Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
Can we discuss watching horror films with a group of people vs watching them alone? I feel like unless you're watching a horror comedy a group of people seem to ruin a good serious horror film. In groups people handle fear or anxiety by making jokes or not taking things seriously, especially when we're just at someone's crib smoking an drinking beers and not in a theater setting. However when you're alone there are no external outlets to drain your anxiety or fear and you can take it serious and be immersed and truly horrified.
Rarely do I ever watch horror movies with a group of people. I have 1 or 2 people that are my “go-tos” because they are receptive and can relate to my interest in it. Other than I’m not watching with a group of non-horror watchers who don’t understand the concepts; i tend to get annoyed and they would get on my nerves taking away from the experience. It is more immersive without distractions - that’s the same reason why i rarely go to opening weekends if I see one in the theater, I’ll wait until the hype or buzz dies down, weeks later and there’s like 20 people in the theater. Most of my friends are hard to persuade into watching horror movies anyway.
:mjlol::deadmanny:

DosCadenaz

Superstar
Daps
Child's Play 1 and 2 might not even be the best Chucky movies.
Watching Curse right now and Curse, Cult and Bride of Chucky are all FIRE

Daps
Reppin
Denver
Can we discuss watching horror films with a group of people vs watching them alone? I feel like unless you're watching a horror comedy a group of people seem to ruin a good serious horror film. In groups people handle fear or anxiety by making jokes or not taking things seriously, especially when we're just at someone's crib smoking an drinking beers and not in a theater setting. However when you're alone there are no external outlets to drain your anxiety or fear and you can take it serious and be immersed and truly horrified.
Same with watching in theaters. I remember some dude trying to crack jokes all the way through hereditary and it just killed the experience. But on the other hand if you’re lucky enough to get a whole theater that’s into it, it’s great. It was like that when I saw paranormal activity

PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps
Same with watching in theaters. I remember some dude trying to crack jokes all the way through hereditary and it just killed the experience. But on the other hand if you’re lucky enough to get a whole theater that’s into it, it’s great. It was like that when I saw paranormal activity
This is literally the movie my friends were doing this during. I eventually screamed at my homey "SHUT THE fukk UP!!!!!!!!! THE MOVIE IS ALMOST OVER, JUST SHUT THE fukk UP THEN YOU CAN TALK!!" lmao. These motherfukkers completely failed the scaretober movie experiment. :snoop: so next time we're watching Evil Dead.

When i watched hereditary alone it was one of the most disturbing movie experiences ever. Wanted to share that with friends. never again. I'll just tell them to watch it alone.

Last edited:

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC

It’s gotta be the right crowd. When everyone’s into a movie, it can be great. When everyone hits the same wavelength, the horror gets enhanced. Unfortunately, that’s hard to capture though. I watch mostly alone or only with one or two others that I know will be interested.

Daps
Reppin
Denver
This is literally the movie my friends were doing this during. I eventually screamed at my homey "SHUT THE fukk UP!!!!!!!!! THE MOVIE IS ALMOST OVER, JUST SHUT THE fukk UP THEN YOU CAN TALK!!" lmao. These motherfukkers completely failed the scaretober movie experiment. :snoop: so next time we're watching Evil Dead.

When i watched hereditary alone it was one of the most disturbing movie experiences ever. Wanted to share that with friends. never again. I'll just tell them to watch it alone.
You gotta have the right people. My wife is great because if we’re watching something and she’s not feeling it, she’ll just go on her phone for the rest of it. Then I got a couple friends with similar sensibilities as me so if we’re all not feeling it, we’ll just start roasting it.

besides that, I’m not watching any horror that I’m actually interested in with anybody else.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
So I started my Nightstream marathon'ing with a film called The Night, mainly off the strength of reading that it's a haunted hotel psychological horror. An Iranian couple with a newborn stop at hotel late one night after drinks with friends and wind up in a place that seems to toy with them through apparitions and experiences.

I really, really liked it fam. The score is all sorts of fantastic (I can't praise it enough) and the aesthetics are great. The characters are fully realized with history and experiences that we learn about first through conversations with friends and then through the ways that they're haunted and how they react to each incident.

The creators were patient, maybe to a fault depending on your taste. It has a lengthy set up portion and the creepiness is a lot more subtle early on. But when things get crazy, it escalates quickly and the tension stays very high almost through the entirety of the experience. This isn't slow burn with no crescendo; it's a slow burn into crescendo after crescendo of intensifying scares and hauntings.

Visually, it's a home run. There are so many memorable images that keep creeping back into my head as I think on the flick. Shots are claustrophobic, the camera moves in ways that add to the discomfort and the performances of the actors are intensified by the camera work.

The movie is a bit on the long side for horror. It's an hour and 44 minutes, predominantly subtitled (the Iranian couple speaks Farsi) but I don't think that's much of an obstacle these days...especially with the horror community. What matters is this ish is written, directed and performed with care. It's really, really good!

And I was that hype before I peeped the Q&A with the director which included some interesting info about the movie. It's the first U.S. produced film to get licensed to play in Iran.

I'm seriously rooting for success for this joint. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I think a lot of horror fans will. Add in the cultural relevance and impact it could have and I'm extra hype.

U.S. Produced ‘The Night’ Gets License For Theatrical Release In Iran – Deadline

The Kourosh Ahari-directed psychological thriller The Night has landed a license for theatrical release in Iran. This is a historic benchmark for the country’s filmmaking community as it is the first U.S.-produced film to receive a license for theatrical release in Iran since the revolution.

Iran’s strict guidelines about what can be released theatrically in the country and its impact on artistic expression has received backlash from Iranian filmmakers including Mohammad Rasoulof (There Is No Evil), Asghar Farhadi (A Separation) as well as Rakhshan Bani Etemad. The country’s guidelines also require films to obtain a permit on a script before going into production. The Night, which is a U.S. and Iran co-production, managed to receive this permit before the Trump Administration’s new Iran sanctions at the end of 2018.

Shot stateside, The Night marks Ahari’s feature directorial debut and stars Shahab Hosseini (Cannes 2016 Best Actor winner for The Salesman) and Niousha Jafarian (Here and Now) as an Iranian couple who find themselves locked inside an old hotel with their one-year-old daughter. While attempting to make the best of this creepy hotel, an outside force pushes them to share the secrets they’ve hidden from each other. How, and if, they check out depends on how carefully they question everything and anyone that comes across their path.

The Night made its world premiere at Santa Barbara International Film Festival in January and, like many films, its distribution was impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. As theaters begin to open in Iran, the film is looking to debut theatrically and overcome political relations between U.S. and Iran, the pandemic as well as Iran’s strict regulations from the Film Screening Licensing Council.

In addition to breaking barriers as the first U.S.-produced film to receive a license for theatrical release in Iran, the film employed a diverse cast and crew made up of predominantly Iranian immigrants who are legal citizens/green card holders, or US-born Iranian-Americans. All department heads leading the production, from production through post were also Iranian or of Iranian descent.