Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Cool. Recommend anything?

Current: Batman and Magneto

Past: Just pick up "big" event or one shot story trades. If you like those stories you'll gradually dive into character books. I recommend:

-Blackest Night
-Infinity Gauntlet (pick up Rebirth of Thanos for back story)
-Batman: Hush
-Batman: Under The Red Hood
-Batman: Dark Knight Returns (art is :trash: but the story is :wow:)
-Watchmen
-Kingdom Come
-Book of Doom (Dr. Doom origin)
-Forever Evil is good for a new age story.
-Justice League: Tower of Babel

Those are the only ones I can recommend off the dome. :ld:

Daps
I like odd shyt.

Superior Spider Man
Witchblade
The Darkness
God Loves, Man Kills graphic Novel
Emperor Doom: Avengers graphic novel
Secret Wars
Thanos Quest
Magneto Testament
Age of Apocalypse

Current: Batman and Magneto

Past: Just pick up "big" event or one shot story trades. If you like those stories you'll gradually dive into character books. I recommend:

-Blackest Night
-Infinity Gauntlet (pick up Rebirth of Thanos for back story)
-Batman: Hush
-Batman: Under The Red Hood
-Batman: Dark Knight Returns (art is :trash: but the story is :wow:)
-Watchmen
-Kingdom Come
-Book of Doom (Dr. Doom origin)
-Forever Evil is good for a new age story.
-Justice League: Tower of Babel

Those are the only ones I can recommend off the dome. :ld:

Thank you, guys. I'll be sure to check it out. :obama::obama:

TNC

Hardbody
Daps
Stupid question.....:whoa:

I want to get into comics. I'm 21. How do I start? Do I just walk into a comic book store (I know a good one a homie used to drag me to) Do I go and pick a superhero and just dive in?

Teach me, brehs. Yo necesito un knowledge. :feedme:

I recommend doing that. It's daunting for a new reader to know what kind of writing or stories they like. I'd say pick 3 characters or titles you are curious about and either get a trade foe each one or ask for definitive runs for each and see what you like

Mortal1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Bay Area
Stupid question.....:whoa:

I want to get into comics. I'm 21. How do I start? Do I just walk into a comic book store (I know a good one a homie used to drag me to) Do I go and pick a superhero and just dive in?

Teach me, brehs. Yo necesito un knowledge. :feedme:
Start off with your favorite characters and I can tell you some of their best stories if you'd like.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Man, I was worried as hell that with the new writer the new Quantum & Woody wouldn't live up to the GOATness of Asmus' work, but he didn't miss a beat. Goddamn new classic.

Mortal1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Bay Area
Spiderman
Batman
Silver Surfer
X-Men
Superman
Shazam
Teen Titans

But any good stuff outside of those heroes, I would like to see.

Spider-man : Marvel Knights Spider-man first 12 issues, Spider-man Blue, Kraven's Last hunt, Spider-man run before One More Day by JMS, Ultimate Spider-man run by Brian Michael Bendis including Miles Morales, Spider-Men, Astonishing Spider-man & Wolverine by Jason Aaron, No One Dies Arc by Dan Slott, Superior Spider-man (very controversial but I think it's dope overall), Spider-Island and check out Spider-Verse it pretty dope so far it's the newest event.

Batman : Batman Year One, Batman INC, Batman & Robin Grant Morrison run, Batman RIP, The Dark Knight Returns, Black Mirror, Arkham Asylum, The Long Halloween, Court of Owls, Death of Family, Zero Year

Silver Surfer: Silver Surfer Parable, Rebirth of Thanos, Requiem

X-Men : Astonishing X-men by Joss Whedon, New X-men by Grant Morrison (it's a love it or hate it run) The Dark Phoenix Saga, Mutant Massacre, Age of Apocalypse, Days of Future Past, God Love Man Kills, X-men Supernovas.

Superman: All-Star Superman, Kingdom Come, For All Seasons, Secret Identity, Birthright

Shazam: Geoff John's New 52 Vol.1 is pretty dope.

Teen Titans : Geoff Johns run

Then there's Daredevil runs by Frank Miller, Brian Michael Bendis, Ed Brubaker and Mark Waid's current run to check out.

Outside of heros check out Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis, Preacher by Garth Ennis, Sandman by Neil Gaiman Y the Last Man by Brian K Vaughn, Bone by Jeff Smith and Hellblazer and there's even more in both categories but this should get you started breh :salute:

Last edited:

Dillah810

Flat Girther
Daps
Reppin
Flint, Michigan
A question that was recently asked on tumblr is "You have to assemble a team to save the world. 5 heroes. They have to be able to respond to any threat. Who do you choose?" and one dude responds with

1. Monet St. Croix - Got super everything, she’s telepathic & has telekenetic powers, and has above genius level intellect
  2. Reed Richards - Smartest guy on the planet. We’re gonna need brains on this operation
  3. The Flash (Barry Allen) - We’re gonna need speed too. Not super speed. Speeeeeed
  4. Blue Marvel - One of the strongest cats in the Marvel universe. Once uppercutted The Sentry into orbit. The Sentry, aka the only guy able to stand up to World War Hulk. The Sentry, aka the guy who literally tore two Gods to shreds in the same day, then handed Thor his own ass before eventually standing down. Blue Marvel punched this guy into orbit. Plus Marvel is stupidly intelligent, so that’ll come in handy
  5. Thor - He can open portals, so that’ll definitely come in handy for infil/exfiltration, plus he’s a goddamn powerhouse of the highest calibre. If that team falls, and he’s the last man standing, we’d still stand a chance
Yall agree that this team could handle ANY threat?

Karume

All Star
Daps
A question that was recently asked on tumblr is "You have to assemble a team to save the world. 5 heroes. They have to be able to respond to any threat. Who do you choose?" and one dude responds with

1. Monet St. Croix - Got super everything, she’s telepathic & has telekenetic powers, and has above genius level intellect
  2. Reed Richards - Smartest guy on the planet. We’re gonna need brains on this operation
  3. The Flash (Barry Allen) - We’re gonna need speed too. Not super speed. Speeeeeed
  4. Blue Marvel - One of the strongest cats in the Marvel universe. Once uppercutted The Sentry into orbit. The Sentry, aka the only guy able to stand up to World War Hulk. The Sentry, aka the guy who literally tore two Gods to shreds in the same day, then handed Thor his own ass before eventually standing down. Blue Marvel punched this guy into orbit. Plus Marvel is stupidly intelligent, so that’ll come in handy
  5. Thor - He can open portals, so that’ll definitely come in handy for infil/exfiltration, plus he’s a goddamn powerhouse of the highest calibre. If that team falls, and he’s the last man standing, we’d still stand a chance
a fairly powerful group, but what if collateral damage is a concern? this group isn't particularly suited for precision strikes IMO

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam

Nah, I like Monet St. Croix, Reed Richards and The Flash but Blue Marvel and Thor are both heavy hitters that could easily be replaced by the original heavy hitter, Superman. Add him and Green Lantern (John or Kyle) instead of them and you got a decent set of all-rounders, who would still be largely useless against magic.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Grayson continues to be great.

Wolf Moon was good...looks like Vertigo might have a hit.

Nailbiter ended weird.