Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Well that's what I was wondering because it sounds you take more of an issue with Reminder's writing than the actual concept of the book. I loved his X-Force and I feel he is great at writing villains that actually matter and do things, but if I can ask... are their any specific points or parts that you take issue with in the series so far?
The concept is good but his writing is meh . he seems to me to have a certain style of writing and it's dark ,death filled, villain turns with plenty of resurrections and fukkery. He also was tone deaf with his characterization of rogue and His mutants get over it nonsense by Wanda and Alex . Wanda had zero business being on the team realistically outside of cap having a hard on for her. The execution has been off seriously ,and his characters are so boring as opposed to xforce , only Thor and hiro entertain me. Havok is super bland in this story as well he just has a bunch of misses

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'll give you that on Rogue's characterization but just about everyone else seems fairly on point to me. And even Rogue's over the top anger and disgust for Wanda makes sense on a certain level. Rogue was one of the X-men extremely distraught over Xavier's death and she is Magneto's lover and a former Avengers villain, now she is in the same house with these people she had no connection with and feels like Wanda is over her shoulder smirking at her. She does have legit reason to dislike Wanda.

And the Apocalypse Twins storyline was EPIC IMO. They actually WON until time fukkery reversed their win. Did you not like that storyline and if so, what about it did you dislike?
Apocalypse twins was meh it started good until I think rogue killed wanda. Wandas plan was ridiculously stupid and I have no idea why she didn't think of the millions of other plAns which were better than bringing all the mutants .

TNC

Hardbody
Daps
That is my other problem, Remender's dialogue is weak as hell to me.

I think he's kinda hit or miss with the dialogue, but his "high" have been more frequent than his "lows" on UA IMO. The group argument with Wanda, Rogue, Wasp, Wonder Man and Shiro.... The Havok/Cap dialogue about Havok telling Cap to basically "man up" against Red Skull's mental infection, Cap going off on Logan about killing... ALL high points on this title IMO. He is having these characters address lingering issues that fans of one or both sides have had on forums for years.

Some of it is touchy subject matter tho because you can basically replace "mutants" with any minority group and the argument is just as valid and if you don't agree with Reminder's politics (kinda Libertarian) you might not like his resolution either.

TNC

Hardbody
Daps
The concept is good but his writing is meh . he seems to me to have a certain style of writing and it's dark ,death filled, villain turns with plenty of resurrections and fukkery. He also was tone deaf with his characterization of rogue and His mutants get over it nonsense by Wanda and Alex . Wanda had zero business being on the team realistically outside of cap having a hard on for her. The execution has been off seriously ,and his characters are so boring as opposed to xforce , only Thor and hiro entertain me. Havok is super bland in this story as well he just has a bunch of misses

Well Havok's speech is basically the summation of a Libertarian's view on minorities or ethnic differences to a tee. I don't necessarily agree with it in real life or in the comic world, but it is a real viewpoint in life so I don't see why it would be rare for a mutant to have it in this fictional world.

Rogue's characterization I completely get, but I sort of give him a pass for it because of the environment the MU is in RIGHT after AvX, RIGHT after Xavier's death, RIGHT after Cyclops's revolutionary turn and a huge divide between mutants, her being on edge MAKES sense.

Wanda's characterization on this has been almost 100% accurate too. She is psychologically scarred regarding mutant issues from her childhood all the way to being a mutant villain and Magneto's daughter. She has ALWAYS been mute on mutant issues, that's why she is the only mutant hero that has never been on an X-Team. Her "Aunt Tomika :lolbron:" characterization is consistent with who she is. It just has never been a major issue because there hasn't been any mutants on the Avengers team besides her and her brother. And Cap allowing her on the team because she asked is consistent with his characterization because Cap ALWAYS gives "his guys" a pass. Cap let's Tony and Hawkeye get away with egregious and downright criminal things because he likes and trusts him. He's BEEN letting Logan harbor criminals and terrorists at his school and Logan's constant disobeying orders because they are all old war buddies. Cap plays favorites and I LOVE that Havok called him out on it.

And Havok is the straight man of the title, he is the one who has to be the mediator for the group turmoil

TNC

Hardbody
Daps
Apocalypse twins was meh it started good until I think rogue killed wanda. Wandas plan was ridiculously stupid and I have no idea why she didn't think of the millions of other plAns which were better than bringing all the mutants .

Man I loved that storyline... and it had continuity with Reminder's work on X-Force and the Apocalypse and Kang lore.

Also, Wanda is no strategist and she DID NOT see the big picture in any of this run. From Rogue's dislike of her and her not understanding it, to complete disregard to the issues mutants faced, her lack of awareness (once again, another consistent trait of hers) was evident and PURPOSEFUL in this title. It was so predictable all the villains KNEW it would happen and planned around it. She's a bad superhero man :russ:

Mortal1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Bay Area
Man I loved that storyline... and it had continuity with Reminder's work on X-Force and the Apocalypse and Kang lore.

Also, Wanda is no strategist and she DID NOT see the big picture in any of this run. From Rogue's dislike of her and her not understanding it, to complete disregard to the issues mutants faced, her lack of awareness (once again, another consistent trait of hers) was evident and PURPOSEFUL in this title. It was so predictable all the villains KNEW it would happen and planned around it. She's a bad superhero man :russ:

When the twins referenced Logan killing their father Angel in Uncanny X-force and how he killed his son Daken. :banderas:

• Dap
Reactions: TNC
Daps
Reppin
Latveria
Continuity at Marvel is a fukking mess and I blame Remender and his useless Editor Tom Brevoort

At least in Hickman's case he doesn't purposely contradict continuity like what Remender is doing right now.

Mortal1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Bay Area
Continuity at Marvel is a fukking mess and I blame Remender and his useless Editor Tom Brevoort

At least in Hickman's case he doesn't purposely contradict continuity like what Remender is doing right now.

Most of Remender's stories take place in other dimensions so it allows him to do whatever to the characters while not massively changing the continuity as a whole his stories hardly have any effect on the continuity as a whole except for a few things Tabla Rusla in X-force, Steve being old now, and the Uncanny Avengers stuff happening now. I'm guessing Hickman's Time Runs Out happens after all of this.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Remender is crap, has been since he started writing for Marvel. He's like Aaron, two guys who might be good on indie's but should never be allowed to write comics with established histories and personalities or any form of continuity because they don't fukking respect it and even as they do it they still can't pull off writing good stories. Meanwhile you got writers like David who not only respect continuity but actually write good stories and editorial keeps messing with their shyt because one of the 'big' writers suddenly has this great idea to turn Gambit into a cyborg serial rapist called Pavlov so David will just have to write him out of the story and throw all his planning into the bushes.

And no, the cyborg rapist isn't a thing but you know damn well you thought about it and realized that it is something Remender or Aaron would do.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
The Rogue-Wanda situation was handled wrong. Rogue wouldn't be on Wanda's ass like that. Emma? Sure....Kitty? Maybe. Rogue...no way. And her line to Magneto comparing him to Skull was Remender having no understanding of their relationship. ..she WOULD NEVER SAY THAT TO MAGNETO. Ever. I legit laughed out loud at her saying he was as bad as Skull. It just doesn't ride coming from Rogue...and also, he wrote Wanda as a crybaby and wanting to please Magneto? Lol. She ain't never wanted to please Magneto. She always forgives him in the end...so that crazy ranting in #25 was not good writing from her pov. It was off brand. Magneto was hilarious though

Lol@Skull being killed instantly makes him Galactus height with Onslaught armor to boot.