Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
33vlt8i.jpg

TNC

Hardbody
Daps
If Xavier has anything to do with the Maker, I'm dropping the book immediately. And I'm only half-kidding when I say that.

Then again, I find the X-Men as a superhero concept in an interconnected Marvel continuity more and more fundamentally stupid the older I get, so trying to integrate it with all of Hickman's high concept Avengers/FF shyt turns me off immediately (I'd have this problem with basically any non-X-Men concept at this point). The more disconnected the X-Men are from all that nonsense, the better.

Just a cockamamie-ass hunch, but you may want to check out X-Man #-1 sometime. They seem to be organic versions of Nate Grey's gestation pod from the AoA universe.

Why?

I've heard a lot of Non X-Men Marvel fans say this, partially because the X-Men's plight makes the rest of the world's heroes look selfish or inconsiderate but I don't see why its a bad idea. It very much mimic's White American's mentality and approach to minority struggles and issues. I think its a very needed touch.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I like this!

You got Agatha/Vertigo as an almost supernatural Professor X/Cyclops, and Vertigo shunning Blade's advances

Gargoyle trying to keep Daimon under control :mjlol:

Snowbird being the innocent

Sebastian being one step away from betraying the team, while being friendzoned by Elsa

Elsa being too drunk to give a shyt about any of it outside of killing monsters (and hating/wanting to fukk Blade)

Hercules enabling Elsa's recklessness, plus being the teams other expert (snowbird) on mythological threats
That would be a damn good comic book.

MikeBarnes

aka thejackroller, Jack Brannigan, Jack Birdbath
Daps
Reading Powers of X tomorrow.

Reading The Sandman books that I’ve had backlogged right now though.

If you’re a comic book fan and not reading The Dreaming, Lucifer, or House of Whispers right now, you’re pouring jelly on yourself :ufdup:
I was reading The Dreaming and then they had that issue with the art change where shyt just kind of went off to nowhere. Did it pick up after that? I was all in until then.

• Dap
Reactions: Jx2

Jx2

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I was reading The Dreaming and then they had that issue with the art change where shyt just kind of went off to nowhere. Did it pick up after that? I was all in until then.
Yeah that lasted for two issues and went off on a tangent. Books back to the original artwork (which is some of the best out right now) and the storyline’s back on track

TrueEpic08

Dum Shiny
Daps
Reppin
SoCal State Beaches
Why?

I've heard a lot of Non X-Men Marvel fans say this, partially because the X-Men's plight makes the rest of the world's heroes look selfish or inconsiderate but I don't see why its a bad idea. It very much mimic's White American's mentality and approach to minority struggles and issues. I think its a very needed touch.

I don't like it because it fundamentally makes no logical sense. In what world are humans aggrieved by people with superpowers going to differentiate between someone who's a mutant and someone who got their powers via cosmic accident? It stretches credibility and it lessens the whole concept of the X-Men in the process.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I don't like it because it fundamentally makes no logical sense. In what world are humans aggrieved by people with superpowers going to differentiate between someone who's a mutant and someone who got their powers via cosmic accident? It stretches credibility and it lessens the whole concept of the X-Men in the process.
That has always been my issue with the whole "hated by the world they have sworn to protect" thing with The X-Men.

People are scare of mutants powers which means the powers are the problem so why not be scared and hating on all the people with powers?
The Thing is roaming the streets looking like a monstrous nightmare.
Heroes like Thor claiming to be actual gods.
Motherfukking aliens from other planets flying around all willy nilly.
Artificial lifeforms being treated like tax-paying citizens and getting married to human women.
But a hot ass supermodel who can control the weather is who the world is going to want to save all their hate for?
That shyt just don't compute for me.

Dillah810

Flat Girther
Daps
Reppin
Flint, Michigan
Just got done reading Powers of X and I really didn't like it. I'm gonna drop it and just read House of X. This is the first time I dropped an X-book after just 1 issue.
Real world racism makes no logical sense.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Just got done reading Powers of X and I really didn't like it. I'm gonna drop it and just read House of X. This is the first time I dropped an X-book after just 1 issue.

Real world racism makes no logical sense.
Comparing the mutant hate to real life racism doesn't work either because racists are stupid yet we are supposed to believe that in the Marvel U the racists take the time to do their due diligence and make sure they are only hating mutants and not non-mutant superpowered people.
Now compare that to how after 9/11 racists were going after Sikhs and Indians because they were too ignorant to know they were not the same as the terrorists.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
The only thing that still "works" for the mutant racism is that they see themselves as a "people" (similar to Inhumans), thus you can translate fear of mutants to fear of the strength of a united mutant population. Superheroes are all spread out and team up to fight common threats but they're not actively gathering to form a nation and bring their people together as mutants do. You could make a case that Asgardians and Inhumans fit the same bill but Asgardians are off-world and the Inhumans until recent times (when they tried to make them complacent X-Men) have always kept themselves removed from society.

Btw, I also felt Powers Of X wasn't anywhere near as good as House Of X, but admittedly the book throws you even further into the deep than HoX did with the future stuff, so that might be case of waiting until Hickman starts to connect everything together.

voltronblack

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Comparing the mutant hate to real life racism doesn't work either because racists are stupid yet we are supposed to believe that in the Marvel U the racists take the time to do their due diligence and make sure they are only hating mutants and not non-mutant superpowered people.
Now compare that to how after 9/11 racists were going after Sikhs and Indians because they were too ignorant to know they were not the same as the terrorists.
Also to add to what you said their are black superheros who deal with real world racism like Luke Cage , Black Panther, Falcon even more so when he became captain america. then there Nighthawk from supreme power and Blue Marvel it really is hard to take the fantasy racism the xmen deal with seriously when you have characters that exist in the same world as they exist in who deal with real world racism. I mean look at blue marvel his backstory was that he had to put a mask and pretend to be white in order not to scare white americans of all powerful blackman.