Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Horror heads recommend me some new ish things you’ve seen worth checking out?

recently watched

midsommar - I wanted to like this, but I couldn’t get into it, cult shyt is right up my alley horror wise but this just wasn’t it for me

the colour out of space - again I wanted to like this as Mandy was my fave Nic Cage film upto date but again I couldn’t really get into this for some reason

I found beyond the black rainbow a slow burner but I liked it

Mandy I liked it a lot, the directors 2 for 2 with Beyond the black rainbow and Mandy

Im unaware on if he’s made other movies or has anything coming up but I’ll def check for his stuff in future

one I’ll recommend to you all

It’s in subs but don’t let that put you off.

Train to Busan, Fast zombie outbreak on a train, pretty gory, fast paced, intense scenes, some cool characters, best foreign horror I’ve seen for a while

Any recommendations?

Doctor Sleep. Watching the extended edition right now.

The Invitation on Netflix if you haven't seen it

The Fog (original)

The Hole in the Ground from last year

Recently rewatched Us and that movie is still incredible and worth every rewatch you can give it

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Nice write up, and don’t thank me - I appreciate your responding with your takes on things I had only heard about.

For both Miike and Dante these scripts seem very much an encompassment of the main ideas in their respective catalogs. Miike is obviously the epitome of a blood and guts filmmaker but beyond just that, his works focus a lot on the masochism of discipline and how trauma shapes personalities and predilections of characters. Dante’s films, somewhat similar to (and influenced by) Romero, use the monsters and supernatural elements to make his observations on society. The way you described Homecoming almost sounds like a Day of the Dead sequel. Indeed those themes of the soldier zombies voting, etc is similarly touched on in “Survival of the Dead”. I don’t recommend that movie to anyone but the hardcore George stans. There’s not much juice to squeeze out of that one but perhaps a bit more than Diary/Dead. But I digest....

Let me know if you find any other gems in the series and kudos for the insight on the ones you’ve seen. I’m sure there is at least one installment within those two seasons that’s an unrecognized classic by a less/non famous director.

BTW, are you on letterboxd? A bunch of you guys from this thread followed me on there one day recently but I only connected one or two usernames (@MartyMcFly is BlackMan right? and I think Nicole and Jello go by their same name here)

Fam, you nailed Miike exactly. Imprint is basically just keeps going deeper and deeper down a rabbit hole of traumatic experiences that wound up shaping each other. It's got that Ichi the Killer level violence and goes 1000% against the grain.

Romero but more on the head is also a perfect description for Homecoming. I don't remember Survival, but I recall Diary vaguely.

I'll def keep updating on the episodes as I go through them fam, glad you're enjoying the takes! I'm on Letterboxd as J4remi but I use it hella inconsistently.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Nice write up, and don’t thank me - I appreciate your responding with your takes on things I had only heard about.

For both Miike and Dante these scripts seem very much an encompassment of the main ideas in their respective catalogs. Miike is obviously the epitome of a blood and guts filmmaker but beyond just that, his works focus a lot on the masochism of discipline and how trauma shapes personalities and predilections of characters. Dante’s films, somewhat similar to (and influenced by) Romero, use the monsters and supernatural elements to make his observations on society. The way you described Homecoming almost sounds like a Day of the Dead sequel. Indeed those themes of the soldier zombies voting, etc is similarly touched on in “Survival of the Dead”. I don’t recommend that movie to anyone but the hardcore George stans. There’s not much juice to squeeze out of that one but perhaps a bit more than Diary/Dead. But I digest....

Let me know if you find any other gems in the series and kudos for the insight on the ones you’ve seen. I’m sure there is at least one installment within those two seasons that’s an unrecognized classic by a less/non famous director.

BTW, are you on letterboxd? A bunch of you guys from this thread followed me on there one day recently but I only connected one or two usernames (@MartyMcFly is BlackMan right? and I think Nicole and Jello go by their same name here)
ive only got one name homie lol

cac poster

// ...
Daps
Reppin
Paris
^^^^ quoting fukked up for some reason

Those should keep my horror fix going for a while, I like sci fi too

I’ve actually only heard of V/H/S from everything you’ve mentioned, a lot of people have mentioned those to be their favourites in the genres so I’ve been meaning to get round to them at some point

Train to Busan there’s an animated prequel to how the outbreak started or something but I’ve not seen it, Also talk of a sequel and a remake in English

I tend to like some of the stranger horror elements so not sure how I could t get into The colour out of space or midsommar but I’ll probably re watch both at some point on a side note I didn’t like hereditary either which a lot did so I expect to get crucified for that ha
I’m right there with you about the Aster movies. It’s not your fault you don’t like a contrived narrative tone tackling themes you’ve seen before :biggrin:

(People say the same about Eggers whose movies I like, so to each their own.)

cac poster

// ...
Daps
Reppin
Paris
Fam, you nailed Miike exactly. Imprint is basically just keeps going deeper and deeper down a rabbit hole of traumatic experiences that wound up shaping each other. It's got that Ichi the Killer level violence and goes 1000% against the grain.

Romero but more on the head is also a perfect description for Homecoming. I don't remember Survival, but I recall Diary vaguely.

I'll def keep updating on the episodes as I go through them fam, glad you're enjoying the takes! I'm on Letterboxd as J4remi but I use it hella inconsistently.
Awesome, keep us updated on masters of horror please! And yeah now I remember, good looks. Sorry I lost track of most everyone’s accounts since then.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation

recently watched

midsommar - I wanted to like this, but I couldn’t get into it, cult shyt is right up my alley horror wise but this just wasn’t it for me

the colour out of space - again I wanted to like this as Mandy was my fave Nic Cage film upto date but again I couldn’t really get into this for some reason

Mandy I liked it a lot, the directors 2 for 2 with Beyond the black rainbow and Mandy

Im unaware on if he’s made other movies or has anything coming up but I’ll def check for his stuff in future

Train to Busan, Fast zombie outbreak on a train, pretty gory, fast paced, intense scenes, some cool characters, best foreign horror I’ve seen for a while

Any recommendations?
Nothing new from me this year so far- mainly watching new horror series like The Outsider on HBO, and Evil on CBS- then a lot of Hulu horror indie, b movies, into the dark series, originals and low budget productions. Catching up on older movies from my watchlist accumulated from the last year. That’s been my bag since this year started. I want to see Parasite and I’m waiting for Black Christmas to stream. Ready or Not was decent. Dr. Sleep and Midsommar.

and you are yet another poster that doesn’t like Midsommar
:francis:
is this your first time commenting in this thread? Due to your dislike of Midsommar (which I thought was a engaging movie )We have a vetting process -tell us how do you feel about Rob Zombie?? And who is your favorite- Carpenter v Craven? Wan v Blum?
:jbhmm:

J/k - informational purposes only :lolbron:

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation

recently watched

Any recommendations?
I have a few that I could recc but it’s nothing too cerebral

LJLYDK!

All Star
Daps
Doctor Sleep. Watching the extended edition right now.

The Invitation on Netflix if you haven't seen it

The Fog (original)

The Hole in the Ground from last year

Recently rewatched Us and that movie is still incredible and worth every rewatch you can give it

Saw Dr sleep in the cinema and loved it

Love the shining too, Seen Dr Sleep get a lot of hate I dunno why

My mother got me the shining & Dr sleep books for Christmas I’ve not got round to reading them yet

Not seen the invitation yet or The Fog or Hole in the ground I’ll check them out though

Us I’ve seen an really enjoyed, Great movie and yet I see this gets a lot of hate too. Yet again why.

LJLYDK!

All Star
Daps
I’m right there with you about the Aster movies. It’s not your fault you don’t like a contrived narrative tone tackling themes you’ve seen before :biggrin:

(People say the same about Eggers whose movies I like, so to each their own.)

I see a lot of love for them but personally I just do t get why their so popular.