Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
I like Bendis run. I liked his street level Spidey/Cap/Wolverine angle....with Echo. I liked the handful of Moench issues I owned, LOVED the Huston/Finch stuff. I was just getting back into comics after a 6-year layoff, and it was one of the best books at the time. I dropped Ellis' run about halfway through. It was taking too long for me to get somewhere for me. I have not picked up the current run, but I probably will

I got Ellis 2nd because

1. It introduces stuff like Mr. Knight and bird head jerk nikka Khonshu as opposed to Khonshu being a statue

2. By that point, Ellis was in full "I'm writing this for TV" mode. Easily digestible episodic almost self contained wide screen action stories. Honestly if you took away the Mr. Knight and Khonshu stuff, it's Ellis writing a PG-13 Midnighter series.

Houston/Finch is... IMO, what people who don't know the character imagine what Moon Knight to be.... but done INCREDIBLY well.

The current run is a mixture of both, but adds more supernatural weirdness (and a supporting cast) that the character had been missing since like the 80s. And story arcs.

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Do you know that kid in the last panel?

I didn't.

That was too obscure even for me.

Honestly I didn't like this issue, But I appreciate DC running this thread in the background. It made me go back and finish Justice League Incarnate

And it looks like the biggest level of fukkery in DC since that page in Sinestro Corps War

I will point out that the computer on the first splash page is (most likely) an IBM 5100

Ibm5100_2297950254.jpg

It's a key component in the internet/conspiracy "John Titor" time travel mythos. John Titor - Wikipedia

The modem ties it into the anime/manga Steins;Gate.

Last edited:

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
I didn't.

That was too obscure even for me.

Honestly I didn't like this issue, But I appreciate DC running this thread in the background. It made me go back and finish Justice League Incarnate

And it looks like the biggest level of fukkery in DC since that page in Sinestro Corps War

I will point out that the computer on the first splash page is (most likely) an IBM 5100

Ibm5100_2297950254.jpg

It's a key component in the internet/conspiracy "John Titor" time travel mythos. John Titor - Wikipedia

The modem ties it into the anime/manga Steins;Gate.
I heard of the guy, but what’s the connection to the hardware?

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I heard of the guy, but what’s the connection to the hardware?

It has some component that could translate one computer code to another. John Titor supposedly needed one to be able to return to the future, since no other computer could do it.

Steins;Gate had its characters not physically time travel, but transfer their consciousness to a version of themselves in another timeline using said computer, the phone/modem, a microwave and a banana (IIRC).

Not saying it'll weigh in on the story, just may be a cool Easter egg.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
You like DC fukkery way more than I do breh. After Three Jokers and Doomsday Clock I ain't giving Johns another shot :francis:
Both of those were meh. I fukks with Elseworlds shyt and the Batman FP universe was a different, interesting take on the character. That’s why I’m reading this series.

I’m not even a Johns stan, but I’ve enjoyed most of his work that I read. :ld: