Alpha Male

Spare me your daps
Daps
You're looking for definitive answers when the film clearly shows this is something pa kent is wrestling with himself. He doesn't HAVE the answers. All he knows is he loves his son and wants to protect him. He sacrificed his life to delay Clarks choice for when he's mature enough for it.

sounds to me like this 'emotional teenager' could have used some fatherly guidance instead of being ridden with a chronic guilt complex and the pain of knowing he could have saved his father's life. :hubie:

the kents knew what they signed up for when they took that baby from it's alien spacecraft. it was inevitable that one day they would all have to stop the charade and let clark naturally assume his god given role whatever the consequences may be. so for jonathan kent to give up his life just so they can keep up the act for another few years is mind-numbingly stupid. why take on the extraordinary burden of raising this child if you're not prepared to see that journey to it's end?

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
sounds to me like this 'emotional teenager' could have used some fatherly guidance instead of being ridden with a chronic guilt complex and the pain of knowing he could have saved his father's life. :hubie:

the kents knew what they signed up for when they took that baby from it's alien spacecraft. it was inevitable that one day they would all have to stop the charade and let clark naturally assume his god given role whatever the consequences may be. so for jonathan kent to give up his life just so they can keep up the act for another few years is mind-numbingly stupid. why take on the extraordinary burden of raising this child if you're not prepared to see that journey to it's end?
Your problem is you are trying to put what YOU would do if you were him into it. But you aren't.

Not every character has to be someone with whom's actions you agree with.

I've told you why he did it,and what his reasons were.

Anything beyond that is you nitpicking about what you would have done.

Alpha Male

Spare me your daps
Daps
Your problem is you are trying to put what YOU would do if you were him into it. But you aren't.

Not every character has to be someone with whom's actions you agree with.

I've told you why he did it,and what his reasons were.

Anything beyond that is you nitpicking about what you would have done.

well that's a pretty ridiculous statement isn't it? how am i to be sympathetic towards a character with whom i can't relate to at all? :dahell:

why did this dummy adopt this baby from that alien spacecraft if he wasn't prepared to deal with the consequences? :dahell:

Soymuscle Mike

Formerly known as Vincenzo Corleone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
The military came after Clark IMMEDIATELY when they found out about him. Had drones going after him, tried to do tests on him and tried to arrest him.

Then you have brehs like Lex Luthor framing him for human rights violations and Batman coming after his neck for thinking he was a threat to mankind.

The ONLY reason this all ended well is because of Clarks character. Because he didn't simply evaporate the army, snapped Batman's neck and either left Earth or stayed because who the fukk is going to make him leave.

He had an entire Kryptonian army at his disposal and chose compassion because he emphathized with humans.

Pa Kent was afraid that the teenage Clark would've reacted differently than the adult Clark did.

That's really the end of story. We saw Clark barely contain himself from stomping the head off that trucker, and instead taking it out on his truck. Even as an adult he was dealing with his frustrations/emotions.

Like @obarth @MartyMcFly @Prodigal Syndicate said, this isn't as complex as y'all are making it out to be. Pa Kent's motivations are later justified by MoS and BvS (and even Suicide Squad as we see the government manipulating people with powers into doing their bidding).

You could say he should've let Clark save him, but you would've gambled a younger unstable Clark vs the world. I think more people might have died. This was the illest Pa Kent I've seen because he was real as fukk. If he was alive to see th army/Lex/Batman fukkery he probably would've told Clark "on some real nikka shyt you got the right to bomb on these habitual linesteppers".

Alpha Male

Spare me your daps
Daps
Younger unstable Clark? He was a kind hearted kid who wanted to use his powers to help people in need :gucci:

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
Younger unstable Clark? He was a kind hearted kid who wanted to use his powers to help people in need :gucci:
I'm assuming by your screen name you're a male. Have you experienced puberty? Do you know what it's like to have your emotions all over the place? Like @Prodigal Syndicate said, Clark literally had just told Pa Kent "You're not even my dad" moments before the tornado hit. All teens are unstable. The whole point of the flashback scenes are to show development from the unsure teen to the man he becomes by the end of the movie. Yes, Clark wants to help people. But being the naive child he is, he takes for granted humans willingness to accept something greater and foreign to them. For gods sake, we have a President that wants to build a wall to keep Mexicans out and you really think we're ready for real aliens to just chill in the cut?:francis:On top of everything else I said, Jor-El sent him there with the possibility that he would recreate Krypton, aka end of the human race. Clark's upbringing is what stopped him from doing that. When Zod tells him that he'll be dooming Krypton if he destroys the ship, they make a point of showing Clark hesitate for a moment before he says "Krypton had its chance". shyt, if you watched Flashpoint Paradox you saw what the government did to Superman once aware of what he was capable of. Batman Vs Superman showed the reality of how he'd be viewed even after saving the human race in the first film. It took him seemingly dying to get people to appreciate him.

Soymuscle Mike

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
Also, we didn't really see kindhearted. We saw a confused kid who didn't punch other kids to death, there's a difference.

He seemed more like a quiet loner/outcast. In fact every scene he's in he's by himself, first scene is a bunch of kids laughing at him and asking each other why he's so weird as his mom has to come to school to calm him down. Then we see him sitting alone on the bus. Then we see a bunch of kids beating him down and Clark having to restrain himself from hitting them up.

It's never really established that he has friends. And as an adult he's become a nameless nomad who people only remember as just "being there" and dissappearing after helping somebody out.

If I said this about anyone not named Clark Kent you wouldn't go "ah see, nothing wrong with that he'll turn into a fine troublefree adult".

He had reasons to be angry/fearful and his parents knew this.

Alpha Male

Spare me your daps
Daps
Yes, Clark wants to help people. But being the naive child he is, he takes for granted humans willingness to accept something greater and foreign to them. For gods sake, we have a President that wants to build a wall to keep Mexicans out and you really think we're ready for real aliens to just chill in the cut?

if that's the case i don't see what a few years difference would make. how would the world have reacted any differently to an alien savior from the time clark was a teenager to the time he was an adult?

obvioously pa kent doesn't know that general zod is coming to earth, so may i ask WHEN would have been the proper time for clark to come out of the closet and stop the charade? never?

Soymuscle Mike

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
obvioously pa kent doesn't know that general zod is coming to earth, so may i ask WHEN would have been the proper time for clark to come out of the closet and stop the charade? never?

Now we're getting somewhere.

What you just asked is exactly what his parents are trying to figure out, will it REALLY help Clark or humanity out if "the answer to what's out there" is revealed?

WE know that yes - he will grow up to be Superman. His parents don't. They also don't know how all the Earth's governments will respond. And at the point of the tornado, I don't think Pa Kent knows how Clark will respond if he's really pushed to the edge.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
Pa Kent himself talks about that inconsistency. He says "maybe" and "I don't know" quite a bit as well. He's trying to be the best father that he can be to an alien with super powers. Not exactly a conventional parenting job, if such a thing actually exists. He doesn't have the luxury of never knowing his child has super powers like Uncle Ben does. Or like the parents of practically every other superhero, matter of fact. Think about that for a second. How would you go about raising a child who had the powers of a god, while you were a mere mortal? You want to instill good morals but, if you're half a shyt when it comes to this whole parenting thing, you want your child to be protected from the dangers of the world. So yeah, you would be contradicting yourself at times. A moody pre-teen/teenager with superpowers is not someone you want making impactful choices. You would have a point if Clark was a grown man and his father was around telling him not to save people, but that didn't happen

These people been dumbed down to the point where that good explanation went over their heads.

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Why are we still bytching about MOS in 2017 :dwillhuh:

It's gonna be 2024 and nikkas will still talk about "But Pa Kent in MOS"

:pachaha:
Snyder the god makes film that people can't stop talking about :wow:

There's no been 2 comic films ever made that have been discussed more than Mos and bvs.

FACTS! "beanie Sigel voice"

Alpha Male

Spare me your daps
Daps
Now we're getting somewhere.

What you just asked is exactly what his parents are trying to figure out, will it REALLY help Clark or humanity out if "the answer to what's out there" is revealed?

WE know that yes - he will grow up to be Superman. His parents don't. They also don't know how all the Earth's governments will respond. And at the point of the tornado, I don't think Pa Kent knows how Clark will respond if he's really pushed to the edge.

so it sounds to me that you think pa kent wanted clark to keep his abilities a secret forever.