Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

Dusty Bake Activate

Fukk your corny debates
Daps
Yeah I did not expect them to put someone's entire run on the list.

Civil War is pretty polarizing. You either love it or hate it. There are here on the Coli that dislike it as well. Personally, I loved it. Civil War is what got me back into reading comics.
I didn't like that Iron Man who was one of my favorite characters pretty much made a heel turn. I also didn't like the anti-climactic ending. But regardless, it doesn't belong on a top 10 WOAT list alongside trash like Chuck Austen's X-Men, The Clone Saga, and Sins Past.

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You can Love it or Hate it but it doesn't deserve to be on any WORST list. It's at the very least well written and competent.
Exactly I use to be kind of meh to it since I loved iron man and God new Warriors growing up , I was collecting the aegis and bolt run lol . But now almost every event marvel has done recently is worse to me , a vs x and on . It was like I didn't love schism and messiah complex until after a vs x and fear itself :scusthov: I mean I actually look fondly at invasion or whatever it was with the skulls and dark reign then these poorly conceived age of ultron and the battle of the atom . Now civil war is almost a master piece :heh:

Dirty Mcdrawz

Your girl loves em....
Daps
the new secret wars rebooting the marvel universe and combining it with the ultimate universe has me pissed, so cap isnt going to fight in ww2 but in iraq?

:dwillhuh: ultimate cap fought in WW2 too.

:bryan: Somehow I fell 2 months behind :lupe: I have no idea what's going in any of my favelorite comics right now.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
:russ:@them putting Chuck Austen's entire X-Men run up there. It should've been higher on the list. It was atrocious and the fact that it came right after Morrison's legendary work made it even worse.

One More Day and Sins Past were both well-deserved. I don't know why Civil War was up there though.
I didn't watch the video but I would put Austen's short Avengers run up as being even worse than his X-Men run.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
You can Love it or Hate it but it doesn't deserve to be on any WORST list. It's at the very least well written and competent.
It wasn't well written though; Millar had a story written and just crammed characters into roles whether it fit who those characters had historically been presented or not.
It was the definition of plot driven crap at the expense of character.

• Dap
Reactions: TNC

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
I didn't like that Iron Man who was one of my favorite characters pretty much made a heel turn. I also didn't like the anti-climactic ending. But regardless, it doesn't belong on a top 10 WOAT list alongside trash like Chuck Austen's X-Men, The Clone Saga, and Sins Past.

Cap
catching that Snipe action
is anti-climatic?

I don't like how the big fight ended but after that, I think they recovered well.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Cap
is anti-climatic?

I don't like how the big fight ended but after that, I think they recovered well.
Cap's "death" was already planned by Brubaker before Civil War started and he just reworked some stuff in his big Red Skull revenge story to make it fit with the aftermath of that mini-series.

Dusty Bake Activate

Fukk your corny debates
Daps
Cap
is anti-climatic?

That was in a Cap issue after it ended, not the series itself. CW ended with Cap having a mid-battle change of heart and turning himself in. That was anti-climactic.

What I found silly also was that all the anti-registration folks just stopped fighting because Cap gave up. These dudes were literally fighting for their freedom. You think they would all just stop because Cap said so? A lot of them probably didn't even fukk with Cap like that. You think someone like Black Panther would just give because Cap gave the word? Cable?

The fakest part of it all was Namor and the Atlanteans laying down arms after they effectively turned the tide of the battle. They had no stake in surface loyalties and were fighting in the interest of Atlantis. An army from a sovereign underwater civilization wouldn't surrender because a human they don't even know did.

Dusty Bake Activate

Fukk your corny debates
Daps
Exactly I use to be kind of meh to it since I loved iron man and God new Warriors growing up , I was collecting the aegis and bolt run lol . But now almost every event marvel has done recently is worse to me , a vs x and on . It was like I didn't love schism and messiah complex until after a vs x and fear itself :scusthov: I mean I actually look fondly at invasion or whatever it was with the skulls and dark reign then these poorly conceived age of ultron and the battle of the atom . Now civil war is almost a master piece :heh:
Yeah Marvel been lacking with the events lately. Axis was alright if for the fukkery factor alone. Infinity was good.

But Battle of the Atom, Age of Ultron and Original Sin were all weedplates.

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
That was in a Cap issue after it ended, not the series itself. CW ended with Cap having a mid-battle change of heart and turning himself in. That was anti-climactic.

What I found silly also was that all the anti-registration folks just stopped fighting because Cap gave up. These dudes were literally fighting for their freedom. You think they would all just stop because Cap said so? A lot of them probably didn't even fukk with Cap like that. You think someone like Black Panther would just give because Cap gave the word? Cable?

The fakest part of it all was Namor and the Atlanteans laying down arms after they effectively turned the tide of the battle. They had no stake in surface loyalties and were fighting in the interest of Atlantis. An army from a sovereign underwater civilization wouldn't surrender because a human they don't even know did.

I get that shyt mixed up sometimes because I have the online edition where all issues even remotely related to the Civil War is thrown into one big bunch, so I always looked at the Cap issue as the true ending (in my eyes at least). Him waving the white towel then everyone following suit was some fukk shyt though.

But at the same time, it's always been like that with Cap. Good "ole fashioned stars & stripes" fellow who makes you want to sing the National Anthem or do some righteous shyt every time he opens his mouth. I mean, he even punk'd the Punisher throughout the whole thing.

Now, Namor, yeah, he ain't listening to nobody so that was a tad bit unbelievable, but the rest I think would follow in line. Ya know, the whole -- cut off the head and the body will follow adage. Other side would have did the same shyt had Iron Man surrendered.

As far as Black Panther, you might have to refresh my memory -- Wakanda wasn't being threatened was it? I thought him and Storm was just there on behalf of Cap b/c they go way back?