Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
Watched it too and liked it. Not as much as Nightwatch, but definitely dope.

I think we're too far gone and too deep in zombies at this point for another version of this. The Walking Dead is another version of this and its been on tv for 10 plus years now. In a few years tho, maybe,

:russ:
I think it would work just due to the fact it has the most famous zombie title of all time. Also it differs from Walking Dead in the sense its such an isolated plot and premise. Just need good actors and better practical effects. My main complaint with the remake was some of the zombie actors weren't very convincing and the writing was weak in some scenes. Savini isn't a great director but he did his best, but the creepy factor can be upped to 100 on a movie like this.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I think it would work just due to the fact it has the most famous zombie title of all time. Also it differs from Walking Dead in the sense its such an isolated plot and premise. Just need good actors and better practical effects. My main complaint with the remake was some of the zombie actors weren't very convincing and the writing was weak in some scenes. Savini isn't a great director but he did his best, but the creepy factor can be upped to 100 on a movie like this.

Yeah my thing isn't whether it would work or not. I think its easy to make it work now. question is what do you have to say now and is there the same appeal since its on tv every week. What more is there to glean from the zombies the way we do them? One reason Train to Busan is as dope as it is is because it's different and zombies from a different perspective.

But also, this is all personal preference because I'm bored with American zombie movies at this point. especially since no one is really using them to say anything socially relevant. They're just excuses for gore and violence, which is cool, but not Romero

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
Yeah my thing isn't whether it would work or not. I think its easy to make it work now. question is what do you have to say now and is there the same appeal since its on tv every week. What more is there to glean from the zombies the way we do them? One reason Train to Busan is as dope as it is is because it's different and zombies from a different perspective.

But also, this is all personal preference because I'm bored with American zombie movies at this point. especially since no one is really using them to say anything socially relevant. They're just excuses for gore and violence, which is cool, but not Romero
Just look around bruh. Our country is full of mindless zombies known as trump supporters. :russ:

Imagine a scene where the president says he won't help because the zombies are centered in blue states. Or the victims are mostly minorities (covid).

I mean there's a lot that can be done with the zombie genre still but I agree with you people need to think outside the box without dwelling on those themes too much which distracts from the movie. Thats where good writing comes in. :takedat:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Just look around bruh. Our country is full of mindless zombies known as trump supporters. :russ:

Imagine a scene where the president says he won't help because the zombies are centered in blue states. Or the victims are mostly minorities (covid).

I mean there's a lot that can be done with the zombie genre still but I agree with you people need to think outside the box without dwelling on those themes too much which distracts from the movie. Thats where good writing comes in. :takedat:

Too easy tho! Low hanging ass fruit. Also all Romero zombie movies are about conformity in one way or another and that's all that is. Someone will crack the code but I think itll be a while for real. like I said, walking dead hovers like a damn cloud over the horror world right now

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Did a rewatch Hellraiser 1 and 2

Going to research Clive Barker tomorrow and the Hellraiser series in general before I do my deep dive.

But you this top comment on Youtube said Clive even sounds like a Cenobite

:russ:

Hellraiser 3 is still dope to me. It falls off a cliff after that. The documentaries about the first two movies are fire though.

Barker is a super interesting character in his own right for sure. The concept for his book Mr. B Gone is absolute flames. It’s basically written as a possessed book and the demon possessing it is tell you how he got there in a first person Meta-style narrative.

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
Too easy tho! Low hanging ass fruit. Also all Romero zombie movies are about conformity in one way or another and that's all that is. Someone will crack the code but I think itll be a while for real. like I said, walking dead hovers like a damn cloud over the horror world right now
I haven't watched walking dead in years. Dgaf about it. I think you missing the broader vision though. Call it low hanging fruit but what isn't? We are over exposed to every subject and idea.

It's the execution that counts. You can run a boring up the middle run but if you execute it right you can run an 80 yard td.

Straw Hat Luffy

Veteran
Daps
Hellraiser 3 is still dope to me. It falls off a cliff after that. The documentaries about the first two movies are fire though.

Barker is a super interesting character in his own right for sure. The concept for his book Mr. B Gone is absolute flames. It’s basically written as a possessed book and the demon possessing it is tell you how he got there in a first person Meta-style narrative.
I’ll do my take on him and the first two movies a little later today. But on this watch I finally got what makes Hellraiser so good. After the rewatches I wanted to find out about Barker. And come to find out this man also created the story to Candyman. :ohhh::ohhh::ohhh::ohhh: This man is a fukking legend.

seems like he has a lot of popular novels that I have to check out.

kind of grimy how he doesn’t get mentioned up there from casuals like they do with Stephen King

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC

I think Cult >>> Zombies if we're doing political commentary on the current MAGA Trump thing. Although I'd be all for making a horror comedy where the president is a zombie and his administration and supporters refuse to acknowledge it (while more and more are zombies as time goes on). You'd have to rework how Zombie behavior works a bit but I think it could be a really funny allegory for how these fools acted around COVID.

I also think the Sawyers could be reimagined in a way that turns Texas Chainsaw Massacre into an allegory about ICE and how it treated refugees during this span. Leatherface feels like a fitting face of horror to fit allegories about people's crappy views built on skin and I'd be lying if I said I haven't toyed with the idea a few times in simple outlines.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I haven't watched walking dead in years. Dgaf about it. I think you missing the broader vision though. Call it low hanging fruit but what isn't? We are over exposed to every subject and idea.

It's the execution that counts. You can run a boring up the middle run but if you execute it right you can run an 80 yard td.
That’s true too. Just think the best zombie movies are the ones that don’t tackle low hanging fruit and go beneath surface and work on multiple levels. Like dawn of the dead isn’t just about consumerism. It’s also about baby boomers but also about social issues but also about greed but also about complacency etc etc.

and I haven’t watched walking dead in about 4 years but I can’t front on it’s ubiquity.
I think Cult >>> Zombies if we're doing political commentary on the current MAGA Trump thing. Although I'd be all for making a horror comedy where the president is a zombie and his administration and supporters refuse to acknowledge it (while more and more are zombies as time goes on). You'd have to rework how Zombie behavior works a bit but I think it could be a really funny allegory for how these fools acted around COVID.

I also think the Sawyers could be reimagined in a way that turns Texas Chainsaw Massacre into an allegory about ICE and how it treated refugees during this span. Leatherface feels like a fitting face of horror to fit allegories about people's crappy views built on skin and I'd be lying if I said I haven't toyed with the idea a few times in simple outlines.

yeah the cult shyt feels more in line and more dangerous. Just show a Jonestown documentary lol

DosCadenaz

Superstar
Daps
1. Color out of Space - 9
2. Host - 8
3. Green Room - 7
4. Sleepaway Camp - 9
5. Silent Hill - 6
6. Child's Play 2 - 8
7. Creep - 7
8. Hubie Halloween - 5.5
9. Bride of Chucky - 9
10. Curse of Chuck - 9.5
11. Cult of Chucky - 9.5
12. Child's Play - 7
13. Phantasm - 7.5
14. Scream 4 - 7
15. Psycho - 10
16. Halloween - 10
17. Black Christmas OG - 10
18. Haunting of Bly Manor - 8
19. Beetlejuice - 10

Lord_nikon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
That's some bullshyt.
I still would watch The Great Pumpkin on network TV every year with commercials and all just for the nostalgia factor alone.
:mjcry:
Imma download The Great Pumpkin and watch it on my PLex just as a fukk you to Apple.

Think my copy of the great pumpkin is okay,
The Halloween tree copy tho,,, looks ass lol

61YVN9l8lML._SL1000_.jpg

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Couldn’t figure out what this was when I saw the cover on shudder (to be fair I didn’t try too hard). Is this a recent movie that’s a mockumentary of a 70s special?
It's set in 1987 complete with time period accurate parody commercials.
I think it was made in 2013.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
MV5BNzYxZTE2ZWYtMGYxNS00OTFlLTkyYmMtYzVkZjI0ZTdmYzdkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_UY1200_CR89,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

I think this is a good remake. Too bad Savini didn't get his cut released, would like to have seen what was left out. I think another remake is due and in the right hands a dope version can be made.
I actually like the 1990 remake more than the original.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You

Have the house that the people end up hiding in be a microcosm of our current hyper-polarized socio-political quagmire.
A couple Trumper's, a few wokey wokes, toss in a Karen or two...just make it as uncomfortable as possible and then add zombies.