Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

Lord_nikon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
watch silent hill 2006 again, still one of the most creepy and fukk up movies I have seen :mjlit::lupe:

1937e055ff78654078ca37a1f63ab318.gif

972f8d42d419b043be4096b6ed60941c.gif

c7aad3062ad92633af629022f4da3111.gif

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Since we're not posting lists of horror flicks this year (so far anyway), figured I'd go with what Polygon is doing. 31 days, 31 movies. Here's their first: Picnic on Hanging Rock

Halloween Countdown: 31 days of streaming horror, updated daily

I did a couple of rush lists just trying to mix classics and lesser knowns but I haven't been happy with my lists (also, I think I might cop that festival pass and just go off with posts on first impressions for new ish).

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Also on my Halloween to-do list this year...Hunt A Killer just dropped a Blair Witch themed box set:

Blair Witch | Hunt A Killer: Horror

These usually work like a detective type deal, I've never done one but was curious. Now that we got a Blair Witch theme, I ordered the box to give it a one time try and see what it's like (anyone else interested lemme know because I get referral bonuses lol).

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Saw this move called Stage Fright. It's a horror musical with a bit of dark comedy. I don't care for musicals, but this was solid. :ehh:

STAGE FRIGHT
9N3G7tm.jpg

Synopsis: Starry-eyed teenager Camilla Swanson wants to follow in her mother’s footsteps and become a Broadway diva, but she’s stuck working in the kitchen of a snobby performing arts camp. Determined to change her destiny, she sneaks in to audition for the summer showcase and lands a lead role in the play, but just as rehearsals begin, blood starts to spill, and Camilla soon finds herself terrified by the horror of musical theatre.

The Good:
Stage Fright gets points for originality…setting a slasher movie at a musical theater camp is a new one to add to the genre. And making it into a full scale musical horror movie was not something you see every day either. And the musical part really needs to be stressed...a lot of things I have seen written about Stage Fright has mentioned it was a mash-up of Glee and Scream which is just not true at all. This is a "musical-musical" where people break out into song at a moments notice and sing their inner thoughts and whatnot. A more fitting description would be “Phantom of The Opera meets Sleepaway Camp” if I was going to make a mash-up comparison.
And I absolutely loved that the killer in this movie sang all of his songs like a demented Brian Johnson from AC/DC.

The Bad:
For a slasher movie their was an alarming lack of slashing for my taste. This movie really needed to up the body count and play around more with some of the tropes of the slasher genre than it did.

The Ugly:
For a musical these songs were dreadful. There were no songs that are likely to get stuck in your head because the music is so forgettable and after awhile you just want everyone to shut up and get busy with the murdering.

Final Verdict: An ambitious stab at adding something new to the slasher horror genre but nothing really works as well as everyone involved clearly wanted it to. Stage Fright is not nearly bloody enough for a slasher movie and features middling songs not memorable enough for it to be considered a good musical so it ended up leaving this fan of both genres disappointed.

Stage Fright gets 2 Mr. Simms:
Sl2lMnG.png
Sl2lMnG.png