Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

richaveli83

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, Texas but living in Houston, Texas
:patrice:

Beast don't give a fukk about being a heel :dead:

E-xhGJdXMAs7B4J

I miss the old Beast. :francis::unimpressed:

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City
I mean I get why Hickman is leaving for the Indy route again. For as good as he is as a writer, none of his ideas have been made into a movie yet, and that is where the money is. Tying himself down to Marvel for a 5 year extension (maybe more) run is bullshyt when it sounds like he wanted to do a solid 2-3 year reboot and move on. Similar to what he did for Time runs out and the FF. It’s just his X-Men take is too good to not keep longer than planned,

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
I mean I get why Hickman is leaving for the Indy route again. For as good as he is as a writer, none of his ideas have been made into a movie yet, and that is where the money is. Tying himself down to Marvel for a 5 year extension (maybe more) run is bullshyt when it sounds like he wanted to do a solid 2-3 year reboot and move on. Similar to what he did for Time runs out and the FF. It’s just his X-Men take is too good to not keep longer than planned,

They've taken elements of his work for movies but the problem is there's no bag to be had with it. To your point, you gotta fully own your work.

i.e. Thanos's Black Order is entirely Hickman's creation iirc but he ain't getting more than $5k per movie they're in. Depending on the fine print maybe it can be $5k per character.

The battle in Wakanda vs Thanos troops from Infinity War was also Hickman's idea from his Avengers' run, and in 10 years I'm sure Secret Wars will be based on his iteration.. but the most he'll get is a movie premiere ticket and maybe another 5k if they use black swan or something

Wargames

Daps
Reppin
New York City
They've taken elements of his work for movies but the problem is there's no bag to be had with it. To your point, you gotta fully own your work.

i.e. Thanos's Black Order is entirely Hickman's creation iirc but he ain't getting more than $5k per movie they're in. Depending on the fine print maybe it can be $5k per character.

The battle in Wakanda vs Thanos troops from Infinity War was also Hickman's idea from his Avengers' run, and in 10 years I'm sure Secret Wars will be based on his iteration.. but the most he'll get is a movie premiere ticket and maybe another 5k if they use black swan or something
He’s been the best Marvel writer for years now but like you said where is the money in that? If anything he is too creative. He needs to tone it down like Warren Ellis did with Red to get a studio to bite. Mark Millar has three movie series off of his work because most his ideas involve normal people with guns.

Last edited:

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile

Sad but true. Even in this last interview he said that one of the few things he regrets is the pace the X-line ended up having. He wanted shyt to be more frantic and move faster. He clearly wanted out by 2022 and he realized there was no way that was going to be possible.

This whole Krakoa stuff doesn't fit the MCU at all (unless it's still a thing in 20 more years, lol). I think it's best suited for an animated series but who knows if it's ever picked up.

Ps: It's also crazy how Mike Carey and Gillen were invited to be part of Krakoa but schedules didn't let it happen. Would kill for one of them to come back in January :feedme:

Last edited:

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%

Wargames

Daps
Reppin
New York City
Sad but true. Even in this last interview he said that one of the few things he regrets is the pace the X-line ended up having. He wanted shyt to be more frantic and move faster. He clearly wanted out by 2022 and he realized there was no way that was going to be possible.

This whole Krakoa stuff doesn't fit the MCU at all (unless it's still a thing in 20 more years, lol). I think it's best suited for an animated series but who knows if it's ever picked up.

Ps: It's also crazy how Mike Carey and Gillen were invited to be part of Krakoa but schedules didn't let it happen. Would kill for one of them to come back in January :feedme:

Definitely on the pace. I re-read house of X/power or X and it’s lightning fast. I definitely think his idea involved nimrod and the children of the vault getting together and that being the Mutant Ragnarok. House of swords creates the cavalry who comes in to save the day and then after, there is a new status quo. Now we getting Sabretooth books……

I actually think it fits better than utopia. It never sat right with me that the others heroes left them for dead at their lowest point. fukk team dynamics, at worst they were colleagues and based on the comics they were friends with the other heroes. AVX was a dynamic change that felt more based on the movie issues than the actual continuity before it. Whereas in Krakoa you can see why they aren’t fukking with each other heavy.

Last edited:

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
A new issue of Nightwing is out today. You know what that means. :lupe:

People on Twitter calling Tom Taylor 'ableist' for storylines that happened before he even started writing for DC. :unimpressed: