Essential The Official ESPN Insider Thread (ESPN+)

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Everyone's just salty and jealous man.. I was on this shyt before yall..

anyways..

Scout's Take: ESPN 100 SF Amir Coffey to Minnesota - On The Trail - ESPN

@Skooby
Scout's Take: ESPN 100 SF Amir Coffey to Minnesota

Amir Coffey ended his recruitment Monday when he decided to stay home and play for coach Richard Pitino and the Minnesota Golden Gophers. Coffey is following in the footsteps of his father, Richard, who played for the Gophers from 1986-90 and later for the NBA Minnesota Timberwolves. Coffey, the No. 33 player in the ESPN 100, also considered Alabama, Texas and Miami.

"When I told my dad what I wanted to do, although he never pushed me to Minnesota he was super excited, " said Coffey.

Coffey took his only official visit to Minnesota and had an in-home with Alabama. He ecently canceled a scheduled official visit to Texas, which was supposed to occur this past weekend.

Here’s what Coffey will bring to the Big Ten:

Why he committed: "I wanted to stay home and represent my city, and I had a great bond with the players and coaches," Coffey said.

"Minnesota assistant coach Ben Johnson did a great job recruiting Amir and he took a liking to Ben," Richard Coffey said. "He also bought into what Coach Pitino told him about them forming not only a strong relationship, but a partnership. The players made him feel like part of the team. Amir knew them -- they played pickup ball together."

Staying close to home, where he has great support from family and friends who will get to see him play, was very important to Coffey as well.

What he brings: Coffey is a left-handed, 6-7 wing who possesses tremendous versatility. He has a great basketball IQ, feel and ball skills to excel at all three perimeter positions. His passing and court vision is exceptional, and he can also make scoring plays not only in transition but within the halfcourt offense. He is a perimeter matchup nightmare.

How he fits: Coffey will be the type of player that coach Richard Pitino can move to a variety of positions on both ends of the floor, which makes him a great fit from a style of play standpoint. Coffey will be a tremendous playmaker in the open court, and can create for himself and teammates both on and off the ball within the halfcourt offense. He will provide excellent defensive versatility as well, because he can defend all three perimeter positions and can switch at end-of-clock situations. Coffey can play in the front or back of the press becuase of his excellent length, athleticism and anticipation.

Who he reminds us of: Coffey brings to mind former Michigan star and NBA guard Jalen Rose because he is a long, lean, lefty playmaker with tremendous versatility. He also has some Michael Carter-Williams in his game.

How the class is shaping up: Coffey joins another in-state product, forward Michael Hurt, who is a smooth shooter with excellent size and ball skills. Coffey and Hurt will provide the Gophers with two versatile lefty perimeter scorers and playmakers to get Minnesota's 2016 class off to an excellent start.

Daps
Internet%20Serious%20Business.jpg

Last edited: