Essential The Official ESPN Insider Thread (ESPN+)

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos

Breaking down NBA moves and injuries, including Millsap's wrist
Here's our team-by-team analysis of the major and minor injuries and other moves from the past week.

All events listed alphabetically by team.

Brooklyn Nets
i

Announced point guard D'Angelo Russell underwent arthroscopic surgery on his left knee

Initially diagnosed with a knee contusion after coming down awkwardly on Nov. 11 in Utah, Russell apparently suffered a more serious injury that required arthroscopic knee surgery. While Brooklyn general manager Sean Marks told reporters that the plan is for Russell to return this season, it sounds as if he'll be sidelined an extended period.

Suddenly the Nets find themselves without either of the two point guards who began the season in the backcourt, having already lost Jeremy Lin to a ruptured patellar tendon in the season opener. Fortunately for Brooklyn, third point guard Spencer Dinwiddie has been terrific this season, averaging 17.3 points and 8.5 assists per 36 minutes. Per NBA.com/Stats, the Nets have outscored opponents by 4.1 points per 100 possessions with Dinwiddie on the court this season.

Brooklyn's issue in the short term, then, will be finding a backup to Dinwiddie. Second-year point guard Isaiah Whitehead rated 3.6 wins worse than replacement level as a rookie, the league's second-worst mark. Adding a player from the outside might be an option. Marks also told reporters the Nets would probably apply for a disabled player exception for Lin, which would give them $6 million to acquire a player in the final year of his contract or sign somebody to a one-year deal -- more purchasing power than the $3.4 million in cap space they could create by renouncing free agent Randy Foye.

Because Brooklyn has a full roster, adding a player would require waiving someone, probably either guard Sean Kilpatrick (who also is a backup point guard candidate but has fallen out of favor this season) or center Tyler Zeller.

Cleveland Cavaliers
i

Announced point guard Derrick Rose will miss at least two more weeks with a left ankle sprain and guard Iman Shumpert will miss the next five to seven days because of a left knee effusion

Having missed four games in October with an ankle sprain, Rose reinjured his left ankle on Nov. 7. He is now expected to be out through the end of the month. With Isaiah Thomas still sidelined by his hip injury -- though progressing in his rehab -- that leaves the Cavaliers with Jose Calderon as their only point guard. The loss of Shumpert, who has been playing the point for Cleveland, exacerbates that issue for the next few days.

Nonetheless, there's a case to be made that losing Rose and Shumpert will actually lead coach Tyronn Lue to use more effective lineups. Taking Rose and Shumpert off the court and moving LeBron James to the point means more minutes for the Cavaliers' superior wing options, and lo and behold, Cleveland has been at its best with James at point guard this season.

Denver Nuggets[/paste:font]
i

Power forward Paul Millsapunderwent surgery to repair a torn ligament in his left wrist

Millsap's departure in the second quarter of Sunday's loss to the Lakers was overshadowed by the ejection of teammate Nikola Jokic and coach Michael Malone, who was suspended for a game after bumping official Rodney Mott. Millsap's wrist injury will have much longer-reaching ramifications: After undergoing surgery Tuesday, he could miss three months, according to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

Despite some growing pains as the Nuggets figured out how to utilize Millsap and Jokic, both of whom are skilled facilitators for big men, the combination had been highly effective this season. Denver had outscored opponents by 9.7 points per 100 possessions when Jokic played with Millsap, per NBA.com/Stats. The combination of elite offense and solid defense the Nuggets were getting from the duo was exactly what they envisioned when they signed Millsap to a three-year, $91.5 million contract this summer in free agency.

The good news is Malone will have plenty of options for replacing Millsap because Denver loaded up on power forwards last summer, adding Trey Lyles and rookie Tyler Lydon as well as Millsap, while retaining incumbents Darrell Arthur, Kenneth Faried and Juancho Hernangomez. The Nuggets also like to use backup center Mason Plumlee alongside Millsap.

In Monday's win over Sacramento, with Wes Unseld Jr. filling in for Malone on the sidelines, Faried got the start with Lyles serving as backup power forward. Plumlee and Jokic played together only briefly, and Hernangomez played exclusively at small forward. (Arthur and Lydon, who made his NBA debut in garbage time, are both out of Malone's rotation.)

Giving Faried the first crack at replacing Millsap makes sense. While Malone has been reluctant to use Faried with Jokic, that combination was effective last season, posting a plus-10.9 net rating, slightly better than the Jokic-Millsap pairing has managed this season. Faried doesn't provide the same kind of spacing, but when he's engaged defensively he's a good partner for the less active Jokic.

This is a crucial opportunity for Lyles, who once looked like the Utah Jazz's power forward of the future but fell out of favor before being dealt to Denver so the Jazz could move up to draft Donovan Mitchell. Because of the Nuggets' crowded frontcourt depth chart, Lyles has played sparingly this season. This is his chance to establish himself as a credible backup to Millsap if the Nuggets are able to trade Faried, whose $13.8 million 2018-19 salary could be a problem for Denver.

The Nuggets have the depth to survive without Millsap, and it's helpful that the race for playoff spots in the Western Conference hasn't proven as heated as expected. At 10-7, Denver is 2 1/2 games up on the two teams (the Memphis Grizzlies and Oklahoma City Thunder) currently tied for the eighth spot in the West. While the Thunder will surely play better, if the Nuggets can merely go .500 without Millsap, they should be in position to solidify their playoff spot and worry about seeding once he returns in the late winter.

Memphis Grizzlies
i

Announced point guard Mike Conleywill be sidelined indefinitely with left Achilles soreness

Uh-oh. The Grizzlies' 7-4 start despite injuries to JaMychal Green, Ben McLemore and Wayne Selden made them one of the season's early surprises. Just as those players were returning to action, however, Conley was sidelined by Achilles soreness that has been an issue dating back to the end of the 2015-16 season.

A year ago, we fretted when Conley suffered fractured vertebrae, only to see Memphis to go 7-2 in his absence, piling up a series of close wins. This time around doesn't seem to be working out so well for the Grizzlies, who have lost their past two games without Conley, plus the other game he missed earlier this month. Although two of those three losses came by three points or fewer.

Without Conley alongside Marc Gasol, Memphis lacks the shot creation necessary to cover for the nonscorers in the starting five. Coach David Fizdale attempted to deal with that on Saturday by moving Chandler Parsons back into the starting lineup in place of James Ennis. Parsons (17 points on 7 of 9 shooting) played well, but the new second unit (minus Parsons and Mario Chalmers) flopped, and the Grizzlies shot 36.0 percent in a 22-point home loss to the Houston Rockets.

Now a game below .500 after the fast start, Memphis could lose ground in the playoff race during Conley's absence. From an individual standpoint, the time Conley misses will hurt his case to make his first All-Star Game. At 30, Conley is running out of chances to achieve that overdue honor.

Miami Heat
i

Announced forward Okaro Whiteunderwent surgery to repair a fractured fifth metatarsal

White fractured the fifth metatarsal in his left foot during practice last week, and after surgery, he's likely out at least the next couple of months. White joins Rodney McGruder (tibia) as Heat forwards who are out an extended period. For now, the Heat have enough depth to cover the injuries; White had played just 80 minutes, despite starting four games. Another injury at forward could become a problem, however.

New York Knicks
i

Waived forward Mindaugas Kuzminskas

Because Joakim Noah began the season suspended, the Knicks were able to keep 16 players, but his return forced them to trim their roster down to 15. With Jarrett Jack -- the only player on the roster whose salary is not guaranteed -- now starting at point guard, he wasn't an option for this cut. That left New York choosing between Ramon Sessions, who started the first three games at point guard but has played just nine minutes since, and Kuzminskas.

Apparently, the Knicks valued depth at point guard, where Jack and rookie Frank Ntilikinahave battled injuries in the past, because they chose to waive Kuzminskas, despite his larger $3 million salary. Kuzminskas is in the last year of his deal and had been playing sparingly, so there's little long-term cost. But ignoring position, he's probably a better NBA contributor at this point than Sessions.

The move really casts doubt on the contract New York handed out last summer to Ron Baker, who was expected to be part of the Knicks' point guard rotation but has played just 48 minutes all season. Remember that Baker got New York's valuable room midlevel exception, paying him $4.3 million this season with a player option for 2018-19. (I suspect he'll pick it up.) For the Knicks to get no production from that salary is painful.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Philadelphia 76ers
i

Renegotiated and extended the contract of forward Robert Covington, adding a reported four years and $62 million

Covington's new contract is one of the most interesting in recent NBA memory. Before renegotiating and extending his deal, remarkably, Covington wasn't even guaranteed his full minimum salary this season, the last on a four-year deal signed by former Sixers GM Sam Hinkie. Over that span, Covington developed into one of the league's better 3-and-D players and bargains.

By saving about $15 million in cap space over the summer, Philadelphia had the ability to bump up Covington's salary this season, then drop it by up to 60 percent in 2018-19 as part of a new four-year deal. The 76ers got almost to that maximum, minimizing Covington's cap hit next summer, when they could be players in free agency. (As Bobby Marks noted, Philadelphia could also wait for the summer of 2019, when Covington's salary will be slightly higher.)

The resulting deal was a win-win for player and team. The Sixers basically accelerated about a quarter of the total value of Covington's extension on this year's cap, increasing their cap flexibility in the summer of 2019 and potentially saving them money with regard to the luxury tax in 2020-21 and 2021-22, when Ben Simmonscould join Joel Embiid on a max extension.

Getting so much money up front is a huge win for Covington, who has made peanuts, comparatively, during his career because of the team-friendly deal he signed before establishing himself as an NBA player. Covington also gets the security of locking in now without having to worry about how many teams would have had the cap space necessary to make him a similar offer in free agency.

If Covington keeps shooting as he has over the first month of the season (49.1 percent from 3-point range), he possibly could have landed a much bigger offer next summer. But most likely, he'll regress to the mean, and he would have been looking at deals in the neighborhood of this one.

Toronto Raptors
i

Announced point guard Delon Wright has a dislocated right shoulder

Wright's shoulder dislocation is particularly worrisome because he has a history of right shoulder injuries. Wright dislocated the same shoulder during a game at the 2016 Las Vegas Summer League, which caused a torn shoulder labrum that required surgery and kept him out for the first 2½ months of the 2016-17 season.

Entrenched as the Raptors' third guard after Cory Joseph was traded over the summer, Wright had played well in that role, both as a point guard and off the ball alongside either Kyle Lowry or Fred VanVleet. VanVleet now steps into the role of backup point guard full time, one he can handle. The trick is filling the minutes VanVleet was playing.

When Norman Powell comes back from the hip pointer that has sidelined him the past three games, coach Dwane Casey might elect to bring him off the bench as a backup shooting guard and keep rookie OG Anunoby in the starting lineup at small forward. With Powell out, Casey used point guard Lorenzo Brown (one of Toronto's two-way players) alongside VanVleet on Sunday.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Utah Jazz
i

Announced center Rudy Gobert will be re-evaluated in four weeks after suffering a right tibia contusion

Like the Grizzlies, the Jazz find themselves in danger of falling out of the Western Conference playoff race early. At 7-10, Utah has started even slower; the Jazz are tied in the standings with the Los Angeles Lakers and only a half-game ahead of the Phoenix Suns, two teams that don't figure to be part of the playoff race.

The silver lining of the Gobert injury is that it should benefit a Utah offense that ranks 26th in the league in half-court points per possession, according to CleaningTheGlass.com. That represents a huge improvement from where the Jazz were; per NBA.com/Stats, their best four games this season in terms of offensive rating have all come in the five games they've played without Gobert.

Of course, there's a price to be paid for losing the NBA Defensive Player of the Year runner-up at the other end of the court, and not coincidentally, three of Utah's five worst defensive performances on a per-possession basis also are sans Gobert. So far, the Jazz haven't been substantially worse without Gobert. But either way, the math isn't quite adding up for Utah to outscore opponents consistently.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Kiper's Rookie Big Board: Saints' class is NFL's best

Time for a new Rookie Big Board, my ranking of the best rookies of the 2017 NFL season. You won't find first-round picks Deshaun Watson, Dalvin Cook, Jonathan Allen or Malik Hooker here, as all four are out for the season with injuries. That's the tough part of this -- they flashed their talent at times, but health and consistency really matter. So here's my top 25, plus where each player landed on my final top 300 prospects list before the 2017 draft.

Here are the parameters (same as always):

• This is a measure for all games played this season -- not just last week.
  • Total snap count matters. Staying on the field is a measure of value.
  • Positional value matters, but overall performance and impact on the team matter more.
  • Relative value matters. I ask: Would this player be a starter on most teams or on a good team?

i

1. Marshon Lattimore, CB, New Orleans Saints
Previously ranked: 4 | Final 2017 Big Board rank: 9 | Where he was drafted: 11
Lattimore has been one of the best cornerbacks in the league, and he's my pick to be Defensive Rookie of the Year. He has two interceptions (one for a touchdown), eight pass breakups, 36 tackles and a forced fumble, and he has been a huge part of the Saints' defensive improvement. New Orleans' 2017 draft class looks really solid. Lattimore is a ridiculous athlete. He ran a 4.36-second 40-yard dash and had a 38½-inch vertical and 11-foot broad jump at the combine. He also has a high ceiling. Remember: He started only one season at Ohio State.

i

2. Kareem Hunt, RB, Kansas City Chiefs

Previously ranked: 1 | Final 2017 Big Board rank: 82 | Where he was drafted: 86

Hunt is in a touchdown slump -- he hasn't scored in six games. He's averaging just 3.7 yards per carry in those six games, and he has nine fewer receptions than Alvin Kamara over that span. Hunt is still averaging 5.2 yards per carry and has six total touchdowns on the season, and he ranks No. 2 in rushing with 800 yards. Plus, his eight rushes of 20 yards lead the league. But he and the Chiefs, who have lost three of four, have struggled lately, and Hunt needs to get going down the stretch if Kansas City wants to get a first-round bye in the playoffs.

i

3. Alvin Kamara, RB, New Orleans Saints
Previously ranked: 16 | Final 2017 Big Board rank: 88 | Where he was drafted: 67
When the Saints traded running back Adrian Peterson to the Cardinals, Kamara's play was the reason most thought it was the right move. Since Peterson was dealt during New Orleans' bye week in Week 5, Kamara has four touchdowns while averaging 6.8 yards per carry, and his 560 yards from scrimmage ranks No. 3 in the league behind the Steelers' Le'Veon Bell and Saints teammate Mark Ingram. Kamara ranks No. 1 in percentage of first downs (41.9) during that span, too. Kamara was my eighth-ranked running back before the draft, as he split time in the Tennessee backfield and had only 210 carries from 2015-16. The Alabama transfer led all running backs with a 39½-inch vertical leap and 10-foot-11 broad jump at the combine.

i

4. Tre'Davious White, CB, Buffalo Bills
Previously ranked: 3 | Final 2017 Big Board rank: 32 | Where he was drafted: 27
Like Lattimore, White has had a fantastic season. White's 13 pass breakups are tied for the league lead. He also has an interception, forced fumble, 35 tackles and a fumble return for a touchdown. A four-year starter at LSU who had six career interceptions, White was one of the most consistent prospects I graded in the Class of 2017. He became Buffalo's No. 1 corner after Ronald Darby was traded to the Eagles.

i

5. Ryan Ramczyk, OT, New Orleans Saints
Previously ranked: 20 | Final 2017 Big Board rank: 29 | Where he was drafted: 32
This makes three Saints rookies in my top five. It's one of the best rookie classes in a long time. Ramczyk got my midseason offensive lineman of the year award. He hasn't missed a snap, starting at left tackle for a few games in place of Terron Armstead and now moving to the right side to replace injured Zach Strief. I thought he might be better as a right tackle in the NFL because of his run blocking, and Armstead, who is signed through 2021, is locked into the left tackle spot, barring injury.

i

6. Carl Lawson, DE, Cincinnati Bengals
Previously ranked: 6 | Final 2017 Big Board rank: 52 | Where he was drafted: 116
Lawson is playing only part time in the Bengals' pass-rushing rotation -- he has played 41.7 percent of defensive snaps so far -- but he's up to 5.5 sacks and 14 quarterback knockdowns. A former five-star recruit, he missed a season-and-a-half at Auburn because of injuries and returned as a senior in 2016 with nine sacks and 12 tackles for loss. He could be a 10-sack-a-season guy if he stays healthy (which includes taking better care of his teeth). The 3-6 Bengals are out of the playoff picture, but they got a steal in the fourth round in Lawson.

i

7. T.J. Watt, OLB, Pittsburgh Steelers
Previously ranked: 7 | Final 2017 Big Board rank: 48 | Where he was drafted: 30
The younger Watt brother had a dynamic debut with two sacks and an interception against the Browns in Week 1. He missed most of the Steelers' Week 2 victory over the Vikings and all of the Week 3 loss to the Bears, but he has been disruptive in his return from a groin injury since, though he has only two more sacks. Pittsburgh's defense is second in the NFL in sacks (29) and has been one of the best units in the league. I noted before the draft that Watt likely would start out as a situational pass-rusher in a 3-4 defense, but it has been tough to keep him off the field. He has 30 total tackles.

i

8. Christian McCaffrey, RB, Carolina Panthers
Previously ranked: 24 | Final Big Board rank: 6 | Where he was drafted: 8
McCaffrey has had a tough time running the ball -- he has only 206 yards while averaging 3.0 yards per carry -- but he has 57 catches, and the Panthers have targeted him 79 times in the passing game. They're using him all over the field. He has five total touchdowns, though he hasn't made much of an impact in the return game like I thought he might. I still think he's going to be a really good NFL player. He led the nation in all-purpose yards per game with 211.6 last season at Stanford, and he can be a weapon. I called him one of the safest picks in the draft, and he could end up making the Pro Bowl if he gets close to 100 catches.

i

9. JuJu Smith-Schuster, WR, Pittsburgh Steelers
Previously ranked: NR | Final Big Board rank: 39 | Where he was drafted: 62
The league's youngest player broke out in Week 8 with a seven-catch, 193-yard performance that included a 97-yard touchdown. He has five touchdowns and is averaging almost 18 yards per catch, and has eaten into the playing time of uber-talented wideout Martavis Bryant. Smith-Schuster had 20 touchdowns his last two seasons at USC, and he was in the first-round discussion for much of 2016. A 4.54-second 40-yard dash at the combine dropped him a little bit. He was my fifth-ranked receiver.

i

10. Jamal Adams, S, New York Jets
Previously ranked: 23 | Final Big Board rank: 3 | Where he was drafted: 6
The Jets' rookie safety duo of Adams and Marcus Maye has been solid but unspectacular. Adams has 48 total tackles, two sacks, seven tackles for loss and has recovered two fumbles while playing almost every snap on defense. He's a stud. Adams, my No. 1-ranked safety before the draft, can play in the box and help out on blitzes, and he can go cover tight ends and slot receivers.

i

11. Myles Garrett, DE, Cleveland Browns
Previously ranked: 9 | Final 2017 Big Board rank: 1 | Where he was drafted: 1
Yes, this is high for an edge rusher who has played in only four games, but Garrett has been really good when he has played. He has four sacks and eight quarterback knockdowns in only 141 defensive snaps. The No. 1 overall pick is a bright spot for the 0-9 Browns, who might undergo a regime change after the season -- again. Garrett is an athletic specimen (4.64-second 40-yard dash and 41-inch vertical at 6-foot-4, 272 pounds at the combine) who spent the entire 2016 season atop my Big Board. He was the No. 1 pass-rusher in a really good class of them; he had 32.5 sacks in his three seasons at Texas A&M.

i

12. Reuben Foster, LB, San Francisco 49ers
Previously ranked: NR | Final Big Board rank: 8 | Where he was drafted: 31
Like Garrett, Foster has played in only four games because of injury, but he has been fantastic, particularly the past two games. He had 24 total tackles against the Cardinals and Giants. Foster was one of my favorite 2017 prospects and my top-ranked inside linebacker. He's the reason the 49ers parted ways with longtime stalwart NaVorro Bowman earlier this season. I though Foster might be picked in the middle of the first round -- I projected him to the Colts at No. 15 in my two-round mock -- but he dropped to No. 31 overall, in part because of some off-field concerns. He has a chance to be one of the steals of the early rounds.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
i

13. Leonard Fournette, RB, Jacksonville Jaguars
Previously ranked: 5 | Final 2017 Big Board rank: 7 | Where he was drafted: 4
Since back-to-back weeks with more than 130 rushing yards in Weeks 5 and 6, Fournette has missed one game with a sprained ankle, missed another due to suspension, then had only 33 yards in an overtime win over the Chargers. He's averaging 4.3 yards per carry -- this 90-yard touchdown definitely helped -- and he has six rushing touchdowns. Fournette, a former No. 1 overall recruit out of high school, is also contributing in the passing game, with 17 catches and a touchdown. He had only 41 catches in his three seasons at LSU, where he looked like a first-round pick from the minute he stepped on the field as a freshman. Fournette's 28.5-inch vertical jump at the combine was the lowest by a first-round running back since 2011, but his 4.51-second 40-yard dash was phenomenal for a 240-pound back.

i

14. Kendell Beckwith, LB, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Previously ranked: 10 | Final 2017 Big Board rank: 77 | Where he was drafted: 107
The third-round pick out of LSU won a starting job in training camp and has played almost 85 percent of the Bucs' defensive snaps. He's second on the team in tackles (50) and has five tackles for loss and a sack. Beckwith was a three-year starter for the Tigers who dropped in the draft because he tore his ACL in November. Kwon Alexander, another midround steal, and Lavonte David have each missed time, but Tampa Bay has a solid linebacker corps, though the Bucs have been one of the most disappointing teams in the league.

i

15. Evan Engram, TE, New York Giants
Previously ranked: 25 | Final Big Board rank: 21 | Where he was drafted: 23
Engram was the fastest tight end at the combine (4.42-second 40), which pushed him into the first round. Engram has played a bigger role for the Giants than expected after Odell Beckham Jr. was injured. Engram has 40 catches for 443 yards and five touchdowns. At this stage of his career, he's much better as a receiver than a blocker; the Giants' staff must see the same thing, as he has run 305 routes already. At 6-3, 240 pounds, however, he has the frame to be a decent blocker.

Best of the rest
16. Jourdan Lewis, CB, Dallas Cowboys: The third-round pick has 31 total tackles and an interception while playing a big role due to injuries.
17. Dalvin Tomlinson, DT, New York Giants: Tomlinson, who has played 53.7 percent of the Giants' defensive snaps, has 22 total tackles.

18. Solomon Thomas, DE, San Francisco 49ers: He could have surged up this list but has missed the past two games with a knee injury. Thomas has eight tackles for loss.

19. Nazair Jones, DT, Seattle Seahawks: The third-round pick had an interception on his first career snap. He also has two sacks and a fumble recovery in the Seahawks' D-line rotation.

20. Eddie Jackson, S, Chicago Bears: The fourth-round pick had two 75-yard-plus touchdowns (one interception, one fumble return) in Week 7, and he has 32 total tackles.

21. Zach Cunningham, ILB, Houston Texans: Cunningham has 35 total tackles and a forced fumble but hasn't played as much in recent weeks.

22. Derek Barnett, DE, Philadelphia Eagles: Barnett has 2.5 sacks, six quarterback knockdowns and a fumble recovery in only 251 defensive snaps. He could play more down the stretch.

23. Cooper Kupp, WR, Los Angeles Rams: The former Eastern Washington star has 32 catches and three touchdowns while being the Rams' top slot wideout.

24. Marlon Humphrey, CB, Baltimore Ravens: The first-round pick is starting to come on. He has 15 total tackles and has broken up three passes.

25. Jarrad Davis, LB, Detroit Lions: Davis has 45 total tackles, a sack and an interception.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos

Thanks in advance @Skooby
NBA mock draft: Best picks for Bulls, Cavs, 76ers and more

How has our 2018 mock draft changed after six weeks of NBA action and illuminating matchups for some of the top prospects?

Here's our new look at the full first and second rounds, including a shake-up in the top five.

ESPN's BPI was used to project draft order.

1. Chicago Bulls
20505.jpg

Luka Doncic
Real Madrid
PG

i

Although Doncic is starting to feel some heat from a pair of collegiate big men making strong cases for No. 1 overall pick consideration, he's still in the midst of a historic season for an 18-year-old international, averaging 25 points, nine rebounds and seven assists per 40 minutes with a 62 percent true shooting percentage.

He would be able to help the hapless Bulls immediately at both the guard and the wing spots while likely manning the point full time. He looks like a good fit alongside the team's existing young pieces.

Starting salary: $8,095,680

2. Phoenix Suns
i

Marvin Bagley III
Duke
Freshman
PF/C

i

The Suns haven't gotten the type of results they hoped to see from their two top-10 big men drafted in 2016. They might start thinking about stockpiling more frontcourt talent, considering the options available to them here.

Bagley is putting up historic numbers for an 18-year-old thus far while carrying No. 1 Duke to an undefeated record. His toughness, scoring instincts, budding skill set and upside make him a strong contender for the No. 1 pick.

Starting salary: $7,243,440

3. Sacramento Kings

i

Deandre Ayton
Arizona
Freshman
C

i

The Kings are still figuring out just how good their young frontcourt prospects are and might not be in a situation to pass on a "best talent available" type due to positional considerations.

Ayton has adjusted quickly to college basketball. He is putting up huge numbers so far for an underachieving Arizona team. There are some concerns about his work ethic and defensive instincts, but there is no doubt about how talented he is overall.

Starting salary: $6,504,600

4. Atlanta Hawks
20504.jpg

Michael Porter Jr.
Missouri
Freshman
SF/PF

i

The Hawks have rotated among starting the likes of Luke Babbitt, Ersan Ilyasova and Mike Muscala at power forward, which indicates that an upgrade could certainly be imminent.

Michael Porter's ability to create offense and make shots from the perimeter will be attractive for a team that often struggles to score. His fit alongside promising youngsters John Collins and Taurean Prince is intriguing as well.

Starting salary: $5,864,640

5. Cleveland Cavaliers (via Nets)

20509.jpg

Mohamed Bamba
Texas
Freshman
C

i

The Cavs don't have a real center on their roster and are in desperate need of young talent, which could lead them to swing for the fences on a prospect such as Bamba.

He projects as an elite-level rim-protector with strong instincts as a rebounder. His offensive game is raw but shows promise.

Starting salary: $5,310,720

Cleveland will receive Brooklyn's first-round pick unprotected.

6. Dallas Mavericks

20468.jpg

Robert Williams
Texas A&M
Sophomore
PF/C

i

With Nerlens Noel unlikely to be in Dallas' long-term plans and Dirk Nowitzki turning 40 in June, the Mavs will definitely be looking for a frontcourt player to build around.

The Texas A&M sophomore is one of the best athletes in this draft, and he shows significant upside as a rim-protector, rebounder and finisher, while even flashing glimpses as a passer and shooter.

Starting salary: $4,823,520

7. Philadelphia 76ers (via Lakers)

20524.jpg

Jaren Jackson
Michigan State
Freshman
PF/C

i

The Sixers don't appear to have any glaring needs at the moment, which could lead them to shop this pick for more established talent.

Every team could use another long, athletic, rim-protecting, pick-and-roll-switching, 3-point-shooting big man such as Jackson, though, and his long-term upside is probably too high for him to fall much further than this.

Starting salary: $4,403,280

Philadelphia will receive L.A.'s pick if it lands at No. 1 or Nos. 6-30. Otherwise, the pick goes to Boston. BPI projects that Philly has a 71.5 percent chance of getting this pick, with a 6.4 percent chance that it ends up No. 1.

8. Memphis Grizzlies
20379.jpg

Miles Bridges
Michigan State
Sophomore
SF/PF

i

The Grizzlies will be disappointed to find themselves among the 10 worst teams in the NBA, but they certainly have some needs to address with a high draft pick. One of them is the combo forward position, which has been a rotating cast of characters in Memphis for some time now.

Bridges brings the type of athleticism, toughness and physicality the team could fall in love with.

Starting salary: $4,033,800

9. Orlando Magic

20510.jpg

Collin Sexton
Alabama
Freshman
PG

i

The Magic have invested four years in incumbent starter Elfrid Payton, but his inability to shoot 3-pointers or free throws means it still isn't clear that he is a long-term answer at the position.

Enter Sexton, the clear-cut best point guard prospect in the draft, who has been terrorizing NCAA defenses all season. (Doncic can play either backcourt position). His toughness, aggressiveness and competitiveness could fit in well on this roster.

Starting salary: $3,708,120

10. LA Clippers
20512.jpg

Kevin Knox
Kentucky
Freshman
SF/PF

i

On a roster completely devoid of young talent, the Clippers won't be in a situation to think too much about positional needs.

Knox has established himself as one of the best combo forward prospects in the draft, with his multi-positional defensive versatility, ability to stretch the floor and athleticism in the open court.

Starting salary: $3,522,480

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
11. New York Knicks

r244357_130x180_smallmug.jpg

Dzanan Musa
Cedevita
SF

i

The Knicks have a glaring hole at small forward, which could possibly be filled by a big scoring wing such as Musa, who has been putting up points at a historic rate, relative to his age, this season in the Adriatic League.

Although his defense is a question mark, his ability to create his own shot, find the open man and make jumpers from all over the floor gives him a clear-cut niche as a bucket-getter at the NBA level.

Starting salary: $3,346,560

12. Charlotte Hornets

20360.jpg

Mikal Bridges
Villanova
Junior
SF

i

The Hornets are still searching for long-term answers on the wing, where they've rotated a number of players in and out of the starting lineup all season, partially due to injuries.

Bridges is an easy player to slot on almost any NBA roster, thanks to his multi-positional defensive versatility, 3-point shooting and role-player potential.

Starting salary: $3,179,280

13. Phoenix Suns (via Heat)

20508.jpg

Trevon Duval
Duke
Freshman
PG

i

After trading Eric Bledsoe to the Bucks, the Suns have a clear-cut hole at point guard, which they'll be looking to fill this summer.

Duval came into the season projected as the second-best point guard prospect in the draft, and he has yet to relinquish that standing. He has the size and length to defend either guard spot. He's also a dangerous weapon in the open floor and a willing passer who has been making the NCAA's most efficient offense flow, despite a clear-cut lack of spacing.

Starting salary: $3,020,280

Phoenix will receive Miami's pick if it is outside the top seven. BPI projects that Phoenix has a 92.4 percent chance of landing this pick.

14. Indiana Pacers

20531.jpg

Lonnie Walker IV
Miami
Freshman
SG

i

The Pacers are exceeding expectations this season but still have some holes in their roster that they might look to fill long-term by drafting wisely.

One of them is on the wing, where Walker could draw some interest with his combination of length, perimeter shooting and budding versatility on both ends of the floor. Walker has gotten off to a slow start coming off a knee injury and will need to play better to maintain this lofty projection.

Starting salary: $2,869,320

15. New Orleans Pelicans

20491.jpg

Bruce Brown
Miami
Sophomore
SG

i

The Pelicans have one of the NBA's strongest frontcourts and could look to bolster their backcourt, where they've been far too reliant on Jrue Holiday and E'Twaun Moore.

Brown isn't ultra-talented, but he has won over NBA folks with his toughness, aggressiveness, two-way versatility and improving perimeter shooting. He started the season slowly, though he has been better as of late.

Starting salary: $2,725,680

16. Utah Jazz
20507.jpg

Wendell Carter Jr.
Duke
Freshman
C

i

The Jazz's frontcourt depth has been tested with the injury to Rudy Gobert, and Derrick Favors' unrestricted free-agency status could cause the Jazz to explore adding another big man in the draft this summer.

Carter has been overshadowed by Bagley to an extent, and he hasn't been able to show the same pick-and-roll finishing and perimeter shooting combo that intrigued NBA scouts going into the season. Nevertheless, he ticks a number of boxes that talent evaluators look for at his position, and he has plenty of upside to grow into.

Starting salary: $2,589,480

17. Denver Nuggets
i

Trae Young
Oklahoma
Freshman
PG

i

The Nuggets are still trying to figure out what their point guard rotation looks like long-term and could very well look to upgrade that position this summer.

Trae Young burst into the NBA draft conversation by posting some of the best numbers in college basketball, regardless of the fact that he's only 19. His ability to navigate pick-and-rolls and make shots off the dribble is intriguing in a class so devoid of backcourt talent -- if he can sustain his impressive productivity.

Starting salary: $2,460,000

18. Portland Trail Blazers

20525.jpg

Troy Brown
Oregon
Freshman
SG

i

The Blazers don't have much depth on the wing and could be looking to upgrade at that spot this summer.

Brown is one of the most versatile players in the freshman class, with his ability to defend multiple positions, rebound and make plays for others, even if Oregon has been somewhat disappointing so far.

Starting salary: $2,337,000

19. Milwaukee Bucks

i

Anfernee Simons
IMG Academy (HS)
SG

i

The Bucks have solid depth and could potentially afford to swing for the fences and select one of the most raw prospects in the class (but also one with significant upside).

Simons is weighing skipping college altogether and would benefit from the lack of backcourt depth from which this draft suffers. He's a tremendous athlete who shows potential as a shot-creator and off-the-dribble jump-shooter, but he could likely benefit from gaining experience at the NCAA level due to his frail physique.

Starting salary: $2,231,760

Phoenix will receive Milwaukee's pick if it lands in Nos. 11-16. BPI projects that Phoenix has a 31.3 percent chance of landing this pick.

20. Minnesota Timberwolves (via Thunder)

20463.jpg

Hamidou Diallo
Kentucky
Sophomore
SG

i

The Timberwolves have little to no depth on the wing, causing them to play stars Andrew Wiggins and Jimmy Butler nearly 74 combined minutes per game.

They could look to pick a young, athletic wing such as Diallo and groom him into a defensive stopper who can hopefully make shots consistently, an area in which he has been streaky historically.

Starting salary: $2,142,360

Minnesota will receive Oklahoma City's pick if it is outside the lottery.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
21. Atlanta Hawks (via Timberwolves)

20347.jpg

Shake Milton
SMU
Junior
PG/SG

i

With the second of their three first-round picks, the Hawks might look to add some backcourt depth, specifically someone who can play behind or alongside incumbent starters Dennis Schroder and Kent Bazemore.

A player such as Milton, who has the size and length to defend all three backcourt spots and can operate on or off the ball with a consistent outside shot, would make sense.

Starting salary: $2,056,680

Atlanta will receive Minnesota's pick if it is outside the lottery.

22. Detroit Pistons

20442.jpg

Justin Jackson
Maryland
Sophomore
SF/PF

i

The Pistons, like every NBA team, could look to add depth to their combo-forward rotation, specifically someone who can operate off the ball, make jump shots and defend multiple positions.

Jackson has gotten off to a slow start this season, but with his length and versatility, he checks a number of the boxes NBA talent evaluators look for.

Starting salary: $1,974,480

23. Philadelphia 76ers

20233.jpg

Grayson Allen
Duke
Senior
SG

i

The Sixers probably won't be looking to add too many more young players to their stacked rotation, but they could always use more perimeter shooting prowess.

Allen is a big-time shot-maker who should be ready to contribute fairly soon as one of the lone NCAA seniors projected to be picked in the first round.

Starting salary: $1,895,520

24. Washington Wizards

20527.jpg

Mitchell Robinson
College:
None
Freshman
C

i

With Marcin Gortat approaching 34 and the end of his contract next season, the Wizards might start to think about adding a young project big man they can develop down the road.

Robinson is one of the most physically talented prospects in the draft, with impressive length, athleticism and shot-blocking instincts, but he is a long way away from contributing. The fact that he elected not to play college basketball this season won't help matters, but at some point in the draft, he's worth rolling the dice on.

Starting salary: $1,819,800

25. Cleveland Cavaliers

20474.jpg

De'Anthony Melton
USC
Sophomore
PG/SG

i

Starting the likes of Jose Calderon, Dwyane Wade, Derrick Rose and Iman Shumpert at various points this season, the Cavs' backcourt is in need of an infusion of youth.

Melton looked to be on the verge of a breakout season for USC before the FBI investigation shut him down indefinitely. His defensive versatility, toughness and intangibles make him a prospect worth investing in, regardless of whatever is next for the Cavs.

Starting salary: $1,746,840

26. San Antonio Spurs

i

Nick Richards
Kentucky
Freshman
C

i

With the Spurs' incumbent big man starters both in their mid 30s and no clear-cut successor in the waiting, it might make sense for San Antonio's front office to consider drafting a project center to develop long-term.

Richards is fairly new to basketball, but he has enviable physical tools and shows enough potential as a rebounder, shot-blocker and finisher.

Starting salary: $1,689,000

27. Brooklyn Nets (via Raptors)

20411.jpg

Chimezie Metu
USC
Junior
PF/C

i

The Nets' frontcourt is still a work in progress, with a host of characters getting minutes that might not be in their long-term plans.

Metu looks the part physically, covers ground seamlessly, shows touch both facing and with his back to the basket, and might have some untapped potential on the perimeter on both ends of the floor.

Starting salary: $1,640,400

Brooklyn will receive Toronto's pick if it is outside the lottery.

28. Boston Celtics
i

Khyri Thomas
Creighton
Junior
SG

i

The Celtics love long-armed, multipositional defenders who can make shots from the perimeter.

Thomas has come on strong this season, continuing his impressive upward trajectory.

Starting salary: $1,630,320

29. Atlanta Hawks (via Rockets)

i

Tyus Battle
Syracuse
Sophomore
SG/SF

i

The Hawks are still figuring out their wing rotation long-term and could look to bolster that spot with additional depth.

Battle looks the part physically and has shown potential as a scorer from different parts of the floor thus far in his college career.

Starting salary: $1,618,320

Atlanta will receive Houston's pick if it is outside the top three.

30. Golden State Warriors
i

Brandon McCoy
UNLV
Freshman
C

i

The Warriors might look to take advantage of the depth of this draft class in the frontcourt and add another rotation player at the center position.

McCoy is putting up monster scoring and rebounding numbers as a freshman at UNLV while demonstrating some newfound shooting potential.

Starting salary: $1,606,680

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Round 2
31. Knicks (via Bulls)

Aaron Holiday | Junior | UCLA | PG

32. Suns

Rodions Kurucs | ACB/Euroleague | Barcelona | SF/PF

33. Kings

Jalen Hudson | Junior | Florida | SG

34. Hawks

Goga Bitadze | Adriatic | Mega Bemax | C

35. 76ers (via Nets)

Austin Wiley | Sophomore | Auburn | C

36. Mavericks

Arnoldas Kulboka | Italy /Champions League | Capo D'Orlando | SF

37. Magic (via Lakers)

PJ Washington | Freshman | Kentucky | PF

38. Grizzlies

Devonte' Graham | Senior | Kansas | PG

39. Nets (via Magic)

Bonzie Colson | Senior | Notre Dame | PF

40. 76ers (via Clippers)

Andrew Jones | Sophomore | Texas | PG/SG

41. Knicks

Alize Johnson | Senior | Missouri State | PF

42. Suns (via Hornets)

Chandler Hutchison | Senior | Boise State | SG

43. Rockets (via Heat)

Jacob Evans | Junior | Cincinnati | SF

44. Nets (via Pacers)

V.J. King | Sophomore | Louisville | SF

45. Bulls (via Pelicans)

Allonzo Trier | Junior | Arizona | SG

46. Jazz

Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk | Senior | Kansas | SG

47. Lakers (via Nuggets)

Ray Spalding Junior Louisville 6'10" PF

48. Nuggets (via Blazers)

Ethan Happ | Junior | Wisconsin | PF/C

49. Suns (via Bucks)

Vincent Edwards | Senior | Purdue | SF

50. Thunder

Moritz Wagner | Junior | Michigan | C

51. Wolves

Aleksa Radanov | Adriatic | FMP | SG

52. Pistons

Kostja Mushidi | Adriatic | Mega Bemax | SG

53. 76ers

Rawle Alkins | Sophomore | Arizona | SG

54. Wizards

Malik Pope | Senior | San Diego State | SF

55. Hornets (via Cavs)

Isaac Haas | Senior | Purdue | C

56. Spurs

Keita Bates-Diop | Junior | Ohio St | SF

57. Suns (via Raptors)

Johnathan Williams | Senior | Gonzaga | PF

58. Thunder (via Celtics)

Jevon Carter | Senior | West Virginia | PG

59. 76ers (via Rockets)

Karim Jallow | Germany | Bayern Muenchen II | SF

60. Nuggets (via Warriors)

Maximo Fjellerup | Argentina | Bahia Blanca | SF/PF

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
How Tatum became a better player than the one Boston traded for

What did Boston Celtics executive Danny Ainge see in Jayson Tatum to trade out of the No. 1 spot and draft him No. 3 overall?

Tatum has been on the NBA radar for the better part of five years. He joined the USA Basketball system as a 14-year-old and has been working with renowned NBA trainer Drew Hanlen since he was a youngster. Tatum debuted at No. 1 on the 2017 DraftExpress mock draft when it was first released in April 2016, and his combination of physical tools and talent were never in question.

What has been surprising, though, is how seamlessly the rookie has adjusted to playing within the flow of an NBA offense, looking significantly better than the isolation-heavy, ball-dominant scorer we saw at Duke.

How has he done it, is it sustainable and what does it mean for his long-term potential?

Greatly improved 3-ball
More of a midrange killer at the youth level, Tatum has made great strides shooting off the catch through 22 games. According to Synergy Sports, he's scoring 1.452 points per possession on 31 unguarded catch-and-shoot jumpers, an increase from his 1.216 PPP rate on 37 attempts while at Duke. Most rookies struggle to adjust to the distance of the NBA 3-point line and the closing speed of longer athletes, but Tatum's transition has been as smooth as his long strides and midpost game.

He's making corner 3s at a 61.9 percent clip, 22 percent above the league average. The first quarter of his rookie season is far and away the most confident Tatum has looked shooting the ball at any stage of his development:

Fans watching Tatum this season would find it hard to believe that he was a career 30.5 percent 3-point shooter on 249 attempts before the regular season tipped off, according to our database. Heading into his freshman year at Duke, Tatum's shooting range was one of his biggest question marks, as you can see from our 2015-16 preseason scouting video:

tatum1.png

Tatum's 1.7 made 3s per 40 minutes at Duke and career 83.5 free throw percentage certainly generated optimism heading into last year's draft, but for him to adjust this quickly is a testament to his work ethic, which has long been lauded as one of his biggest strengths. Below you can see Tatum's hesitation in catch-and-shoot situations at Duke. Whether off of dribble handoffs (DHOs) or spot-ups, Tatum's lack of certainty led to contested pullups or travel calls as he put the ball down against soft closeouts.

This is the kind of shot he too often turned down in college:

tatum2real.jpg

Tatum's newfound level of confidence as a standstill 3-point shooter has really boosted his efficiency. Playing much more out of spot-up situations -- far and away Tatum's most used play type, according to Synergy -- the 6-foot-8 forward is now able to attack scrambling defenders and use his impressive stride to get to the rim. With less spacing and an inconsistent jumper at the college level, Tatum wasn't able to play off of closeouts nearly as often, which led to unnecessary dribbles and contested pullups. He has benefited greatly from his improved stroke, as well as Boston's spacing, while even stealing some minutes at the 4:

Defenders are now closing out harder and chasing him on DHOs, which has allowed him to utilize his straight-line slashing or pullup game if given space. He's starting to punish teams for going under handoffs, which sets up the rest of his game.

Tatum's being a threat in these situations has forced teams to chase him, which opens lanes to the rim or midrange pullups, where he's still very comfortable.

tatum5.png

Keep in mind that Tatum has struggled a little bit when contested, as evident by his 42.9 effective field goal percentage (eFG) on guarded catch-and-shoot jumpers, according to Synergy. Tatum also had an eFG of 42.7 percent in these situations at Duke. Tatum's shooting efficiency could still normalize, especially as teams figure to play him a little more tightly on the perimeter. But so far he has done a tremendous job of answering any questions scouts had about his 3-point accuracy.

Quicker decisions, fewer contested pullups
Tatum's added confidence from 3 along with his more succinct role has led to quicker decisions and more efficient play. Among players under the age of 25 who play at least 20 MPG, Tatum ranks fifth in true shooting percentage, and a lot of that is a product of his improved decision-making. He had a bad habit of playing catch-and-hold basketball at times in the past. The onus was on him to operate as the primary scorer, and he was most comfortable doing that in midrange spots or by way of tough fallaways in the midpost.

Tatum has quickly adjusted to playing much more of a complementary role, making sharper reads and relying less on contested pullups. At Duke, he took nearly the same number of pullups (77) as catch-and-shoot jumpers (78), and he was most efficient as a jump-shooter on shots between 17 feet and the 3-point line (13 of 26), as you can see on his Synergy Sports shot chart below:

tatum6.jpg

Even at summer league and in the preseason (10 games), Tatum was far more reliant on off-the-dribble jumpers (39) than catch-and-shoot shots (14). He's still taking a healthy number of long 2s, but playing next to Kyrie Irving, Jaylen Brown and Al Horford, Tatum has attempted only 33 pullups to 52 catch-and-shoot jumpers through 22 games. Although he reverts back to his insta-dribble offense at times, he's doing a much better job of attacking on the catch and playing read-and-react basketball. These are the shots Tatum lived off of at Duke that had some teams worried about his efficiency:
tatum7real.jpg

tatum8.png

With only 8.9 percent of his offense comprised of isolations, compared to 22.8 percent at Duke, Tatum is playing much more instinctual basketball. The catch-and-hold possessions are now few and far between, and he's doing a nice job of attacking off the catch to get into the lane, rather than to pull up for a contested jumper:

He has also become a much more willing ball mover. While always a capable passer, he had his blinders on at times while at Duke:

tatum10.png

tatum11.png

Now he's doing a nice job of keeping the ball humming on the perimeter and even making more basic reads out of quick-hitting actions.

Aside from his still-polished post-up game (57.7 eFG), Tatum's isolation efficiency has declined considerably, with a 35.7 eFG on 24 isolation possessions. There's little doubt that he can get to his bread-and-butter pullups in the half court, but there were worries about how efficiently Tatum would be able to score playing that brand of basketball, especially because he's a more fluid than explosive athlete.

Tatum has done an excellent job of transitioning away from hero ball, however, fitting in perfectly with the Celtics' young core as more of a catch-all player who can make a shot, attack a closeout, push in transition or punish a switch in the post.

Defending at a high level
Where Tatum has really exceeded expectations is on the defensive end, ranking seventh among all small forwards (and 40th in the entire NBA) in defensive real plus-minus. Although he has always had tools and instincts, he tended to coast a bit defensively, not always displaying consistent toughness and intensity. That hasn't been the case so far in Boston, and Tatum has been a key part of the Celtics' top-ranked defense.

In hindsight, we should have projected Tatum as more of a plus-defender, given how hard it is to find 6-foot-8 forwards with an 8-foot-10½ standing reach and his footwork and anticipation. The fact that Tatum averaged more than 3.5 steals and 1.5 blocks per 40 minutes at the USA level in do-or-die competition could have been more indicative of his potential on that end. But so much of defensive productivity and effort is a product of situation. If Tatum had landed in Phoenix, would he have already extinguished a lot of the bad habits he had at Duke while battling a coaching change and coasting through blowout losses?

Although Tatum averaged an impressive 1.6 steals and 1.4 blocks per 40 minutes at Duke, we saw far too many closeouts such as this:

Tatum didn't always work to keep the ball in front of him, looking a bit too casual on a Duke team that ranked 47th in defensive efficiency, according to KenPom.com.

With how well he's shooting the ball, Tatum has transitioned to the small forward spot with ease and has been an impact defender since the season began. He currently ranks fifth in the NBA in defensive win shares, via DraftExpress' database. According to Second Spectrum data, he's better than league average defending in five of seven tracked categories (post-ups and handoffs are his two below-average marks).

On film, it's clear that Tatum is making a much better effort to sit down in a stance, get over screens and recover when he's beaten:

He has looked far more determined to get over ball screens as well, using his thin-legged, wide-shouldered frame and agility to stay attached to the ball:

tatum15.png

His tools and fluidity have allowed him to cover ground quickly on closeouts, getting opposing wings off the line while keeping them in front to contest in the paint:

tatum16.png

His activity and awareness off the ball have also been sound. Traditionally a plus-rebounder, Tatum has shown he is more than capable of impacting the game on the backboards and off the ball when dialed in.

What's next?
So far, these three improvement areas stand out:

• Finishing: 50.8 percent at the rim in the half court, 33rd percentile according to Synergy Sports
  • Accuracy vs. hard contests and shooting off movement from 3
  • Becoming a more dynamic ball-screen scorer and passer to bolster his offensive versatility
Still, Tatum has quickly learned how to help Boston win as a piece of the puzzle, rather than trying to dominate games himself as the alpha.

The fact that he already has the tough shot-making and isolation moves of most go-to scorers bodes well for his long-term upside, as he can continue to play a role on a winning team while potentially evolving into a star who is comfortable as the primary option.