Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:stopitslime:

Marvel not owning the X-Men movie rights made the Avengers Marvel's franchise team.

Pretty much....

Bendis Avengers became the premier team because the company wanted it that way.

They put Spider-Man and Wolverine on the team, hyped the hell out of the first issue, and made them the focus of every major event after House of M.

Despite what they claim these comic book companies KNOW how to force shyt when they want to.

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps
Bendis gets flack because his writing on Avengers is shytty.
I like Ultimate Spiderman, Powers is still good and his current X-Men stuff is much better than I expected it to be so far but the guy is only slightly less awful than Chuck Austen when it comes to writing the Avengers.
And so far his Guardians of the Galaxy is ass too.

I understand if you personally do not like bendis writing style but i think your are in a vocal minority. Bendis brought avengers to the top 10 of comic book sales when before him the only time the avengers was even close to that is if the xmen involved in there stories.

He did a fresh take on characters that were getting pretty stale by mid 90's and early 2000's made them interesting again.

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps
Pretty much....

Bendis Avengers became the premier team because the company wanted it that way.

They put Spider-Man and Wolverine on the team, hyped the hell out of the first issue, and made them the focus of every major event after House of M.

Despite what they claim these comic book companies KNOW how to force shyt when they want to.

true but if it was shyt as people claim would it be one of the top books 10 years strong.

Daps
Reppin
Latveria
I just got issue #100 of Ultimate Comics X-Men at the used books store for $0.50

I open it up and find out Mark Brooks signed it with the certificate of Authenticity in it :waynehah:

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
true but if it was shyt as people claim would it be one of the top books 10 years strong.

Just because something is a financial success doesn't mean it's good.

The Twightlight books and films do huge numbers but they shyt.

Three and a Half Men was one of the highest rated TV shows for a long time despite being mediocre at best.

Jeph's Loeb's Hulk and Ultimatum were top selling comics also.

Look i'm not NEARLY as down on Bendis' Avengers work as others are, but his tendency to pad story arcs, fukk up characterization, and retcon his own shyt is just bad storytelling.

There are obviously people who like his work, but lets not pretend as if Marvel didn't do everything possible to make sure Bendis work on Avengers sold. Funny how during that same period Bendis name and writing couldn't keep that bullshyt Spider-Woman book afloat. That was because Marvel didn't push it NEARLY as hard as they did Bendis Avengers run.

Like I said the company made a decided effort to make the Avengers Marvel's top franchise. In fact I think Joe Q and other editors flat out admitted that a few times over the years.

Dirty Mcdrawz

Your girl loves em....
Daps
How popular was avengers before bendis? I am sorry Spiderman and wolverine can only carry you so far especially when they had 4-5 books of there own they were in.

honestly, imo the reason why the avengers is popular today is because of wolverine's and spiderman's inclusion on the team. add a few obscure characters and :ohhh: big events of course sales will be good. :manny: the only problem i have with bendis is that his dialogue and characterizations are"bendis like". his style of characterizations don't work outside of street level characters.....imo

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
How popular was avengers before bendis? I am sorry Spiderman and wolverine can only carry you so far especially when they had 4-5 books of there own they were in.

They never pushed the book at their flagship title before that point. It was always a popular title but they NEVER pushed it as one of their top books.

*edit*

You also have to take into consideration how comics sales are measured. They're not judged by how many comics consumers buy, they judged by how many comics the retailers buy. retailers buy the comics that they THINK are going to sell the best in their stores and sometimes the companies will cut retailers special deals to move more of a particular comic.

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps
Just because something is a financial success doesn't mean it's good.

The Twightlight books and films do huge numbers but they shyt.

Three and a Half Men was one of the highest rated TV shows for a long time despite being mediocre at best.

Jeph's Loeb's Hulk and Ultimatum were top selling comics also.

Look i'm not NEARLY as down on Bendis' Avengers work as others are, but his tendency to pad story arcs, fukk up characterization, and retcon his own shyt is just bad storytelling.

There are obviously people who like his work, but lets not pretend as if Marvel didn't do everything possible to make sure Bendis work on Avengers sold. Funny how during that same period Bendis name and writing couldn't keep that bullshyt Spider-Woman book afloat. That was because Marvel didn't push it NEARLY as hard as they did Bendis Avengers run.

Like I said the company made a decided effort to make the Avengers Marvel's top franchise. In fact I think Joe Q and other editors flat out admitted that a few times over the years.

Ohh they did decide with House of M and if people do not like his writing style we all have our own tastes but to people who say he made avengers shyt i have to call fowl. shytty comic books do not last and if Bendis was as terrible as people claim he would have been kicked out off avenges a long time ago. Look at spiderman during that time when house of M happened. The only constant writer was JMS all the other titles had writers going through the spiderman books like nothing. Spiderman was popular as shyt during this time but they didn't keep on any shytty writers on those other books just because they sold alright.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ohh they did decide with House of M and if people do not like his writing style we all have our own tastes but to people who say he made avengers shyt i have to call fowl. shytty comic books do not last and if Bendis was as terrible as people claim he would have been kicked out off avenges a long time ago. Look at spiderman during that time when house of M happened. The only constant writer was JMS all the other titles had writers going through the spiderman books like nothing. Spiderman was popular as shyt during this time but they didn't keep on any shytty writers on those other books just because they sold alright.

You're still conflating financial success with quality.

Nobody is arguing that Bendis work wasn't popular or that it didn't sell well (by today's standards at least). The quality of his work on Avengers is middling at best. Like someone else said earlier, there is other work by Bendis that people LOVE. You'd be hard pressed to find someone who dislikes Powers, his Daredevil run, or Ultimate Spider-Man.

And some things aren't just a matter of taste. Bendis drops plot lines that he started for no reason and disregards continuity. I actually like All New X-men and Uncanny Avengers, but it's stupid for Bendis to have the Stepford Cuckoos acting like they've never met Jean Grey before when they attended the School while Jean was still alive and had multiple interactions with her.

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps
honestly, imo the reason why the avengers is popular today is because of wolverine's and spiderman's inclusion on the team. add a few obscure characters and :ohhh: big events of course sales will be good. :manny: the only problem i have with bendis is that his dialogue and characterizations are"bendis like". his style of characterizations don't work outside of street level characters.....imo

Could be :manny:
I think it was because of the events and the neutering of the xmen.

They never pushed the book at their flagship title before that point. It was always a popular title but they NEVER pushed it as one of their top books.

*edit*

You also have to take into consideration how comics sales are measured. They're not judged by how many comics consumers buy, they judged by how many comics the retailers buy. retailers buy the comics that they THINK are going to sell the best in their stores and sometimes the companies will cut retailers special deals to move more of a particular comic.

yeah I did but i also took in his longevity. If the books did not sell then retailers would not order so much of them.

Also before avengers Amazing Spiderman was marvel Flagship comic. (you could make the case for uncanny x-men but they didn't really become insanely popular until the late 80's)

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps
You're still conflating financial success with quality.

Nobody is arguing that Bendis work wasn't popular or that it didn't sell well (by today's standards at least). The quality of his work on Avengers is middling at best. Like someone else said earlier, there is other work by Bendis that people LOVE. You'd be hard pressed to find someone who dislikes Powers, his Daredevil run, or Ultimate Spider-Man.

And some things aren't just a matter of taste. Bendis drops plot lines that he started for no reason and disregards continuity. I actually like All New X-men and Uncanny Avengers, but it's stupid for Bendis to have the Stepford Cuckoos acting like they've never met Jean Grey before when they attended the School while Jean was still alive and had multiple interactions with her.

I just see quality as a matter of taste really. I personally think he did a good job considering ever since he was on that series he had to deal with the next marvel big event and could barely tell his own avenges stories. I am not reading xmen right now so i can not comment on what he is doing over there. But i do feel your pain when an writer just disregards continuity. (or just makes it up in the case of spiderman)