Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
They were bad but Marvel didn't even pretend to try and market it. They pushed out an unknown book with a very obscure hero and with no hype at all. That's never gonna work no matter how compelling and fresh the plot is. They could have gone all out with advertisng the sensationalism of the plot. They knew it wasn't going to be a hit but they did it anyway for some odd reason and that's what's striking to me.

And I thought Power Man and Iron Fist had a big fanbase?

They rarely push any books tho....old or new characters. They may get 1 article on CBR & a very similar article on Comicvine. They push events, and overexpose characters throughout every book for their push, until public is sick of them (Pixie, Hope, Inhumans Iron Fist, Black Cat). I figured Power Man & Iron Fist wasn't selling. I won't say the art is bad, but I don't think it fit the book.

You really have to stumble upon them and use WoM.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
I read an article about Nighthawk's cancellation and the sales numbers they gave were bad. I didn't even know the book existed until I read the cancellation articles. I preordered the trade on Amazon.

David Walker also said that Power Man & Iron Fist isn't doing well.
They were bad but Marvel didn't even pretend to try and market it. They pushed out an unknown book with a very obscure hero and with no hype at all. That's never gonna work no matter how compelling and fresh the plot is. They could have gone all out with advertisng the sensationalism of the plot. They knew it wasn't going to be a hit but they did it anyway for some odd reason and that's what's striking to me.

And I thought Power Man and Iron Fist had a big fanbase?

Issue 5 of Nighthawk sold 9,747 copies. That is beyond dismal. Granted, that doesn't even mean 9,747 were bought by readers.... nah, it means that only 9,747 copies were bought by comic book shop owners to put in their stores for us. My comic shop only had about 5 issues available. Which means once those 5 are taken, the book is "sold out".

Once shop owners start drastically pulling the plug on the number of issues they order (which probably happened around issue 3 or 4), there would need to be a shytload of readers asking for back-orders to turn things around... otherwise it's heading straight for cancellation. And if you look at the issue #1 sales, shop owners didn't order too many copies of it to begin with.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
David Walker is in a bad spot partly b/c he gets shytty artists. Doesn't matter how good PM & IF is, that art is trash and no one is going to buy it in bulk unless they're a hardcore fan. His other problem is more subjective bc i just find his story telling to be a bit mediocre. His "jibber jabber" Luke Cage portrayal is whatever to me and while the PM&IF story arcs are "fun"/easy to digest, I simply prefer the introspective sociopolitical commentary in Sam Wilson's book. And it's not like i ever thought of Sam Wilson as more interesting than Luke Cage, but I find the shyt that he's going through more interesting.

I thought Nighthawk had a lot of shock value in how they showed him decimating the white folks. However, as someone who was up on Nighthawk when he first debut 10 years ago in JMS's Supreme Power series... the most captivating parts of Nighthawk actually wasn't when he was breaking limbs.. it was his introspective thoughts on other superheroes and the shyt he said to them.

Case in point, the first time he ever met Hyperion:
uA9w0qV.jpg
nbQPRPK.jpg
2m3iazq.jpg

This was the stuff I was used to, it mirrored Sam Wilson's book in that regard but dialed all the way up. In fact, there was another superhero, a black speedster, who played the 'idealistic' Miles Morales type but in his late teens. The type of shyt NH would say to that young man :wow:

shyt got emotional watchin them snap at each other over their perspectives, b/c NH hit that young man with that real shyt, and prob overstepped his boundaries but did it b/c he wanted that kid to be great. And the kid had a great deal of respect for NH b/c he knew dude was all about black lives. It was A1 story telling.

Dillah810

Flat Girther
Daps
Reppin
Flint, Michigan
David Walker is in a bad spot partly b/c he gets shytty artists. Doesn't matter how good PM & IF is, that art is trash and no one is going to buy it in bulk unless they're a hardcore fan. His other problem is more subjective bc i just find his story telling to be a bit mediocre. His "jibber jabber" Luke Cage portrayal is whatever to me and while the PM&IF story arcs are "fun"/easy to digest, I simply prefer the introspective sociopolitical commentary in Sam Wilson's book. And it's not like i ever thought of Sam Wilson as more interesting than Luke Cage, but I find the shyt that he's going through more interesting.

I thought Nighthawk had a lot of shock value in how they showed him decimating the white folks. However, as someone who was up on Nighthawk when he first debut 10 years ago in JMS's Supreme Power series... the most captivating parts of Nighthawk actually wasn't when he was breaking limbs.. it was his introspective thoughts on other superheroes and the shyt he said to them.

Case in point, the first time he ever met Hyperion:
uA9w0qV.jpg
nbQPRPK.jpg
2m3iazq.jpg

This was the stuff I was used to, it mirrored Sam Wilson's book in that regard but dialed all the way up. In fact, there was another superhero, a black speedster, who played the 'idealistic' Miles Morales type but in his late teens. The type of shyt NH would say to that young man :wow:

shyt got emotional watchin them snap at each other over their perspectives, b/c NH hit that young man with that real shyt, and prob overstepped his boundaries but did it b/c he wanted that kid to be great. And the kid had a great deal of respect for NH b/c he knew dude was all about black lives. It was A1 story telling.
:wow:

Squirtle

Supreme Chancellor
Daps
Reppin
New York
This current Batman Ark, I am Suicide, and Detective Comics arc, when will those be released on trade? They come out so frequently now I think it'll be cheaper to wait. Justice League has been trash so far unfortunately, Deathstroke is awesome though, I'm loving that book.

Daps
Reppin
Latveria
This current Batman Ark, I am Suicide, and Detective Comics arc, when will those be released on trade? They come out so frequently now I think it'll be cheaper to wait. Justice League has been trash so far unfortunately, Deathstroke is awesome though, I'm loving that book.
DC take way too long to release trades