Essential The Official ESPN Insider Thread (ESPN+)

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
NBA trade deadline guide: What deals can each team make?

The clock is ticking to the Feb. 8 NBA trade deadline.

While not every team will make a deal in the next four weeks, each franchise has questions it will need to address not only now but for the future.

How will the Rockets' management weight the recent slide but also factor in injuries to key players? Do the Thunder keep an eye on the summer of 2018 and look to shed salaries to reduce a possible $100 million luxury tax bill? Will the Pelicans take a win-now approach, but at the cost of the future?

We break down what to watch for all 30 teams, and what kinds of moves they can make.

Atlanta Hawks
i

What to watch

The expiring contracts: Keep an eye on veterans Ersan Ilyasova and Marco Belinelli. Both players have expiring contracts and relatively low salaries ($6 million and $6.6 million, respectively) and could be a valuable addition coming off the bench for a playoff team.

Restrictions/notes

• Ilaysova and Mike Muscala have one-year bird restrictions and can veto any trade.
  • Isaiah Taylor cannot be traded until Jan. 17.
  • Tyler Cavanaugh cannot be traded during the season.
  • Atlanta only accepts $687K in cash in a deal.

Boston Celtics
i

What to watch

Roster spot 15: The Celtics can be proactive leading up to the deadline or wait until a veteran is bought out of his contract. The $8.4 million disabled player exception that expires on March 12 is a tool for Boston to add a player without giving up a player in return. One name to keep an eye on is the Mavericks' Nerlens Noel. Though the Dallas center is injured, Noel's $4.2 million salary fits into the exception.

Restrictions/notes

• Boston can trade its own second-round picks from 2020 on.

Brooklyn Nets
i

What to watch

The value for Joe Harris: The former second-round pick is having a career season and will be an unrestricted free agent in July. If Brooklyn is looking to optimize Harris' trade value, the window is now. If they hold onto him past Feb. 8, the Nets will either have to sign Harris to a contract that starts in the $5-6 million range or lose him for nothing.

The market for Harris is lukewarm based on his expiring contract. Teams feel that they can sign Harris in the offseason with cap space or one of their exceptions without giving up an asset.

Restrictions/notes

• The Nets still have $3.7 million in cap space available.

Charlotte Hornets
i

What to watch

The Rudy Gay model: Back in 2013, Toronto traded starter Rudy Gay to Sacramento for a package of role players, including Patrick Patterson. The move turned a 7-12 team that had lost its way into a squad that finished the season 48-33.

Even after a successful road trip that saw Charlotte go 3-1 -- including a win over the Warriors -- the Hornets are 15-24 and five games out of the last playoff spot. Could the Hornets turn a starter like Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Marvin Williams or Nicolas Batum into a package of players that turn their season around? If they do, it could have long-term implications, especially with All-Star Kemba Walker set to hit free agency in 2019.

Restrictions/notes

• Charlotte is currently $1.8 million below the luxury tax. Going into the tax would cost the Hornets $2.3 million in tax reimbursement.

Chicago Bulls
i

What to watch

The $15.8 million in cap space: A 12-7 record over the past month should not deter the Bulls from being buyers at the trade deadline. Chicago can take advantage of teams (like Oklahoma City) looking to shed contracts to get under the tax or a team looking to open up a roster spot. Because the Bulls are in the early stages of rebuild, taking back a contract that does not expire at the end of the year should be considered if a draft pick is attached.

Restrictions/notes

• The Bulls are $5.9 million below the salary cap floor.
  • Nikola Mirotic and Cristiano Felicio cannot be traded until Jan. 15. Mirotic has veto power based on the one-year bird restriction.
  • The Bulls are limited to $2.6 million cash that they can acquire in a trade.

Cleveland Cavaliers
i

What to watch

The Brooklyn pick: ESPN's Basketball Power Index projects this pick to land at No. 6.3 on average. The potential of an impact player in a strong June draft should outweigh what Cleveland could obtain on the trade market.

Unless LeBron James is willing to commit long term before the Feb. 8 deadline, Cleveland should put the Brooklyn pick in a vault and lose the combination.

Restrictions/notes

• James has a no trade clause, Kyle Korver cannot be traded until Jan. 15.
  • Cleveland only has $2.1 million cash remaining to send out in a trade.
  • Cleveland does have $5.8, $2.5 and $1.3 million trade exceptions available.
  • The Cavaliers are a repeater tax team and will see their league-leading $43.1 million tax bill increase if they take on additional salary.

Dallas Mavericks
i

What to watch

Cap space and Nerlens Noel: Acquired last February, Noel is on a one-year contract and would need to approve of any trade. However, since he's sidelined with a thumb injury and out of the rotation this season, a fresh start (sound familiar?) could be the best option.

The rebuilding Mavs also have $13.5 million in cap space. The goal for the Mavericks in the next month is to target teams looking to shed contracts but with a draft asset attached.

Restrictions/notes

• Dirk Nowitzki cannot be traded without his permission.
  • The Mavericks cannot take back cash in any transactions.

Denver Nuggets
i

What to watch

Will Barton: Barton is a 26-year-old, 6-foot-6 guard who can start or come off the bench playing at a below-average salary ($3.5 million). He is on the verge of a possible Sixth Man of the Year award and about to enter unrestricted free agency in July.

Even with the Paul Millsap injuries, Denver has stayed afloat in the playoff race (currently fifth in the West). Barton is likely to command a salary in the $8-10 million range (and he's extension-eligible now to sign a four-year, $42 million contract) in the offseason. He should be in a Nuggets uniform post Feb. 8, even if the cost pushes the Nuggets into the luxury tax next season.

Restrictions/notes

Detroit Pistons
i

What to watch

Value of their first-round pick: History has shown that Detroit is not afraid to dangle a first-round pick to upgrade its roster, and the Pistons will be aggressive when it comes to the trade front.

Though an 8-12 record in their past 20 games has now pushed the Pistons from a top-four team in the Eastern Conference to one fighting for the playoffs, Detroit management can still be aggressive shopping a lottery-protected first. However, the Pistons will need to be careful with this approach. With $106 million in salary for 2018 and Avery Bradley hitting free agency, Detroit will have roster restrictions in the offseason. Retaining its first-round pick could be the big free-agent addition along with retaining Bradley.

Restrictions/notes

• Detroit has one roster spot open.
  • Detroit needs to pay attention to the luxury tax. The Pistons are $3.5 million below the line right now.

Golden State Warriors
i

What to watch

Post Feb. 8 trade deadline: Golden State has typically been busy after the trade deadline, picking up James McAdoo (2015), Anderson Varejao (2016) and Matt Barnes (2017) in recent years.

Adding a player would come at the cost of waiving or trading a player and increasing the Warriors' current $32 million tax bill.

Restrictions/notes

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Houston Rockets
i

What to watch

Locker-room chemistry vs. tweaking the roster: Even with a 4-7 record in the past 11 games, Houston will need to weigh on-the-court and locker-room chemistry versus making a change to the roster. The Rockets can compete with the top teams when healthy, but can they get to mid-April in one piece?

The Rockets do have an open roster spot and could add a player post deadline. A move like that should not disrupt Houston heading into the playoffs.

Restrictions/notes

• James Harden cannot be traded for one year (July 7, 2018).
  • The Rockets are only $2.6 million below the luxury tax and $8.8 million below the hard cap.
  • Houston has signed Demetrius Jackson to a 10-day contract and will have a roster spot available once that deal expires.

Indiana Pacers
i

What to watch

The cost of surpassing expectations: No one would fault the Pacers if they were in the bottom of the standings in early January. After all, Indiana traded its franchise centerpiece Paul George and added eight new players, including three new starters.

Now one months before the deadline, Indiana is at a crossroad with its roster. Be aggressive with cap space ($5.8 million remaining) and a potential draft pick to make a strong push for the playoffs or look to move a veteran like Thaddeus Young for a draft asset?

Restrictions/notes

• With one open roster available, the Pacers could utilize their room and be a facilitator to a team looking to cut costs without touching any of their veterans.

LA Clippers
i

What to watch

The expiring contracts: There is a misconception that Clippers management is under pressure to move DeAndre Jordan and Lou Williams before the deadline. While nobody should be deemed untouchable -- especially two players who could be free agents this summer -- why move either if the return in draft picks or players does not present fair value?

Both players also could be in a Clippers uniform next season based on the harsh reality of the free-agent market: Jordan opting into his $24.1 million contract and Williams' new deal mirroring his current $7 million salary (or the possibility of an extension after the deadline). The future of both is also muddied by the Clippers still being in position for a playoff spot, even while riddled with injuries. If Williams is moved, don't expect it to be until right at the deadline.

Restrictions/notes

• Blake Griffin has a Jan. 15 trade restriction.
  • The Clippers have a roster spot open but are only $122K below the luxury tax.
  • Prior trades have limited LA to only $432K in cash to send out in a trade.

Los Angeles Lakers
i

What to watch

Julius Randle: For the Lakers to optimize Randle's trade value, the former lottery pick would need to be traded by the Feb. 8 deadline. The obstacle that Lakers management will face is finding a team willing to trade away a key asset (like a draft pick) for a player they could sign as a restricted free agent in July.

Randle's Bird rights (carrying the ability to exceed the cap) have appeal based on the majority of the teams not having cap space next summer. If the Lakers fail to trade Randle, they run the risk of losing him for nothing in the offseason.

Restrictions/notes

• The Lakers have an open roster spot.

Memphis Grizzlies
i

What to watch

Brandan Wright, Tyreke Evans and James Ennis: Like the 2016 trade deadline when Memphis was in playoff contention and traded the expiring contracts of Jeff Green and Courtney Lee for draft assets, history should repeat itself with all three of these veterans.

They are on expiring contracts and Memphis is headed toward the lottery for the first time since 2009-10. Grizzlies management should be in seller mode during the next six weeks, but only at the right price for Evans.

Memphis is restricted based on not having Bird rights but could use its $8.6 million midlevel exception on Evans this offseason, a salary the guard should see on the open market.

Restrictions/notes

• JaMychal Green cannot be traded until Jan. 15.
  • Memphis is $7.1 million under the tax and also has a $3.4 million trade exception.

Miami Heat
i

What to watch

Hassan Whiteside: When Whiteside signed a four-year, $98 million contract in 2016, the thought was that the center would be a foundational piece for the Heat for at least the length of the deal. Though last season produced a career year on the court, Whiteside's role this season has been inconsistent based on a reoccurring left-knee injury, the Heat going small with Kelly Olynyk at center to close games recently and the continued development of rookie Bam Adebayo. There are some nights when Whiteside was dominant and other games that he seemed lost on the court, especially in crunch time.

While there are no talks for Miami to move Whiteside now, keep an eye on his role the rest of the season (including the playoffs), especially if his minutes at the end of games are sporadic.

Restrictions/notes

• Josh Richardson is not eligible to be traded until after the season.
  • Udonis Haslem is signed to a one-year contract and must approve of any trade.
  • The Heat cannot send out any cash in a trade.
  • Miami also cannot trade any first-round picks until 2023.

Milwaukee Bucks
i

What to watch

Patience with Jabari Parker: The Bucks are expected to add a core piece of their roster before the deadline and will not have to give up a player or draft pick to do so.

On path to a potential All-Star berth last season before being sidelined with a second ACL injury in three years, Parker is expected to return in late January or early February. Like the 2015-16 season when Parker returned from his first ACL tear, Milwaukee will need to monitor his minutes (only played 30 minutes twice in the first 14 games) and show patience. The final three months of the season should be a baseline for how the Bucks handle his restricted free agency.

Restrictions/notes

• Tony Snell cannot be traded until Jan. 15 and recently signed Sean Kilpatrick cannot be traded. Jason Terry has veto power based on signing a one-year contract.
  • The Bucks are $4.3 million below the luxury tax and can only send out $3.2 million in a trade.
  • The trade for Eric Bledsoe has Milwaukee restricted on trading a future first-round pick. Because the protection to Phoenix extends to 2021, Milwaukee would not be allowed to trade a first until 2023 or two years after the pick to the Suns is conveyed.

Minnesota Timberwolves
i

What to watch

Using the OKC pick to keep the starting five fresh: Through the first two months of the season, the Timberwolves' five starters have averaged a minimum of 33 minutes a night, with Andrew Wiggins and Jimmy Butler hovering right around 37. The heavy minutes are an indication of the cap restrictions of building a bench along with Tom Thibodeau's stubbornness to trust the reserves (though Minnesota has used the bench more frequently lately).

While the Timberwolves are restricted from trading their first-round pick this season (owed to Atlanta), Minnesota does have the Thunder's lottery-protected first. Like New Orleans, the Timberwolves will have roster restrictions this summer and will be close to the luxury tax. Unless Minnesota can bring back a contract with length, a short-term rental like what Washington did last season with Bojan Bogdanovic would not help for the future.

Restrictions/notes

• Shabazz Muhammad cannot be traded without consent because of the one-year Bird restriction. Wiggins has a poison-pill restriction in his contract.
  • Minnesota cannot trade its own first-round pick until two years after the conditions to Atlanta are met. By earning a playoff spot and losing this pick, the Wolves would be eligible to trade their own first again in 2020.

New Orleans Pelicans
i

What to watch

Their own first-round pick: Even with the Pelicans hanging on for a final playoff spot, GM Dell Demps should not entertain any offers when it pertains to their first-round picks. The Pelicans' future cap situation will force New Orleans to use the June draft to build the roster.

New Orleans' flexibility for the next three seasons (2018-19 to 2020-21) will be limited, especially if All-Star DeMarcus Cousins returns on a max contract. The Pelicans will have $120 million in committed salaries in 2018-19 with Cousins signed and will be limited in free agency based on luxury tax restrictions.

Restrictions/notes

• Dante Cunningham has veto power on any trade based on his one-year bird restriction. Jrue Holiday cannot be traded until Jan. 15. Jameer Nelson cannot be traded until Jan. 21.
  • New Orleans is $789K below the luxury tax and $1.4 million below the hard cap.
  • The Quincy Pondexter trade to Chicago has left New Orleans with $2.5 million to send out in a trade.

New York Knicks
i

What to watch

The backup centers: Even with the Joakim Noah's 12-game suspension to start the season, New York was facing an overload at backup 5. As Knicks beat writer Ian Begley has reported, Knicks management has discussed trade possibilities involving Kyle O'Quinnand Willy Hernangomez. Both players have value but come at a risk that teams and New York will need to weigh.

O'Quinn, with a $4.3 million player option for next season, is likely to opt-out of his contract but can help a playoff team off the bench now. Teams acquiring a rental are less likely to give up a significant asset. Hernangomez is more of a developmental project for the future, but he is on a cap-friendly contract ($1.5 and then $1.7 million) through 2019-20. If the Knicks move Hernangomez, they run the risk of having a shortage at the center position next season, especially if O'Quinn becomes a free agent.

Restrictions/notes

• Ron Baker has a one-year Bird restriction and cannot be traded without his approval.
  • The Knicks have $4.7 million cash to send out in a deal.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Oklahoma City Thunder
i

What to watch

The backup wings: Despite the recent losses to Phoenix, Portland and Minnesota, the Thunder's 12-8 record over the past month has quelled rumors that Paul George will be moved before the trade deadline (for now). Now with George likely in a Thunder uniform post deadline, eyes should turn to the backup wings Alex Abrines and Kyle Singler.

GM Sam Presti has been known to shed salary to reduce the luxury tax in the past (see: the Randy Foye trade in 2016) and that approach should be no different with Singler. While the Thunder have $5.1 million in cash to send out in a trade, the lack of first-round picks to attach, coupled with Singler being under contract for next season, will make it extremely difficult.

On the other hand, Abrines has struggled this season and recently his role diminished at the expense of rookie Terrance Feguson. On a value contract of $5.7 million and 5.2 million through 2018-19, moving Abrines could replenish OKC's diminished assets and reduce the current and future tax bill significantly. It would also have an impact on the future of unrestricted free agent Jerami Grant. The small forward is likely going to see a salary in the $6-7 million range this summer. If Oklahoma City retains George, Grant will probably be in another uniform next season.

Restrictions/notes

• The Thunder are not permitted to trade a first-round pick until 2024. Oklahoma City has picks owed to Minnesota and Orlando over the next four years.
  • Andre Roberson cannot be traded until Jan. 15 and Russell Westbrook Sept. 29. The no-trade clause that Carmelo Anthony had in New York has carried over to OKC.
  • Nick Collison is signed to a one-year contract and must approve of any trade.
  • Oklahoma City -- currently with a $24 million tax bill -- does have one roster spot open. However, adding a player would see the luxury tax increase.

Orlando Magic
i

What to watch

The front office: It would be easy for new president Jeff Weltman and GM John Hammond to make a rash decision on the Magic roster they inherited, including the coaching staff. Orlando is 12-29 (after starting 6-2) and headed to the lottery for a sixth consecutive season. While they will certainly be active in the next four weeks, the Magic's front office is not vulnerable to make a move just to save the season. Don't expect a major overhaul to occur until after the season, when both execs have completed a full audit of the roster.

Restrictions/notes

None

Philadelphia 76ers
i

What to watch

• One open roster spot: Trade deadline addition or March 1 buyout deadline.
  • The role and integration of Markelle Fultz.
  • The Joel Embiid workload: Averaging 30 minutes per night so far. Do not risk the future for short-term success. Embiid has played 936 minutes this season and is on pace to reach the 1,650 minutes criteria in his contract. Reaching the criteria is one of many benchmarks for years 3-5 of his extension to be guaranteed, even if he is injured.
  • Preserving cap room for 2018 or 2019.
Restrictions/notes

• Robert Covington cannot be traded until after the season.
  • Embiid has a poison-pill restriction in his contract based on signing a rookie extension in October.
  • Trevor Booker's $9.1 million contract cannot be aggregated until Feb. 7, one day before the trade deadline.
  • Philadelphia cannot receive any cash in a trade.

Phoenix Suns
i

What to watch

Greg Monroe, Tyson Chandler and Alex Len: Phoenix, under the cap by $9 million, has a decision to make about its three centers. With Monroe and Len set to enter free agency and the veteran Chandler now starting, Phoenix will need to weigh who stays and what player is eventually traded or bought out.

Monroe offers value to a playoff team based on his ability to either start or come off the bench. The challenge is Monroe's $17.8 million salary and the Suns' reluctance to give up cap flexibility in the future. The veteran Chandler still has $13.0 million and $13.6 million left on his contract over the next two seasons.

Restrictions/notes

• Alex Len has veto power on any trade based on the one-year bird restriction.
  • TJ Warren has a poison pill restriction in his contract.
  • Bledsoe's $14.5 million contract cannot be aggregated until Jan. 7.
  • Recently signed Isaiah Canaan cannot be traded during the season.

Portland Trail Blazers
i

What to watch

• Luxury tax: $2.8 million below the line and $5.1 million in cash to send out. Use the money at the draft or now?
  • March 1 roster buyout: Using roster spot 15 would mean additional luxury tax.
  • Evaluating the restricted free agents: Jusuf Nurkic, Shabazz Napier, Noah Vonleh and Pat Connaughton
  • With $111 million in guaranteed contracts next season, Portland will have tough decisions to make in the offseason for financial reasons.
Restrictions/notes

None

Sacramento Kings
i

What to watch

• The development of young player at the expense of the veterans on the roster.
  • Have something to sell in 2019: Importance of player development
Restrictions/notes

• Sacramento can receive $4.7 million cash in a trade.

San Antonio Spurs
i

What to watch

• The health of Kawhi Leonard
  • The Cleveland approach: Worry about being fresh when the playoffs start instead of seeding.
  • Keeping Rudy Gay fresh for the stretch run: Keep minutes in the 20-22 range when he returns from injury.
Restrictions/notes

• LaMarcus Aldridge cannot be traded until after the season.
  • Patty Mills cannot be traded until Jan. 15.
  • San Antonio is $2.3 million below the luxury tax.

Toronto Raptors
i

What to watch

• Keeping the backcourt fresh: Kyle Lowry (32.8 MPG, lowest since 2012-13) and DeMar DeRozan (34.6 MPG, lowest since his rookie season)
  • Balancing the budget: $1 million below the tax with one roster spot open
  • The continued role and development of the recent draft picks
Restrictions/notes

• Kyle Lowry and Serge Ibaka cannot be traded until Jan. 15. Norman Powell cannot be traded during the season.
  • The Raptors can send or receive up to $5.1 million in a trade.
  • Toronto cannot trade a first-round pick until two years after its first is conveyed to Brooklyn (likely 2020).

Utah Jazz
i

What to watch

Derrick Favors. List the top 15 centers in the NBA and you might be surprised to see Favors' name. Still only 26, Favors has cracked the list largely due to the fact that he has been healthy this season (he missed 52 games the past two seasons), found a more developed role and improved his low-post presence while taking advantage of playing time with starter Rudy Gobert injured. The Jazz will have a difficult choice to make as Favors is set to hit free agency, since they've already committed $94 million to Gobert. Even if Favors returns on a pact similar to his current contract ($11.7 million annually), the Jazz would have $33 million tied up at the center position.

Restrictions/notes

Washington Wizards
i

What to watch

The first-round pick: Does GM Ernie Grunfeld go for the hat trick before the trade deadline?

For two consecutive seasons, Grunfeld has traded away a first-round pick to improve the roster for a playoff run. With a top-5 salary and roster restrictions in the future based on the luxury tax, Washington will need to be cautious when entertaining offers involving current or future picks. Though Bojan Bogdanovic gave the bench a boost last season, the small forward was a short-term rental.

Restrictions/notes

• Otto Porter Jr. cannot be traded until Jan. 15 and must give permission if Washington elects to trade him. Porter cannot be traded to Brooklyn during the season.
  • John Wall cannot be traded until July 26, 2018.
  • The Wizards have a roster spot available but are $5.8 million over the luxury tax with a current $8.9 million tax penalty.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Scouting top international prospects for future NBA drafts

In a European market flooded with competitive, often financially struggling clubs, aggressive agents, and international talent evaluators yearning for an NBA scouting gig, prospects are identified and evaluated at a much earlier age than in the U.S. Under-14 and under-12 camps and tournaments are commonplace, as top prospects often agree to amateur deals with their local club or a basketball powerhouse like Real Madrid well before they can drive a car. While you never want to over-scout at too young of an age, it's important to at least be aware of the top international prospects who are up next.

Understanding when the next Kristaps Porzingis or Giannis Antetokounmpo may be coming and tracking their development is certainly a priority for NBA teams. Knowing of these prospects by age 16 or so pays dividends, as -- like high school juniors -- they are only a few years away from being draft eligible.

With that in mind, we scouted the Adidas Next Generation Tournament (ANGT) in L'Hospitalet, Spain, as well as the Baltic Sea Cup in Tallinn, Estonia, where Porzingis first debuted outside of Latvia as a 15-year-old. We also attended games both in France Pro B (second division) and France's under-21 league known as Espoirs, which is full of prospects who aren't yet draft eligible. Here's our breakdown of the top non-draft-eligible international prospects we scouted.

Sekou Doumbouya | Combo forward | Age: 17

6-foot-9 | 230 pounds | 7-1½ wingspan (according to his camp)

Country: France (by way of Guinea) | Club: Poitiers (France Pro B)

Where he has been scouted by the NBA: 2016 ANGT, France Pro B, 2016 FIBA U18 European Championships

Draft eligible: 2019

The 17-year-old combo forward headlines the group from an intrigue perspective, as he has been one of the most highly touted prospects in all of France since he was 14. Born in Guinea, Doumbouya moved to Orleans in North-Central France when he was 1. Growing up as a soccer standout, Doumbouya hadn't played competitive basketball until he was 12 or 13, when he was discovered by local youth coach Benoist Burguet while in the stands of a basketball game in France. With big hands, long arms and a projectable frame, Doumbouya was full of impressive physical gifts which caught the eye of Burguet, who has developed a strong relationship with Doumbouya and his family.

The standout teenager started his career as more of an energy athlete and quickly sent waves through scouting circles in France with his tools and growing skills at such a young age. After a year or so of seasoning and shifting more into a combo forward role, Doumbouya ended up attending INSEP, the top basketball academy in all of France. That pairing was somewhat short-lived, though, and he eventually signed in France Pro B with Poitiers, playing his first game against men at age 15.

He obtained his French local status in November 2016 and broke out on a grander stage at the under-18 European championships, where he teamed with future Knicks first-round pick Frank Ntilikina to lead France to a gold medal while averaging 17.8 points, 7.0 rebounds, 1.3 steals and 1.2 blocks in 29.4 minutes per game. Despite his lack of experience, the game came fairly easily to him, and Doumbouya intrigued scouts with his physical tools and tremendous defensive potential.

The hype continued to grow surrounding Doumbouya, but he has had a bit of an up-and-down season in Poitiers and struggled during the game we attended in Blois, France. While he has had some tremendous scoring nights as a teenager against grown men, his energy level fluctuates and he hasn't quite evolved into a switch-everything, defensive monster. This season the often laid-back Doumbouya is averaging only 0.9 steals and 0.4 blocks per 40 minutes, which is certainly underwhelming given his length and quickness

The situation in Poitiers isn't ideal for his growth, as the team is 4-10 and Doumbouya spends far too many possessions stationed in the corner watching a stagnant offense. His inconsistent intensity on the defensive end and sometimes uninterested demeanor are certainly sticking points for scouts moving forward. Too often he misses boxouts, gets back cut or is completely upright in his stance. When he doesn't get going early offensively, he has a tendency to let it affect other areas of his game.

On the bright side, Doumbouya's shooting stroke has really progressed, as he has soft touch and excellent rotation on his high-arcing 3-ball. He can also straight-line drive with a strong first step or operate in the post against smaller wings. He's a gifted scorer with soft touch, and going for 17 or more points twice in the past three games at age 17 is no easy feat. If Doumbouya can be more consistent with his scoring and work to untap his defensive potential, he'll be far more appealing to NBA scouts, as his elite pro skill isn't quite clear at this stage. Improving his overall feel for the game is also a priority, as he has registered more turnovers than assists this season.

Doumbouya told us that he expects scouts to dig into what he's like off the court and how he takes care of his body. He has dealt with a stress fracture in his foot and ankle injuries during the past eight months or so. He has a Carmelo Anthony-like body type -- more strong, long and quick than vertically freaky -- that could lead to a lack of explosion if he doesn't take care of himself.

Still, Doumbouya is a supreme talent for his age and an impressive blend of size and length at a combo forward position every team wants to fill. He's expected to play at the Basketball Without Borders event in Los Angeles during the All-Star break, and he should have a big camp while playing among his age group. Doumbouya is also hoping to play in the under-20 European championship this summer, which would be a great opportunity to show out in a national team setting. He will likely make the jump to France's top division next season, and being in a winning environment where he's challenged every day will be great for his growth.

Killian Hayes | Lead guard | Age: 16.4
View image on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Mike_Schmitz/status/952220058163535873
Mike Schmitz

✔@Mike_Schmitz

In Pau, the house that Boris Diaw built, for Pau-Orthez vs Cholet. Taking in the Espoirs (U21) game first featuring 2001-born PG Killian Hayes. The MVP of the 2017 U16 Euros is leading the league in assists per 40 minutes at age 16. Hayes also ranks 9th in PTS per 40 at 20.8.

6-foot-4½ | 184 pounds | 6-7 wingspan (at age 15.8)

Where he has been scouted by the NBA: 2017 Jordan Brand Classic, 2017 FIBA Under-16 European Championships, 2017 Adidas EuroCamp, Cholet Espoirs Team

Draft eligible: 2020

Born to an American father and French mother, Hayes is an ultra-confident, explosive lead guard who is shining in France's under-21 league at age 16. He has tremendous size for his age to go along with quick-twitch athleticism that allows him to live in the paint. He has the ball on a string and keeps defenses off balance with his ability to shift gears and directions quite violently.

More of a combo guard at a younger stage, Hayes is developing his floor game, as he currently ranks first in all of Espoirs in assists per 40 minutes (7.1) while also turning the ball over 5.3 times per game. Hayes continues to make great strides as a shooter as well. His 33 percent clip is a great improvement from the 25.8 percent shooting he registered during his MVP, gold-medal run with the under-16 French national team this past summer. He gets good rotation and can create space off the dribble impressively for his age.

Playing with much more swagger and confidence than your typical French prospect, Hayes also hangs his hat on the defensive end, regularly pressuring the ball and creating turnovers. While he's still earning his stripes in Cholet, Hayes is more than capable of playing a role at the Pro A level right now and should see much more time with the top team next season. Although it's still clearly early, Hayes looks the part of a top-five draft pick in 2020, as he's farther ahead than fellow French guard prospect Ntilikina at the same age.

Luka Samanic | Modern forward | Age: 18.0

6-foot-10 | 205 pounds | 6-10 wingspan (at age 16.4)

Where he has been scouted by the NBA: 2016 and 2017 ANGT, 2016 Adidas Eurocamp, 2016 FIBA under-16 European Championships, 2017 FIBA under-18 European Championships, 2017-18 LEB Gold (Spanish second division), 2018 Adidas ANGT

One year after a so-so performance at the 2016 ANGT, Samanic exploded this time around, winning MVP honors by posting a 37.0 PER over the course of four games. The Croatian forward averaged 23.3 points, 14.8 rebounds, 3.0 assists and 2.8 blocks in just 27 minutes of play. Struggling a bit with toughness and body language in the past, Samanic appears to be turning the corner, playing with much more aggression and grit. He has had an excellent six-month stretch, as he was also named MVP of the 2017 FIBA under-18 European Championships B Division this past summer. He has been tremendous at the under-18 level with Barcelona and is playing a solid role for Barcelona's second team as well.

As a player, Samanic has excellent size for a modern forward with outstanding agility. A good athlete who can play above the rim off of one leg in space, the Zagreb native is able to use his footwork effectively in the post against switches and as a perimeter defender. He continues to mature physically and get more confident in his body, which has allowed him to become more of a force on the glass (he averaged 21.7 rebounds per 40 minutes in L'Hosppitalet). A capable spot-up 3-point shooter who can also straight-line drive, operate out of the post and facilitate, Samanic brings a combination of size, agility and skills that intrigues NBA scouts.

Samanic can continue to become a more consistent shooter and finisher in traffic -- 23.5 percent from 3 and 44.1 percent from 2 in L'Hospitalet. The fact that he doesn't have elite length also limits his defensive upside a bit. But the progress Samanic has made with his approach has been noticeable to NBA scouts, and he looks every bit a potential lottery pick in next year's draft. Samanic's amateur deal with Barcelona is up after this season. It remains to be seen if he will remain with the club or look elsewhere before likely entering the 2019 draft.

Theo Maledon | Big combo guard | Age: 16.5

View image on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Mike_Schmitz/status/951121340165181441
Mike Schmitz

✔@Mike_Schmitz

Taking in a French Cup game before tonight's EuroCup contest - ASVEL Espoirs vs Bourg Espoirs. Getting another look at 6-5 PG Theo Maledon, who was excellent at ANGT in L'Hospitalet and ranks 3rd in Espoirs in scoring (17.5 PPG).

6-foot-5 | 180 pounds | 6-9½ wingspan (unofficial)

Where he has been scouted by the NBA: 2016, 2017 and 2018 ANGT, 2016 Adidas Eurocamp, 2016 and 2017 FIBA under-16 European Championships, and 2017 Jordan Brand Classic

An ANGT veteran at the ripe age of 16, Maledon stood out as arguably the camp's top point guard prospect, averaging an extremely impressive 28.5 points, 5.0 rebounds, 6.8 assists and 2.3 steals in 35 minutes per game on 56.6 percent from 2 and 42.9 percent from 3. Maledon has made great strides in a variety of areas since we first evaluated him at the 2016 Adidas Eurocamp in Treviso. He has grown to around 6-foot-5 with a strong frame and above-average positional length.

Extremely quiet on the floor at a younger age, Maledon is becoming a bit more of a vocal leader and playing with slightly more personality. Although not the most explosive athlete, he's a sound perimeter shooter when given time and can pick defenses apart with either out of pick-and-roll. Lacking a degree of wiggle with the ball, he plays a bit upright and doesn't always get by people in a half-court setting, but he's skilled and smart with positional size. Not traditionally the most dynamic finisher, either, Maledon has improved as a vertical athlete as he has grown into his body. He can defend either guard spot with his tools and could develop into a George Hill-style role with the ability to slide over to the 2 for stretches given his size and capable spot shooting.

Maledon is still becoming a more versatile shot-maker while adding more sizzle to his game, but he's a rock-solid point guard prospect who improves with every evaluation. Playing for Tony Parker-owned club ASVEL, Maledon is very close with the Parker family and is in an excellent position to continue improving. Like his friend and counterpart Killian Hayes, Maledon is also posting impressive numbers in the Espoirs league, averaging 17.7 points, 5.0 rebounds and 4.6 assists in 35 MPG. Maledon is one of France's top young guard prospects and could be one of the more highly touted international guards in the 2020 NBA draft if all goes according to plan.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Arturs Zagars | Ultra-skilled point guard | Age: 17.7
View image on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Mike_Schmitz/status/949634335145119745
Mike Schmitz

✔@Mike_Schmitz

Always a treat to watch Badalona PG Arturs Zagars. Extremely skilled Latvian point guard who broke out st the 2016 U16 Euros in Radom. Crisp handle, shoots it in a variety of ways, creative passer, confident. Has never been physically imposing but now closer to 6-3.

8:30 AM - Jan 6, 2018
Twitter Ads info and privacy

6-foot-3 | Weight: N/A | 6-2½ wingspan (at age 17.3)

Where he has been scouted by the NBA: 2015 Baltic Sea Cup, 2015 and 2016 FIBA under-16 European Championships, 2017 Basketball Without Borders (Israel), 2018 ANGT

Zagars is a supremely skilled point guard who broke out at the 2016 under-16 Euros in Radom, Poland, thanks to his polished game and confidence.

https://twitter.com/Mike_Schmitz/status/764312300937502720
Mike Schmitz

✔@Mike_Schmitz

Thought 5-10 Latvian PG Arturs Zagars was pound for pound one of the best players I saw yesterday. Small frame but elite skill level for age

11:07 PM - Aug 12, 2016
Twitter Ads info and privacy

Zagars has long been one of the more skilled 2000-born guards in Europe, but he was behind physically with a frame lacking size and length. It was clear in L'Hospitalet that he's starting to develop physically, blossoming to at least 6-foot-3 with a slightly more developed body. Not blessed with great length or dunk-contest athleticism, Zagars can be a bit of an acquired taste for some in terms of his pro outlook, but he's simply too advanced of a point guard not to consider him a legitimate NBA prospect. Zagars was one of the most impressive point guards in the entire tournament, and Joventut won the ANGT final against Barcelona despite his 1-for-9 shooting performance.

Similar to Trae Young at Oklahoma, Zagars forces defenses to play him beyond the 3-point line because he's a threat to pull up off the bounce, and from there he uses his tight handle to get to his spots on the floor to score or facilitate. He's an excellent passer who blends creativity and timing to put others in position to score. Not afraid of the moment, Zagars enjoys the spotlight and fits the pass-dribble-shoot mentality teams are looking for. He still has room to improve as a finisher in the half court, since he's far from a physical specimen, but his skill level allows him to employ floaters or high-arcing kiss shots when faced with size and length. Defensively, he projects as a one-position defender who will have to play with consistent grit to make up for what he lacks in physicality.

Malcolm Cazalon | Explosive off guard | Age: 16.3

6-foot-6 | 180 pounds (unofficial) | Wingspan: N/A

Where he has been scouted by the NBA: 2016 Adidas Nations, ASVEL Espoirs Team, 2018 Adidas Next Generation Tournament

Not a household name coming into the ANGT, Cazalon was a breakout performer thanks to his positional size, long arms, explosive athleticism and ability to create offense for himself and others in the half court. Cazalon played sparingly as a 14-year-old on the Adidas Nations Africa team, and he hasn't made any major camp or tournament appearances since, either stateside or abroad. He didn't participate in the 2017 under-16 Euros this past summer, so he was truly one of the lesser known high-level prospects prior to this year's ANGT.

He's certainly in every NBA team's scouting database now, as it's not easy to find guards with his tools and natural scoring ability. He handles the ball fluidly, often mixing in sweeping crossovers and change-of-pace dribbles. He's shifty to the rim and can finish with tomahawk flushes or soft floaters when given time and space. His father, Laurent Cazalon, was a legendary dunker in France, and that explosiveness certainly trickled down. He can rise up in midrange spots comfortably or knife to the rim going left, mixing in Rajon Rondo-like behind-the-back fakes in the process.

On the flip side, he's extremely left-hand dominant and can stand to get tougher as a finisher. He's also a very streaky 3-point shooter at this stage, which will be a main point of interest for scouts moving forward. His feel for the game is average, and playing with consistent discipline is a priority for Cazalon, as his basketball IQ leaves something to be desired at times. With that said, he shows flashes of a competitive streak and has more than enough in his physical profile to be a versatile on-ball defender at higher levels.

Vinicius Da Silva | Shot-blocking, rim-running 5 | Age: 16.8

6-foot-11, 205 pounds (unofficial) | Wingspan: N/A

Where he has been scouted by the NBA: 2018 Adidas Nations

Arriving to his club in Spain from Brazil not all that long before the ANGT, the beanpole center introduced himself to NBA scouts in L'Hospitalet by averaging 3.9 blocks and 4.7 offensive rebounds per-40 minutes.. While still raw on both ends of the floor, Da Silva has long arms, wide shoulders and an impressive motor for a big man his age. He's extremely light on his feet with long strides to the rim, and he's far more willing to throw his body around than his feathery frame would suggest.

Da Silva lacks much skill or touch on the offensive end at this stage, but he stays in his lane and is willing to embrace his role as a finisher, rebounder and shot-blocker. This is our first look at Da Silva, who certainly proved he's a name worth tracking as likely the most intriguing center prospect in the Clint Capela-type mold that we saw in L'Hospitalet.

Aleksander "Oleg" Balcerowski | Stretch-5 | Age: 17.1

7-foot-1 | 238 pounds | 7-2 wingspan (at age 16.7)

Where he has been scouted by the NBA: 2016 Jordan Brand International, 2017 and 2018 ANGT, 2017 Basketball Without Borders in Israel

In his second ANGT L'Hospitalet appearance in as many years, Balcerowski showed flashes of his potential as a mobile stretch-5, but also proved he's still not yet a consistent contributor in a few key areas. Marred by lower extremity injuries earlier in his career, Balcerowski is fully healthy yet still working to improve his physicality and feel for the game. For the second straight year he finished with at least twice as many turnovers as assists, this time boasting a 3-to-16 ratio. Becoming a more intent defender and rebounder is a priority, as he doesn't quite have the elite twitch, leaping ability or freakish length to fall back on in those areas.

Still, Balcerowski was the most intriguing stretch-big prospect we evaluated in L'Hospitalet, as he has great size, a projectable frame, solid mobility and soft touch out to 3, even if it still hasn't fully translated to game play (2-of-7 from 3, 11-of-18 from the free throw line). Balcerowski just turned 17 in November and has plenty of time to shore up some of his shortcomings. The hope in Gran Canaria is that he can follow a similar development path to 22-year-old Latvian big man and Sixers first-round stash Anzejs Pasecniks, who has been with the club since 2015.

Kriss Helmanis | Skilled center | Age: 15.7

6-foot-10 | 215 pounds (unofficial) | Wingspan: N/A

Where he has been scouted by the NBA: 2018 Baltic Sea Cup

Draft eligible: 2021

The best NBA prospect we evaluated at the 2018 Baltic Sea Cup, Helmanis is most certainly a player worth tracking as he continues to develop with Riga. Though just 15, he impressed with his wide shoulders, long arms, big hands, mobility and budding skill. Helmanis has soft hands and nice touch with both his right and left, although he struggles a bit to finish through contact and over length at this stage, as he's not the most explosive athlete. What makes Helmanis most intriguing is his ability to step out and shoot the ball, regularly spacing the floor beyond the international 3-point line with nice mechanics. Helmanis made 2 of 4 3s over the course of three Baltic Sea Cup games and also shot 87.5 percent from the line. According to the DraftExpress database, he's a lifetime 36.8 percent 3-point shooter on 87 attempts, which is quite impressive for a player his age.

Helmanis' father (6-foot-8, 255 pounds) was a longtime pro in Latvia and has been coaching since 2010, most recently as the head coach of Valmiera in the Latvian first division last season. Also, his stepbrother is Joventut point guard Arturs Zagars. Helmanis, who is likely to end up being represented by Janis Porzingis, may very well end up in Kristaps Porzingis' sports school and club, which plays in the Latvian second division. He can stand to get tougher on the glass and defense, but given his frame, mobility and skill, Helmanis is one of the most exciting long-term prospects in all of Latvia.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Which teams should trade for Kemba Walker?

Less than three weeks from the NBA trade deadline, the market got more interesting Friday when ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski reported that the Charlotte Hornets have made All-Star point guard Kemba Walker available.

What are possible destinations for Walker? And what kind of offers might the Hornets get as they seek to offload their bad, long-term contracts and get draft picks or young talent in return? Let's take a look at a few possible Walker deals.

Cleveland Cavaliers
Hornets get: Guard Isaiah Thomas, center Channing Frye, Brooklyn 2018 first-round pick

Cavaliers get: Guard Kemba Walker, center Johnny O'Bryant

i

View this deal in the ESPN Trade Machine

Yes, I wrote Thursday that the Cavaliers should hold on to the Nets' pick rather than trading it to improve their championship hopes this season. But that was under the assumption that DeAndre Jordan was the best player likely to be traded by the deadline, and Walker's availability would make things more interesting.

Dealing for Walker would be a hedge against the possibility that Thomas doesn't get back to All-Star level after his hip injury. Walker's also a little bigger, which makes him a better defensive option against the NBA's best teams. And Cleveland would be buying another year of team control. While Thomas will be an unrestricted free agent next summer, the Cavaliers either would be getting cost certainty with Walker making $12 million in the final season of his contract or have the ability to trade him if LeBron James departs via free agency.

From Charlotte's perspective, the Brooklyn pick is the best they're likely to get offered for Walker, and the Hornets might also be able to flip Thomas for another expiring contract before the deadline and get additional picks. However, making this move would prevent them from gaining additional cap relief.

Detroit Pistons
Hornets get: Guard Reggie Jackson, forwards Henry Ellenson, Stanley Johnson and Anthony Tolliver, draft picks

Pistons get: Guard Kemba Walker and forward Marvin Williams

i

Few teams would benefit more from adding Walker than the Pistons, who would be an enormous upgrade over Jackson at point guard and could push Detroit into the East's top four teams. Williams would also be a great fit for the Pistons as a stretch 4.

The challenge for the Pistons is getting Charlotte to sign off on a deal that offers little cap relief (Tolliver's $3.3 million contract is the only expiring one the Hornets would get) and no exciting young players or picks. Detroit would have to hope Charlotte still believes in Johnson's potential or offer multiple first-round picks to make this deal attractive.

Indiana Pacers
Hornets get: Guard Darren Collison, forward Bojan Bogdanovic, center Al Jefferson, 2018 first-round pick

Pacers get: Guard Kemba Walker and center Dwight Howard

i

No team could realistically offer the Hornets more cap relief than the Pacers, who have three players on large contracts with limited 2018-19 guarantees. (Together, Bogdanovic, Collison and Jefferson are guaranteed $7.5 million next season -- about $28.5 million less than Howard and Walker will make.) Is that worth getting only a draft pick that would likely drop into the 20s? Probably not, but if financial flexibility is the priority, Charlotte wouldn't do much better than this deal.

Pairing Walker and Victor Oladipo would give Indiana one of the NBA's best backcourts and would give the Pacers, just 2.5 games out of fourth in the East, a chance at winning their first playoff series since they reached the 2014 Eastern Conference finals.

One interesting alternative: Indiana could take on the remaining three-plus years on Nicolas Batum's contract. Pacers president of basketball operations Kevin Pritchard acquired Batum in Portland (in a draft-night trade), and he would fill a need at small forward. Swapping Howard out of this deal for Batum would allow the Hornets to create far more long-term savings.

New York Knicks
Hornets get: Guards Ron Baker, Jarrett Jack and Frank Ntilikina

Knicks get: Guard Kemba Walker

i

Because they're in need of a point guard, and because Walker is from New York, the Knicks will inevitably be mentioned as a destination. Alas, they can't offer Charlotte much in the way of cap relief. So the Knicks are probably reliant on the Hornets viewing Ntilikina as a better prospect than they could get elsewhere.

Phoenix Suns
Hornets get: Guard Tyler Ulis, forwards Dragan Bender and Jared Dudley, centers Greg Monroe and Alan Williams

Suns get: Guards Michael Carter-Williams, Julyan Stone and Kemba Walker, centers Dwight Howard and Johnny O'Bryant

i

Like Indiana, Phoenix could offer Charlotte major cap relief in the form of Monroe's $17.9 million expiring contract and a non-guarantee on Williams' 2018-19 salary. As compared to the Pacers, the Suns have more young talent to sweeten an offer. I've included 2016 No. 4 overall pick Dragan Bender here, but fellow 2016 lottery pick Marquese Chriss would fit too, or Phoenix could offer Miami's 2018 first-round pick.

While Walker and Devin Booker would make an outstanding backcourt, the question is how motivated the Suns would be to acquire a 28-year-old point guard not long after trading Eric Bledsoe to the Milwaukee Bucks.

Utah Jazz
Hornets get: Guards Rodney Hood and Ricky Rubio, forward Derrick Favors, 2018 first-round pick

Jazz get: Guard Kemba Walker, forwards Jeremy Lamb and Marvin Williams

i

Utah could offer an intriguing combination of cap flexibility and talent to Charlotte. The Jazz's short-term contracts come attached to quality players; Favors would surely have some value to a third team as a rental in the final season of his deal, while Rodney Hood could be worth re-signing as a restricted free agent.

Would Utah be willing to offer this much given the Jazz are currently five games out of the last playoff spot in the Western Conference? Perhaps not, but this deal would give Utah a compelling alternative to testing free agency this summer, and Williams would be a good fit as a stretch 4 next to Rudy Gobert. A starting lineup of Walker, rookie Donovan Mitchell, Joe Ingles, Williams and Gobert would make the Jazz favorites to return to the playoffs in 2018-19.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Scouting USA Basketball's best 2019 NBA draft prospects

As part of the 2017 USA Basketball Junior National Team minicamp, 18 members of the 2018 high school class were in Colorado Springs over the weekend competing for a spot at April's Nike Hoop Summit. The camp featured young players who will undoubtedly emerge as NBA prospects down the road, so let's assess the top 12 in terms of their performance and pro potential.

The 2018 high school senior class, which should typically make up a good portion of the 2019 NBA draft lottery, does not feature immediate star power yet, and the camp was lacking in energy and intensity from the very start, something that the coaching staff repeatedly pointed out to the 54 campers in attendance.

The fact that most of the elite prospects in the 2019 high school class -- such as Cole Anthony, Scottie Lewis and Bryan Antoine -- are too old to compete for a spot at the under-17 World Championship this summer, and thus weren't invited, did not help matters. While the 2019 high school class has not had a serious crop of likely NBA stars emerge yet, only two of the top 24 players in ESPN's recruiting rankings were present in Colorado Springs.

Cam Reddish | F | Duke
Reddish stood out as the top 2019 NBA draft prospect in Colorado Springs thanks to his physical tools, offensive versatility and defensive upside. The 18-year-old wing has his bouts of passivity and poor body language, but his fluidity, shot creation, passing ability and two-way potential make him a possible Paul George-esque franchise wing at the NBA level. Physically the 18-year-old Reddish compares similarly to Nicolas Batum, standing 6-foot-7 in shoes with a tremendous 211-pound frame and a 7-1 wingspan. As an 18-year-old at the Nike Hoop Summit, Batum measured 6-7& #190; in shoes with a 7-0& #190; wingspan and a 214-pound frame. Athletically Reddish is smooth in a straight line, plays at different speeds and can finish above the rim with force in space.

When Reddish is fully tuned in and playing within the flow of the game, he's more often than not the most talented player on the floor as a three-level scorer and playmaker. He's made great strides as a shooter, sporting a low yet compact release with great rotation and soft touch both off the catch and the dribble. He can create space with impressive footwork and elevation in mid-range spots, has great body control to the rim, finishes with either hand and looks comfortable playing out of ball screens as a facilitator. The Philly native is quiet on the floor and does have a tendency to blend in a bit too often, which was apparent in USA's loss to R.J. Barrett and Canada at the under-19 World Championships this summer. He also overdribbles at times and can do a better job of playing read-and-react basketball as opposed to relying on tough pull-ups.

With that said, Reddish's aggressiveness has improved, and he's far and away the most talented wing player in the 2018 high school class. Defensively, he has the tools to check up to four positions given his size, length and agility. He should have no problem playing at 225 pounds or so once he gets to the NBA, which should allow him to spend a fair amount of time at small-ball 4. Reddish's touch-and-go assertiveness will certainly be a popular talking point as he develops over the next few years, but he continues to make strides in those areas and was at this stage the most talented 2018 prospect to take the floor in Colorado Springs. -- Mike Schmitz

Player he most resembles physically in the DraftExpress measurement database: Nicolas Batum (age 18)

Zion Williamson | F | Undeclared

With this being Williamson's first appearance at a USA Basketball camp, we finally had an opportunity to evaluate his measurements, which are just as unique and controversial as his game. Williamson measured just 6-5 barefoot, with a 6-10½ wingspan and a 8-7 standing reach. While he has the height of a small forward, his massive 272 pound frame is clearly best suited for the center position and will have to be toned significantly if he's to maximize his potential, as he currently looks heavy and out of shape.

It was interesting to see Williamson being forced to shoot perimeter jumpers in the many drills that the campers were put through, something we rarely get to see from him in game action. While the results were inconsistent, he doesn't have bad shooting mechanics, and that combined with his elite touch likely gives him a decent chance to develop this part of his game.

Williamson had an extremely productive camp overall; he was impossible to contain off the dribble for anyone in attendance. He has an elite first step with polished footwork, outstanding body control and the ability to navigate tight spaces smoothly that belies his thick frame. He changes gears powerfully, generates an incredible amount of force with his finishes, has incredible touch around the basket and is also more than willing to do the little things, such as crashing the offensive glass, making the extra pass and playing with a very high intensity level defensively. While his conditioning looks poor, he continued to play hard deep into the long days of practices long after most of his peers had decided to dial it back, despite the altitude of Colorado Springs.

Williamson is a unique prospect as it is difficult to point to many comparisons in today's NBA game. Draymond Green and Julius Randle are two names that come up, but Williamson is very different than both in many key areas. It's clear that fit will be important in Williamson translating his game to the NBA, and long minutes as a small-ball center might be the optimal way to use him early on until his perimeter shooting and frame improve. -- Jonathan Givony

Player he most resembles physically in the DraftExpress measurement database: Craig Smith (age 22.6)

Nassir Little | F | UNC

Little had a very up and down couple of days in Colorado Springs yet remains an intriguing combo forward prospect given his strength, length, defensive versatility and shooting potential. The 17-year-old UNC commit stands 6-6 with a proportionate 215-pound frame and a 7-1 wingspan. Already strong in the upper and lower body, Little should have no problem filling out even more, likely playing above 230 pounds in the NBA and spending a lot of his time at the 4. Although different athletically and as players, Little compares physically to Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, who measured 6-6& #189;, 212 pounds with a 7-1 wingspan as an 18-year-old at the 2013 Nike Hoop Summit. In theory Little can defend up to four positions, switching ball screens, banging with power forwards on the block and even offering some resistance at the rim. Little had more inconsistencies in terms of effort and energy than we've seen in the past, which is somewhat concerning given the fact that his game will likely have to be predicated on toughness and defense early in his NBA career. Little isn't skilled or instinctual enough to coast at this stage, an area that will be closely monitored moving forward.

The Florida native has come a long way as a shooter, though, and should become a valuable floor spacer in time. He has a very simple stroke with nice balance and rotation off the catch, and he's also capable of knocking down one-dribble pull-ups going left or right. He's a good athlete off of two feet in space and could be a useful drop-off target out of ball screens or in the dunker spot in the half court. Little will have to develop his ability to think the game offensively as he's limited with the ball in his hands, usually looking to give it up after one or two dribbles. Knowing when to quick swing or attack the gap versus scrambling defenders will go a long way in bolstering his offensive impact.

Little may never be an NBA star, but he's exactly what teams are looking for in a two-way combo forward with his defensive versatility and shooting potential. Quiet and sometimes unenthusiastic on the floor, Little will need to play with more consistent vigor and see the court better to boost his long-term potential, as most slightly undersized 4s in his mold like Paul Millsap, Jae Crowder and James Johnson are above-average passers. Despite the lulls, Little has lottery pick potential if he plays a decent amount of 4 under Roy Williams. -- MS

Player he most resembles physically in the DraftExpress measurement database: Rondae Hollis-Jefferson (age 18)

Romeo Langford | G | Undeclared

Langford had a strong camp, confirming his status as one of the most talented prospects in the 2018 class. He has prototypical measurements for a wing at 6-6 in shoes with a 6-10 wingspan and a strong 201-pound frame. He is an outstanding athlete on top of that, blessed with excellent fluidity, body control and explosiveness. Langford is the type of player for whom everything comes easily, especially putting the ball in the basket. He has good footwork, the ability to get to the rim smoothly without a ball screen, and plays the game low to the ground. He shows some potential with his ability to knock down jumpers from beyond the arc, particularly when he can step into them in rhythm on the hop. He doesn't always shoot the ball the same way, though, especially off the dribble, and is still figuring out how to play with the same level of aggressiveness and intensity on every possession.

Naturally quiet and somewhat introverted, Langford said he's aware of the fact that he's often too passive on the floor and is looking to improve that part of his game, something we saw more of in the second day of the camp. When he's at his best, he's making his presence felt defensively, crashing the glass and scoring at will from all over the floor. Still not having turned 18 years old, Langford's best days are clearly ahead of him and his talent makes him someone NBA scouts will be monitoring closely. -- JG

Player he most resembles physically in the DraftExpress measurement database: Danny Green (age 22)

Quentin Grimes | G | Undeclared

Grimes' skills don't pop but the gritty combo guard impacts the game in a variety of ways with his physicality, defensive toughness and instinctual passing. Physically, Grimes compares favorably to Gary Harris at the same age. Grimes, now 17 years old, measured 6-3 barefoot with a 204-pound frame and a 6-7 wingspan in Colorado Springs. A 17-year-old Harris, a superior athlete and shooter, measured 6-3 barefoot with a 210-pound frame and a 6-6& #189; wingspan.

Grimes is comfortable as a transition and half-court playmaker, showing excellent timing and vision while on the move. He can play out of ball screens and get into the paint with his strong frame and creative footwork. He plays unselfish basketball and makes winning plays on both ends. Although not overly rangy defensively, Grimes is strong and willing to sit down in a stance and slide with both point guards and shooting guards, which should be his calling card early in his NCAA and NBA careers.

Grimes is a high-intangible, tough-minded guard who can pass, straight-line slash and make a shot with time and space. Becoming a more consistent shot-maker and finisher versus length are his top priorities, since he can be a bit limited as a scorer in the half court. He doesn't have a ton of wiggle with the ball and won't be able to rely as much on his physical nature against long athletes in the NBA. He's far from a non-shooter, having made 31.8 percent of his lifetime 3-pointers with fairly sound mechanics and solid rotation, but his overall touch in the half court leaves much to be desired. His ability to make his teammates better and bring toughness on the defensive end should help him get looks in the lottery of the 2019 NBA draft. -- MS

Player he most resembles physically in the DraftExpress measurement database: Gary Harris (age 17.5)

Darius Bazley | F | Syracuse

A late bloomer making his first appearance at a USA Basketball camp, Bazley had some impressive moments in Colorado Springs, showing some of the best long-term upside of any of the prospects in attendance.

Measured at 6-6 without shoes with a 6-11 wingspan, Bazley is somewhat stuck between forward positions, especially when you consider his narrow 197-pound frame. He's a smooth athlete who is quick off his feet, fluid in the open court and fairly skilled facing the basket. He likes to operate almost exclusively on the perimeter and can make an open jump shot with some consistency despite an unconventional stroke. He does interesting things with the ball in his hands, getting low with his dribble, changing speeds smoothly and finishing creatively around the basket with dexterity.

While not the toughest player -- often shying away from contact around the rim -- Bazley has good instincts on the glass and in the passing lanes, showing some multi-positional versatility defensively that could be honed as he gets stronger and hopefully more physical. His lack of strength affects him in all areas, and you'll often see him getting pushed around or knocked off his path, but his frame will likely take some time to fill out as he has very narrow shoulders. He's a naturally talented player who is still at an early stage of development in terms of his passing ability, feel for the game and experience, which makes sense considering how little buzz he had prior to this summer. It will be interesting to see how his jumper develops over time, as he tends to guide the ball with his off hand and often shoots on the way down. -- JG

Player he most resembles physically in the DraftExpress measurement database: Tony Snell (age 21.6)

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Bol Bol | C | Undeclared

Another one of the unique and controversial players in this class, Bol Bol is sure to ignite plenty of debate in NBA draft war rooms. Measured at 7-1½ barefoot,with a 9-6 standing reach (tied for the longest in our database history), Bol is now up to 226 pounds and should continue to fill out nicely in time.

No one will ever question Bol's talent level, as it's impossible to find players his size who can cover ground fluidly, step out and knock down 3-pointers and also protect the rim at a high rate. He finishes with ease around the basket due to his reach and has legitimate range on his jump shot, despite his extremely low release point. He's an impactful player when he wants to be, rotating over for blocks well above the square with terrific timing, and he also dishes the ball impressively from the perimeter with skip passes and dribble handoffs. He can put the ball on the floor skillfully attacking closeouts and has good touch on his floaters, hook shots and turnaround jumpers.

On the downside, Bol is maddeningly frustrating to watch, and likely coach, as he perpetually plays the game at half-speed and avoids contact. He refuses to put a body on opponents in the post, sets invisible screens on the perimeter and seemingly plays the game with no passion or emotion, looking to do the bare minimum. His frame will need a lot of work to reach optimal condition, as he has extremely high hips, long legs and a poor center of gravity that make him susceptible to being knocked off balance and possibly injury. He has a tough time stepping outside of the paint for that reason, struggling to bend his knees, get in a low defensive stance and move his feet on the perimeter.

Can Bol prove he has the love of the game required to convince NBA teams to invest a high draft pick on him? He's one of the bigger boom-or-bust prospects you'll find at the moment, and there are a lot of reasons to be pessimistic. -- JG

Player he most resembles physically in the DraftExpress measurement database: Hassan Whiteside (age 21)

Immanuel Quickley | G | Kentucky

Quickly had a steady performance, providing a glimpse of how he'll impact the NBA game . The 18-year-old Kentucky commit offers a nice blend of feel, shooting and defensive toughness at point guard, with impressive tools to boot. Physically he resembles Elfrid Payton, who measured 6-2½ barefoot with a 6-8 wingspan and a 185-pound frame as a 20-year-old. In Colorado Springs Quickley measured 6-3 barefoot with a long 6-8 wingspan and an improving 183-pound frame.

Not the most dynamic athlete, Quickley's NBA impact will likely start on the defensive end, where he's shown he's more than willing to pick up 94 feet and pester opposing point guards. He doesn't quite have the quick-twitch athleticism of a De'Aaron Fox, but his size, length, smarts and competitiveness will make him a plus defender of point guards, while allowing him to check smaller shooting guards as well. Offensively Quickley can impact the game both on and off the ball as he's a reliable spot shooter who can also knock down 3s when defenders go under ball screens. The future Wildcat can also make every basic read out of a ball screen, hitting the roller in stride or finding shooters spotting up. He plays a turnover-free style and has a strong skill base to rely on in the half court, playing with good pace and understanding how to run the show.

Quickley's long-term upside is limited by his less-than-stellar explosiveness both in terms of burst and leaping ability. He's not all that dynamic as a ball-screen scorer, lacking the explosiveness or wiggle to keep bigs leaning in pick-and-roll as well as the pop to strike much fear in rim protectors as a finisher. He's comfortable making mid-range jumpers or floaters out of pick-and-roll if given space but can continue to add more ways to create room and keep defenders off balance. Quickley is a rock-solid point guard prospect who may not project as a top-flight NBA starter, but at the very least figures to have a long NBA career. -- MS

Player he most resembles physically in the DraftExpress measurement database: Elfrid Payton (age 20.2)

Keldon Johnson | F | Undeclared

Johnson was a pleasant surprise, impressing with his excellent feel for the game, competitiveness and skill level as a thick-bodied guard/wing. The Virginia native has great size for a 2/3 at 6-6, 216 pounds with a 6-8½ wingspan. Although not quite as long, Johnson physically resembles Alan Anderson, who measured 6-6, 223 pounds with a 6-9& #189; wingspan as a 22-year-old at the 2005 NBA predraft camp. Johnson isn't quite great in any one area at this stage. He's not freakishly explosive or shifty in the half court and has room for improvement as a shooter, but he really knows how to play, possessing great instincts as both a scorer and a passer. He showed shooting potential both with his feet set and off the dribble, sporting a slow release yet sound rotation and fairly soft touch. He's a powerful athlete with long, strong strides to the rim in the half court and aggressively attacks the rim, often using Eurosteps to dodge help defenders. He can take contact at the rim and his solid reach (8-8) and deceptive leaping in space allows him to finish above the rim quite surprisingly at times given his thick body type.

Johnson is more than comfortable playing out of a ball screen, operating at different speeds and finding teammates both on the move and while set. He can see over the top of the defense at 6-6 and has a great feel for when to get his teammates involved and when to look for his own. Once 230 pounds, Johnson has put a lot of work into his body and the small-town wing is reaping the benefits on both ends of the floor, playing with more explosion. He's competitive with an underdog mentality. If he can continue to improve his body and perimeter shooting, he could very well develop into a much more serious draft prospect. -- MS

Player he most resembles physically in the DraftExpress measurement database: Alan Anderson (age 22.6)

Tyler Herro | G | Wisconsin

Tyler Herro made a strong impression at this camp,and may be on his way to being considered a five-star prospect according to the recruiting services. He has great size for a guard at 6-5 and looks comfortable playing both on and off the ball. He has a good frame that should fill out nicely, and while not the most explosive athlete from a vertical standpoint, he is smooth and fluid with the ball in his hands.

Herro is a strong ball-handler with excellent footwork and creativity who plays at different speeds. He is slithery out of ball screens, using his size to see over the top of the defense, and has terrific vision finding teammates for easy baskets, using both sides of the floor. He is also aggressive looking to get into the paint, finishing skillfully with floaters and touch shots while not being afraid to drive into contact and get to the free throw line. He was utilized off the ball a lot more in the second day, and while not quite as impressive playing on the wing, he still finds a way to make his presence felt with the ability to make entry passes, move off the ball and knock down open jumpers. Herro was a bit streaky as shooter over the course of the camp, especially off the dribble, but has smooth mechanics that should steady out over time.

While highly competitive, Herro will need to improve on defense, as his short 6-3.75 wingspan relative to his height makes it difficult for him to contest shots at times.

Herro has made strides with his game and looks like a great pickup for Wisconsin, which hasn't landed such a highly routed recruit since reeling in Sam Dekker in 2012. He'll likely emerge as a bona fide NBA prospect. -- JG

Player he most resembles physically in the DraftExpress measurement database: JJ Redikk (age 22)

Jahvon Quinerly | G | Arizona

Quinerly, whose NCAA eligibility remains heavily in question following the major recruiting scandal, was arguably the most offensively skilled guard in Colorado Springs. The New Jersey native has the ball on a string, delivers passes from all different angles with incredible timing, brings soft touch from the perimeter and makes up for his lack of elite size with floaters and skill finishes. Although stronger at the same age, Quinnerly compares physically to Tim Frazier, Darren Collison and Shabazz Napier at 6-1 with a slight 168-pound frame and a 6-4 wingspan. Quinnerly has the game that smaller guards need to get by in the NBA, as he constantly keeps defenders leaning with his natural change of speeds, crisp handle and creative passes. Not exactly a jet with the ball, Quinerly can stand to become a more consistent pull-up shooter as he's not likely to live in the lane or at the free throw line in the NBA. He gets nice rotation when he has time and space and can make spot-ups or pull-ups when the defense goes under, but he is bothered with hard contests.

Defensively Quinerly tends to die on screens and is likely to always be a bit of a liability. Given his less-than-stellar tools and one-way limitations, Quinerly projects more as a high-end backup who can change the game with his blend of playmaking and skillful scoring. Finding a strong development situation next season will be key for Quinerly, who is far from a no-brainer NBA player. He needs to land in a situation where he can improve his defensive habits and continue to hone his on-court leadership and pull-up shooting to maximize his long-term potential. -- MS

Player he most resembles physically in the DraftExpress measurement database: Darren Collison (age 21.9)

Emmitt Williams | F | Undeclared

Williams impressed with his relentless energy and intensity, being one of the few players at this camp to not take a single possession off. Undersized for a power forward at 6-5 without shoes, Williams' 6-10 wingspan and 8-9½ standing reach helps his cause, but he'll undoubtedly have to polish his skill level to improve his NBA prospects in time.

Williams gets most of his production off sheer hustle. He runs the floor, crashes the glass, attacks the basket in a straight line and loves to throw his body around inside the paint, drawing fouls in the process. He's a great teammate who is infectious with his competitiveness, constantly talking, getting in opponents' faces and looking to make his presence felt. His jump shot, once considered almost non-existent, showed promise at this camp, as he knocked down a number of 3-pointers with his feet set when given time and space. His release is on the slow side, but his mechanics aren't broken and he could certainly help his cause considerably if he can improve in this area.

There is little doubt that Williams will be an outstanding college player who will be productive early on in his career -- the kind of guy every coach would love to have. He also has characteristics you look for in an NBA role player. He'll have to improve his feel for the game, skill level and polish, and the fact that he'll turn 20 in the first month of his college career isn't ideal, but there is a lot to like about Williams long term. -- JG

Player he most resembles physically in the DraftExpress measurement database: Justise Winslow (age 19.1)

More measurements, observations
  • Anfernee Simons, one of the top prospects in the 2018 class, had a cast on his hand and unfortunately didn't play. He measured 6-1½ barefoot and just 181 pounds but has a long 6-7 wingspan.
  • Moses Brown didn't have a great camp, struggling to make his presence felt due to his inconsistent motor, but his physical tools certainly give him a chance long term. He measured 7-0 barefoot with a 241 pound frame, a 7-3½ wingspan and a gigantic 9-3 standing reach.
  • Jordan Brown attended his sixth USA Basketball camp in Colorado Springs in three years, which could very well be a record. He's finally starting to add weight to his lanky frame, now up to 205 pounds from 194 in June. He stands 6-10 barefoot with a 7-foot wingspan.
  • Darius Garland did not have a great camp, struggling with his jumper while not being able to use his age and experience to his advantage, but he does seem to have grown, which is a positive sign for his pro prospects. He now stands 6-0½ barefoot, ample size for a point guard, with a 175-pound frame -- up 17 pounds since last year -- with a long 6-5 wingspan. His measurements closely resemble those of Tyus Jones according to our database.