Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What are ya'll getting?
PREVIEWSworld | Comic Book, Graphic Novel and Pop-Culture Merchandise News, Previews, Release Dates and More - New Releases

Me:
STK472000.jpg

The year is 1967 and Godzilla is on the move... to Vietnam! With a war underway, Godzilla is the last thing the country needs. Lieutenant Murakami follows Godzilla to try out some new tech on the monster, but a super-sized foe named Anguirus might just be the most effective counter-measure. It's a rumble in the jungle, don't miss it!

STK472002.jpg

Boxer and his team decide it's time to turn their sights to the big game-Godzilla! A perfect plan goes awry when a billionaire adventurer gets his hands on Mechagodzilla. The result? Utter monster mayhem!

STK472807.jpg

Grifter

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Watching
it funny on AvX how the phoenix five pretty much solved all the world problems and the avengers still had a beef...everybody was like "there doing things right so whats the problem :manny:..but cap got his George bush on and still though they were walking WMD's

They started eating people.

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Cyclops as the Phoenix did absolutely nothing wrong until issue #11 when he killed Xavier and that only happened because Xavier was gonna turn his mind off, it was actually self defense and Cyclops asked him repeatedly to not force his hand.

The major issue about AvX is that the Avengers are being written as the good guys when they have done nothing to help the situation throughout the entire story. They started the war with the X-Men, they tried to kidnap Hope, they were the ones who broke the Phoenix up into 5 parts for imperfect hosts and when they did positive things with the Phoenix Force, they kept attacking them for no reason and poking the bear until they decided to fight back. Cap and Iron Man have really become "The Authority" of the Marvel Universe
:ehh:

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
AvX was sort of like House of M....in the sense that the "heroes" were busting their ass to put shyt back to normal in a situation that was better than what they were originally dealing with...

shyt is like killing the guy who cured cancer because you disagreed with him using animal test subject to do it.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah I guess they like their lives as jacked up like everybody else but then again it marvel they take pride in having characters with messed up lives

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Cyclops as the Phoenix did absolutely nothing wrong until issue #11 when he killed Xavier and that only happened because Xavier was gonna turn his mind off, it was actually self defense and Cyclops asked him repeatedly to not force his hand.

The major issue about AvX is that the Avengers are being written as the good guys when they have done nothing to help the situation throughout the entire story. They started the war with the X-Men, they tried to kidnap Hope, they were the ones who broke the Phoenix up into 5 parts for imperfect hosts and when they did positive things with the Phoenix Force, they kept attacking them for no reason and poking the bear until they decided to fight back. Cap and Iron Man have really become "The Authority" of the Marvel Universe

C/S 100%

While I never cared much for the major push cyclops got as 'mutant savior' these past few years, he just got screwed over bad with the character assassination. At least pending # 12.

And yea, the series itself never did a good job of outlining what exactly the x-men did that was so wrong. It just cut to the avengers attacking them on some bitter sore loser shyt, like its not cool all the good yall just brought to the world and we aren't gonna try to work with you because its still fukk you over the Hope situation and we aint never letting that go until we prove we was right.. because we're always right :birdman:

mind you, i thought the series was too sloppy/dumbed down by the point it got to the P5 that I stopped reading the supplementary/tie in issues (i ignored avengers/new avengers, and only read uncanny sparringly) so if those issues better explained it (as in, what fukkery were the P5 doing BEFORE the Avengers attacked them), then ok.. but that shyt should have been showcased in the main series. W/o, its just comes across like more of the same plot stupidity

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Hedorah and Space Godzilla with James Stokoe doing the art :wow:

Half Century War #3
gojira03cover.jpg

Half Century War #4
tumblr_mainuargAS1qf1pjzo1_500.jpg

I hope the sales are strong for the upcoming issues because I really like what IDW is doing with the licence, and would like them to renew it when it expires.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
I think Gillen did excellent cover ground work on the tie in issues...his issue MUDERED the Bendis Xavier death one. Looking forward to Uncanny Avengers....Bishop is returning as a villain the Psylocke and Storm version of X Force....fukk Cable but I do like Domino...Im fiending for an update on the Extinction team survivors and I think Magneto is coming out of this stuff OK. Brevoort already hinted hell EVENTUALLY show up in Uncanny Avengers and it seems theyll be hunting the Cable crew too.

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
That Avengers Arena book looks stupid as fukk and for the life of me I don't see how that is sustainable as a ongoing series.

And regarding the AvX mini-series...I know they advertised it as being a group writing effort but the entire story has read like the sloppy bullshyt Bendis has been churning out in every Marvel event going back to House of M. The fact that the main series is a complete clusterfukk yet the ancillary tie in books not written by Bendis are better written and give clearer motivation to the characters just seems to prove that this is a Bendis production.

DMR

Killa
Daps
Its not only Bendis, I believe Aaron and Fraction had a hand into making this event into big pile of bullshyt. Oh and they didnt have to think very hard - look at latest marvel events: everybody thor, everybody hulk, everybody spider-man now its almost everybody phoenix :comeon:

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Godzilla #5 was okay, nothing special happened.
Half Century War #2 was :wow: yet again.

Here is a review of HCW 2:
After a strong start, it's make or break time for James Stokoe's Godzilla: The Half-Century War as to if the series can maintain the momentum it started. Thankfully, the issue not only passes the mark, but exceeds with a second issue that is even more enjoyable than the first as Stokoe shows incredible talent doing both the writing and art duties for the comic.

The story begins in Vietnam in 1967, two years after US forces began deployment in the Vietnam War. Lieutenant Ota Murakami, as part of the Anti Megalosaurus Forces (AMF), is pursuing Godzilla in a helicopter, trying to figure why the monster has invaded Vietnam after attacking Japan so repeatedly in the past. Getting ahead of the monster, Murakami meets up with fellow solider Kentaro Yoshihara as they listen in on the American's plan of attack against the monster. AMF has their own plan, having deployed Maser Tanks to the area. However, the problem is larger than either force realizes, as the periodic earthquakes hitting the area are not simply Godzilla advancing...

Plot wise, the comic's setting is inspiring, taking Godzilla to a time and place that is totally unique to the franchise. With such a destructive creature, why not throw him into a modern day battlefield? The Vietnam War backdrop is an excellent choice for the source material, and Stokoe's nods to existing Toho continuity, such as the Anti Megalosaurus Forces from Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (2002,) are welcomed. Now, please stop reading if you want to avoid spoilers, as I will hold no punches from here on out. With that said, the earthquakes are actually Anguirus burrowing underground, very similar to how the monster did in Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974). The creature emerges and engages Godzilla. It takes a certain kind of artist to capture a conflict in a comic. I was disappointed in Godzilla #4 last month for faltering in giving energy to the Rodan vs. Titanosaurus battle. However, Stokoe knows how to stage and draw a fight, with each panel giving a sense of adrenaline to the knock down battle. The detail in the art and being able to capture that right chemistry in making the conflict flow between panels makes this a joy to read. Interestingly, Anguirus is modeled after the version from Godzilla: Final Wars (2004) rather than the more popular Showa appearance, but right after one sees the creature's impressive entrance in the comic they are sold on this being the right choice for the story.

In regards to the covers, the one by James Stokoe gives a great image of Godzilla being bombed by the American forces while troops evacuate below. The other cover by Sheldon Vella is probably the stronger of the two, creating a sharp image with its use of reds and purples, although it does spoil the use of Anguirus in the story

Overall, everyone should be checking out The Half-Century War. If you have picked up most of the Godzilla comics, or are relatively new to the King of the Monsters in the medium, Godzilla fans won't be disappointed as Stokoe continues to craft one of the most interesting stories involving the nuclear menace.
the first eight pages Godzilla: The Half-Century War #2 from IDW Publishing - Reviews, Credits, and Discussion
and the first seven from issue 1 http://io9.com/5931588/this-is-probably-the-best+looking-godzilla-comic-youve-ever-read

polosounds

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Really looking forward to that new avengers book with iron man reed black bolt n black panther...panther needs more shine