Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've actually been considering dropping Amazing Spider-Man because I can't stand the way Spencer writes Spidey.

Peter is such a loser who can't stop fukking up, and he's a jerk to the people who try to help him. Why am I supposed to root for this a$$hole? :why:

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Thor, Venom and Immortal Hulk are my favorites right not outta the ones you didn't list. If you liked the House of X/Powers of X I fukk with the main book, x-force and the marauder titles. Amazing Spider-man has been really fun since Spencer has been on it as well plus it has a great stable of artists (Ottley, Gleason).

I've heard great things about Venom, but I'm too far behind right now. I'll pick it up with the next arc. Every time I buy a Thor book, and get into it, it gets cancelled (Unworthy was the last).

Dillah810

Flat Girther
Daps
Reppin
Flint, Michigan
Anything good out there? I've dropped everything I had been reading (the X-Books, all Spidey titles, Bats, Conan) but:

Spawn, TMNT and now I'm reading Killadelphia. I was reading Savage Avengers, but I can't ever seem to find it anymore. Last issue I have is #9.
Daredevil has been consistently good.

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
I've heard great things about Venom, but I'm too far behind right now. I'll pick it up with the next arc. Every time I buy a Thor book, and get into it, it gets cancelled (Unworthy was the last).
nah. that Venom shyt is dope!
but theyre deep into that shyt now.
so wherever youre at, when you decide to jump back in yiu might wanna start from beginning.

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Re: Amazing Spider-Man, I did appreciate how Jonah gave Peter a much-deserved 'Reason You Suck' speech.

After the last issue where Spidey was seen robbing a bank on a secret S.H.I.E.L.D. mission, Jonah announced it on his podcast, which pissed Peter off because it was supposed to be top-secret. So Peter's like, "All you care about is your stories, and you're always getting in my way. Stay out of my business. :camby:"

But later in the issue, Jonah rightfully tells Peter, ":ufdup:. I told everybody about your S.H.I.E.L.D. mission to clear your name because all anybody saw on the news was Spider-Man robbing a bank. Matter fact, even when I thought you were a menace, you never tried to clear the air or make nice. You just trolled and antagonized me for years. And you should be glad I'm trying to clear your name because I'm the only one willing to do it. You have no other friends because you're a self-righteous a$$hole who thinks you have to do everything on your own. Even the Avengers don't fukk with you. :pacspit:"

And I was reading this shyt like, ":patrice:. Yeah, he's right. fukk you, Spider-Man. :pacspit:"

parallax

Superstar
Daps
why would you try to clear the air make nice with someone slandering you?if some has an agenda then theres nothing you can do. youll fukk around and end up in a chopped up interview like homer

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Are you guys excited about the two new major villains, The Designer and Punchline, being introduced in Batman #89 this week?

Copies of the issue have already been sold for between $35-$130 and I'm not quite understanding why all the hubbub.

Here's James Tynion's descriptions of the characters that he gave to artist Jorge Jiminez and the finished product that Jiminez came up with:

THE DESIGNER
This is the big villain of the first arc of the story, "THEIR DARK DESIGNS." The gist is that he was a master criminal, who operated around the world, and is an urban legend among thieves and criminals.

They called him the greatest criminal mastermind of the 20th century. His identity was a mystery. He would create "Puppets" of people he could control and kill remotely to perform his crimes, and never get caught. He'd be old… In his 60s when he first came to Gotham, but he is a very in-shape 60-year old.

In our story, we'll learn that years ago he recruited Joker, Penguin, Riddler, and Catwoman to help him perform his big final act. The biggest heist in all of history. But when they realized he planned to kill them, they killed him first. And then he starts to make his play in the present day, and the Bat-villains need to figure out how the hell that's possible.

In terms of his look, I'm going to throw a lot of contradictory ideas at you and see what you come back with… I'm more trying to evoke the spirit of the character. You should take all of it as inspiration, and see what you cook up.

If they did a Metal Gear Solid x Final Fantasy x Silent Hill crossover game, and the villain of that game was meant to be The actual, honest-to-god Devil… That's the kind of character I'm looking to create here. This should be a character with some complicated costume elements (to counter the simplicity of the Gotham Villains). He is not simple, he is ornate. And he should be scary.

When I picture him, he has a mask not unlike the mask of "Friend" from 20th Century Boys (seen below). A white cloth mask over his face (not a mummy bandage wrap like Hush). There should be a symbol on his face… Maybe an ornate gothic "D" in red.

His costume should look like an ornate general or emperor's military uniform that simultaneously looks like it's from a hundred years in the past and a hundred years in the future. Ornate armored shoulder plates… An ornate scarlet cape. Maybe some black feathers coming out from under the shoulder plates. He has a giant sword, but also a few guns in ornate holsters on his chest. A little bit Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII, a little bit Edea from Final Fantasy VIII, a little bit Auron from Final Fantasy X… But with a final dash of Metal Gear Solid militarism, and a bit of horror.

The feel should be that THE DESIGNER is walking out of a different kind of comic book into Batman, a different aesthetic world entirely. There should be something eerie about The Joker, and The Penguin existing in the same space as this character. Something inherently WRONG about it. He is a different level of evil.

The key is for the first part of the year, regardless of the final reveal, is that this story should feel like Batman vs. The Devil.
BpBJjGM.jpg

PUNCHLINE
This is a fun one, and I think could have the potential to be a real breakout character if we handle her correctly.

She is, essentially, Joker's new girlfriend. And she is Harley Quinn's polar opposite. She is Joker's #2… A silent, terrifying serial killer, sexy as hell. All of his henchmen are terrified of her and they should be. Imagine Joker being Joker and torturing a hostage, and then he gets tired and sighs, handing the scalpel to Punchline, who slits their throat.

We don't want to base her costume off either Joker or Harley's too much (we want equity – so she can't come off as derivative), but there should be a bit of a clown component to her. Maybe she has a porcelain mask, but that might be too cheesy. We don't want her to just be anti-Harley Quinn, and we don't just want her to be female joker. We don't want to evoke The Batman Who Laughs or the Dark Multiverse with somebody who looks like she steps out of Hellraiser.

When she smiles, it's scary. It's not a toothy smile, it's a closed mouth grin. She is a sadist. She enjoys killing people. She is talented at killing people. The Joker calls her the funniest person he's ever met in his life. She is a physical character, and she should be sexy. Sexy in a slinkier, darker way than Harley, who is all pep and energy.

I think her primary weapon should be her knives and her fists. I see her colors being purple and black.

Like in the f-cked up Archie Comics where The Joker is Archie, and Harley Quinn is Betty, then Punchline is Veronica. If Harley is the Angel on The Joker's shoulder, Punchline should be the devil.
HBR2u0t.jpg

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Kurt Busiek is basically going to be doing ASTRO CITY with Marvel's characters and I'm here for it.

THE MARVELS #1
Written by KURT BUSIEK. Art by YILDIRAY CINAR. Cover by ALEX ROSS

ALL-NEW, ONGOING SERIES! Kurt Busiek (MARVELS, Astro City) is back, with the biggest, wildest, most sprawling series ever to hit the Marvel Universe, telling stories that span the decades and range from cosmic adventure to intense human drama, from the street-level to the cosmic, starring literally anyone from Marvel's very first heroes to the superstars of tomorrow.
This first issue includes an invasion from orbit, a picnic in Prospect Park, super hero sightseeing in Manhattan, the All-Winners Squad in 1947, Reed Richards during his time in military intelligence, cosmic beings beyond space and time— and that's only for starters.
Featuring Captain America, Spider-Man, the Punisher, the Human Torch, Storm, the Black Cat, the Golden Age Vision, Aero, Iron Man and Thor, and introducing two brand-new characters, all beautifully drawn by Yildiray Cinar (X-MEN, Legion of Super-Heroes, IRON MAN) in the opening act of a thriller that'll take us across the Marvel Universe…and beyond.
Plus: Who (or what) is KSHOOM? It all starts here. And it goes…everywhere.

odZXnoz.jpg

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Are you guys excited about the two new major villains, The Designer and Punchline, being introduced in Batman #89 this week?

Copies of the issue have already been sold for between $35-$130 and I'm not quite understanding why all the hubbub.
Tynion is one of the most generic writers DC has ever pushed. Between him writing Batman, Bendis on Superman and the possibility of Snyder on Wonder Woman DC's big three are destined to become...

[Jack Kirby]Utterly unreadable for the foreseeable future![/Jack Kirby]

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm a fan of Tynion but I'm not interested in this Joker War at all.

It's hard to get excited for a Joker story after he got hoe'd out by The Batman Who Laughs. :unimpressed:

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I'm a fan of Tynion but I'm not interested in this Joker War at all.

It's hard to get excited for a Joker story after he got hoe'd out by The Batman Who Laughs. :unimpressed:
The Batman Who Laughs is still the worst thing to happen to comic books in the past decade.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Tynion is one of the most generic writers DC has ever pushed. Between him writing Batman, Bendis on Superman and the possibility of Snyder on Wonder Woman DC's big three are destined to become...

[Jack Kirby]Utterly unreadable for the foreseeable future![/Jack Kirby]
Snyder on Wonder Woman? I don't know if I'm cool with that especially after Metal and how Justice League got away from him.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Snyder on Wonder Woman? I don't know if I'm cool with that especially after Metal and how Justice League got away from him.
I only assume this because he wrote the retconned origin story in WW 750 which is supposed to be part of bigger changes for the character (and the DC universe in general).

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The Batman Who Laughs is still the worst thing to happen to comic books in the past decade.

I didn't mind the concept but they need to let him rest for a while and only use him sparingly.

Right now he's way OP (both overpushed and overpowered) to the point where no other villain looks like a threat.

We already know he beats Perpetua and Apex Lex, and Joker tried to kill himself because he didn't want the smoke. Only reason Darkseid hasn't been sonned yet is because he's still in the Ghost Sector. :unimpressed: