Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

parallax

Superstar
Daps
Yeah Marvel has always given their black characters waaaaaaaaaayyyyy more shine than DC has.

I kinda feel in the casual (and even non-casua) comic reader's mind, they want Marvel to create black characters and instantly make them as popular as Spiderman and Wolverine. But since this can't be done at the snap of one's fingers, they dismiss the level of presence the other characters have.

DC, on the other hand. has never knew what the fukk they were doing when it comes to.... "minorities".

:mjlol: cause Marvel A-List writers over the last 20 years have been writing women from the viewpoint of angry, jilted non p*ssy getting nerds.

they dont have a problem with establishing latino heroes. utilizing them is a bit different. everyone else can hit the skids

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
they dont have a problem with establishing latino heroes. utilizing them is a bit different. everyone else can hit the skids

but see, there's the thing:

They simply write a good character with a good story and insert random spanish phrases in their dialogue.

Show their family lives.

Once the character is established, they drop the spanish phrases down a few notches and "normalize" them.

Meanwhile, and this is something you see at both companies, mind you....

you can't write a black character while either said character or supporting characters reminding you that they're black every issue.

You can't just throw them in some civil rights related story for their first or second arc and/or have them feeling bad because they're not hanging out in "Da Hood".

You can't make them generically "hood", either.

You're begging for failure.

Nighthawk works in his setting cause thats Nighthawk doing Nighthawk things.

Characters like Blue Marvel or Monica Rambeau work because they're black, non-whitewashed superheroes.

Characters like Destiny Ajaye from Top Cow's "genius" series is from South Central, she works because you don't have to be reminded who she is or where she's from every other panel. We get it.

Characters like Mosaic..... don't nobody wanna read that shyt.

Last edited:

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
I'd figure, if it were to happen, that Tim Drake would be the one Bendis would throw in and bring out of the closet. Basically the odd Robin out the bunch since Richard, Jason, and Damian all have a lane or shtick that is pretty popular. Richard has that big female fan base/heart throb, Damian being Batman's kid is enough, similar with Jason and the Red Hood background. Tim has his thing too but, mainstream wise, not like the others. I think he'd be easy pickings for Brian and for DC to look the other way with.

I think he'd just have Nightwing fukk every obscure female character he can get his hands on, like he did with Hawkeye, or make random out the blue couplings with known females like he did with Starlord and Kitty Pryde

parallax

Superstar
Daps
DC has better Asian characters if anything. Their latino characters suck.

It's the inverse. Their openly Latino characters(blue beetle, son of Vulcan) are good. It took Chinese superman for them to make a difference with Asian characters. The last Asian put on before him was Ryan choi. And ironically he got the goliath treatment

I'd figure, if it were to happen, that Tim Drake would be the one Bendis would throw in and bring out of the closet. Basically the odd Robin out the bunch since Richard, Jason, and Damian all have a lane or shtick that is pretty popular. Richard has that big female fan base/heart throb, Damian being Batman's kid is enough, similar with Jason and the Red Hood background. Tim has his thing too but, mainstream wise, not like the others. I think he'd be easy pickings for Brian and for DC to look the other way with.

I think he'd just have Nightwing fukk every obscure female character he can get his hands on, like he did with Hawkeye, or make random out the blue couplings with known females like he did with Starlord and Kitty Pryde

Pretty much where i stand with Tim. Hes a straggler that's about to get fed to jaws bendis. They really fukked up not putting him back in red robin pre flashpoint, because he's pretty much left to get fukked. And bendis' dumbass feeds into fan fiction apparently so that's really not going to help him

Last edited:

Walgreens

Be Well.
Supporter
Daps
Was watching Superman TAS..what's going on with Maxima in the comics???
I think she came back as a full-fledged villain in the New 52, but I'm not positive. I always thought she was a cool character in the early '90s. I liked that she was a villain that became a selfish, arrogant hot-headed hero and joined the JLA only because she wanted to get it on with Superman and produce a powerful offspring.

Not sure what they are doing with her now, but I'd love to see Maxima return and get a big push. Same with Nocturna from the Batman comics. They made her a full villain for New 52 as well, but she was much more complicated than that in the early '80s as a love interest for Batman. She was a big part of the Bat books for a few years.

Use code READCOMICS FOR AN ADDITIONAL 15%
Thanks! How'd you find this code? I didn't see it listed on their website.

This DC holiday sale on Comixology :wow:
I got to hold myself back from buying too much

Yeah, I'm gonna hold off and wait to see if I get an Amazon gift card before I pull the trigger on what I've got in my cart right now. :lolbron: I just wish the sale applied to single issues as well. I stocked up last year on when they did a similar sale for DC's single issues.

I heard about that site too. I JUST found it to read Secret Empire and finish up Squadrom Supreme. And no that shyt AINT legal.:heh:

Remember a comic site like that I use to love but it got shut down by the FBI.

Yeah, I can't believe this site exists and it's pretty popular, so it's hard to believe it hasn't been taken down. There's gotta be a loophole for it to continue-- site is hosted overseas or something?

Walgreens

Be Well.
Supporter
Daps
BTW -- does anyone else think Metal has sucked? :patrice: It's no different than some garbage that Morrison would write. I was going to check out all of the tie-ins, but nothing has impressed me about this event so far, so I'll just keep tabs on the main title to see where things end up.

Daps
Reppin
Latveria
The only black DC characters I like are Steel and Mr Terrific (fukk the version in arrow)

DC has better Asian characters than black characters

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
Yeah Marvel has always given their black characters waaaaaaaaaayyyyy more shine than DC has.

I kinda feel in the casual (and even non-casua) comic reader's mind, they want Marvel to create black characters and instantly make them as popular as Spiderman and Wolverine. But since this can't be done at the snap of one's fingers, they dismiss the level of presence the other characters have.

DC, on the other hand. has never knew what the fukk they were doing when it comes to.... "minorities".
Agreed.

:mjlol: cause Marvel A-List writers over the last 20 years have been writing women from the viewpoint of angry, jilted non p*ssy getting nerds.

Untrue. Those nerds you speak of ACTUALLY like their characters oversexualized which is why Harley and Power Girl are so popuiar to them. Marvel instead has been pandering to feminist.

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nobody got love for Earth 2 Superman or Batwing for the Nu52?
Batwing's book was good, imo, and E2 Superman was dope whenever he appeared.

John Stewart comes correct in GL Corps, also.
Black Lightning looks like he gonna get a push with that CW show. He had a mini in the 1990s that I really liked as a kid.

I really can't say which ones does black characters better. DC more or less has a character who just so happens to be black, where as Marvel sometimes makes it part of the story, for better or for worse.