Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
If they don't reveal that Dark Beast has been running around masquerading as Beast for the last decade then all of this will be just absolute bullshyt. Because the character assassination of Beast that the X-writers have done is fukking trash.

When did the turn happen editorially? I honestly don't remember reading a legit likeable version of Beast in the last decade. I don't think I liked him the Messiah Complex era either and that's even farther back.

My two favorite books swapping writers
:ohhh::wow:

Oh shyt, nice swap tbh :leon:

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
When did the turn happen editorially? I honestly don't remember reading a legit likeable version of Beast in the last decade. I don't think I liked him the Messiah Complex era either and that's even farther back.
I think it was back when the decision was made to make Cyclops stop being a boring plank of wood and become super edgy that the decision was also made to make Beast his foil who would nag Cyclops about everything and he eventually as turned into an overly serious hypocritical dikkbag.

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've been reading 20-40 single issues a day all week to try to get caught up before things reopen this summer.

That Mal Duncan and Bumblebee issue of The Other History of the DC Universe hurt my heart. :mjcry: Not even from the racial aspect, but because those are two characters that were largely forgotten about by most readers, and the book portrays them as two people who were forgotten about in-universe too. :sadcam: I know they still pop up from time to time, especially Bumblebee, but I can't remember the last notable thing they did in-continuity. Bumblebee is in DC Superhero Girls, but what was the last major thing Mal Duncan was used in? Young Justice season two, a decade ago?

You really feel for Mal Duncan as someone who wanted to be a top superhero, but was constantly sidelined and forgotten about and ultimately surpassed by his wife, but even she was barely notable. To the point where they both just said fukk it, I guess we'll start a family or some shyt. :wow:

It just speaks to you on a personal level. Black, white or otherwise, everybody wants to do something great with their life, but most of us are destined to a life of mediocrity. :to:

Also, New Mutants was probably one of my least favorite X-Books when it started, but it shot up to one of my favorites post X of Swords. Everything about the Shadow King storyline and how it plays into the Crucible is absolutely brilliant, and it gives a great look into a darker part of Krakoan society: "Yeah, we're in a mutant paradise, but I just want to look like myself again, and everybody's telling me to shut the fukk up even though they can all pass for humans." It's almost an entirely different book, but a much better one than it was before.

Last edited:

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
Also, New Mutants was probably one of my least favorite X-Books when it started, but it shot up to one of my favorites post X of Swords. Everything about the Shadow King storyline and how it plays into the Crucible is absolutely brilliant, and it gives a great look into a darker part of Krakoan society: "Yeah, we're in a mutant paradise, but I just want to look like myself again, and everybody's telling me to shut the fukk up even though they can all pass for humans." It's almost an entirely different book, but a much better one than it was before.

Vita Ayala revived that book from the grave :wow: I hope it's selling better.

parallax

Superstar
Daps
I've been reading 20-40 single issues a day all week to try to get caught up before things reopen this summer.

That Mal Duncan and Bumblebee issue of The Other History of the DC Universe hurt my heart. :mjcry: Not even from the racial aspect, but because those are two characters that were largely forgotten about by most readers, and the book portrays them as two people who were forgotten about in-universe too. :sadcam: I know they still pop up from time to time, especially Bumblebee, but I can't remember the last notable thing they did in-continuity. Bumblebee is in DC Superhero Girls, but what was the last major thing Mal Duncan was used in? Young Justice season two, a decade ago?

You really feel for Mal Duncan as someone who wanted to be a top superhero, but was constantly sidelined and forgotten about and ultimately surpassed by his wife, but even she was barely notable. To the point where they both just said fukk it, I guess we'll start a family or some shyt. :wow:

It just speaks to you on a personal level. Black, white or otherwise, everybody wants to do something great with their life, but most of us are destined to a life of mediocrity. :to:

I feel that way about a few characters. It makes me wish they were just in the background doing their own thing while the focus was on other characters/teams, but then you see them again and either they've been going through it some way, or straight up forgotten, and in DC's case, lost in the multiverse ether. Empress should have been a bigger character I feel, but it's like she never happened, and son of vulcan seemed to have a lot going for him, including two different groups of villains to deal with, but they ended his series, turned him into a homeless drifter, and benched him and lagoon boy to get that lame ass power boy out of the paint.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Beast is in terrible need of a character redemption. Good lord he's insufferable.
The story is very easy...the a$$hole that has been in the X-books for the past decade is Dark Beast; the real Beast has been locked up somewhere; have him break out and confront Dark Beast then realize that he doesn't belong with a group of people who are supposed to be his family but just were like :manny: as he repeatedly behaved completely out of character and then move the character over to the Avengers full time and only have him show up in the X-books as a guest star every so often.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
What does it all mean?!?!?!?:ohhh:

E3DvulFWYAQf-Fc

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
The story is very easy...the a$$hole that has been in the X-books for the past decade is Dark Beast; the real Beast has been locked up somewhere; have him break out and confront Dark Beast then realize that he doesn't belong with a group of people who are supposed to be his family but just were like :manny: as he repeatedly behaved completely out of character and then move the character over to the Avengers full time and only have him show up in the X-books as a guest star every so often.

If that were to happen people would say it makes no sense how Dark Beast was able to supplant the real Beast as he constantly deals with telepaths and people that would know something was up :mjlol: Just embrace Hank became an a$$hole and has to pay for his sins.

Last edited:

WhenWeWereKings

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Re read Hickman's X-Men run yesterday and it definitely reads better as a whole. It's actually really good.

But monthly it just seems....lacking. like something is missing.

But as I've been constantly saying the x villains have been the saving grace of this whole reboot.

Hickman definitely seems to love Apocalypse alot and writes him extremely well.

Between the Hellions shenanigans, the Shadow King issues of New Mutants, Sebastian Shaw's earlier appearances (he's been relegated to background status now), Fabian Cortez in SWORD etc they've all been a joy to read in this new dynamic.

We definitely need more of zealot Exodus and the stand alone Vulcan issue was good.

..and we need a follow up as to what Mikhail Rasputin is doin..

Of course Mystique gearing up to toss over the whole board is intriguing.

But it's curious we've seen no Selene doing anything yet. I wonder if that is by design.

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
Re read Hickman's X-Men run yesterday and it definitely reads better as a whole. It's actually really good.

But monthly it just seems....lacking. like something is missing.

But as I've been constantly saying the x villains have been the saving grace of this whole reboot.

Hickman definitely seems to love Apocalypse alot and writes him extremely well.

Between the Hellions shenanigans, the Shadow King issues of New Mutants, Sebastian Shaw's earlier appearances (he's been relegated to background status now), Fabian Cortez in SWORD etc they've all been a joy to read in this new dynamic.

We definitely need more of zealot Exodus and the stand alone Vulcan issue was good.

..and we need a follow up as to what Mikhail Rasputin is doin..

Of course Mystique gearing up to toss over the whole board is intriguing.

But it's curious we've seen no Selene doing anything yet. I wonder if that is by design.

I kinda think. Selene being a lukewarm Captain America villain fukked up any chances of Selene being taken seriously

When honestly, the mere fact she showed up in Captain America should have been a MAJOR plot point as far as human/mutant relations go

WhenWeWereKings

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I kinda think. Selene being a lukewarm Captain America villain fukked up any chances of Selene being taken seriously

When honestly, the mere fact she showed up in Captain America should have been a MAJOR plot point as far as human/mutant relations go

That story was so forgettable I honestly didn't even remember it.