Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Some kind of way I made it all the way to 2018 without seeing any of the scream movies, candy man, I know what you did last summer and most of the final destination movies. My girl was shocked and made us marathon them over a month. Good times. I gotta say my least favorite of all those movies from that time would be I know what you did last summer. There was some movie we watched with busta rhymes that wasn’t bad.

Did Busta kung-fu kick Michael Myers out a window? That Halloween had some cool ideas and potential but wound up going full schlock status on execution.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Did Busta kung-fu kick Michael Myers out a window? That Halloween had some cool ideas and potential but wound up going full schlock status on execution.

Wasn't out of a window but yeah he did do that. and the idea of a streaming reality tv show halloween is ahead of its time and good. the execution though didn't work for me, like you said.

Also fell into that trap of everything revolving around the Myers house

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Some kind of way I made it all the way to 2018 without seeing any of the scream movies, candy man, I know what you did last summer and most of the final destination movies. My girl was shocked and made us marathon them over a month. Good times. I gotta say my least favorite of all those movies from that time would be I know what you did last summer. There was some movie we watched with busta rhymes that wasn’t bad.

You need a list? We got you

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Wasn't out of a window but yeah he did do that. and the idea of a streaming reality tv show halloween is ahead of its time and good. the execution though didn't work for me, like you said.

Also fell into that trap of everything revolving around the Myers house

Exactly, the premise was fresh and clever at the time plus they still had Jamie Lee Curtis for a close out. They just really, really dropped the ball on execution. I have a small army of movies where I feel like the concepts were golden but didn't get proper utilization either because of budget constraints or in cases like this, more like producer interference.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
Watching LA Llorona on Shudder, wow this movie is a super slow burn - it seems like more of a political movie than horror per se. (And this is the new La Llorona on Shudder -2020, not the OLD theatrical release, since certain posters on this thread want to play funny style with the movie titles)
Did not like this movie- tbh. Zero fear factor, zero thrills, zero tension, I don’t know why they can’t get this movie done right for the genre. This was not a horror movie - more like political drama with supernatural elements. Disappointing.

Tunez

Lloyd Banks Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside, 2gz Up
Watching LA Llorona on Shudder, wow this movie is a super slow burn - it seems like more of a political movie than horror per se. (And this is the new La Llorona on Shudder -2020, not the OLD theatrical release, since certain posters on this thread want to play funny style with the movie titles)

I agree

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Oh wow- well I guess you have time to catch up now. Those movies were like a right of passage for me bc I basically grew up on the horror genre. That movie that you’re talking about with Busta Rhymes was part of the Halloween series - I think that was the one in 3D?- or at least it was when I saw it, we had a 3D TV when that was a thing. Lol. I think it was Halloween H20- the movie with Busta and Tyra Banks. There was also a Halloween with LL Cool J with the setting of the boarding school.
Have you seen the Final Destinations?
I know what you did last summer was a big then back then - heavy marketing bc it had all the “go to it” stars from back in that era. I think among my favorites that people kind of sleep on is the 2000s era House of Wax (it had Sam from the CW Supernatural series and Elisha Cuthbert), the next is 2000s - Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Wrong Turn, Hills Have Eyes. Those were my top movies for that time period.

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Watch The Canal next?
Why not? The 2014 - i thought it was good, held my interest. Lot of twists in this movie.
Description
David and his family move into a period house by a canal, and dismiss rumours of the place being haunted. David starts having nightmarish visions when he suspects his wife is cheating, and he begins to descend into madness.”

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Exactly, the premise was fresh and clever at the time plus they still had Jamie Lee Curtis for a close out. They just really, really dropped the ball on execution. I have a small army of movies where I feel like the concepts were golden but didn't get proper utilization either because of budget constraints or in cases like this, more like producer interference.
Me too! Plenty of horror flicks with good intentions but for various reasons, they just didn't stick the landing on what should be easy layups

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
That was half of the horror movie output back then.
That was when horror was at it’s prime resurgence until they made that sub genre into a gimmick- then in comes “found footage” followed by psychological/supernatural and “remake/reboot” culture. This year would have seen another resurgence if the momentum didn’t get slowed down by these other factors.