Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Alright, Monsterland has gotten a few posts in this thread and I'm 6 episodes in. I wanna go in on it a bit as a series and let that inform episodes breakdowns. So let's start with some common threads and themes throughout the series to set up how I'ma evaluate each episode.

Someone compared Monsterland to Black Mirror but with Monsters...Pretty accurate. Black Mirror uses technology to show problems within our society or mindsets at its best. It also stands out for subversion, hitting you with a twist that changes the way you view everything that you watched prior to the revelation. The tech helps magnify problems for the characters or their society but in general; those problems would have existed with or without the tech...

So Monsterland aims for subversion as a big part of its focus. The Monsters replace the tech but by focusing so much on subversion; it can be sloppy or unclear in delivering a cohesive message. What's worse, because they tackle the absolute darkest subject matter you could ask for; the sloppy messaging could easily come across offensive or exploitative. Sometimes we see good characters punished for reasons well beyond their control and other times we see awful acts portrayed through a sympathetic lens.

I wanna stress though, that I think they were sincere with the goals they had. This series plays out like trying to make sense of the desperation which leads people to do bad things. The monsters embody the psychological trauma that would lead someone to rationalize terrible behavior...sometimes effective and sometimes an epic fail. It's an attempt at modern American Gothic horror. Poverty, isolation and desperation are constants in almost every story. That sets it up where the monsters are usually the least of the characters worries; that hurts the horror and entertainment factor while pumping up the drama and sadness.

Last bit on the overall series thoughts: The first couple of episodes were the toughest pills to swallow of the bunch. I'm not sure if it's that I got more used to the themes by episodes 3 and 4 or if they were just especially incohesive, but I'd suggesting picking locales you're familiar with first. Episodes are only loosely connected by some easter eggs that pop up (black mirror style) anyway.

Anyway, I still want to tackle each individual episode to point out where I think there were flashes of serious potential. The casting was super strong, performances are great throughout and the quality of effects is a step up from the Into the Dark type stuff. I could see the writing getting tighter on this stuff and really hitting a stride. So I'll probably get that cracking with some episode by episode breakdowns that include a bit of spoilers and do a power ranking type approach like I've done for some previous series.

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
This is actually pretty good so far.
Had to look the brother up in the 1st story cause i was losing my mind tryna figure out where hes from.
That show Ballers on HBO.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
Watching Blumhouse’s Black Box - horror movies are not supposed to make you cry, when that little girl started crying to her dad - that was hard to take in. bless her little hurt
source.gif

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
Tales From the Hood 3 was pretty good if Im being honest.

The one with mama from A Thin Red Line was probably my favorite story.

7/10

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
Watching Blumhouse’s Black Box - horror movies are not supposed to make you cry, when that little girl started crying to her dad - that was hard to take in. bless her little hurt
source.gif
Ava, the daughter - “you forgot about me yesterday”

Father- “I’m sick. Things will get better”

Ava- “Thats What you said yesterday, Let me go make dinner”

father: “No, come on, you don’t have to”

ava- “But I do, someone has to, who else will??”

:mjcry::mjcry:
I’m going to be sick if something happens to this little girl in this movie.
tenor.gif

There’s no crying in horror, they said.
tenor.gif