The Official Dallas,TX DFW Metroplex Thread

mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Underdeveloped Minds Research Institute
:russell:. We're not a black mecca, but we've had black mayors and superintendents in Dallas. You bring this up every few months. We get it. Instead of talkin shyt, why don't some of yall move down here and change something.

I'm not talking shyt. I just have to correct the misguided on here who market Dallas as some Black Mecca! It's a nice city. It's a great place if you are desperate to find a job. But, it's no Black Mecca and will probably never be one.

Dallas has had only ONE Black mayor over the last four decades: Ron Kirk

Atlanta has had a continuous reign of Black mayors over the last four decades: Maynard Jackson, Andrew Young, Maynard Jackson, Bill Campbell, Shirley Franklin, Kasim Reed

DC has also had a continuous reign of Black mayors over the last four decades: Walter Washington, Marion Barry, Sharon Kelly, Marion Barry, Anthony Williams, Adrian Fenty, Vincent Gray, Muriel Bowser

Not to mention Atlanta is slowly becoming the Hollywood of the South. All the shyt Tyler Perry is doing in terms of buying up land, etc. for his entertainment empire.

2048x1152

Situated on the grounds is a district featuring 37 houses and buildings built between 1889 and 1910. The 200 acres of greenspace includes golf course fairways, ponds and woodlands. Plans are to build at least 14 sound stages, with the largest one measuring about 60,000 square feet and containing a water tank. The base will also have backlots and major practical sets.

But, Perry points out, “no other African American has had something of this size, of this degree, without a partnership or conglomerate or some major company behind it.”

To get a sense of the sheer magnitude of Tyler Perry Studios, consider the size of other major studios. Warner Bros. Studios in Burbank, considered one of the premium studios in the country, rests on 145 acres. Burbank’s Walt Disney Studios, which serves as both the corporate headquarters and the filming base for several film and TV productions, sits on 51 acres.

Take a tour of Tyler Perry's massive new studio on a former Army base in Atlanta

If Nollywood can partner with Black filmmakers in Atlanta, can you imagine the type of power moves that can and will be made in Atlanta?

Last edited:

The Burger King

Fast Food Gangsta
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
East Whopper City
I'm not talking shyt. I just have to correct the misguided on here who market Dallas as some Black Mecca! It's a nice city. It's a great place if you are desperate to find a job. But, it's no Black Mecca and will probably never be one.

Atlanta has had a continuous reign of Black mayors over the last four decades: Maynard Jackson, Andrew Young, Maynard Jackson, Bill Campbell, Shirley Franklin, Kasim Reed

DC has also had a continuous reign of Black mayors over the last four decades: Walter Washington, Marion Barry, Sharon Kelly, Marion Barry, Anthony Williams, Adrian Fenty, Vincent Gray, Muriel Bowser

Not to mention Atlanta is slowly becoming the Hollywood of the South. All the shyt Tyler Perry is doing in terms of buying up land, etc. for his entertainment empire.

Take a tour of Tyler Perry's massive new studio on a former Army base in Atlanta

If Nollywood can partner with Black filmmakers in Atlanta, can you imagine the type of power moves that can and will be made in Atlanta?

All the black people I know that come here are happy and flourish when they take advantage of certain opportunities.

In spite of all the shyt talk and city vs city/region vs region bullshyt that goes on here in TLR, I have never met a black person from another city who doesn't like Dallas and doesn't end up doing well for themselves. And this is coming from someone who isn't originally from here.

It's like you're trying to convince people who are happy here that they shouldn't be happy here.

rantanamo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Right, coming to a Dallas thread and shytting on Dallas and people's lives because you've been here enough ain't gonna sell nobody on anything. It comes across as shytting on people. No shyt Dallas ain't a black Mecca. There aren't enough if us here for it to be. But we do have our own community, our own culture, our own ways of interacting. Delegitimizing that because it exists in larger or greater quantity elsewhere isn't going to win people over. Everyone has their own space. There have been black people here since the city began. Before that even. There have been moments of triumph. There have been struggles, and there have been great successes. Just because it ain't to your degree of blackness doesn't make it lesser. Just because some choose economic opportunity over overwhelming culture isn't a negative. We see other races and cultures take these opportunities and carve out their own power and niche. The Indian community here went from a small percentage to overtaking Houston as a top five US city for Indians. They've brought cultural intuitions, they've turned UTD into what might be a top 3 school in the state from a pure performance point of view. They've established political power. The opportunity is there for people to do it if they want this to be an Atlanta. Otherwise, no one mistaking it for Atlanta, but there is something here

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

Is there talks of that?

mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
All the black people I know that come here are happy and flourish when they take advantage of certain opportunities.

In spite of all the shyt talk and city vs city/region vs region bullshyt that goes on here in TLR, I have never met a black person from another city who doesn't like Dallas and doesn't end up doing well for themselves. And this is coming from someone who isn't originally from here.

It's like you're trying to convince people who are happy here that they shouldn't be happy here.

I'm not trying to convince those people of anything.

I'm simply correcting the people who've been in other threads shytting on other cities and then trying to big up Dallas as some Black Mecca.

mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Right, coming to a Dallas thread and shytting on Dallas and people's lives because you've been here enough ain't gonna sell nobody on anything. It comes across as shytting on people. No shyt Dallas ain't a black Mecca. There aren't enough if us here for it to be. But we do have our own community, our own culture, our own ways of interacting. Delegitimizing that because it exists in larger or greater quantity elsewhere isn't going to win people over. Everyone has their own space. There have been black people here since the city began. Before that even. There have been moments of triumph. There have been struggles, and there have been great successes. Just because it ain't to your degree of blackness doesn't make it lesser. Just because some choose economic opportunity over overwhelming culture isn't a negative. We see other races and cultures take these opportunities and carve out their own power and niche. The Indian community here went from a small percentage to overtaking Houston as a top five US city for Indians. They've brought cultural intuitions, they've turned UTD into what might be a top 3 school in the state from a pure performance point of view. They've established political power. The opportunity is there for people to do it if they want this to be an Atlanta. Otherwise, no one mistaking it for Atlanta, but there is something here

If Black folks have been in Dallas so long, why hasn't it become a Black Mecca?

Why Young Black Professionals Are Wary of Dallas

Marezzy

RIP my Nikka Zooboomafo 🕊️11-20-2014🕊️
Daps
Reppin
Dallas,Tx
So that apartment I moved to in Bedford, I had my door kicked in Friday by some shady black dude that was walking around the complex. The apartments nikka rigg the door and frame. They said it's fixed and I say I want a new door. I cut myself on the damn door 3 times. This is not the Bedford experience I was expecting

Sonic Boom of the South

Louisiana, Army War Vet, Jackson State Univ Alum,
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rosenbreg's, Rosenberg's...1825, Tulane
Yo I went to the Big 3 game at the American Airlines Center

So I went to the CVS
Next to it to get cash back to pay for parking
There are signs all over the parking lot saying "parking for customers only, violaters will be towed"

People would still park there and the tow truck was there towing people's shyt

So while in the store another tow truck dude was there seeing who was in what vechile
Then checking to see if they left in their car or walking over to the AAC

Then dude told me that he saw me get out my truck
And that he like my truck
And he saw my Army licence plates

I asked dude where was the cheapest place to park

Dude told me not to worry about
And that I could park in the CVS parking lot

Dude told me that tow companies give stores a few parking passes to give to people to let them park there and not get towed:ohhh:

So he asked a store worker to give me a pass to hang on my rearview mirror:ohhh:

So instead of paying$25 to park at the AAC
I parked for free:wow: at CVS

He told me from now on when I park downtown for an event
That if there is a store or restaurant close where they tow non patrons
To go in and ask if they have any parking passes from the tow company:ohhh:

So try that and see if u can avoid paying for parking:yeshrug:

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin

FACTS.