Essential The Official ESPN Insider Thread (ESPN+)

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
The NFL draft prospects who graded the highest in 2017

Draft evaluation has long depended on the eyes of scouts -- who focus on traits, measurables and off-field assessments -- while on-field production is often a secondary component. But since Pro Football Focus started grading every snap of every college football game in 2014, early returns show that how well a prospect plays in college does project well to the NFL.

While it isn't as simple as taking the top-graded players and projecting a direct translation to the next level, it is a good starting point for evaluation when paired with traditional methods.

Here's a look at the top prospects who graded the highest on the field in 2017, and how they'll translate in the NFL.

Quarterbacks

i

Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma
Overall grade: 95.2

Mayfield has been in another league when it comes to throw-for-throw production, owning the top two season grades in the four years since PFF started tracking data. He's the most accurate quarterback in the draft, and has the arm strength and natural playmaking ability to succeed at the next level. Mayfield led the nation with an adjusted completion percentage of 80.6 last season and had the best grade from both a clean pocket and when facing pressure. No matter how the numbers are split, Mayfield sits at or near the top. That type of production makes him a high-end first-round pick.

i

Lamar Jackson, Louisville
Overall grade: 89.4

Jackson had the highest rushing grade among quarterbacks in each of the past two seasons. He's capable of making "NFL throws," but has to improve his throw-for-throw accuracy.

i

Mason Rudolph, Oklahoma State
Overall grade: 89.1

With three excellent years of production under his belt, Rudolph might be flying under the radar in this class. He's an excellent downfield thrower who needs to improve his short-area accuracy.

i

Kyle Lauletta, Richmond

Overall grade: 87.9

Lauletta has an outstanding feel in the middle of the field and at the intermediate level, where he posted the top PFF grade in the 2018 class. He has to improve his deep ball, which ranked 34th of 35 qualifiers in this draft.

i

Sam Darnold, USC
Overall grade: 86.0

It was more a three-game slump for Darnold in 2017 than a massive step back from an impressive redshirt freshman season in 2016. He ranked second in the class in big-time throw percentage, but also had the sixth-highest percentage of turnover-worthy plays as well.

i

Josh Rosen, UCLA
Overall grade: 85.3

Rosen never really dominated at UCLA, but he put together three solid years in the 84.0 to 86.0 range. He had the fourth-best grade in the class on intermediate throws, but needs to cut down on the poor decisions as he ranked 25th at avoiding turnover-worthy plays.

Running backs

i

Ronald Jones II, USC
Overall grade: 95.1

Jones was the best pure runner in the nation last season, leading the way with a 95.5 rushing grade. He has the vision, speed and short-area quickness to succeed in the NFL. He excels at maximizing the yardage given by his offensive line, ranking seventh in the nation with 914 yards after contact in 2017. Jones has yet to demonstrate that he can be a major factor in the passing game, catching only 32 passes in his career to go with four drops and only three missed tackles forced on those receptions. That might hurt his value at the next level, but Jones could be the best runner of the class and comes equipped with home run ability.

i

Kerryon Johnson, Auburn
Overall grade: 89.6

Johnson had a breakout season in 2017, breaking an impressive 50 tackles on only 285 carries. He was a workhorse for Auburn down the stretch, playing and battling through injury.

i

Rashaad Penny, San Diego State
Overall grade: 88.4

One of the most underrated running backs in the class, Penny posted the second-highest elusive rating at 128.6, breaking an incredible 86 tackles on only 290 carries last season.

i

Nick Chubb, Georgia
Overall grade: 88.2

Chubb had four excellent years of production at Georgia, averaging 3.7 yards after contact in his career. He's an offensive-line maximizer, always taking what is there and more from his blocking.

i

Saquon Barkley, Penn State

Barkley is the premier weapon in the draft among running backs thanks to his receiving ability. He can create mismatches all over the field, though he has to improve his vision as a runner, as he does not always take what is given by his blocking.

Wide receivers

i

Michael Gallup, Colorado State
Overall grade: 92.0

No receiver has been more efficient than Gallup over the past two years, finishing 10th in the nation with an overall grade of 88.4 in 2016 before leading the way at 92.0 in 2017. His nuanced game allows him to separate at all levels of the field while creating space after the catch, where he has forced 38 missed tackles on his 179 catches in his career. Like many of the other receivers in this class, Gallup doesn't project as a classic No. 1 receiver, and if there's a complaint about his game, it's his inability to run away from defenders down the field. Still, his overall game lends itself to becoming a productive No. 2 receiver, and he's one of the best options in a class that is wide-open due to the lack of a true top talent.

i

Trey Quinn, SMU
Overall grade: 91.6

Quinn projects as more of a slot receiver who has a good feel for the game and can create separation when given a "two-way go." He led all FBS wide receivers with 4.66 yards per route from the slot last season.

i

Cedrick Wilson, Boise State
Overall grade: 89.2

Wilson is a nifty route runner who can win outside or in the slot. His 3.40 yards per route last year ranked seventh in the class.

i

James Washington, Oklahoma State
Overall grade: 88.7

The national leader with 815 yards on deep passes last season, Washington maintains his speed in and out of his breaks and has a second gear that allows him to win down the field.

i

Marcell Ateman, Oklahoma State

Ateman uses his big, 6-foot-4 frame well, winning on slants and back-shoulder throws. He projects as a possession and red zone threat at the next level after ranking fourth in the class with 3.50 yards per route last season.

Tight ends
i

Dallas Goedert, South Dakota State
Overall grade: 96.8

Perhaps the best offensive mismatch weapon in the draft, Goedert dominated FCS, finishing 2017 with an impressive overall grade. Despite weighing 255 pounds, Goedert looks like a wide receiver with the ball in his hands and led all tight ends with 12 missed tackles forced while averaging 8.2 yards after the catch. He also knows how to use his long frame to make spectacular catches in one-on-one situations and in the red zone.

i

Mark Andrews, Oklahoma

Andrews was more of a slot receiver at Oklahoma. He ranked second among tight ends with 2.63 yards per route, and led the way with 298 yards on deep passes.

i

Jordan Akins, UCF
Overall grade: 86.0

Akins has the speed to stretch the seam and improved his game every year at UCF. He averaged an impressive 6.4 yards after the catch and ranked fifth in the class with 1.93 yards per route in 2017.

i

Cam Serigne, Wake Forest

Overall grade: 85.1

A late-round option, Serigne runs the underneath routes well, and caught an impressive 77.2 percent of his targets last season while dropping only one of the 45 catchable passes thrown his way.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
i

Deon Yelder, Western Kentucky

Overall grade: 84.9

Yelder has only one year of strong production, but ranked second in the class with five deep receptions for 177 yards. He has to catch the ball more consistently after dropping six passes on only 59 catchable targets last season.

Offensive linemen
i

Quenton Nelson, Notre Dame
Overall grade: 94.6

It's difficult to find any draft analyst who is not enamored with Nelson's game, and his all-around ability was evident in his high grade last season. He executes highlight-reel blocks in the running game, creating gaping holes at the point of attack, and is equally adept at locating defenders when asked to block on the move. Nelson improved in pass protection every year at Notre Dame, culminating in a 2017 season that saw him allow only five pressures on 430 pass-blocking attempts. Nelson is one of the best guard prospects in many years.

i

Frank Ragnow, Arkansas
Overall grade: 94.1

The nation's top-graded center in each of the past two seasons, Ragnow is an outstanding run-blocker who allowed only 15 pressures over the past two years.

i

Will Hernandez, UTEP
Overall grade: 90.3

Hernandez posted the top overall grade among guards in 2016 and the second-highest mark in 2017. He has allowed only four pressures over the past two seasons.

i

Mike McGlinchey, Notre Dame
Overall grade: 90.1

The nation's top run-blocking offensive tackle in 2017, McGlinchey has continued to improve in pass protection from year to year and has all of the tools to be the first tackle off the board.

i

Will Richardson, NC State
Overall grade: 89.5

An underrated offensive tackle in this class, Richardson allowed only five pressures last season to go with a strong run-blocking grade of 82.5.

i

Isaiah Wynn, Georgia
Overall grade: 89.0

A left tackle at Georgia, Wynn will likely move inside to guard at the next level. He allowed only five pressures in 2017 while ranking third in the nation with a run-blocking grade of 91.0.

i

Orlando Brown, Oklahoma

A poor combine workout could see Brown drop in the draft, but he is a mauling run-blocker who graded at 90.4 last season, good for fourth in the nation.

Edge defenders

i

Justin Lawler, SMU
Overall grade: 91.0

When it comes to pure production, Lawler stood out above the rest in 2017. He doesn't have the desired measurables on the edge, which will likely push him down draft boards, but he deserves a chance in the NFL. Lawler posted the fourth-best grade in the nation as a pass-rusher on the strength of nine sacks, 10 quarterback hits and 36 hurries on only 356 rushes. He was just as efficient in the running game, blowing up blockers to the tune of the third-best grade among edge defenders. Lawler is a classic case of production versus athleticism, and it would not be a surprise to see him emerge as a valuable asset on a defensive line rotation if given the opportunity.

i

Joe Ostman, Central Michigan
Overall grade: 90.4

Another underrated rusher, Ostman notched 14 sacks, nine quarterback hits and 31 hurries on only 354 rushes last season.

i

Marcus Davenport, UTSA
Overall grade: 89.9

Davenport is a monster on the edge and his potential should see him drafted on Day 1. He ranked fourth in the class with a pass-rush productivity of 16.4 last season.

i

Bradley Chubb, NC State
Overall grade: 89.7

Chubb is getting hype as a top-five selection, but he's more of a good all-around player than an elite pass-rusher at this stage. He had the sixth-highest grade against the run and 11th-highest as a pass-rusher.

i

Ja'Von Rolland-Jones, Arkansas State

An undersized edge defender, Rolland-Jones had an extremely productive career, finishing with 55 sacks, 30 quarterback hits and 117 hurries on 1,301 rushes. He'll likely get a look in the later rounds.

i

Shaquem Griffin, UCF

While Griffin will be treated more as a traditional linebacker in the NFL, his best attribute is his ability to get after the passer. He had the seventh-best pass-rush grade on the edge last season, and 19 sacks, 13 quarterback hits and 51 hurries on only 476 rushes over the past two years.

Interior defensive linemen

i

Maurice Hurst, Michigan
Overall grade: 96.5

After two years of excellent play as part of Michigan's defensive line rotation, 2017 saw Hurst post the top grade we've seen from an interior defensive lineman in four years of grading (96.5). He's a classic, undersized disruptor who finished with the top pass-rushing grade and the second-best mark against the run last season. His first step, low pad level and quick hands make for a brutal combination for opposing offensive linemen to handle. Hurst looks like the next great interior disruptor in the mold of Aaron Donald, Mike Daniels and Grady Jarrett.

i

Vita Vea, Washington
Overall grade: 93.3

A massive, 340-pound nose tackle, Vea is one of the best disruptors in the running game and can get after the quarterback, pushing the pocket to the tune of an 87.6 pass-rush grade in 2017, the fourth-best mark in the nation.

i

Will Geary, Kansas State
Overall grade: 91.2

Geary is not a great athlete, but he's difficult to block and can fight through traffic as well as anyone in the class. He's disruptive in the running game and worth a look in the late rounds.

i

Harrison Phillips, Stanford
Overall grade: 90.6

Phillips is an excellent run defender, where his 90.9 grade ranked fourth in the nation. He also led the draft class with a run-stop percentage of 13.4.

Linebackers
i

Roquan Smith, Georgia
Overall grade: 90.6

Few linebackers possess Smith's all-around game. He ranked seventh in the class with a run-stopping grade of 87.8 while finishing second with an 88.5 coverage grade. He flies around the field making plays in all phases, and it's his coverage ability that makes him a perfect fit as a modern three-down linebacker. Smith has good range in zones, closing quickly and limiting big plays as he allowed only 5.7 yards after the catch on passes into his coverage over his career, a number that would have ranked second in the nation in 2017 alone. Smith should be the first linebacker off the board on Day 1.

i

Leighton Vander Esch, Boise State
Overall grade: 90.5

Vander Esch has the size and athleticism to make plays all over the field. He led the class with a run-stop percentage of 15.9 last year while grading at 85.1 in coverage.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
i

Josey Jewell, Iowa

Jewell has three-down potential at the next level after posting three straight years of grading at over 85.0 overall. He has 15 pass breakups and six interceptions in his career and was not charged with a touchdown into his coverage.

i

Dorian O'Daniel, Clemson
Overall grade: 87.6

O'Daniel showed great movement skills at the combine and is coming off an excellent all-around 2017 season that saw him grade at 85.7 against the run and 83.8 in coverage.

Cornerbacks

i

Josh Jackson, Iowa
Overall grade: 96.8

Jackson had only 297 snaps to his name coming into the 2017 season, but he dominated from start to finish, leading all cornerbacks in interceptions with eight and pass breakups with 17. He allowed a passer rating of only 31.3 on passes thrown into his coverage, the fifth-best mark in the nation among corners with at least 30 targets. Jackson has the size and ball skills to fit in any type of scheme, and while a 4.56 40-yard dash time is slower than most first-round hopefuls, Jackson's sound technique allows him to hang with receivers down the field.

i

Denzel Ward, Ohio State
Overall grade: 91.1

Ward's combination of straight-line speed and quickness is as good as it gets. He has the recovery speed to play the ball down the field and the lateral agility to cover the slot. Ward allowed a completion percentage of only 35.0 into his coverage over his career.

i

Darious Williams, UAB
Overall grade: 90.9

An overachiever who broke out in 2017, Williams allowed a passer rating of only 38.9 and a completion percentage of 31.9 into his coverage, both top-10 marks among cornerbacks in the nation.

i

D.J. Reed, Kansas State
Overall grade: 89.5

Reed is an undersized corner with two excellent years of production. He didn't allow a reception longer than 30 yards into his coverage last season.

i

Nick Nelson, Wisconsin

Overall grade: 88.8

Nelson broke out in 2017, allowing only 37.7 percent of passes to be completed into his coverage. His 16 pass breakups ranked second in the nation.

Safeties

i

Derwin James, Florida State
Overall grade: 92.2

The prototypical defensive player for today's NFL, James has the tools to become a chess piece in a versatile defensive scheme. He posted the top grade among safeties in his two healthy seasons: 91.2 as a true freshman in 2015 and 92.2 as a junior last season. James is a hammer against the run when playing close to the line of scrimmage, and has the physicality to hang with tight ends in man coverage and the quickness to hold his own against slot receivers. The trump card might be his ability to rush the passer, where he often lined up and beat offensive tackles one-on-one, finishing his college career with seven sacks, six quarterback hits and 25 hurries on only 111 rushes. James should be the first safety off the board, but it will take a creative defensive coordinator to maximize one of the draft's most unique skill sets.

i

Tarvarius Moore, Southern Mississippi
Overall grade: 87.2

Moore's athleticism allows him to break quickly on the ball and match up with receivers in one-on-one situations. He broke up nine passes and intercepted five more on only 53 career targets.

i

Natrell Jamerson, Wisconsin
Overall grade: 86.6

One of the better free safeties in the draft, Jamerson has an excellent feel for playing deep zones and tied for 14th in the country with six pass breakups last season.

i

Ronnie Harrison, Alabama
Overall grade: 85.9

Harrison does his best work closer to the line of scrimmage, where his run-stop percentage of 6.7 when lined up in the box ranked 10th in the class. He has an excellent feel for playing zone coverage and could fit into multiple schemes.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Strengths and weaknesses of the NFL draft's top QBs

I've believed that Sam Darnold is the best quarterback in the 2018 NFL draft throughout the process leading into April. He has been the first overall pick in all three of my mock drafts, and I think if you polled league personnel, Darnold would get the most votes. Majority doesn't matter much when it comes to the Cleveland Browns' choice at No. 1, though -- general manager John Dorsey and his personnel staff own all the votes.

But like the other top quarterbacks, Darnold also has shortcomings, which is what makes this year the most fascinating in terms of evaluating QBs since I've been at ESPN.

Here are the strengths and weaknesses of the top five QBs -- Darnold, Josh Allen, Josh Rosen, Baker Mayfield and Lamar Jackson -- as well as what I'm hearing from NFL personnel about potential landing spots.

i

1. Sam Darnold, USC
Scouts Inc. overall ranking: 3

Strengths: Darnold needs some polishing, but there isn't much on the football field that he is incapable of doing. He's an escape artist in the pocket and thrives in clutch moments. As far as his pro day goes -- and I don't put much stock in these throwing sessions -- Darnold displayed the anticipation, timing and natural accuracy that you see in most top-level NFL quarterbacks.

A linebacker and three-sport high school athlete in his early years, Darnold is the type of competitor I like at QB.

Weaknesses: I'm not as concerned with the abundance of turnovers, as plenty of elite QB prospects (Andrew Luck, Matt Ryan, etc.) turned the ball over too much coming out of college. Darnold will need to do a better job of getting two hands on the ball while maneuvering in the pocket, but that can be learned in drills. I also now believe that many of his interceptions can be chalked up to overcompensating for lack of a supporting cast. Darnold is a great leader, but I've heard that you do need to spend some time with him for it to show -- it's hard to demonstrate in a 15-minute interview. He's a quick learner but doesn't have as much experience as the other guys, having only played the QB position for four total years (five if you count his redshirt year at USC).

i

2. Josh Allen, Wyoming
Scouts Inc. overall ranking: 8

Strengths: Allen has helped himself during the pre-draft process more than any other quarterback in this class. Everyone in the league I've talked to has had positive things to say about their time spent with Allen during interviews and private meetings. In fact, I've been told multiple times that Allen has exceeded expectations in those settings, and specifically that he appears to have the mental makeup to handle a tough media market like New York, which is saying something for a kid who grew up on a cantaloupe farm, spent two years at Reedley College in California and was a two-year starter at Wyoming.

2018 NFL DRAFT
When: April 26-28
Where: Arlington, Texas
NFL draft coverage » | Full order: 1-256 »
Mel Kiper's Mock Draft 3.0 »
Todd McShay's Mock Draft 3.0 »
Dueling two-round mock drafts »
Kiper's Big Board » | McShay's Top 32 »
Teams with most, least draft capital »
Projecting QB booms, busts »
Kiper: Re-grading 2017 NFL draft »

He has a prototypical QB frame (6-foot-5, 237 pounds) and arm talent that just doesn't come around often. He's also mobile for his size. I believe he has a better natural combination of arm strength and mobility than Ben Roethlisberger had coming out of Miami (Ohio). Allen simply isn't as consistently accurate.

Weaknesses: There are plenty of reasons why Allen's career completion percentage (56.1 percent) at Wyoming was so low, including lack of easy throws, the talent around him and some drops. But there's no denying that inconsistent footwork causes to Allen miss too many throws. If he can clean up his base and develop better habits with his stride, Allen could emerge as an elite NFL starter. The good news is that Allen has shown improvement while working with quarterbacks coach Jordan Palmer during the pre-draft process. But will bad habits return on the NFL stage?

If you poll 10 guys in the league, five might say Allen will be a star and the other five a bust. We'll find out soon which side of the argument Dorsey falls on. From my understanding, the Browns are still in the process of deciding, but I continue to hear that it's a two-horse race between Darnold and Allen.

i

3. Josh Rosen, UCLA
Scouts Inc. overall ranking: 9

Strengths: Another guy who looks the part, Rosen is a prototypical pocket passer. He looks natural in the pocket and can make all the throws. He also comes from a pro-style system at UCLA. He was reportedly impressive during his chalkboard sessions at the combine and processes information quickly.

Weaknesses: No one is pounding the table to take Rosen, in part because he's a complex case study. There isn't much you can point to on the field, other than some poor decision-making and his lack of mobility outside the pocket. Teams are doing their research to find out just how driven Rosen is and how he would fit in with their team culture.

i

4. Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma
Scouts Inc. overall ranking: 13

Strengths: Mayfield is the most experienced of the top QBs in this class, and the most accurate on tape. He has won at the highest level and his passion for the game is undeniable. I've never seen teammates rally around a QB like Mayfield's teammates did at Oklahoma. Players feed off his energy and he has a classic "us against the world" mentality. Scouts who love Mayfield really love him.

Weaknesses: For Mayfield, it really comes down to the measurements and his offensive system. He doesn't have ideal measurements for a QB at 6-foot, 215 pounds, and no QB outside of Jared Goff has had success at the NFL level coming from a spread offense like Mayfield played in at Oklahoma. Scouts who are down on Mayfield will see his on-field incidents as passion that crosses a line instead of a desire to win and rally his teammates.

i

5. Lamar Jackson, Louisville

Scouts Inc. overall ranking: 38

Strengths: Jackson is the toughest QB in this group to evaluate. He's an instinctive player and does a great job identifying pressure and avoiding it. He was 23-11 as a starter at Louisville, and no player elevated the level of his team's play more than he did. He's highly competitive and was the best college football player with the ball in his hands the past two seasons. His elite athleticism and playmaking ability with the ball in his hands as a runner is by far the best in this class among QBs.

Weaknesses: He has a narrow base at QB and tends to stand on his toes more than he should when delivering the ball. He also needs to be more consistent with his footwork and release, as he tends to miss high when he misses. Jackson doesn't have the raw arm strength of some of the other top QBs and wasn't consistently accurate from the pocket enough in college. Simply put, to succeed as a QB in the NFL, he needs more work than the other top guys.

What QB-needy teams are thinking
With less than a month until the 2018 NFL draft, here's what I'm hearing about some of the top teams that need QBs right now:

i

Cleveland Browns
First-round picks: Nos. 1 and 4

Nearly everyone I've talked to seems to believe Cleveland is locked in on Darnold, but I'm told Cleveland hasn't decided who to draft at No. 1. I believe it's between Darnold and Allen.

i

New York Giants
First-round pick: No. 2

I've heard the Giants are also enamored of Darnold and would strongly consider taking him if Cleveland passed at No. 1. The Giants will entertain trade offers at No. 2 to move down if Darnold isn't their pick, and I've heard the Bills are aggressively trying to jump ahead of the Jets at No. 3.

i

New York Jets
First-round pick: No. 3 (from Colts)

The Jets are assuming that Darnold is off the board by the third pick. I've heard they like Allen, Rosen and Mayfield, which makes sense considering they traded up to a spot where two of the top QBs could easily be off the board.

i

Denver Broncos
First-round pick: No. 5

There's a buzz that Denver would strongly consider taking Mayfield if he's there when the Broncos pick. I don't believe general manager John Elway is interested in trading up to get a QB.

i

Miami Dolphins
First-round pick: No. 11

I keep hearing the Dolphins are targeting Mayfield, but this is called "NFL lying season" for a reason. From what I understand, if a QB they like fell past No. 5, the Dolphins could try to get involved, but I'm not sure that they'll be willing to give up a ton of picks to do so. If we're at pick No. 11 on draft day and one of the top four QBs is still on the board, I'd be very surprised.

i

Arizona Cardinals
First-round pick: No. 15

I think Arizona would like to move up into the top handful of picks to grab a QB, but the Cardinals don't have the ammunition that Buffalo does to make a deal. It appears Allen would be the guy they're willing to move up for.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos

i

Cleveland Browns
Round 1 (1): Sam Darnold, QB, USC
Round 1 (4): Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State
Round 2 (33): Donte Jackson, CB, LSU
Round 2 (35): Justin Reid, S, Stanford
Round 2 (64): Brian O'Neill, OT, Pittsburgh

Tyrod Taylor. Some might think a running back at No. 4 is rich, but Barkley is the best player in the draft and gives Cleveland a dynamic set of backfield weapons with Duke Johnson and Carlos Hyde. Jackson ran a blazing 4.32 40 at the combine and would help on the outside, along with the versatile safety Reid. O'Neill helps solidify an offensive line that still needs help after Joe Thomas retired.

i

New York Giants
Round 1 (2): Bradley Chubb, DE, NC State
Round 2 (34): Sony Michel, RB, Georgia
Round 3 (66): Martinas Rankin, OT, Mississippi State
Round 3 (69): Uchenna Nwosu, LB, USC
Eli Manning and thinks the team can compete now, then New York goes best player available instead of taking a QB here. It would be tough to pass on Barkley, but with Jason Pierre-Paul gone, pass rush is a big need. Chubb is a complete player and can start immediately. Michel would fit the glaring need at running back and could contribute in the passing game. Rankin needs more experience, but would upgrade the talent level on the offensive line. Nwosu would double down on pass-rushing help and could start as a situational rusher off the edge.

i

New York Jets
Round 1 (3): Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA
Round 3 (72): Rashaad Penny, RB, San Diego State
Josh McCown and Teddy Bridgewater on the roster. Isaiah Crowell is a nice addition to the backfield, but Penny provides depth and is a big back with deceptive speed. Bilal Powell is a free agent after the season.

i

Denver Broncos
Round 1 (5): Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State
Round 2 (40): D.J. Chark, WR, LSU
Round 3 (71): Austin Corbett, OG, Nevada
Round 3 (99): Dorance Armstrong Jr., DE, Kansas

Baker Mayfield could certainly be in play at No. 5 if he's there, but Denver won a Super Bowl when it had the best defense in the NFL -- led by its secondary. Plus, the Broncos just signed Case Keenum in free agency and have Paxton Lynch on the roster. With Aqib Talib shipped out to Los Angeles, the Broncos could use another CB and Ward is the best cover man in this class. Chark can take the top off a defense (4.34 40 at combine) and has had a great postseason process. Corbett would provide good depth for an offensive line that needs help. Armstrong provides another young pass-rusher.

i

Indianapolis Colts
Round 1 (6): Quenton Nelson, OG, Notre Dame
Round 2 (36): Derrius Guice, RB, LSU
Round 2 (37): Harold Landry, OLB, Boston College
Round 2 (49): Anthony Miller, WR, Memphis
Round 3 (67): Tim Settle, DT, Virginia Tech

Andrew Luck upright and Nelson is the perfect player to do that. He's rock solid as a prospect (No. 2 in our rankings). Guice is an explosive back with Pro Bowl potential down the line. Landry led the nation in sacks in 2016 (16.5) before injuries slowed him this season. Indianapolis' wide receiver depth is poor, so Miller would be a much-needed upgrade. Settle is a wide-bodied run-plugger in the mold of Dontari Poe, with a high ceiling. The Colts roster would be much improved from this draft.

i

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Round 1 (7): Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB, Alabama
Round 2 (38): Ronald Jones II, RB, USC
Vernon Hargreaves III, but either way the secondary needs help. Fitzpatrick does a little bit of everything and is extremely talented -- he will find his way onto the field. Jones is a home-run threat out of the backfield and would give Jameis Winstonanother weapon in the passing game.

i

Chicago Bears
Round 1 (8): Roquan Smith, ILB, Georgia
Round 2 (39): Billy Price, C/G, Ohio State
San Francisco 49ers[/paste:font]
Round 1 (9): Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama
Round 2 (59): Jessie Bates III, S, Wake Forest
Round 3 (70): Josh Sweat, DE, FSU
Round 3 (74): Anthony Averett, CB, Alabama
Jimmy Garoppolo now set at QB after riding a five-game winning streak to end the season. This is a little high for Ridley, who isn't a true NFL No. 1 wideout, but he's the clear top wide receiver in this class and a smooth route runner. He gives Garoppolo another young receiver to grow with. Bates had a terrific combine and could help replace Eric Reid on the back end. Sweat has a ton of talent but is raw. He'll help add depth to a strong defensive line. Averett is an underrated cover corner.

i

Oakland Raiders
Round 1 (10): Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia Tech
Round 2 (41): Isaiah Oliver, CB, Colorado
Round 3 (75): Orlando Brown, OT, Oklahoma

The Raiders would love Roquan Smith as well, but he's off the board here. Edmunds is a physical freak (4.54 40 at 6-4, 253 pounds), who can play sideline to sideline at linebacker and gives Oakland more speed on defense. Oliver is a little overvalued because of measurables, but would help the Raiders' thin secondary. Brown had a horrific combine but has a lot of natural talent. He could be brought along slowly, thanks to Oakland's terrific offensive line.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
i

Miami Dolphins
Round 1 (11): Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming
Round 2 (42): Harrison Phillips, DT, Stanford
Round 3 (73): Braden Smith, OG, Auburn

Ryan Tannehill to stay on the field. Phillips is a good run defender and would add depth to the defensive line. Even with the Josh Sitton signing, the Dolphins could use help at guard. Smith played 52 games at Auburn and has an elite combination of size (6-6, 315), speed (5.20 40-yard dash) and power (35 reps on bench press, tied for second-best among O-linemen at combine).

i

Buffalo Bills
Round 1 (12): Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma
Round 1 (22): Rashaan Evans, ILB, Alabama
Round 2 (53): Carlton Davis, CB, Auburn
Round 2 (56): Jordan Lasley, WR, UCLA
Round 3 (65): Nathan Shepherd, DT, Fort Hays State
Round 3 (96): Jamarco Jones, OT, Ohio State
AJ McCarron. Evans is a solid linebacker with good pass-rush skills. Davis would provide insurance if the Vontae Davis signing doesn't work. Lasley has first-round abilities at wideout, but has fallen because of off-field issues. Shepherd is a good small-school player and could help fill the hole left by trading Marcell Dareus. Jones provides help on an O-line that lost Cordy Glenn in a trade.

i

Washington Redskins
Round 1 (13): Vita Vea, DT, Washington
Round 2 (44): Christian Kirk, WR, Texas A&M

Jonathan Allen, on the defensive line. Kirk is dynamic with the ball in his hands and provides another weapon for new QB Alex Smith. Washington's third-round pick was part of the deal with Kansas City to acquire Smith this offseason.

i

Green Bay Packers
Round 1 (14): Derwin James, S, Florida State
Round 2 (45): Tyrell Crosby, OT, Oregon
Round 3 (76): Isaac Yiadom, CB, Boston College

Ha Ha Clinton-Dix would make for an exciting back end. Crosby is a solid swing tackle who provides depth for an offensive line tasked with keeping Aaron Rodgers healthy. Yiadom was a standout at the Senior Bowl and provides Green Bay with another tall corner.

i

Arizona Cardinals
Round 1 (15): Jaire Alexander, CB, Louisville
Round 2 (47): Courtland Sutton, WR, SMU
Round 3 (79): Mason Rudolph, QB, Oklahoma State
Round 3 (97): Frank Ragnow, C, Arkansas

Larry Fitzgerald. Rudolph is a good developmental QB in the third and has a chance to develop into a starter down the line. Ragnow plays with an edge and is a good run-blocker.

i

Baltimore Ravens
Round 1 (16): Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota State
Round 2 (52): Antonio Callaway, WR, Florida
Round 3 (83): Tyquan Lewis, DE, Ohio State

Los Angeles Chargers[/paste:font]
Round 1 (17): Da'Ron Payne, DT, Alabama
Round 2 (48): Kolton Miller, OT, UCLA
Round 3 (84): Terrell Edmunds, S, Virginia Tech
Corey Liuget is suspended for first four games) and make an impact. An excellent run-stuffer, he has the ability to pressure QBs as well. Miller could be a replacement on the right side for Joe Barksdale. Edmunds has an elite size-speed combination (like his brother Tremaine) and ran a 4.47 40 with a 41-inch vertical at the combine. He's still raw, but should have time to learn.

i

Seattle Seahawks
Round 1 (18): Marcus Davenport, DE, Texas San Antonio

Sheldon Richardson and Duane Brown), so the cupboard is a little bare in terms of draft capital. With Michael Bennett and Richardson now gone, pass rush is suddenly a glaring need. Davenport is raw, but has elite traits (4.58 40 at combine at 6-6, 264) and a great motor. He'll need some time to develop, but has a high ceiling.

i

Dallas Cowboys
Round 1 (19): Taven Bryan, DT, Florida
Round 2 (50): Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn State
Round 3 (81): DaeSean Hamilton, WR, Penn State

Jason Witten will be 36 this season and the Cowboys haven't found his replacement in the draft. Gesicki isn't nearly the run-blocker Witten is, but Gesicki is a big target with outstanding ball skills. Hamilton impressed at the Senior Bowl and is Penn State's all-time leader in receptions (214). He's an above-average route runner and gives Dak Prescott another playmaker on the outside.

i

Detroit Lions
Round 1 (20): Will Hernandez, OG, UTEP
Round 2 (51): Nick Chubb, RB, Georgia
Round 3 (82): Jalyn Holmes, DE, Ohio State

Hernandez has short arms (32 inches) for a guard, but is a powerful run-blocker and is improving in pass protection. He'd be a likely starter. Chubb had an exceptional combine, and if his medical checks out he could be a steal in the middle of the second round. Holmes has the tools to develop into a starting left defensive end and has upside.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
i

Cincinnati Bengals
Round 1 (21): James Daniels, C/G, Iowa
Round 2 (46): Leighton Vander Esch, LB, Boise State
Round 3 (77): Derrick Nnadi, DT, Florida State
Round 3 (100): Cedrick Wilson, WR, Boise State

A.J. Green.

i

New England Patriots
Round 1 (23): Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame
Round 1 (31): Josh Jackson, CB, Iowa
Round 2 (43): Darius Leonard, LB, South Carolina State
Round 2 (63): Rasheem Green, DE, USC
Round 3 (95): Kyle Lauletta, QB, Richmond
Nate Solder. Jackson is a long, ball-hawking corner who led the nation with eight INTs last season. He'd be another matchup piece for Bill Belichick. Leonard is an undersized linebacker who could help in coverage, while Green is scheme versatile and can help with the pass rush.

New England still needs a successor to Tom Brady after trading Garoppolo, and the Patriots will probably look to take one in the early or middle rounds. Lauletta was impressive at the Senior Bowl and would have time to sit and learn behind one of the best ever.

i

Carolina Panthers
Round 1 (24): D.J. Moore, WR, Maryland
Round 2 (55): Geron Christian, OT, Louisville
Round 3 (85): M.J. Stewart, CB, North Carolina
Round 3 (88): Kameron Kelly, S, San Diego State

Torrey Smith but they still need help at wide receiver. Moore is another speed merchant and outside weapon for Cam Newton. Christian is an athletic run-blocker with the potential to be a left tackle down the road. Stewart is a smaller corner (5-11, 200) who has good short-area quickness and will compete for playing time immediately. Kelly can help fill the void left by Kurt Coleman's departure.

i

Tennessee Titans
Round 1 (25): Connor Williams, OG/OT, Texas
Round 2 (57): Sam Hubbard, DE, Ohio State
Round 3 (89): Deon Cain, WR, Clemson

Jack Conklin's ACL tear. Hubbard is a high-motor defense end who could help Tennessee's pass rush. Cain has made strides as a route runner and tested well at the combine. He could become an effective No. 2 wideout in time.

i

Atlanta Falcons
Round 1 (26): Maurice Hurst, DT, Michigan
Round 2 (58): James Washington, WR, Oklahoma State
Round 3 (90): Malik Jefferson, LB, Texas

Dontari Poe's departure. Washington is a seasoned player who could contribute outside and in the slot. Jefferson is a better athlete than football player, but has outstanding traits and would add more speed to a fast defense.

i

New Orleans Saints
Round 1 (27): Hayden Hurst, TE, South Carolina
Round 3 (91): Parry Nickerson, CB, Tulane
Drew Brees another playmaker in a diverse New Orleans offense. Marshon Lattimore has one CB spot locked down, but the Saints could use help on the other side. Nickerson would provide more depth for a defense hurt by injuries last season.

i

Pittsburgh Steelers
Round 1 (28): Mike Hughes, CB, UCF
Round 2 (60): Jerome Baker, LB, Ohio State
Round 3 (92): Dante Pettis, WR, Washington
Ryan Shazier. Pettis provides another WR who can stretch the field.

i

Jacksonville Jaguars
Round 1 (29): Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville
Round 2 (61): B.J. Hill, DT, NC State
Round 3 (93): Duke Dawson, CB, Florida

Blake Bortles doesn't continue to progress. Jackson is special with the ball in his hands and would be another playmaker. Hill is a two-down run-stuffer and Dawson could help in the slot to replace Aaron Colvin.

i

Minnesota Vikings
Round 1 (30): Isaiah Wynn, OG, Georgia
Round 2 (62): Ian Thomas, TE, Indiana
Round 3 (94): Avonte Maddox, CB, Pittsburgh
Joe Berger's retirement, Minnesota has a need at guard (or tackle if Mike Remmers plays inside). Wynn is a college left tackle who will likely shift inside. He's a complete player and would be a nice addition. Thomas is a good blocker and average pass-catcher who would provide depth behind Kyle Rudolph. Maddox is a small (5-9, 184), twitchy cover corner.

i

Philadelphia Eagles
Round 1 (32): Ronnie Harrison, S, Alabama

Kansas City Chiefs[/paste:font]
Round 2 (54): Lorenzo Carter, OLB, Georgia
Round 3 (78): Holton Hill, CB, Texas
Round 3 (86): Mason Cole, C, Michigan

The Chiefs remade their roster this offseason but need some help on defense. Carter needs to add bulk, but can contribute immediately as a sub-package rusher. Hill has outstanding size (6-3, 200) and top-end speed, plus the ability to track the ball vertically. He has dropped because of off-field issues. Cole is a serviceable center who needs to add strength.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
i

Houston Texans
Round 3 (68): Arden Key, DE, LSU
Round 3 (80): Desmond Harrison, OT, West Georgia
Round 3 (98): Kyzir White, S, West Virginia
Deshaun Watson, but assuming he comes back healthy, they have to be happy with that decision. Key is a talented pass-rusher but has fallen due to off-field issues. Harrison is a small-school prospect who will bolster the line. White is a good in-the-box safety.

i

Los Angeles Rams
Round 3 (87): Josey Jewell, ILB, Iowa

The Rams have been extremely aggressive in trading draft picks for veterans, so they only have one pick in the first three rounds. Jewell has some physical limitations but is an instinctive run defender. He can help make up for the loss of Alec Ogletree.

Cleveland Sam Darnold QB USC
2 NY Giants Bradley Chubb DE NC State
3 NY Jets
(from IND) Josh Rosen QB UCLA
4 Cleveland
(from HOU) Saquon Barkley RB Penn State
5 Denver Denzel Ward CB Ohio State
6 Indianapolis
(from NYJ) Quenton Nelson OG Notre Dame
7 Tampa Bay Minkah Fitzpatrick DB Alabama
8 Chicago Roquan Smith LB Georgia
9 San Francisco Calvin Ridley WR Alabama