Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

OmegaK2099

Gettin' It In
Bushed
Daps
Dead Man Logan sucks, they couldn't have gotten anyone better to write this? Come on its supposed to be the death of old man Logan for crying out loud. The art is meh too.

Last edited:

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
What I Read:

Leviathan Event or whatever: I'm a Red Hood fan.... but come on! :heh: And if anybody who's not familiar with my hate for Bendis' dialogue style... here you go. That shyt was horrendous. "To the Batcoptor" huh. Lotta "what?' 'Well' 'But okay so' 'I mean' 'wow. just...wow.'" I'm paraphrasing, but it's not hard. All totally interchangeable outside of art to show you who's saying what, all periods and question marks. If anyone is wondering why I'm not trying to shyt on @TrueEpic08 and his continued reading of stuff he hates, its cause hey I'm reading this
As bad as it was (and it's bad enough that I'm dropping it), it still wasn't as bad as how he wrote Luthor in that 'The Offer' issue of Action Comics. That legit was the straw that broke the camel's back as far as his Superman books go. Just awful of the worst kind.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Dead Man Logan sucks, they couldn't have gotten anyone better to write this? Come on its supposed to be the death of old man Logan for crying out loud. The art is meh too.
Oh that's still going on?

They botched 616 Wolverine's return and Old Man Logan's departure by dragging it out nonsensically like ppl would be on the edge of their seats for a full year of build up bullshyt... only to find out ppl just wanted to get it over with and move on.

Really, something as simple as the War of the Realms issue where Punisher says "I thought you were dead Logan" and Logan goes: "I'm not" and Punisher goes :manny: pretty much encapsulated how most (or at least I) felt about it at that point.

It does suck for geriatric Logan tho because he's essentially having that Carmelo Anthony send off, as opposed to the Dwyane Wade one he would've got if Marvel had planned it right.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Prodigal Son aka Black Superman aka Blue Marvel's MCU replacement is a fun lil character.

He needs a better costume and the powers aren't anything that captivating... but he a funny lil breh. Lookin like whatshisface from East of West

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
As bad as it was (and it's bad enough that I'm dropping it), it still wasn't as bad as how he wrote Luthor in that 'The Offer' issue of Action Comics. That legit was the straw that broke the camel's back as far as his Superman books go. Just awful of the worst kind.

It hurts my soul to know this cat gonna be writing Legion.

All those characters with all that history... all talking with the same voice like they in amateur acting classes.

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile

I was right.

So some real shyt must go down with that ascension stuff

Yeah, the 100 years future with Apocalypse kinda has to be Moira's 9th life. She's probably on that sarcophagus, waiting to get that key information that she can use on her 10th or 11th life.

The 1000 years future I'm still not sure what's the point of, considering PoX 3 comes out next week, we'll probably get a big answer/reveal.

TrueEpic08

Dum Shiny
Daps
Reppin
SoCal State Beaches
What I Read:

Leviathan Event or whatever: I'm a Red Hood fan.... but come on! :heh: And if anybody who's not familiar with my hate for Bendis' dialogue style... here you go. That shyt was horrendous. "To the Batcoptor" huh. Lotta "what?' 'Well' 'But okay so' 'I mean' 'wow. just...wow.'" I'm paraphrasing, but it's not hard. All totally interchangeable outside of art to show you who's saying what, all periods and question marks. If anyone is wondering why I'm not trying to shyt on @TrueEpic08 and his continued reading of stuff he hates, its cause hey I'm reading this

*hey @TrueEpic08 what Ellis Avatar stuff did you like the most? I don't think the Gravel stories or FreakAngels got the attention they deserved. I'll admit FreakAngels was the first Ellis work I read and dropped. I binged the hell out of it last year.

Hey, we all do it, I'm just more vocal about it than most. And I wouldn't be reading it if it weren't kind of interesting on some level to me. :manny:

Anyway, I got into Ellis's Avatar Press stuff through his Superhero Trilogy: Black Summer, No Hero, and Supergod. Black Summer is fantastic, essentially a politically charged action blockbuster about the fallout from a superhero assassinating the president and the US military going after said superhero's team. It has a lot to say about the nature of warfare (very much a post-Iraq War comic) and the disconnect between political intent and application of force when both sides are using the same methods to solve problems. No Hero I admire more than I actually like, but is worth a read for it examination of the desire to become a superhero (and the desire for heroes), as well as what those desires and perceptions of the world lead people to do. Supergod... fukk. Super being arms race where the super beings are explicitly based on deities, and act like deities with no connection to humanity, for all the political, ecological, and existential consequences that it implies. Great stuff, and some of the darkest material Ellis ever produced.

I'd also give a shout out to Blackgas, Ellis's take on the zombie story. Also pretty good stuff there.

I haven't read all his Avatar stuff, so I can't say what's best. But this material certainly resonated with me.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
It hurts my soul to know this cat gonna be writing Legion.

All those characters with all that history... all talking with the same voice like they in amateur acting classes.
Is Bendis writing Legion alone? I thought he had someone else writing it with him.