Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

TrueEpic08

Dum Shiny
Daps
Reppin
SoCal State Beaches
Powers of X #3...

Comic's fine, I guess, in that I didn't hate it or anything. But how is it that you're doing all of this and I don't feel anything or even really give a single solitary fukk for any of your characters? There's far too much Hickman telling me things that are going to happen or telling me how the characters either through his data pages or through his dialogue (which, save for possibly one scene, is perfunctory at best) and not enough actually making me care about and invest in what I'm seeing from panel to panel. All notes, no music to be cliche about it. A well-crafted empty house devoid of soul or lived-in quality.

Nice to know a good portion of us were right about this being life 9 (obvious, but absolutely nothing wrong with obvious) and, to give credit where credit is due, Hickman's just about opened the door to the possibility of Moira actually having a real plan with all of this (not that it would make HoX #2 any less damaging of stupid...it would in fact raise even more questions), but at least the guy is thinking.

But even here there are serious issues of communication and connection with the story. Moira still has no real character as opposed to functioning as Hickman's massive plot device, in that he's never given me a single reason to truly give a shyt for why she does what she does (oh, he tells us from time to time. But he doesn't do the work, of let his artists do the work, to make us care). Cardinal discusses his pacifism in every appearance he makes, but we never get to truly see him both make a hard decision involving it or see how it affects him, thus the act of him throwing his life and literal structuring ideology away has no impact (sure, we see him not join in Rasputin's attack in PoX #1, but the focus is on her and, because it's the first time we see him, it also has no real impact. We never see him live with his pacifism in any real, sustained way). Xorn's death has no impact (boy, I'm not hot on him keeping that idiotic Magneto/Xorn retcon around, but whatever...). Moira's death has no impact. And so on.

Credit to Hickman, he writes something approaching a real character moment that illustrates something beyond the machinations of his plot with Nimrod and Omega, but it's undermined by his inability to give his characters real, distinct, and interesting voices, even on the basic archetypal level.

So then end result is a comic I don't hate, that has a couple of interesting turns to it, but is again so interested in getting the writer's plots and ideas over that I can't actually engage with it. Truly a waste of R.B. Silva, who's an excellent artist who draws very expressive figures and moments, but has no outlet for his talent.

Like, I just re-read Phonogram a few days ago, and Kieron Gillen packs more emotion, texture, feeling, and general life into that comic in roughly any three pages of its first two mini-series than Hickman has in any of his comics put together (Immaterial Girl is another matter, despite its importance to Phonogram conceptually, but I'll save that for another post due to how relevant it is for a discussion of my issues with...well, modern superhero comics in general).

Just enough to keep me interested in where it goes, but also just enough to like about it to be disappointed with the rest of the comic's qualities. So it goes.

Woodrow

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
oh man that ending of Batman 77 is going make fans even more pissed at Tom King

batman is a disjointed mess. the ending doesnt even bother me. even if it actually happened, there's no way in hell it will actually stick.

my bigger problem is the story itself. it's just a random pastiche of different storytelling moments, as opposed to an actual story. it worked in mister miracle. but the last 20-30 issues of batman have been trash for the most part.

also... the implication that damian would sell his soul -- or any soul -- for a magic wand (just to subtly reinforce the larger point that damian made a childish decision, because he's a child, no matter how much he acts like an adult)... a MAGIC WAND... fukking awful. he could end this entire ordeal and all damian asks for is a wand? and it's made worse because it also flirts with morrison's unknown "deal with the devil" pact that births future damian/batman. king better not have been implying the two are connected in any way, shape or form.

as one of the very few who actually enjoyed and defended heroes in crisis, i've tried to give dude the benefit of the doubt. but fukk it. i'm over tom king. cant wait for his run on this book to end.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
oh man that ending of Batman 77 is going make fans even more pissed at Tom King

These fukks at DC letting this dude get away with too damn much. :martin:

They can't be that stupid to leave it like that. :patrice:

You think it could have been Clayface? :jbhmm:

Honestly, I figured Alfred could survive from that. But Clayface would definitely make sense and I don’t see Thomas Wayne being ok with Alfred dying.

I enjoyed the issue (especially because Damien handled that obnoxious Gotham Girl with the quickness) but that ending was wild.
I would like to see what a Bat Universe without Alfred would be like but I doubt that was the real Alfred. It's either Clayface like you guys said or Alfred from a different Earth or just them using some sort of hallucination on Robin.

Woodrow

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
EVERY.SINGLE.WEEK.

I was legit up at 3 AM waiting to purchase it digitally. Was not disappointed

hopped up at 3:05am looking at my Marvel app like... :feedme:

still ran to my local shop today to cop that Nightcrawler/Illyana variant (spending money every week with your local shop-owners has its privileges). :wow:

i haven't been let down by a single issue yet. every single one has been excellent, imo.

last time an x-men comic had me this consistently :wow::dwillhuh::what::mindblown::whoo::damn:, i was trying to figure out how grant morrison was the first writer to determine nano-sentinels would be a great idea.

next week's title: IT WILL BE DONE

CYCLOPS AND WOLVERINE FYCKERY ON DECK!:damn::blessed::damn::blessed::damn::blessed::damn::blessed:

Last edited:

Emoryal

Superstar
Daps
yea :wow:

It was life 9:wow: Like how hopeless Hickman made that shyt.

Apoc got rocked. :whew:

And damn was Nimrod always this smug :skip:

Also since Moira just got peaced out. She wouldn't know about the year 1000 stuff..Because that has to be taking place in life 9
You're right cylobel was in that pod.I wonder how Hickman will have year 1000 affect the new timeline because he said their wasn't going to be any time travel

parallax

Superstar
Daps
im curious about a certain aspect of this timeline, mainly logan
for some reason i assumed that logans healing factor would be on par with his deadlands counterpart. but not only is it much stronger but he seems to have the appearance of the current logan. after so long, how the hell is he still in that condition?

TrueEpic08

Dum Shiny
Daps
Reppin
SoCal State Beaches
im curious about a certain aspect of this timeline, mainly logan
for some reason i assumed that logans healing factor would be on par with his deadlands counterpart. but not only is it much stronger but he seems to have the appearance of the current logan. after so long, how the hell is he still in that condition?

Logan's healing factor has never been consistent. It bounds between "vaguely quick" and "cockroach" all the time. If this book isn't necessarily being consistent about it, that lines up with every other X-Men book of the last 30 years or so. There may be a plot-based reason for it, but if there isn't, it's not a problem.

And I'll agree with @Da Rhythm Rebel and @Woodrow, actually. I may not necessarily like the series, but they're at least trying to make it seem like it matters. Hopefully it continues past Hickman's tenure.

Also, why didn't anyone tell me Hickman had artistic chops? I took a cursory look at some of his creator-owned stuff, and while The Red Wing has all the typical Hickman problems on top of being vaguely incomprehensible (not completely his fault; his artist fails him from a storytelling standpoint), but The Nightly News at least has a unique, vibrant look to it. The pages themselves look far too dense and overloaded at times, and I haven't actually read it yet, but it is unique and interesting as well. It makes me care to read the book, if nothing else. Dude could've possible been something as an artist.

Woodrow

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Logan's healing factor has never been consistent. It bounds between "vaguely quick" and "cockroach" all the time. If this book isn't necessarily being consistent about it, that lines up with every other X-Men book of the last 30 years or so. There may be a plot-based reason for it, but if there isn't, it's not a problem.

And I'll agree with @Da Rhythm Rebel and @Woodrow, actually. I may not necessarily like the series, but they're at least trying to make it seem like it matters. Hopefully it continues past Hickman's tenure.

Also, why didn't anyone tell me Hickman had artistic chops? I took a cursory look at some of his creator-owned stuff, and while The Red Wing has all the typical Hickman problems on top of being vaguely incomprehensible (not completely his fault; his artist fails him from a storytelling standpoint), but The Nightly News at least has a unique, vibrant look to it. The pages themselves look far too dense and overloaded at times, and I haven't actually read it yet, but it is unique and interesting as well. It makes me care to read the book, if nothing else. Dude could've possible been something as an artist.

wolverine living to see the end of the mutant world -- regardless of how he gets there -- is par for the course in x-men stories. in that way, hickman is carrying on tradition.

it's one of my favorite parts of what he's doing; the little nods to/flips on x-men lore. the way he had moira turn wolverine's catchprase right before her 9th life ends was basically a double entendre: the best he is at what he does on a very violent, surface level. but also his habit of triggering a destiny-altering rebirth for insanely powerful female characters (usually jean grey).

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Isn't it obvious Moira's lifelines are going through various universes? I don't see why Logan's healing factor matters since it's probably not the same Logan on Earth 616. :steviej:

I wouldn't be surprised if this upcoming run isn't part of the current Marvel timeline when it's all said and done. :heh:

Anyways, I'm not hyped like most of you guys are, but I'm enjoying it. :ld:

parallax

Superstar
Daps
Isn't it obvious Moira's lifelines are going through various universes? I don't see why Logan's healing factor matters since it's probably not the same Logan on Earth 616. :steviej:

I wouldn't be surprised if this upcoming run isn't part of the current Marvel timeline when it's all said and done. :heh:

Anyways, I'm not hyped like most of you guys are, but I'm enjoying it. :ld:

the root of all the timelines is the same, which seems to be very similar or the same to 616, and although the futures have never been canon in marvel, im curious to see why his regeneration is still so strong so many years in the future

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
the root of all the timelines is the same, which seems to be very similar or the same to 616, and although the futures have never been canon in marvel, im curious to see why his regeneration is still so strong so many years in the future
Well, Logan is Apoc’s Death. You know he’s capable of manipulating powers.