Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

Dillah810

Flat Girther
Daps
Reppin
Flint, Michigan
14680525_10101084940128792_5999785665268044635_n.jpg

:mjlol: at Deadpool mocking the Boston accent.

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
new Nighthawk was a great ending to that story
some real movie shyt

will another book ever be made tho? :mjcry:

Concerning VIolence

Decolonizer
Daps
Reppin
the belly of the empire
They rarely push any books tho....old or new characters. They may get 1 article on CBR & a very similar article on Comicvine. They push events, and overexpose characters throughout every book for their push, until public is sick of them (Pixie, Hope, Inhumans Iron Fist, Black Cat). I figured Power Man & Iron Fist wasn't selling. I won't say the art is bad, but I don't think it fit the book.

You really have to stumble upon them and use WoM.

Some non A-list books clearly get more pushes though. Khan as Ms. Marvel, RiRi williams as the new Iron Man, etc. Ms. Marvel being the most successful newest superhero for them in recent times.

So it's not like that they're not trying to market at all and don't have a direction of what they want out there. Pushing big/crossover events one after the other is definitely their biggest modus operandi though, I agree.

It's gonna be impossible to find that last issue of Nighthawk. I went to three stores yesterday and none of them had it.

I thought I was the only having this problem. :francis:

How are they all gone quickly or unavailable? My LCBS still has a #5 from last month on stand.

How many copies of it did they usually have

I didn't ask.

Issue 5 of Nighthawk sold 9,747 copies. That is beyond dismal. Granted, that doesn't even mean 9,747 were bought by readers.... nah, it means that only 9,747 copies were bought by comic book shop owners to put in their stores for us. My comic shop only had about 5 issues available. Which means once those 5 are taken, the book is "sold out".

Once shop owners start drastically pulling the plug on the number of issues they order (which probably happened around issue 3 or 4), there would need to be a shytload of readers asking for back-orders to turn things around... otherwise it's heading straight for cancellation. And if you look at the issue #1 sales, shop owners didn't order too many copies of it to begin with.

I see.

the most captivating parts of Nighthawk actually wasn't when he was breaking limbs.. it was his introspective thoughts on other superheroes and the shyt he said to them.

This is true. :ehh:

NH's bloodthirst and beliefs has persevered in the current universe but the vehicle of commentary he provided in conjunction to the other superheroes around him back in Supreme Power was a compelling part of his characther,.

I miss NH giving people like Hyperion --and pretty much anyone that wasn't him -- the ether with straight badassery and no fukks given. NH is not a people person.

It's really the only instance of a black superhero being absoutely and politically conscious of the fact that he's like the only black person out of a group of superheroes. And very unapolgetic about it. It was GOAT. NH speaks to something that is just missing from other black superheroes.

There's actually a broader dialogue when you think about it when his militancy is in direction to other superheroes instead of at general society like we see in his current book. It's sort of deconstructing the superhero genre (Sqaudron Surpreme itself is a deconstruction).

The panels you posted are powerful and genius because they simultaneously play with both the tropes of the typical naive liberal white person (colorblindness and "we're all one race! The HUMAN race!") and the paragon Captain America-like superhero notion of idealism and good will (saving people for the sake of saving them because they're superheroes and that's what they do).

And NH completely inverts it and deconstructs all of that.

In the current Squadron Supreme book, NH doesn't mention race or his blackness at all, which I suppose is fair since the original Supreme Power was published under MAX and written a decade ago by a totally different writer so the contex is different. (And maybe because the SS he knew are all dead and the new sqaud is made up of ones from alternate universes).

This was the stuff I was used to, it mirrored Sam Wilson's book in that regard but dialed all the way up. In fact, there was another superhero, a black speedster, who played the 'idealistic' Miles Morales type but in his late teens. The type of shyt NH would say to that young man :wow:

shyt got emotional watchin them snap at each other over their perspectives, b/c NH hit that young man with that real shyt, and prob overstepped his boundaries but did it b/c he wanted that kid to be great. And the kid had a great deal of respect for NH b/c he knew dude was all about black lives. It was A1 story telling.

The speedster was Blur.

The funny thing about Blur was that he wasn't really much of a c00n. He just wasn't on NH's serious level of "fukk cacs".. :russ:

NH lambasted him to hell and called him an uncle tom, a house slave, and the whole nine yards. :mjlol:

He really hated the position Blur was in because he felt he was a docile, puppet, poster boy negro with a mundane power (superspeed) and felt he wasn't woke enough to realize his own status in the midst of it, and perhaps neglecting his potential greatness. Blur in his eyes was too soft and naive for his militancy. And he was the only other black person on the squad.

if he felt so strongly about Blur in this way, that's why I'm dying to see what he has to say about Blue Marvel or Luke Cage or T'challa or Storm or ANY of the black superheroes in a personal confrontation. Some writer out there has to be keen and intelligent enough to peek this out and make it happen. Coates already got The Crew up and running so it's about as simple as someone lie Coates being aware of NH and his history and starting something up.

Imagine NH getting invited to join The Crew.

He'll probably'll end up callin them super-c00ns. :lolbron:

Last edited:

Kane

#BonesGANG
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
I just read through all six issues of Nighthawk :whew:

Damn brehs, it's really a shame that this got cancelled :to:

The story was dope af, and I actually got used to the art. Wasn't as bad as I thought.

Pro-black superhero :wow:

Killing corrupt cops and white supremacists while rocking Yeezy's :wow:

In my city at that :wow:

Why can't we have nice things yall? :mjcry:

Last edited:

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
I was wrong about Vigilante: Southtown. It's good. It's just a bit..... choppy. You know how you read a script and it says "Scene 1: blah blah Scene 2: Blah Blah", and there's no transition between the plotted scenes? That's exactly how it reads.

Doctor Strange: Sorcerers Supreme was ehhhh..... cool characters, though. Except Future Wiccan. Art is kkinda horrendous, though. It looks like Japanese art from the Edo period, where it seemed like everyone had been slammed between the eyes with a ballpeen hammer.

New Avengers: Roberto shytting on the world. It's by far my favorite Avengers book.

Teen Titans Rebirth: I saw a lot of folks giving it praise, but I didn't enjoy it. Damien needs to read New Avengers so he can learn how to shyt on folks plot wise.

Steve Rogers: These assclowns really chopped a whole section out of Civil War #6 and reused it.

Civil War: fukk this book.

Vision: As a whole and complete story, Vision is one of the best comics I've ever read. :mjcry:

Ultimates: Honestly I've been enjoying the sense of continuity that Marvel's been showing outside of the Bendis-centric books. It halfway feels like (and has been feeling like since the start of Civil War) that the other writers have been rebelling against Marvel's Bendis-Event pandering, where all books have the same scenes as the book Bendis is writing, while continuity and firmly established character personalities go out the window. Nice callback to my beloved "too cool and hipsterish" Young Avengers. Roberto shytting on the world was also referenced here. Also, I wonder where this "Eternity in Chains" references are leading to?

Also, those people on the last page are all New Universe characters. :takedat:

Are they able to go head up with The Ultimates? Yes, they got a pretty good fukking chance. :wow:

Last edited:

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
NH's bloodthirst and beliefs has persevered in the current universe but the vehicle of commentary he provided in conjunction to the other superheroes around him back in Supreme Power was a compelling part of his characther,.

I miss NH giving people like Hyperion --and pretty much anyone that wasn't him -- the ether with straight badassery and no fukks given. NH is not a people person.

It's really the only instance of a black superhero being absoutely and politically conscious of the fact that he's like the only black person out of a group of superheroes. And very unapolgetic about it. It was GOAT. NH speaks to something that is just missing from other black superheroes.

There's actually a broader dialogue when you think about it when his militancy is in direction to other superheroes instead of at general society like we see in his current book. It's sort of deconstructing the superhero genre (Sqaudron Surpreme itself is a deconstruction).

The panels you posted are powerful and genius because they simultaneously play with both the tropes of the typical naive liberal white person (colorblindness and "we're all one race! The HUMAN race!") and the paragon Captain America-like superhero notion of idealism and good will (saving people for the sake of saving them because they're superheroes and that's what they do).

And NH completely inverts it and deconstructs all of that.

In the current Squadron Supreme book, NH doesn't mention race or his blackness at all, which I suppose is fair since the original Supreme Power was published under MAX and written a decade ago by a totally different writer so the contex is different. (And maybe because the SS he knew are all dead and the new sqaud is made up of ones from alternate universes).

SO0g7nd.gif

Spot on analysis.

It's why I had mixed feelings on Walker's Nighthawk. NH in his ideal state, fully utilized, is social commentary on superheroes:
  • He would address the interracial dating trope when it comes to Marvel's black heroes.
  • He would address the token black hero on the team trope.
  • He would have a FIELD DAY with Blue Marvel's origin.
  • He would have a FIELD DAY with the whole idea of mutants and Xavier /Cyclops / Magneto (i.e. 2 white cacs and a white jew cac) being the MLK and Malcolm Xs of the movement.
  • The idea of an Aryan man named Captain America
  • The idea of a black man named Captain America
  • Black Panther. Period. lol
That's the type of fukkery Nighthawk brings to the table. If you see him around your favorite character you instantly go :lupe: because you know he about to have that character in they feelings.. and yet you look forward to it b/c it's socioeconomic "superhero" commentary through the eyes of a pre-Mecca Malcolm X who has Batman's wealth and abilities.

That's why I felt Walker missed the mark on NH, and why i think he's just 'aight' as a Marvel writer.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
DC finally revealed the full line-up for the new Justice League of America book by Steve Orlando and Ivan Reis that is coming out in February:
YmlEm2P.jpg

Batman
The Atom
The Ray
Black Canary
Vixen
Killer Frost
Lobo

John Reena

Superstar
Daps
DC finally revealed the full line-up for the new Justice League of America book by Steve Orlando and Ivan Reis that is coming out in February:
YmlEm2P.jpg

Batman
The Atom
The Ray
Black Canary
Vixen
Killer Frost
Lobo

I like the "unorthodox line-ups".

Plus Batman's the leader?

Count me in!

Daps
Reppin
Latveria
Nighthawk will be a cool trade. I already pre ordered it but I have a feeling I won't like it as much as his appearances in the Max books.

I slept on this Gotham Central book. This omnibus is fantastic so far, its the best Batman related thing I've read at least up till I'm at.