Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
It’s Thursday , Halloween is officially here. Let’s get this month of horror started
giphy.gif

e76e05c93754f3049ec3cd23a776ce31.gif

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I did a couple of rush lists just trying to mix classics and lesser knowns but I haven't been happy with my lists (also, I think I might cop that festival pass and just go off with posts on first impressions for new ish).
Today through Sunday will just be a hodge podge of horror movies that have captured my interest and then it's theme weeks. Took me forever to come up with a list I was happy with. I think I scrapped about 5 or 6 lists before settling on this one.

Week 1: Aliens Have Invaded My Body Week!

Monday: Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)

Tuesday: The Faculty

Wednesday: Body Snatchers

Thursday: Assimilation

Friday: Slither

Saturday: Invaders from Mars

Sunday: The Thing (1982)

Week 2: Hungry Like The Wolf Week!

Monday: Wolfen

Tuesday: Howl

Wednesday: Ginger Snaps

Thursday: Late Phases

Friday: The Howling

Saturday: Silver Bullet

Sunday: American Werewolf in London

Week 3: Third Time's The Charm Week!

Monday: Halloween III: Season of the Witch

Tuesday: The Purge: Election Year

Wednesday: Scream 3

Thursday: Psycho III

Friday: Phantasm III: Lord of The Dead

Saturday: Day of the Dead

Sunday: A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors

Week 4: Remake Week!

Monday: The Crazies (2010)

Tuesday: Maniac (2012)

Wednesday: The Blob (1988)

Thursday: The Town That Dreaded Sundown (2014)

Friday: Poltergeist (2015)

Saturday: Halloween (2018)

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
STAGE FRIGHT
9N3G7tm.jpg

Synopsis: Starry-eyed teenager Camilla Swanson wants to follow in her mother’s footsteps and become a Broadway diva, but she’s stuck working in the kitchen of a snobby performing arts camp. Determined to change her destiny, she sneaks in to audition for the summer showcase and lands a lead role in the play, but just as rehearsals begin, blood starts to spill, and Camilla soon finds herself terrified by the horror of musical theatre.

The Good:
Stage Fright gets points for originality…setting a slasher movie at a musical theater camp is a new one to add to the genre. And making it into a full scale musical horror movie was not something you see every day either. And the musical part really needs to be stressed...a lot of things I have seen written about Stage Fright has mentioned it was a mash-up of Glee and Scream which is just not true at all. This is a "musical-musical" where people break out into song at a moments notice and sing their inner thoughts and whatnot. A more fitting description would be “Phantom of The Opera meets Sleepaway Camp” if I was going to make a mash-up comparison.
And I absolutely loved that the killer in this movie sang all of his songs like a demented Brian Johnson from AC/DC.

The Bad:
For a slasher movie their was an alarming lack of slashing for my taste. This movie really needed to up the body count and play around more with some of the tropes of the slasher genre than it did.

The Ugly:
For a musical these songs were dreadful. There were no songs that are likely to get stuck in your head because the music is so forgettable and after awhile you just want everyone to shut up and get busy with the murdering.

Final Verdict: An ambitious stab at adding something new to the slasher horror genre but nothing really works as well as everyone involved clearly wanted it to. Stage Fright is not nearly bloody enough for a slasher movie and features middling songs not memorable enough for it to be considered a good musical so it ended up leaving this fan of both genres disappointed.

Stage Fright gets 2 Mr. Simms:
Sl2lMnG.png
Sl2lMnG.png

Whoever wrote this is terrible. There was enough slashing for this movie; body count was at least 6-8 people. Dudes are so picky because there’s “not enough.” :scust:

And the musical acts aren’t meant to be remembered. This isn’t Sound of Music. :comeon:

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Whoever wrote this is terrible. There was enough slashing for this movie; body count was at least 6-8 people. Dudes are so picky because there’s “not enough.” :scust:

And the musical acts aren’t meant to be remembered. This isn’t Sound of Music. :comeon:
I wrote it.:sas1:

And if you make a musical you should make snappy music to put into it. Otherwise the movie needed to just be a straight slasher flick.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
I wrote it.:sas1:

And if you make a musical you should make snappy music to put into it. Otherwise the movie needed to just be a straight slasher flick.

The musical was just a backdrop for a horror movie. Just because your picky doesn’t mean a movie must be this or that. It was a creative effort that came out well.