Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
I finished The Loved Ones.

I did enjoy it. It reminded me of the cute girl from high school that nobody dated because she was very very very weird.

If this was an American Movie the 3 main characters would probably have their genders flipped. In America we love to torture the teenage girls for some reason. The family would also be more rural like TCM, Wrong Turn, or Hills Have Eyes.
At first I thought the father was just going along with his daughter's twisted fantasy.

The fight at the end between the two teenage girls being realistic was funny, and a great change from final show downs in something like F13th or even The Hunt.

I agree with you guys that Australian horror movies are gorey. I'd say the Aussies and the French are two countries that always deliver plenty blood. Also I think there's roadkill in every Australian horror movie.

It's fun seeing how different countries handle horror and the common themes in their movies. In America I'd say that the most common themes are christianity, racism, feminizim, and wealth distribution.

The Goth girl is Sonya Blade in the new Mortal Kombat movies:mjtf: talk about a glow up:wow:

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
@Duke Dixon

Re: ‘The Loved Ones’

Ngl…

I thought homeboy was gonna wind up cross-eyed and too…uh…slow to make his way out of that crazy bytch’s house. :damn:

When they panned the camera back on bro after going to work with that drill, I was bracing for

Hc3m6lGn_400x400.jpg

fukkin’ satisfying ending though. :whew:

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
‘Salem’s Lot’ (2024):

A film that’s exclusively straight to Max for a reason, but I still had some fun with it. Agree with @987654321 in the other thread on this being better suited as a mini-series instead. The fall of the town in this feels half-baked and untapped because of such. Sucks because I thought the vampires were actually menacing in this.

Besides that, my MVP was little breh, Mark (aka Blade Jr.) and it was cool to see Alfre Woodard in a role where she wasn’t playing a sick and bedridden character. :leon:

At least we still got ‘Welcome to Derry’ coming soon. The level of dread in that series should be a night and day difference compared to this thanks in large part to its episodic run. Execs must really like what they see in it to have it switch from a Max Original to HBO proper.

abominable1

the fukkery, the sweet ,sweet fukkery
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM
Horror thread's 31 days of Halloween List -

3. Salem's Lot 2024 (Max)

My initial thought was where was Mike Flanagan when this became available.
I was.........just.........whelmed....... Its serviceable
there is not enough dread in this and its.........................too clean??? (for lack of a better term)
the cinematography is way too crisp, its set in the 70's and looks too good, its not grimey, & not enough blood.
like people were cosplaying people in the 1970's
To me its one step above a horror comedy
the vampires are vicious though, Barlow was mysterious and demented, thought he would have held out longer in the finale though
loved the Count Orlock look too.
but - its an entertaining movie, better than the remake and the sequel to me - but not touching the original mini series

But Blade junior was 10 toes down Standing on Business through the entire flick! :russ: :salute:
with all that being said , its is enjoyable, if you haven't seen the original, it would be a damned good flick.
Classic horror with a GEN X top coat.

Last edited:

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
So Salem’s Lot is just average?

For horror movies that I've seen from this year its ok. Its mid but the best of the mid imo. If I made a list it'd probably look like:

Recommend
Late Night with the Devil
Immaculate
Abigail(If you enjoy horror comedies)

Worth a Watch
Longlegs
In a Violent Nature(I think this movie is hilarious. I don't know if that's the intention)
Speak No Evil
Maxxxine

Various Types of Mid
Salem's Lot

Subservience
Trap(Josh Hartnett saves this movie)
The Deliverance
Night Shift

Time Spent Better Doing Something Else
Apartment 7A
Lisa Frankenstein(I'm not the demographic for this movie at all)

Skip at all costs
Watchers
The Front Room
Night Swim
The Exorcism(I didn't even bother to finish this)

Edit: add the Sarah Paulson Dust Bowl movie, Hold Yout Breath, to the tsbdse or skip category.

Last edited:

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
For horror movies that I've seen from this year its ok. Its mid but the best of the mid imo. If I made a list it'd probably look like:

Recommend
Late Night with the Devil
Immaculate
Abigail(If you enjoy horror comedies)

Worth a Watch
Longlegs
In a Violent Nature(I think this movie is hilarious. I don't know if that's the intention)
Speak No Evil
Maxxxine

Various Types of Mid
Salem's Lot

Subservience
Trap(Josh Hartnett saves this movie)
The Deliverance
Night Shift

Time Spent Better Doing Something Else
Apartment 7A
Lisa Frankenstein(I'm not the demographic for this movie at all)

Skip at all costs
Watchers
The Front Room
Night Swim
The Exorcism(I didn't even bother to finish this)
I’ve seen a few listed and have some in my backlog. I gotta see if I can find Late Night With the Devil. The synopsis sounds interesting and it has some positive reviews here.

Despite not really getting into the mini-series, I was gonna give the movie a watch, but I’ll pass now.

Jx2

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
In Horror scream queen related news, it sounds like Mia Goth's crazy/sexy/ no eyebrows having ass is about to be back on the market :gurl:

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Horror thread's 31 days of Halloween List -
1. Triangle (Prime)
2. The Loved Ones (Paramount+)
3. Salem's Lot 2024 (Max)
4. Be My Cat: A Film for Anne (Tubi)

5. VHS Beyond (Shudder)
6. *Choose your own*
7. Don't Go in the House (Tubi, Youtube)
8. Cure (Internet Archive)
9. Masque of the Red Death(Pluto/Apple TV+)
10. The Eyes of My Mother (Max)
11. Henry Portait of a Serial Killer (Peacock)
12. Curse of Chucky (Netflix)
13. *Choose your own*
14. Junk (2000) (Youtube)
15. Detention (2011) (Tubi)
16. Sleepaway Camp (Peacock)
17. The Skeleton Key(Peacock/Apple TV+)
18. The Witch (Max)
19. Brain Damage 1988 (Tubi)
20. *Choose your own*
21. Audition (Tubi)
22. J. D.'s Revenge(Tubi/Brown Sugar/Prime)
23. Dead Silence (Tubi)
24. Sinister (Max)
25. World War Z (Paramount Plus)
26. The Burbs (Youtube)
27. *Choose your own*
28. 28 Days Later
29. Black Christmas (Tubi)
30. The Shining(MAX/Apple TV+)
31. John Carpenter's Halloween

Today we get a twofer, because I saved Salem's Lot until late. I put a chunk of thoughts into the Salem's Lot thread, so I'll condense it here:
An author returns to his hometown of Jerusalem's Lot in search of inspiration for his next book, only to discover that the townspeople are being attacked by a bloodthirsty vampire.

From the opening score, I knew I'd be comparing this too much to the original. That's not really fair because the original is a two-part miniseries that allowed everything to breathe a bit more. I can't explain it, but the town felt more alive in the original, making everything hit harder as characters faced death. This new one feels like a speedrun toward the iconic moments of the OG version.

But if I remove the comparison, this is a fine movie. It's plenty entertaining for a fairly long run time, and some of the shots are GREAT. The forest scene is beautifully put together, and a race for sunlight at the drive-in theater genuinely feels tense. I also feel like newcomers will get a sense of "anyone can die" that was lost on me since I saw the original.

Anyway, a firm 6 out of 10 for me...not great, but a better showing for a brand makeover than the Exorcist, the Strangers, or a bunch of other lifeless remakes. It's just never gonna live up to one of my favorite horror movies of all time.

Now let's move on to what I find to be one of the very few truly disturbing Found-Footage films...Be My Cat.
An aspiring filmmaker goes to shocking extremes to convince Hollywood actress Anne Hathaway to star in his film. First entry in Adrian Tofei's trilogy which includes We Put the World to Sleep and Pure.

This movie has two things that make the found footage feel almost real. The performances all feel organic and the low-budgetness of it create a feeling like this dude could really be some psychopath that's obsessed with Anne Hathaway. The way the lead harasses and bothers his "actressed" and the way it spirals until it feels like a found footage version of American Psycho is just *chef's kiss*

I don't know many found footage films that feel both grounded and disturbingly dark. But this hits that mark, making it one of my most memorable found footage films but also one that I only recommend to horror officianados.

6.5 out of 10...

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
Today we get a twofer, because I saved Salem's Lot until late. I put a chunk of thoughts into the Salem's Lot thread, so I'll condense it here:

From the opening score, I knew I'd be comparing this too much to the original. That's not really fair because the original is a two-part miniseries that allowed everything to breathe a bit more. I can't explain it, but the town felt more alive in the original, making everything hit harder as characters faced death. This new one feels like a speedrun toward the iconic moments of the OG version.

But if I remove the comparison, this is a fine movie. It's plenty entertaining for a fairly long run time, and some of the shots are GREAT. The forest scene is beautifully put together, and a race for sunlight at the drive-in theater genuinely feels tense. I also feel like newcomers will get a sense of "anyone can die" that was lost on me since I saw the original.

Anyway, a firm 6 out of 10 for me...not great, but a better showing for a brand makeover than the Exorcist, the Strangers, or a bunch of other lifeless remakes. It's just never gonna live up to one of my favorite horror movies of all time.

I agree with you from the Salem's Lot thread that this is towards younger audiences. They got the guy that wrote IT and that was a huge hit for Gen Z. Like everyone else I wish the movie had more time to breath.

I don't think its bad because I've been watching some truly bad films like The Front Room, Evil Toons, and Nothing But Trouble(actually don't really hate this:pachaha: its Texas Chainsaw Massacre for kids).

I also watched Stay Tuned with John Ritter which I enjoyed, but I think its dated with all the references so its hard to recommend for people that never watched TV on a fatback.

Now let's move on to what I find to be one of the very few truly disturbing Found-Footage films...Be My Cat.

I'll read you're review for this after I watch it. I didn't realize this was the Anne Hathaway movie by the name. I heard about this on a horror doc or YouTube video and completely forgot about it.

I did watch VHS Beyond, and I had a lot of fun with it. The 2nd and last segments stood out to me. I'm interested in reading more opinions soon.