returns.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
MLB starting pitcher tiers: New wave of aces rises above game's changes

When you think about it, pitchers are kind of pre-sorted into tiers through the machinations of their managers and organizations. No. 1 starter, No. 2 starter, opener, bulk guy, LOOGY, closer, set-up man, multi-inning reliever -- these are all inherent parts of the pitching hierarchy in 21st-century baseball.

What's murky about it, perhaps now more than ever, is what the relative value of a pitcher -- whatever his role may be -- is compared to an everyday position player. Increasingly, we also are starting to wonder how much current usage trends, with their deep bullpens, two-times-through-the-order restrictions, and on-and-off-the-disabled-list shuffling, have eaten into the starter's role as the king of the pitching kingdom.

Make no mistake, though. The ace pitcher is not extinct, and while baseball's top pitchers may not carry the on-field value of preceding generations, they still carry plenty of value in both the marketplace and on the field. One hundred years ago, an elite starter like Walter Johnson likely needed to crack 10 WAR (Baseball-Reference.com flavor) to lead the majors, and he often did so. Johnson had seven seasons of at least 10 -- and as many as 15 -- bWAR.

Such seasons have become increasingly rare. The only one we had between 2003 and 2007 was Zack Greinke's dominant 2009 campaign in Kansas City. But we had one last year, with Philadelphia's Aaron Nola reaching 10.5 bWAR. Now, WAR calculations for pitchers vary wildly between Baseball Reference and FanGraphs, which didn't rate Nola so highly, but there is no doubt that 2018 was a great year for ace pitchers.

That it happened in the season when the Rays unleashed the "opener" on us was ironic and mysterious at the same time. Even in Tampa Bay, there are mixed signals. On one hand, the Rays contended with waves of mostly faceless relievers and only a fraction of an actual starting rotation. On the other hand, one of the Rays' bona fide starters, Blake Snell, authored the best pitching season in franchise history and won the American League Cy Young Award.

Which direction is all this headed? Right now, it's hard to say. But in some ways, all of this splintering of pitching responsibility only enhances the value of baseball's current aces. When there are so many who excel at doing what is, historically speaking, so little, the small pool of true workhorses means so much.

The tiers of a starting rotation -- the Nos. 1, 2, etc. -- don't exactly correlate to the tiers of this ranking series. Here, we've tried to rank all players together, so a first-tier player is a first-tier player; his position has nothing to do with it. One byproduct of that is that it actually allows us to get a quick sense of how every team's rotation is set up.

MLB ROTATIONS BY TIER
Team I II III IV V VI Total Rating
Indians 1 2 1 1 0 0 5 4.60
Yankees 0 3 1 0 1 0 5 4.20
Astros 1 1 0 1 1 0 4 4.00
Red Sox 1 0 2 2 0 0 5 4.00
Nationals 1 2 0 0 2 1 6 3.50
Dodgers 0 2 1 3 0 1 7 3.43
Mets 1 1 2 0 1 2 7 3.29
Cardinals 0 0 2 1 1 0 4 3.25
Braves 0 0 3 2 2 0 7 3.14
Cubs 0 0 4 1 1 1 7 3.14
D-backs 0 1 1 1 3 0 6 3.00
Rays 0 1 1 1 3 0 6 3.00
Rockies 0 1 1 2 1 1 6 3.00
Pirates 0 2 0 2 3 1 8 2.88
Phillies 0 1 2 0 3 1 7 2.86
Reds 0 0 1 2 3 0 6 2.67
Royals 0 0 0 3 0 1 4 2.50
Twins 0 0 1 1 5 0 7 2.43
Brewers 0 0 0 2 4 0 6 2.33
Giants 0 0 1 0 5 0 6 2.33
Mariners 0 0 1 1 4 1 7 2.29
Blue Jays 0 0 1 0 5 1 7 2.14
Angels 0 0 0 2 5 1 8 2.13
Marlins 0 0 0 1 6 1 8 2.00
Padres 0 0 0 1 3 1 5 2.00
Tigers 0 0 1 0 3 2 6 2.00
White Sox 0 0 0 1 2 2 5 1.80
Athletics 0 0 0 0 6 2 8 1.75
Orioles 0 0 0 1 1 3 5 1.60
Free agents 0 0 1 0 8 10 19 1.58
Rangers 0 0 0 2 0 5 7 1.57
Total 5 17 28 34 82 38 204 2.60

The number in the right column is an overall rating of each club's projected rotation, based on tiers. We gave six points for a Tier I pitcher, five points for Tier II, etc. Then we added up the total points and divided by the number of starters we rated.

Sorry about that, Rangers fans, we probably should have issued some kind of PG-13 warning before you read that Texas' rotation projects to be worse than one an imaginary team could create out of the remaining pool of free agents.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
TIER I: FRANCHISE PERFORMERS

Chris Sale, Boston Red Sox
Position rank: 1
hWAR: 6.66

Sale just keeps getting more and more dominant, with a development pattern that runs headlong into what it figured his career would look like when he broke in with the White Sox. He was so thin, threw so violently, with such a sling-shot motion, that it felt like a matter of time before he broke down. What we didn't see at first is what Red Sox fans have seen for two years now: one of baseball's most fierce competitors.

Methodology

Players are rated statistically according to anticipated 2019 value, playing time and primary position. The core metric being used is hWAR, which stands for harmonic wins above replacement.

• The ratings are based on a cross section of projections, including my system (MLBPET), the Steamer projections from FanGraphs.com, PECOTA from BaseballProspectus.com and the Davenport projections from ClayDavenport.com.

• Using forecasts for runs created, fielding runs, pitching runs allowed, a consensus version of projected wins above replacement was calculated for each player. This consensus WAR is referred to as hWAR in the rankings.

• Data from FanGraphs for Defensive Runs Saved and Ultimate Zone Rating were incorporated into the fielding component for each position player.

• Win Probability Added data from FanGraphs was incorporated into the ratings, primarily to better capture the value of top relief pitchers.

• For players likely to spend the majority of their time this season at designated hitter, their primary position was considered to be where they've spent the most time on the field in recent years. The Angels' Shohei Ohtani was included with the right fielders, as that is the position -- other than pitcher -- at which he appeared most often in Japan.

• Each player's Tier status was determined by his overall MLB rank, not the rank within his base position. The idea was to give a snapshot of where the production is coming from in baseball right now. How many Tier I first basemen are there right now? What about Tier II relief pitchers? This kind of grouping gives us a sense of how players are being evaluated and deployed, and an idea what the talent pool looks like at present. The Tiers are defined as follows:

TIER DEFINITIONS:

I. Franchise Guys (players ranking 1 to 15).

II. All-Stars (players ranking 16 to 60).

III. First-division regulars (players ranking 61 to 135).

IV. Second-division regulars (players ranking 136 to 270).

V. Role players (players ranking 271 to 750).

VI. Extras (everyone else).

Sale's 27 starts and 158 innings were career-low totals since he converted to starting pitching in 2012, but he also posted career bests in ERA (2.11), WHIP (0.86) and K/9 (13.5). If not for the time he missed with shoulder inflammation, he would have finally won his first Cy Young Award. Instead, he finished fourth in the voting despite the lack of volume, the seventh straight season in which he has finished in the top seven.

With that, Sale is starting to enter the conversation of the best pitchers to have not won a Cy Young. Actually, he may be the conversation ender. Since 1956 -- the year the late Don Newcombe won the first Cy Young -- here are the pitchers with the best ERA+ figures, at least 200 career starts and zero Cy Young Awards (minimum, 200 career starts):

1. Chris Sale, 144 (7 top-10 finishes)
2. Stephen Strasburg, 129 (2)
3. Curt Schilling, 127 (4)
4. Roy Oswalt, 127 (6)
5. Kevin Brown, 127 (5)

Jacob deGrom, New York Mets
Position rank: 2
hWAR: 6.35

Did you realize that deGrom is already 30 years old? He'll turn 31 on June 19. He was 26 when he broke in with the Mets in 2014, and he has been good every season since, except for last season, when he transcended good to a higher plane of existence, one occupied by few before except perhaps Sidd Finch. After deGrom gave up four runs to the Marlins on April 10, his third outing of the season, he made 29 more starts and never gave up that many runs again.

The numbers are staggering: 217 innings, 269 strikeouts and only 10 homers allowed after giving up 28 in 2017. An ERA of 1.70. Even his much-discussed win-loss record (10-9) is an all-timer: How could a team so consistently screw up starts of that caliber and consistency as last year's Mets did? Who would have thought that in the era of Dark Knight and Thor that it would be deGrom who'd emerge as the best of them all?

Max Scherzer, Washington Nationals
Position rank: 3
hWAR: 5.86

Scherzer has such a dominating presence on the mound that it's hard to believe that, in the clubhouse, he's just kind of a goofy guy, in the best way possible. Like deGrom and Sale, Scherzer continues to feast on the launch-angle generation, last season reaching the hallowed 300 strikeout level for the first time. He's now at 159 career wins through his age-33 season. The "Bill James Handbook" now gives Scherzer the best chance of eventually reaching 300 wins of any active pitcher -- 38 percent. Let's see: 141 wins over the next 10 years would take him to age 43. He has averaged 17.3 wins over his past eight seasons. Given his trajectory of unending improvement, baseball may not have seen its last 300-game winner.

Corey Kluber, Cleveland Indians
Position rank: 4
hWAR: 5.61

Kluber hit his usual benchmarks in 2018, with a league-high 215 innings, 222 strikeouts, a sub-3.00 ERA (2.89) and, for the first time, he won 20 games. Kluber's bWAR (5.9) was roughly in line with his average for the past five seasons (6.5). The two-time Cy Young winner finished third in the voting last season, his fifth-straight top-10 finish. And yet there was a feeling that the shine is off the Klu-bot just a little bit. His velocity was down a touch, and he was less reliant on his fastball. Of course, Kluber's deep arsenal means that he can pull out any number of weapons when he needs to. And if the pitch mix changed, his command didn't, as he led the American League in BB/9 for the second straight season. That said, Kluber's postseason ERA over the past two seasons is 10.64 over three outings, and he was the subject of persistent trade rumors all winter. Were the Indians trying to sell high? Should they? We'll see how Kluber responds this summer. You probably shouldn't bet against him.

Justin Verlander, Houston Astros
Position rank: 5
hWAR: 5.59

Speaking of 300-game winners, Verlander reached 200 last season, and at 35 has never been better. He has been as good, but not better. Last season's ERA+ (159) was his third-best, his K/9 (12.2) was easily a career high, and his BB/9 (1.6) was a career low. Verlander said more than once that he wants to pitch another 10 seasons. Right now, he shows every indication of being able to do just that. If he does, he'd need to average only 9.6 wins per season to reach 300. In the nearer term, Verlander is at 2,706 career strikeouts, leaving him 294 shy of the 3,000 mark. He struck out a career-high 290 last season, so you can't put it past him to reach the mark in late September.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
TIER II: ALL-STARS

6. Carlos Carrasco, Indians (5.00 hWAR); 7. Aaron Nola, Philadelphia Phillies (4.76 hWAR); 8. Luis Severino, New York Yankees (4.72 hWAR); 9. Clayton Kershaw, Los Angeles Dodgers (4.72 hWAR); 10. Gerrit Cole, Astros (4.66 hWAR); 11. Blake Snell, Tampa Bay Rays (4.56 hWAR); 12. Noah Syndergaard, Mets (4.45 hWAR); 13. Trevor Bauer, Indians (4.27 hWAR); 14. James Paxton, Yankees (4.19 hWAR); 15. Patrick Corbin, Nationals (3.91 hWAR); 16. Zack Greinke, Arizona Diamondbacks (3.68 hWAR); 17. Stephen Strasburg, Nationals (3.65 hWAR); 18. Jameson Taillon, Pittsburgh Pirates (3.64 hWAR); 19. Chris Archer, Pirates (3.63 hWAR); 20. German Marquez, Colorado Rockies (3.60 hWAR); 21. Walker Buehler, Dodgers (3.57 hWAR); 22. Masahiro Tanaka, Yankees (3.51 hWAR).

Carrasco inked a three-year, $47 million deal in December to remain in Cleveland for the near term. He remains one of the more unsung outstanding pitchers in the game, often overshadowed on his own pitching staff by the award-winning Kluber and the outspoken Bauer. But the presence of that trio of hurlers in the top two tiers is why Cleveland tops the rotation rankings you see above.

The expectations for Kershaw have fallen off a bit, mostly because after three straight seasons of making 27 starts or fewer, you can't reasonably project him with a full season's worth of innings. Last season, his pro-rata performance was down as well, with his diminishing velocity creating more and more problems. And yet Kershaw's ERA was 2.73, which, even when adjusted for the pitching-friendly environment of Dodger Stadium, translates to 42 percent better than league average. Chances are, while we may never see peak Kershaw again, we're not done seeing great seasons from him.

The other thing that stands out in this tier is that with the addition of Paxton, the Yankees have three pitchers on it. The New York rotation might not have anyone who matches up perfectly with Sale, but they'll take their chances in the two games after that.

TIER III: FIRST-DIVISION REGULARS

23. Charlie Morton, Rays (3.42 hWAR); 24. Miles Mikolas, St. Louis Cardinals (3.34 hWAR); 25. Dallas Keuchel, free agent (3.28 hWAR); 26. Jack Flaherty, Cardinals (3.18 hWAR); 27. David Price, Red Sox (3.12 hWAR); 28. Marcus Stroman, Toronto Blue Jays(3.05 hWAR); 29. J.A. Happ, Yankees (3.05 hWAR); 30. Kyle Hendricks, Chicago Cubs (3.01 hWAR); 31. Jose Berrios, Minnesota Twins (2.97 hWAR); 32. Rich Hill, Dodgers (2.95 hWAR); 33. Mike Clevinger, Indians (2.89 hWAR); 34. Robbie Ray, Diamondbacks (2.78 hWAR); 35. Rick Porcello, Red Sox (2.77 hWAR); 36. Mike Foltynewicz, Atlanta Braves (2.71 hWAR); 37. Madison Bumgarner, San Francisco Giants (2.70 hWAR); 38. Jon Gray, Rockies (2.65 hWAR); 39. Luis Castillo, Reds (2.65 hWAR); 40. Zack Wheeler, Mets (2.60 hWAR); 41. Yu Darvish, Cubs (2.59 hWAR); 42. Cole Hamels, Cubs (2.59 hWAR); 43. Nick Pivetta, Phillies (2.58 hWAR); 44. Kevin Gausman, Braves (2.55 hWAR); 45. Jake Arrieta, Phillies (2.50 hWAR); 46. Jose Quintana, Cubs (2.49 hWAR); 47. Michael Fulmer, Detroit Tigers (2.48 hWAR); 48. Carlos Martinez, Cardinals (2.43 hWAR); 49. Marco Gonzales, Seattle Mariners (2.41 hWAR); 50. Steven Matz, Mets (2.35 hWAR)

Cubs fans will no doubt note that they have four pitchers rated in Tier III. It seems fitting for where Chicago's staff is at. They have a lot of pitchers who have performed at an All-Star level in the past but have also seen their ups and downs over the past couple of years. Hendricks has probably been the most consistent of the bunch. If you add in aging Jon Lester, who ended up on Tier IV thanks to some pessimistic projections, would you really be surprised if any of Chicago's starters finished on any of the top four tiers? This is both the best and worst thing about this year's Cubs. The names in the rotation look great, but the starters could carry them or bury them.

TIER IV: SECOND-DIVISION REGULARS

51. Hyun-Jin Ryu, Dodgers; 52. Kyle Gibson, Twins; 53. Joe Musgrove, Pirates; 54. Eduardo Rodriguez, Red Sox; 55. Zack Godley, Diamondbacks; 56. Jakob Junis, Kansas City Royals; 57. Nathan Eovaldi, Red Sox; 58. Shane Bieber, Indians; 59. Kyle Freeland, Rockies; 60. Tyler Skaggs, Los Angeles Angels; 61. Alex Wood, Reds; 62. Joey Lucchesi, San Diego Padres; 63. Kenta Maeda, Dodgers; 64. Andrew Heaney, Angels; 65. Jon Lester, Cubs; 66. Dylan Bundy, Baltimore Orioles; 67. Josh James, Astros; 68. Sonny Gray, Reds; 69. Alex Reyes, Cardinals; 70. Mike Leake, Mariners; 71. Danny Duffy, Royals; 72. Ross Stripling, Dodgers; 73. Tyler Anderson, Rockies; 74. Julio Teheran, Braves; 75. Carlos Rodon, Chicago White Sox; 76. Brad Keller, Royals; 77. Jhoulys Chacin, Brewers; 78. Brandon Woodruff, Brewers; 79. Jose Urena, Miami Marlins; 80. Lance Lynn, Rangers; 81. Mike Minor, Rangers; 82. Sean Newcomb, Braves; 83. Trevor Williams, Pirates; 84. Tyler Glasnow, Rays

If we included the injured Michael Kopech here, just to give a glimpse at what White Sox fans can look forward to next season when he returns, he'd clock in at No. 67 (by also including the also-absent and injured Lance McCullers Jr. of the Astros, who would clock in at No. 31). Don't forget that there are 150 spots in 30 five-man rotations across the majors, so a No. 67 ranking is pretty close to being a No. 2 starter.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos

Ranking baseball's rosters based on their tiers of talent

Over the past couple of weeks, we rolled out our annual position rankings series, which usually come out around the time pitchers and catchers report. This was my first year handling the project, and I decided to structure it from the standpoint of tiers.

Doing it that way helped, I hope, offer a sense of how talent is grouped at the different positions right now, and which positions are stronger and weaker as compared to historical standards. But there is one final step we can take with this approach: What do the teamslook like from the standpoint of tiers?

As I did with the pitching staffs, it's simple enough to dump all the ratings into a file and see how many players each team has in each tier. So that's what I did, and the results serve a dual purpose. First, they simply give us a way to look at how teams stack up in relation to each other. It's not a rigorous projection, but the hierarchy of teams organized in this way isn't much different than it looks like in an actual projection of team records.

The other thing this snapshot offers is a glimpse at how teams have constructed their rosters. This is really the interesting part. Which teams are built with a stars-and-scrubs approach? Which teams have a lot of talent bunched in the middle? Which teams are good but have an obvious void in terms of MVP-level talent? Are there any teams that look less talented than the current group of unsigned free agents? (Sadly, there is one.)

As with the pitching tiers analysis, teams are given 6 points for each player rated in Tier I, 5 points for Tier II and so on. Those total points are then divided by the total number of players being rated to give us our tier-based score. I updated the teams' rosters with the latest transactions. To break up the commentary, we'll list the teams in groups of five.

The top five
Team I II III IV V VI Total Score
Yankees 1 4 5 6 13 19 48 2.27
Dodgers 0 5 2 9 12 22 50 2.12
Red Sox 2 2 3 5 13 21 46 2.09
Astros 2 4 0 4 17 21 48 2.06
Brewers 1 1 3 6 13 20 44 1.98

The Brewers' record the past couple of seasons has eluded the foresight of most leading projection systems, but this perspective suggests that Milwaukee has built a roster that can very nearly hang star for star with the elite teams of the majors.

The Brewers' Tier I star is the reigning National League MVP, Christian Yelich. He's joined in the upper tiers by center fielder Lorenzo Cain. But where Milwaukee's roster really jumps out is in terms of its quality depth.

Speaking of depth, the Dodgers have gone all-in on balanced, high-quality depth for a few years now. The lack of a Tier I star is debatable. Certainly, Clayton Kershaw was on that level before missing so much time over the past three seasons. Justin Turner and Corey Seager aren't far from that elite, 15-player tier either, and the latter is young enough to challenge for an MVP one of these seasons.

The Yankees and Dodgers both have 16 players ranked in Tiers I through IV. That's tied for the most in the majors -- four more than any other team.

The second five
Cubs 1 2 4 4 15 25 51 1.94
Mets 1 3 5 2 12 30 53 1.91
Braves 0 2 5 5 9 29 50 1.84
Cardinals 0 2 5 4 12 29 52 1.83
Nationals 1 5 2 2 12 36 58 1.81

The Cubs look to be a hair shy of the Brewers in terms of depth, though their big three (Kris Bryant, Anthony Rizzo and Javier Baez) offers more star power than any trio from Milwaukee. Not only have the Cubs and Brewers become fierce rivals, but they are both strong teams with very different roster constructions, especially in terms of the pitching staff. The Brewers have one of baseball's flashiest bullpens, while the Cubs are deep with proven, veteran starters.

As for the Mets, the Tier I player is Jacob deGrom, a designation few would argue with. However, it might be surprising to some that New York also has three Tier II performers -- Noah Syndergaard, Michael Conforto and Robinson Cano. If a few of the Mets' Tier V players make a leap, this could be a very strong roster. We're talking about players such as Peter Alonso, Amed Rosario and Keon Broxton.

Teams 11 through 15
Phillies 0 2 5 3 12 29 51 1.80
Pirates 0 2 2 7 13 27 51 1.80
Indians 3 2 1 3 13 34 56 1.80
Rays 0 1 2 5 21 25 54 1.76
Rockies 1 1 4 3 11 31 51 1.75

The fan fury in Pittsburgh over the team's lack of payroll investment continues unabated, and it's a situation that isn't helped anytime Pirates owner Bob Nutting opens his mouth. If the Bucs were to come out of nowhere and sign Bryce Harper to fill that goose egg in the Tier I column, suddenly Pittsburgh would leap over the Cardinals in these ratings and fall right in the general neighborhood of the Brewers and Cubs.

The team that seems to be the favorite to actually pull the trigger on Harper is Pennsylvania's other big league club, which has improved its depth but also lacks that finishing piece. If and when the signing with the Phillies happens, the tiers system would see Philadelphia and the Mets as virtual co-favorites in the NL East. But, dang, it's an awfully strong division.

Teams 16 through 20
Athletics 0 1 3 4 25 29 62 1.74
Reds 0 2 3 6 13 34 58 1.72
Angels 1 0 3 4 14 28 50 1.72
Twins 0 0 2 8 18 29 57 1.70
Blue Jays 0 0 2 4 18 25 49 1.65

There is nothing sadder in any of these ratings than the zero after Mike Trout's Tier I acknowledgment for the Angels.

Teams 21 through 25
Diamondbacks 0 1 1 5 18 29 54 1.65
Mariners 0 1 2 4 15 30 52 1.63
Padres 0 1 0 6 19 32 58 1.60
Rangers 0 0 2 4 11 25 42 1.60
Giants 0 1 2 3 15 32 53 1.58

We're into the rebuilding groups now, and the presence of the Padres should serve as a reminder that there is still work to do in building up that roster. But I do love what's going on in San Diego, even if any hopes of surprise 2019 contention hinge on Eric Hosmer and Wil Myers playing up to the level of their contracts, and a no-name rotation overachieving. Even if it doesn't happen this year, the Friars are a franchise poised for great things in the 2020s.

The bottom five
White Sox 0 0 2 1 14 24 41 1.54
Tigers 0 0 1 3 15 33 52 1.46
Royals 0 0 1 5 11 35 52 1.46
Marlins 0 0 0 3 16 30 49 1.45
Free agents 1 0 2 3 47 95 148 1.43
Orioles 0 0 0 1 13 40 54 1.28

There is only one player from the first two tiers in the bottom group and he's a free agent: Harper. In case you're wondering, these ratings are suggesting exactly what you're think they're suggesting. That is, the Orioles could field a better roster by replacing the group that they have with those veterans stuck lingering on the free-agent market. But it's unlikely that Harper, Dallas Keuchel, Craig Kimbrel or Marwin Gonzalez figures into the Orioles' short-term plans.

Blast from the past

Pace of play has been a hot topic the past couple of years, as average game lengths have crept over the three-hour mark at a time when most people can't go 30 seconds without doing something on their phone. I have to confess that while I think it's an important topic, the length of games doesn't generally bother me. There are exceptions -- seven hours is a bit much, even for a World Series game -- but when I'm at the park, games just never feel long to me. And when I'm at home, I've got about 10 things going at once, so any dead time is actually a welcome respite.

However, I do remember that in my younger days, baseball games tended to be shorter, and I can verify these memories by looking at logs from Baseball-Reference.com. The first big league game I ever went to was in 1980. (George Brett doubled.) The average game lasted 2 hours, 38 minutes that season. That figure kept trending upward until it peaked at 3 hours, 8 minutes in 2017, a full half-hour longer than in 1980.

If you're not old enough to remember 1980 and want to get a sense of what a fast-paced game from baseball's bygone eras looks like, there is a trove of old contests on YouTube. Last week, I pulled up Game 6 of the 1971 World Series between the Orioles and Pirates, a game Baltimore won 3-2 to force a Game 7. The game went 10 innings, but still lasted only 2:59.

Some observations:

1. There was lots of talk on the broadcast about how quickly Baltimore pitchers worked, a reflection of the philosophy of Earl Weaver's pitching coach, George Bamberger. Jim Palmer threw nine innings before giving way to a pinch hitter and, man, he did not waste time on the mound. You know that thing they do in postseason broadcasts these days, where between pitches they show someone from each dugout, then someone in the crowd -- usually someone's famous girlfriend?

With Palmer on the mound, trying to do that would have driven 21st century producers crazy. When they tried to so much as show a close-up of a hitter, the beginning of Palmer's delivery was missed. He got the ball and he threw it. If the batter stepped out, Palmer went into his delivery as soon as the batter got back into the box. A pitch clock of 10 seconds wouldn't have fazed him.

2. The Orioles trailed 2-1 into the seventh inning and with one out, light-hitting No. 8 batter Mark Belanger singled. Weaver then let Palmer hit for himself, and the Hall of Fame righty struck out looking against Bob Johnson. This is not a thing that could happen in 2019.

3. Roberto Clemente went bonkers in that World Series, going 12-for-29 with a couple of homers, including one to score the first run of Pittsburgh's 2-1 win in Game 7. He also showed off his legendary throwing arm. If you ever wondered what all the hullabaloo is about Clemente, it was all on display in that series.

During the middle innings of Game 6, the broadcast shifted to Tony Kubek, who was filling the Buster Olney role for NBC. Kubek related how much the Baltimore fans around him were marveling at just how good Clemente really was, because as an American League city, they'd never seen him play before. Remember, this is 1971, but Kubek said, "This is a pretty good argument for interleague play." That was 26 years before the idea came to fruition.

4. It was a real pleasure listening to Curt Gowdy call a game. But during Game 7, which was played on a Sunday, Gowdy decided to give some NFL scores in the middle of the ninth inning. He said, "Miami murdered New England 41-3." You don't really hear that verb used that way anymore in sportscasting.

The drought is over

In case you missed it, host country Panama knocked off Cuba in the final of the most recent Caribbean World Series, and did it in the stadium there named after MLB Hall of Famer Rod Carew. It was the first time Panama had won the event since 1950. In honor of that, I decided to piece together the all-Panama team -- all big leaguers who were born in that country. It's a pretty good one: 1B, Rod Carew; 2B, Rennie Stennett; SS, Ruben Tejada; 3B, Johan Camargo; C, Manny Sanguillen; LF, Carlos Lee; CF, Roberto Kelly; RF, Ben Oglivie. The starting pitcher would be Bruce Chen, which, well, he's a great dude, but that squad is a little light in the rotation. But if our all-Panama team does get the lead, forget about it. The closer is Mariano Rivera.

Last word

One of my rites of spring is to read quotes from players dismissing the forecasts of projection systems. I will say one thing about PECOTA's last-place forecast for the Cubs: It doesn't match up with other systems, and it doesn't match up with Vegas. PECOTA is either going to be very right or very wrong about this year's Cubs.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Olney: Bryce Harper and 9 others under the most pressure in 2019

The easy way out for Bryce Harper would have been to work out something with the Nationals and return to Washington, where he was most comfortable. He could insist on staying closer to his Las Vegas home and sign a deal for fewer years with the Giants or some other club.

But it appears that Harper will land with the Phillies, after Philadelphia owner John Middleton -- who understands how invested his fan base is in the pursuit of the slugger -- got personal in the negotiations, getting on a plane to meet with agent Scott Boras and Harper. There is confidence within the Phillies' organization that it will land Harper. And it seems possible that Harper will wind up with the most lucrative contract in baseball history.

Along with the most money ever will come the most pressure ever, of course, and more scrutiny than any player has faced. To Phillies fans, Harper will be viewed as the guy who needs to be the difference-maker, and although he would be just one player among many the team acquired this winter -- following Andrew McCutchen, David Robertson, J.T. Realmuto and others -- Harper is destined to get the most credit, or the most blame.

If Harper signs with the Phillies, he will be under the most pressure of anybody in MLB in 2019. Here are nine others:

2. Tony Clark, union chief.

He just got a three-year extension from the players, ground from which he can work moving ahead -- and the players' association has a lot to do to improve the financial landscape for the players, to work through the forthcoming changes to on-field rules, and to prepare and educate the union brethren for what's to come. Among some players and agents, there has been unhappiness with the union leadership, and Clark will operate in 2019 under a form of double-secret probation.

3. Kris Bryant, Cubs

It's easy to forget that the Cubs won 95 games last year, and in an injury-shortened season, Bryant had a more than respectable .834 OPS. But Bryant was the 2016 NL MVP, he is on the Cubs, and he is a centerpiece of an organization aiming for another championship. Bryant says of the criticism: Bring it.

4. Joe Maddon, Cubs

He's entering the last year of his contract, and his chances for an extension would seem to ride directly on how the team fares. To put it another way: If Maddon wants to continue managing and the Cubs win the World Series, it's hard to imagine them tossing him overboard.

5. The Yankees

In 2017, their fan base was elated by the progress of young players like Aaron Judge -- and even after the Yankees fell short of reaching the World Series by one game, there was excitement, fueled by the acquisition of Giancarlo Stanton. But the Red Sox knocked them out in the ALDS in 2018, and now Aaron Boone, Stanton, Judge and the whole group will be expected by fans to take a step forward.

6. Brodie Van Wagenen

The Mets' new general manager was aggressive in the offseason, adding the likes of Robinson Cano, Edwin Diaz and Jed Lowrie, and he added to the anticipation by talking up his team, which is part of one of baseball's toughest divisions. If it works out and the Mets play well into October, Van Wagenen would rightly be under consideration for executive of the year; if it doesn't work out, the weight of the New York tabloids and the Mets' cynical fan base will fall on his shoulders.

7. Nolan Arenado

He is famously intense in competition and in his preparation, and if Arenado and the Rockies do not work out a long-term deal, Arenado will play the 2019 season amid great expectations -- as an audition for the offseason, when he would be the highest-profile free agent. It's the kind of stress that can affect a player, particularly someone who tends to self-cannibalize (to invent a word) if he doesn't play to his own standards.

8. Madison Bumgarner

If he pitches better this year and demonstrates that the decline in his fastball performance was just an anomaly, he stands to make big, big dollars, either in the form of an extension that ensures he'll finish his career with the Giants, or as a free agent.

If opponents continue to do damage against his fastball, however, this will embed concerns about how long he'll continue to be an upper-echelon pitcher.

So yes, there will be a lot of pressure on Bumgarner regardless of how San Francisco fares this season, and as we've seen in the past, Bumgarner tends to thrive under those conditions.

9. dikk Williams, Reds president of baseball operations

After years of rebuilding, it's a big year for Cincinnati, which stepped up with moves aimed to launch the team into relevance -- for Sonny Gray, Yasiel Puig, Matt Kemp, etc. Reds owner Bob Castellini is hypercompetitive and will expect to see progress, but the reality is that the Reds inhabit baseball's deepest division. Castellini will decide what constitutes progress, and the buck stops with Williams.

10. Rob Manfred, MLB commissioner.

He's in good standing with his bosses, the owners, who have enjoyed great profits. But baseball seems to be at a critical juncture in its history in mustering appeal to the youngest generation of fans, and Manfred is the guy at the wheel of enormous change -- while he tries to navigate through an increasingly turbulent relationship with the union.

Upcoming schedule:

1 p.m. ET Tuesday: Philadelphia Phillies at New York Yankees

1 p.m. ET Wednesday: Houston Astros at Washington Nationals

1 p.m. ET Thursday: Miami Marlins at Houston Astros

8 p.m. ET Friday: San Diego Padres at Los Angeles Dodgers

* The Red Sox need a couple of relievers to step up and establish themselves in the big leagues this year, and on Saturday, Travis Lakins -- one of the candidates -- threw a couple of innings in Boston's game against the Yankees. ... Phillies right-hander Nick Pivettahad a better year in 2018 than his overall numbers (4.77 ERA) would indicate, because on his bad days, he tended to generate really crooked numbers. In six of his 33 outings, he allowed six or more runs, and not surprisingly, one of his goals this year is to limit damage. ... Stephen Strasburg spent the winter in the Washington, D.C., area, rather than returning to San Diego, his hometown. The feeling in some corners of the Nationals' organization is that Strasburg may represent the difference between good and great for Washington in the upcoming season, because if he, Max Scherzer and Patrick Corbin all throw well, the team will likely have the best rotation in the NL East.

* Marwin Gonzalez's two-year, $21 million deal with the Twins greatly surprised a lot of evaluators, who thought that the extremely versatile former Astro would get at least a three-year contract. Gonzalez turns 30 next month, and over the past two seasons he played seven positions suitably, thriving as A.J. Hinch's safety net when nagging injuries popped up. He generated 5.6 fWAR in 2017-18, with 101 extra-base hits (including 39 homers), serving in an extremely important role for a team that won the 2017 World Series and reached the ALCS in 2018. His game-tying ninth-inning home run off Kenley Jansen in Game 2 of the '17 World Series was a pivotal crossroad over those seven games.

At the beginning of the offseason, his agent, Scott Boras, told teams that Gonzalez's asking price was a little over what Ben Zobrist got from the Cubs -- $56 million over four years. Some clubs moved on and pursued other solutions, cutting into Gonzalez's options and leverage, and in the end, Gonzalez got about a third of the dollars that Boras had initially suggested. And the Twins got an excellent player as a team-friendly rate, for less than what the Yankees paid DJ LeMahieu ($24 million over two years), and incredibly, about the same as what the Mets paid the 35-year-old Jed Lowrie (two years, $20 million).

A utility player like Gonzalez probably will find his best deals early in the offseason, before teams fill holes on their rosters and settle in for the holiday malaise. The Astros, for example, have decided to fill Gonzalez's role with Aledmys Diaz, who is cheaper but not nearly as experienced or accomplished. You wonder if Houston would've handled Gonzalez's situation differently if the Astros realized that in the end, he'd wind up with a two-year deal.

On the podcast:

* On Friday, Garth Brooks discussed his time in the Pirates' camp working out with the team and his foundation work; Boog Sciambi picks over/under win totals for the Padres, Dodgers, Brewers, Cubs, etc.; Coley Harvey on the work of Troy Tulowitzki and Miguel Andujar in Yankees' camp.

* Thursday: Karl Ravech on the bidding for Manny Machado and Harper; Sarah Langs and the Numbers Game; Jessica Mendoza on Van Wagenen and the Mets.

* Wednesday: Scott Miller of Bleacher Report on the Padres' signing of Manny Machado; Laura Armstrong of the Toronto Star discusses Vlad Jr. and Marcus Stroman; Paul Hembekides on Harper, Machado and the remarkable career and life of Don Newcombe.

* Tuesday: Dave Schoenfield discusses Mike Trout's future, and Bruce Bochy's jump shot (and Hall of Fame chances); conversations with Alex Cora and Mookie Betts; and Sarah Langs with some numbers.

* Monday: Tim Kurkjian discusses the forthcoming rule changes; Mark Teixeira on the labor situation.