Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
Is Hickman gonna touch that red skull onslaught stuff? Probably not, but Jesus if he could reincorporate it......

That was on Moira's B-side life :troll:

Hickman was kinda forced to recognize Axis during his Avengers run but it became very difficult to figure out if his Tony Stark and Steve Rogers were inverted or if they had just become unrecognizable a$$holes - specially Cap -, turned out it was the latter :russ:

parallax

Superstar
Daps
That was on Moira's B-side life :troll:

Hickman was kinda forced to recognize Axis during his Avengers run but it became very difficult to figure out if his Tony Stark and Steve Rogers were inverted or if they had just become unrecognizable a$$holes - specially Cap -, turned out it was the latter :russ:

old man cap was in perma a$$hole mode. stark had been an a$$hole for what seems like forever. he just had them ride that shyt out

Dusty Bake Activate

Fukk your corny debates
Daps
Is Hickman gonna touch that red skull onslaught stuff? Probably not, but Jesus if he could reincorporate it......
What I liked about Hickman’s Avengers/Infinity/Secret Wars run was he managed to throw in it seemed like every major player in the MU while still having most of them contribute to the story in meaningful ways, and flesh out their motives for the moves they were making. That’s often hard to do, and just ends in big slugfests with little characterization. He had like 3 years to do it though so he could be patient.

I wonder how long he is committed to X-Men. He seems to legit be a lifelong X-stan so that has to be a plus. I’m looking forward to how he will use some of my favorite X-characters. I could tell from the push he gave Sinister in Secret Wars he’s a fan, as am I. Sinister always been my fave X-villain. I like that he’s using Vulcan too who has a lot of potential imo.

Some characters I hope he uses...

Cassandra Nova
Archangel...not the white man with feathered wings.
Selene
Proteus
Shadow King
Scarlet Witch & Quiksilver...fukk that retcon.
Val Cooper and some form of Freedom Force
Fantomex
Sublime
Mikhail Rasputin
Sunfire
Apocalypse final horsemen from Remender era X-Force.
The Upstarts...Trevor Fitzroy, Fabian Cortez, Shinobi Shaw and Siena Blaze
Unit...Kieron Gillen creation I thought had huge potential as a top-tier villain but most of Gillen’s stuff kinda got ignored or erased after AVX.

Last edited:

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City
old man cap was in perma a$$hole mode. stark had been an a$$hole for what seems like forever. he just had them ride that shyt out

Imagine if MCU cap is a complete a$$hole too.... I could see it too with that bullshyt answer he gave to “who was your wife?
What I liked about Hickman’s Avengers/Infinity/Secret Wars run was he managed to throw in it seemed like every major player in the MU while still having most of them contribute to the story in meaningful ways, and flesh out their motives for the moves they were making. That’s often hard to do, and just ends in big slugfests with little characterization. He had like 3 years to do it though so he could be patient.

I wonder how long he is committed to X-Men. He seems to legit be a lifelong X-stan so that has to be a plus. I’m looking forward to how he will use some of my favorite X-characters. I could tell from the push he gave Sinister in Secret Wars he’s a fan, as am I. Sinister always been my fave X-villain. I like that he’s using Vulcan too who has a lot of potential imo.

Some characters I hope he uses...

Cassandra Nova
Archangel...not the white man with feathered wings.
Selene
Proteus
Shadow King
Scarlet Witch & Quiksilver...fukk that retcon.
Val Cooper and some form of Freedom Force
Fantomex
Sublime
Mikhail Rasputin
Sunfire
Apocalypse final horsemen from Remender era X-Force.
The Upstarts...Trevor Fitzroy, Fabian Cortez, Shinobi Shaw and Siena Blaze
Unit...Kieron Gillen creation I thought had huge potential as a top-tier villain but most of Gillen’s stuff kinda got ignored or erased after AVX.

In regards to archangel

One of the previews for that book with psylocke made it seem like he died..... not that these death are permanent but still idk. The description made it seem like they were trying to avenge his murder

Dusty Bake Activate

Fukk your corny debates
Daps
“Axis” was so hilarious with so much shenanigans And tomfoolery:

*Carnage being a hero and making a heroic sacrifice

*Scarlet Witch And Quicksilver being retconned into not being Magneto’s kids

*Dr. Doom having Red Skull chained up in his living room like some kind of animal

*Red Skull turning into Onslaught

* The sight of Spider-Man fighting Apocalypse

*The Avengers being “inverted” and being jerks

*Sabretooth, a cold blooded psychopath of epic proportions being turned into a noble hero.

:russ::dead:
I couldn’t really fukk with Axis. It was just so ridiculous...like sitcom fukkery.

It was a disappointing ending to what was otherwise a good run by Remender on Uncanny Avengers.

The Red Skull becoming Onslaught had the makings of a try-hard plot, but the idea of it alone is horrifying as far as the evil and destruction he would be capable of. But he ended up not doing all that much damage and never really being that fearsome of an adversary, and mostly just serving as a springboard for a goofy ass story.

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
Marvel smartened up when the brought him back. Now they need to get Remender to return and have him focus on a core team with a singular goal to kill someone like he did with X-Force and that first avengers run.

It’s not fair to hold Axis against him cause it was a dumb concept and events like that don’t play to his strengths.

Considering Deadly Class got fukked over. I could see him coming back

Emoryal

Superstar
Daps
I can't really get hype for these 2 X-Series. I'm not picking up PoX #2, and I may drop HoX after #3. So far, Hickman hasn't really done much of anything. But like I said earlier in the thread, he's a slow burn.

The only thing he's done was retcon Moira. But the multiple timelines in the 616 have always existed and each one has always been real. Him giving a why is insignificant because no one asked about the why. It changes nothing about the history, and essentially, he's not done anything groundbreaking so far.
:mjlol: I can't with this.

TrueEpic08

Dum Shiny
Daps
Reppin
SoCal State Beaches
Powers of X #2...

No rant today; it was merely deeply boring as opposed to actively frustrating. All his characters are so sterile and unengaging, talking with the same voice unless they're quirky for the sake of being quirky (Nimrod the Lesser, who repels me in a bad way). Scott's quippage here is damn near ridiculous, it doesn't sound like his character at all.

And I'm officially convinced that Hickman couldn't write a properly engaging, self-contained 22-page story if you put a gun to his head. I wish he'd just bypass the periodical format entirely and either release this as a single graphic novel, where his incessant planning would read better, or just write novels, since he seems more interested in his concepts than an artist's ability to render them in the form of sequential art.

More evidence for that Life 9-Life 10 theory me and others have been peddling, by the way.

If you like Hickman, this will sate you. If not, it will probably inspire ennui. So it goes.

Dusty Bake Activate

Fukk your corny debates
Daps
Powers of X #2...

No rant today; it was merely deeply boring as opposed to actively frustrating. All his characters are so sterile and unengaging, talking with the same voice unless they're quirky for the sake of being quirky (Nimrod the Lesser, who repels me in a bad way). Scott's quippage here is damn near ridiculous, it doesn't sound like his character at all.

And I'm officially convinced that Hickman couldn't write a properly engaging, self-contained 22-page story if you put a gun to his head. I wish he'd just bypass the periodical format entirely and either release this as a single graphic novel, where his incessant planning would read better, or just write novels, since he seems more interested in his concepts than an artist's ability to render them in the form of sequential art.

More evidence for that Life 9-Life 10 theory me and others have been peddling, by the way.

If you like Hickman, this will sate you. If not, it will probably inspire ennui. So it goes.
So you clearly hate dudes writing and have for years, but you continue to read every issue, analyze it and write reviews in which you articulate how much you think it sucks?

I don’t get it. If I don’t like someone’s work, I stop reading it. How long will do this before you stop reading?

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
So you clearly hate dudes writing and have for years, but you continue to read every issue, analyze it and write reviews in which you articulate how much you think it sucks?

I don’t get it. If I don’t like someone’s work, I stop reading it. How long will do this before you stop reading?
After New X Men 150, I never touched another Grant Morrison comic. One of the biggest fools to ever try to write a decent comic.

Last edited:

TrueEpic08

Dum Shiny
Daps
Reppin
SoCal State Beaches

It's a fair question.

I'm a big X-Men fan, and this is the biggest X-Men series in years. Furthermore, I'm just interested enough in where it's going to keep reading it (I've said before that there were far worse writers on this beforehand, and some of the concepts he's throwing around are legitimately engaging enough to see them out). Also, this isn't a big commitment for me: I spent maybe 20 minutes of my morning reading and writing my post before going to work and mostly forgetting about it.

As for when I'll stop reading? Probably once HoX/PoX ends and I have a complete picture of where's he's going. I probably won't write a post on it every week, but this isn't like the previous Rosenberg run where it actively repulsed me. There's good stuff here, but what he does with it frustrates me to no end. But given the good stuff, I want to see where it goes.

I'm also just fascinated by what people think is really good comics writing these days, and the lack of real critical attention these writers get. And sometimes I'm just baffled when I read these reviews of comics I find not being able to do basic engaging storytelling or conceptual groundwork, or whose concepts unravel the minute I think of them like a writer or a critic as opposed to a fanboy (this isn't even getting into how ridiculously insular comics narratives have gotten. It's becoming increasingly difficult, to me at least, to find a high-profile comic I can give to a non-comics fan without having to attach a long-ass explanation to it. That's not a good thing, and I'm certainly not the only person thinking it).

But I'm not going to bytch about it forever, if that's the question you're asking. I'll ask a different question, though: Why are people so enamored with Hickman's writing anyway? That's an honest question I'd like to see a considered answer to.

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
“Axis” was so hilarious with so much shenanigans And tomfoolery:

*Carnage being a hero and making a heroic sacrifice

*Scarlet Witch And Quicksilver being retconned into not being Magneto’s kids

*Dr. Doom having Red Skull chained up in his living room like some kind of animal

*Red Skull turning into Onslaught

* The sight of Spider-Man fighting Apocalypse

*The Avengers being “inverted” and being jerks

*Sabretooth, a cold blooded psychopath of epic proportions being turned into a noble hero.

:russ::dead:
The fukking Kluh