Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

Moose_Greyjoy

I DO Not Sow
Daps
Man I hated his Young Avengers

Most of us here read non cape shyt. I'm currently buying Lazarus,Nailbiter (Awesome book) East of West, Rat Queens, Fatale (It just ended) and the bunker. I dropped Sex Criminals the hype really killed that book for me. Speculators usually make me miss the image books by the time I get to my LCS them shyts are sold out and I always forget to preorder.

Bought the first volume of Sex Criminals and felt it was soooooooooooo overrated. I loved the premise and the tone of the book, but the jokes weren't funny to me. White comedy I guess:yeshrug:

notPsychosiz

I started this gangsta sh-
Daps
Reppin
dogbornwolf
You know whats weird... there are actual gods in Marvel & DC but no one worships them. Like, I mean, people go to church or whatever in comics... but why would you go to church and worship a possible god you don't know is real when you saw a real live confirmable god fighting Wonder Woman on the news yesterday? Why not worship him?

Only person that gets a pass is Power Princess/Molly Hayes from Runaways (even though she is like 12 so its meant to be a joke) but she comments once that she worships Thor.

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
You know whats weird... there are actual gods in Marvel & DC but no one worships them. Like, I mean, people go to church or whatever in comics... but why would you go to church and worship a possible god you don't know is real when you saw a real live confirmable god fighting Wonder Woman on the news yesterday? Why not worship him?

Only person that gets a pass is Power Princess/Molly Hayes from Runaways (even though she is like 12 so its meant to be a joke) but she comments once that she worships Thor.

The general populace believes they're just superpowered beings. Think about it. Galactus showed up and was ran off. Who's going to be impressed by a flying man with a hammer who's taking orders from a somewhat human dude with a shield?

But on the same token, they know that The Eternals arent gods but used to be worshipped as such.

notPsychosiz

Daps
Reppin
dogbornwolf
The general populace believes they're just superpowered beings. Think about it. Galactus showed up and was ran off. Who's going to be impressed by a flying man with a hammer who's taking orders from a somewhat human dude with a shield?

But on the same token, they know that The Eternals arent gods but used to be worshipped as such.
I could see that on some levels... but even though I was refering to actual gods like Ares and Hades and Thor, there are certain people that you would think would have entire cults formed fter them, like I bet swamp thing's inbox would be full of wiccan spam for example.

The only person that really gets worshiped is Darkseid, but its done in a way to make it seem like he is a despot instead of a legit god.
I think certain wakandan tribes used to regard the spirit inside Black Panther as a deity but marvel went away from that...

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Only example I can think of is The Church Of Hala.

379266_original.jpg

notPsychosiz

Daps
Reppin
dogbornwolf
Only example I can think of is The Church Of Hala.

379266_original.jpg
First time seeing that panel. I never read Captain Marvel. I used to see the blueskinned one... then he was a chick all of a sudden. And there is this one... and all of there names sound the same but are spelled different. I don't know what writer thinks that is cute but I had enough of that when they made like 3 different hawkman's and gave them all the same name. I wish they'd stop doing that.

Now that I think about it... I think there is a species that worship the Blue Beetle scarab also.

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I could see that on some levels... but even though I was refering to actual gods like Ares and Hades and Thor, there are certain people that you would think would have entire cults formed fter them, like I bet swamp thing's inbox would be full of wiccan spam for example.

The only person that really gets worshiped is Darkseid, but its done in a way to make it seem like he is a despot instead of a legit god.
I think certain wakandan tribes used to regard the spirit inside Black Panther as a deity but marvel went away from that...

Swamp thing has cults.

Marvel kind of shies away from religion.

But like I say, regular folks in Marvel think folks like Herc and Thor are just folks with costumes on.

DC handles "God Worship" differently. Folks like Ares get fed just because people are at war.

It's a holdover from Kirby's work on The New Gods", where so-called gods exist based on people's basic existence.

Their gods exist because people do things that fuel their existence. A god of Wine and Drink would cease to exist if people didn't drink, for example.

Darkseid doesn't represent evil, for instance. He represents absolute ORDER, which is why he has to have worshippers and followers.

notPsychosiz

Daps
Reppin
dogbornwolf
Swamp thing has cults.

Marvel kind of shies away from religion.

But like I say, regular folks in Marvel think folks like Herc and Thor are just folks with costumes on.

DC handles "God Worship" differently. Folks like Ares get fed just because people are at war.

It's a holdover from Kirby's work on The New Gods", where so-called gods exist based on people's basic existence.

Their gods exist because people do things that fuel their existence. A god of Wine and Drink would cease to exist if people didn't drink, for example.

Darkseid doesn't represent evil, for instance. He represents absolute ORDER, which is why he has to have worshippers and followers.
Ah... I didn't know some of that about DC. I read more Marvel.
It always seemed to me like Darkseid wa basically a god himself, but that makes since now because I had completely forgotten that Orien and Mr Miracle and most of his stories revolve aroung Highfather and the new gods. I am so used to associating Darkseid with Superman I forgot his backstory... but its clicking now. He is actually fairly high up on the deity scale because there are people that are minions for him like Despero that are basically worshiped as lesser gods in their own right on their planets.

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Ah... I didn't know some of that about DC. I read more Marvel.
It always seemed to me like Darkseid wa basically a god himself, but that makes since now because I had completely forgotten that Orien and Mr Miracle and most of his stories revolve aroung Highfather and the new gods. I am so used to associating Darkseid with Superman I forgot his backstory... but its clicking now. He is actually fairly high up on the deity scale because there are people that are minions for him like Despero that are basically worshiped as lesser gods in their own right on their planets.

yeah. The original New Gods concept really is a dope philosophical concept, if you think about it.

Highfather's gods represent chaos. And while we are taught to see Chaos as "bad", there can be no creativity or growth without it. Order is a blank sheet of paper or a dark, silent room.

Introduce chaos and you get stuff written on paper, noise and light. But you need orderly chaos for form those sounds into music or letters and stories. or those things combined to get movies and music videos. Either can exist on it's own, but one without the other is nothing but what it is.

Take Mister Miracle. The ultimate escape artist. He really represents the concept of freedom from control.

I'm really not a fan of the stories themselves, because I find them kind of corny. But as a concept? :ohlawd:

notPsychosiz

Daps
Reppin
dogbornwolf
yeah. The original New Gods concept really is a dope philosophical concept, if you think about it.

Highfather's gods represent chaos. And while we are taught to see Chaos as "bad", there can be no creativity or growth without it. Order is a blank sheet of paper or a dark, silent room.

Introduce chaos and you get stuff written on paper, noise and light. But you need orderly chaos for form those sounds into music or letters and stories. or those things combined to get movies and music videos. Either can exist on it's own, but one without the other is nothing but what it is.

Take Mister Miracle. The ultimate escape artist. He really represents the concept of freedom from control.

I'm really not a fan of the stories themselves, because I find them kind of corny. But as a concept? :ohlawd:
I think the execution could have been better but he had a good idea. Alot of it never went anywhere like the concept of the gods looking at the non-powered people as 'bugs' (unless I didn't read enough... I stopped after awhile) but Jack Kirby is one of the best. The femmale furies are also done well, but they are always just henchwomen. They never really expanded on them enough. In DC its like only the bigger charachters would have their own motivations and backstories.

DC is basically JLA/U, Teen Titans, and everyone else exists to support them.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I think the execution could have been better but he had a good idea. Alot of it never went anywhere like the concept of the gods looking at the non-powered people as 'bugs' (unless I didn't read enough... I stopped after awhile) but Jack Kirby is one of the best. The femmale furies are also done well, but they are always just henchwomen. They never really expanded on them enough. In DC its like only the bigger charachters would have their own motivations and backstories.

DC is basically JLA/U, Teen Titans, and everyone else exists to support them.
There have been stories where the Female Furies have been expanded on and shown to have their own motivations. Most of them are just obsessed with taking over the FF and just spend most of their time screwing each other over.

My favorite example is when Lashina got betrayed by Bernadeth and became stuck on Earth with amnesiaso she adopted the identity of Duchess so she could join The Suicide Squad. Over time her memory came back and she began planning on using the Squad as cannon fodder while she invaded Apokolips to kill Bernadeth and take control of the Furies. That was one of my favorite Suicide Squad story archs. And the way Darkseid ends the entire situation is just :mjlol:.

notPsychosiz

Daps
Reppin
dogbornwolf
There have been stories where the Female Furies have been expanded on and shown to have their own motivations. Most of them are just obsessed with taking over the FF and just spend most of their time screwing each other over.

My favorite example is when Lashina got betrayed by Bernadeth and became stuck on Earth with amnesiaso she adopted the identity of Duchess so she could join The Suicide Squad. Over time her memory came back and she began planning on using the Squad as cannon fodder while she invaded Apokolips to kill Bernadeth and take control of the Furies. That was one of my favorite Suicide Squad story archs. And the way Darkseid ends the entire situation is just :mjlol:.
Thanks, I'll look into that. I like the furies. I like them and Granny Goodness... but I don't really care for Kalabak and Stephen Wolf at all, or the army general looking dude with the monocle. And I'm starting to hate the parademons cause they are throwaway villains. They are never gonna defeat anyone or do anything useful, all they ever do is stall heroes so Darkseid can escape back to his planet. Lame as hell.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
The Original Blue & Gold Team Are Back!

6WPgZpz.jpg

Keith Giffen: Yes! Booster Gold and Blue Beetle are coming to Justice League 3000, as of issue #12.

I’m not going to keep this a secret anymore. I mean, if Beetle and Booster are coming back, we should scream it from the rooftops, right? Maybe more people will buy it who are Beetle and Booster fans, and not be surprised and miss the issue. So I’m not really big on hiding stuff anymore.

Nrama: Now wait a minute, which Blue Beetle and Booster Gold are these?

Giffen: They’re J.M. DeMatteis and my Blue Beetle and Booster Gold.

Our Blue Beetle never got shot in the head. He never split from Booster Gold.

The last memories these two clowns have is that Max was mad at them. Then they woke up in a refrigerator on Takron-Galtos. It’s our Justice League.

Nrama: So are they parasites, like the other Justice League 3000 members?

Giffen: No, no. It’s Beetle and Booster. This is them. Basically, a cryogenic chamber is found on Takron-Galtos while they’re excavating, and inside are Beetle and Booster. It’s Ted and Michael. It’s really, really them. It’s not clones. It’s not the parasite thing.

It’s not a trick. It’s not an imaginary story.

Nrama: But… those characters are from before the New 52 reboot.

Giffen: That’s right. So what does that have to say about what universe Justice League 3000 is taking place on? Maybe a universe where, if you went back and looked at Superman in the 21st Century, he might be wearing his underpants on the outside.