Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Copped another omni, Wolverine with a sweet cover. :whew:

OCT191089.jpg

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This new Green Lantern that just dropped today did not do it for me at all. I'm fairly interested in the direction it's going in, and I love Dexter Soy's art, but the issue itself was kind of boring to me. Maybe it's because I read it right after Batman, which was also a very exposition-heavy issue, and two of those back to back had me like :snooze:

I'll stick with it for a few more issues, but I already see it having the same problem I see Teen Titans Academy having, which is they're already trying to do way the fukk too much in only one 22-page monthly book.

There's that poll DC is doing to select which new book gets published, and one of them was a Kyle/Kilowog book. As a Kyle stan, that's the one I want to see published, but the alphabet brigade is gonna spam the poll so that Justice League Queer wins. :francis:

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
This new Green Lantern that just dropped today did not do it for me at all. I'm fairly interested in the direction it's going in, and I love Dexter Soy's art, but the issue itself was kind of boring to me. Maybe it's because I read it right after Batman, which was also a very exposition-heavy issue, and two of those back to back had me like :snooze:

I'll stick with it for a few more issues, but I already see it having the same problem I see Teen Titans Academy having, which is they're already trying to do way the fukk too much in only one 22-page monthly book.

There's that poll DC is doing to select which new book gets published, and one of them was a Kyle/Kilowog book. As a Kyle stan, that's the one I want to see published, but the alphabet brigade is gonna spam the poll so that Justice League Queer wins. :francis:

I thought you were kidding about that JLqueer stuff :pachaha:

:laff:

It will probably end up being that Robin book

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
I mean, you want the reason in depth?

Ororo has always had to keep her emotions in check due to the nature of her powers. She had to be reserved, restrained, erudite, and removed from exploring the depth of her feelings because her very mood can effect weather patterns.

Logan has to have similar restraint to keep his animal nature in check or could berserker rage all over the place, except he gets to be almost bubbling over emotion and anger all the time.

He feels everything to the point of danger and she denies herself feeling anything to prevent danger.

He's the pot and she's the lid: they fit together.

They share the common burden of restraint from completely different perspectives as his struggle is control when his all encompassing emotions peak, hers is denying those emotions in the first place to never start uphill to approach a peak.

He's trying to stop himself while she's holding back the world.

It's the similar shared burden that attracted her to Forge- a mystic who denies that part of himself due to past trauma so he's all surface and no soul; Storm is all soul but shows nothing on the surface but they first connect when she's lost her powers and that emptiness leaves her open for things she's denied her entire life so far.

Now, this isn't me arguing for Logan/Ororo hooking up as I like their relationship as colleagues and family better, but just showing the pieces are there in the text for anyone who wants to take those characters in that direction.

And it's the same for her now neglected friendships with Gambit, Jean, Bishop...they're all wild souls and loners that try to keep their impulses/emotions in check. They all understand each other....I still think she is best with Forge...even though they've killed that for good, now.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You

I liked Green Lantern #1. It's my favorite DC book this week.
I also happen to like the 3 Lanterns that are at the center of the book and am a huge Legion of Super-Heroes nerd so all the United Planets stuff clicked with me.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Some of these books have to be DC fukking with fans because they sound absolutely ridiculous.

0mMVtGk.jpg

ROUND ROBIN is where DC Publishing asks you, the fans, to vote on 16 different stories to determine which one will be made into a complete series. Each block of voting will be rewarded with new sneak peeks and goodies to delight your senses and spur one of these stories on to VICTORY!

Once one of these storylines emerges the victor, our editorial team will start their engines to have the full series roll out in late 2021:

Bracket 1
Green Lanterns: Underworld On Fire
A deadly outfit of space outlaws are razing the intergalactic underworld sector by sector under the command of a disruptive new kingpin, in search of an ancient payday worth becoming the target of every power player in the galaxy—including Sinestro! Green Lanterns Kyle Rayner and Kilowog are put on the case, but will Kyle be able to do this one by the book when he finds out who’s behind it all?

Etta Candy: Holliday Hero, Inc.
On summer break from Holliday College, an accident grants Etta Candy her very own superpowers! Taking on the new superhero mantle of Candy Stripe, Etta joins forces with Wonder Woman, Amanda Waller, and her Beeta Lambda sorority sisters to create Holliday Hero Inc.—an all-girls agency sworn to protect and assist anyone in need. WOO WOO!

Bracket 2
The Brave and the Bug: Crisis on Infinite Ambush
Ambush Bug must team up with some of DC’s greatest heroes to survive an attack by revenge-seeking Ambush Bugs from across the MULTIVERSE who never got to exist thanks to AB’s refusal to be rebooted.

Zatanna and the King of Nightmares
Something is terribly wrong with Zatanna’s powers, but before she can heal herself, she is forced to confront her worst fears in a strange new spiritual realm ruled by the terrifying otherworldly foe known as the King of Nightmares.

Bracket 3
Lobo / Animal Man: Scorched Earth
Lobo. The name makes entire alien races collectively wet themselves with fear. The Main Man is proudly hyper-violent, arrogant, loud, stubborn, impatient, and ill-tempered. The best thing about him is that after he completes his contract, he leaves. Until now…

Son of the Creeper
An awkward teenager’s life is turned upside down when he inherits his dad’s chaotic powers. With his family in danger, Kieran Millar must save a father he doesn’t know from the monster he’s become.

Bracket 4
Justice League Queer
Eight young queer heroes investigate a series of monstrous manifestations around the world and discover that something much more terrifying is coming.

Robins
In the Blüdhaven apartment of dikk Grayson, a group of young people meets for coffee, doughnuts, and kvetching (between long, awkward silences.) The only thing they have in common? All were once Kid Wonders. Sidekicks to Batman. Robins.

Bracket 5
Paws Off the Justice League
When the Justice League disappears, Jimmy Olsen and the Super Pets must save the world from certain doom by posing as the missing League.

Jesse Quick: Control
When Jesse Quick uses her speed to access an alien artifact from a long-dead civilization, she finds herself imbued with the ability to harness and control the elements around her as her former super-speed is drained. But, when the power begins to corrupt Jesse, she must decide to give up these gifts or risk becoming, quite literally, her own worst enemy.

Bracket 6
Blue Beetle: Graduation Day
Trapped between heroics and his future, Jaime Reyes is directionless. When the Reach interrupt Jaime’s high school graduation, things only get worse. Starfire becomes a new mentor to Blue Beetle, but is it Jaime or the Scarab that’s really in the driver’s seat? And why hasn’t Jaime applied to any colleges?

Nightrunner: Love in Paris
All of Paris is obsessed with an intoxicating virtual songstress, whose holographic stage shows are lighting up the City of Love. But when the “vocaloid” ingenue’s fans start to disappear, Nightrunner must track down the infamous developer behind the eerily realistic celebrity AI.

Bracket 7
Swamp Thing: A House of Secrets
When love will not die, the dead must rise from the grave to kill it.
Louisiana, 1905: Caught in an eternal triangle of love and living death, the monstrous Alex Olsen; his widow, Linda; and his undead rival, Damian, vie for control of the cursed swamp where life, death, the past, and the future spiral into one never-ending nightmare.

Suicide Squad Seven
Harley Quinn leads a team of criminals—a millionaire adventurer, a stage magician, a sugar-obsessed serial killer, a delusional former superhero, a drunk assassin, a mute metahuman, and a child who becomes a monster—to stop the centuries-old Church of Blood from trying to destroy all of humankind.

Bracket 8
Asteria: The Last Amazon
An immortal Amazonian champion returns to Man’s World to discover her and the Amazons’ sacrifice now forgotten; a new breed of hero seeking power, glory, and dominance; and the secret family she left behind offering one last chance at redemption.

Superman & Lois: Ignition
Our solar system is a machine—and its purpose is to trap and kill Superman! The sun is darkening, Mars’s orbit is changing, and a mysterious citadel in Jupiter’s Great Red Eye has awoken; it is time for Kal-El to stand against the very end of his world. But he won’t be doing it alone: Lois Lane is suited up and blasting off to get the biggest story in human history…and to watch Clark’s back as he faces his greatest challenge yet. Facing ancient aliens and planet-sized machines, trickster asteroids, and the gigakrakens of Neptune, Superman and Lois will fight across all nine planets to prevent Earth’s dark destiny and save our future!​

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I thought you were kidding about that JLqueer stuff :pachaha:

:laff:

It will probably end up being that Robin book

I'm all for the LGBTQ community getting their representation in a book, but the premise for JLQ is lazy AF: "We put all the gay characters together because... reasons? :yeshrug:"

It'd honestly be better served as one of their YA OGNs. Those books have a fair amount of queer representation already, and the specific audience this book would be aimed at will be more likely to support it.

As an OGN, it would probably do massive numbers. As a monthly series, it'd probably be canceled before issue 12.

Some of these books have to be DC fukking with fans because they sound absolutely ridiculous.

0mMVtGk.jpg

ROUND ROBIN is where DC Publishing asks you, the fans, to vote on 16 different stories to determine which one will be made into a complete series. Each block of voting will be rewarded with new sneak peeks and goodies to delight your senses and spur one of these stories on to VICTORY!

Once one of these storylines emerges the victor, our editorial team will start their engines to have the full series roll out in late 2021:

Bracket 1
Green Lanterns: Underworld On Fire
A deadly outfit of space outlaws are razing the intergalactic underworld sector by sector under the command of a disruptive new kingpin, in search of an ancient payday worth becoming the target of every power player in the galaxy—including Sinestro! Green Lanterns Kyle Rayner and Kilowog are put on the case, but will Kyle be able to do this one by the book when he finds out who’s behind it all?

Etta Candy: Holliday Hero, Inc.
On summer break from Holliday College, an accident grants Etta Candy her very own superpowers! Taking on the new superhero mantle of Candy Stripe, Etta joins forces with Wonder Woman, Amanda Waller, and her Beeta Lambda sorority sisters to create Holliday Hero Inc.—an all-girls agency sworn to protect and assist anyone in need. WOO WOO!

Bracket 2
The Brave and the Bug: Crisis on Infinite Ambush
Ambush Bug must team up with some of DC’s greatest heroes to survive an attack by revenge-seeking Ambush Bugs from across the MULTIVERSE who never got to exist thanks to AB’s refusal to be rebooted.

Zatanna and the King of Nightmares
Something is terribly wrong with Zatanna’s powers, but before she can heal herself, she is forced to confront her worst fears in a strange new spiritual realm ruled by the terrifying otherworldly foe known as the King of Nightmares.

Bracket 3
Lobo / Animal Man: Scorched Earth
Lobo. The name makes entire alien races collectively wet themselves with fear. The Main Man is proudly hyper-violent, arrogant, loud, stubborn, impatient, and ill-tempered. The best thing about him is that after he completes his contract, he leaves. Until now…

Son of the Creeper
An awkward teenager’s life is turned upside down when he inherits his dad’s chaotic powers. With his family in danger, Kieran Millar must save a father he doesn’t know from the monster he’s become.

Bracket 4
Justice League Queer
Eight young queer heroes investigate a series of monstrous manifestations around the world and discover that something much more terrifying is coming.

Robins
In the Blüdhaven apartment of dikk Grayson, a group of young people meets for coffee, doughnuts, and kvetching (between long, awkward silences.) The only thing they have in common? All were once Kid Wonders. Sidekicks to Batman. Robins.

Bracket 5
Paws Off the Justice League
When the Justice League disappears, Jimmy Olsen and the Super Pets must save the world from certain doom by posing as the missing League.

Jesse Quick: Control
When Jesse Quick uses her speed to access an alien artifact from a long-dead civilization, she finds herself imbued with the ability to harness and control the elements around her as her former super-speed is drained. But, when the power begins to corrupt Jesse, she must decide to give up these gifts or risk becoming, quite literally, her own worst enemy.

Bracket 6
Blue Beetle: Graduation Day
Trapped between heroics and his future, Jaime Reyes is directionless. When the Reach interrupt Jaime’s high school graduation, things only get worse. Starfire becomes a new mentor to Blue Beetle, but is it Jaime or the Scarab that’s really in the driver’s seat? And why hasn’t Jaime applied to any colleges?

Nightrunner: Love in Paris
All of Paris is obsessed with an intoxicating virtual songstress, whose holographic stage shows are lighting up the City of Love. But when the “vocaloid” ingenue’s fans start to disappear, Nightrunner must track down the infamous developer behind the eerily realistic celebrity AI.

Bracket 7
Swamp Thing: A House of Secrets
When love will not die, the dead must rise from the grave to kill it.
Louisiana, 1905: Caught in an eternal triangle of love and living death, the monstrous Alex Olsen; his widow, Linda; and his undead rival, Damian, vie for control of the cursed swamp where life, death, the past, and the future spiral into one never-ending nightmare.

Suicide Squad Seven
Harley Quinn leads a team of criminals—a millionaire adventurer, a stage magician, a sugar-obsessed serial killer, a delusional former superhero, a drunk assassin, a mute metahuman, and a child who becomes a monster—to stop the centuries-old Church of Blood from trying to destroy all of humankind.

Bracket 8
Asteria: The Last Amazon
An immortal Amazonian champion returns to Man’s World to discover her and the Amazons’ sacrifice now forgotten; a new breed of hero seeking power, glory, and dominance; and the secret family she left behind offering one last chance at redemption.

Superman & Lois: Ignition
Our solar system is a machine—and its purpose is to trap and kill Superman! The sun is darkening, Mars’s orbit is changing, and a mysterious citadel in Jupiter’s Great Red Eye has awoken; it is time for Kal-El to stand against the very end of his world. But he won’t be doing it alone: Lois Lane is suited up and blasting off to get the biggest story in human history…and to watch Clark’s back as he faces his greatest challenge yet. Facing ancient aliens and planet-sized machines, trickster asteroids, and the gigakrakens of Neptune, Superman and Lois will fight across all nine planets to prevent Earth’s dark destiny and save our future!​

That Ambush Bug series sounded like a ton of fun, but it got washed in the first round. :mjcry: