Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I checked out Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark this weekend and really enjoyed it. I had the books as a kid and read them to death, so it would have been easy for the movie to lose me but I think they really showed love and understanding of the source material. The way they chained the stories together worked well and it managed to work as PG horror that older heads can still enjoy. That's mainly because the scares and creatures were effective. They did have a number of jump scares, some overdoing it, but it wasn't completely relient on those. The jump scares translated well for the teens in the movie theater, lots of screams and a couple of well placed ones even got people I was with jumping. The real tense moments though were when someone's cornered and a creature is approaching, which they did really well. By having the stories reveal themselves to characters, you got stuck in the dread of knowing what's supposed to unfold but no one being able to do much about it. I should add, the creatures were truly dangerous and the stakes are real, for a lot of PG horror...the stakes aren't high enough and main characters can be assumed to be safe. That takes away from the tension by the midway point to final act...but this movie had real stakes. You still had an idea of which characters would be safe, but the movie consistently put people in harm's way which built to the ones you cared most about being in situations where the threats actually sold themselves.

Anyway...I loved this ish. The books shaped my horror obsession and the movie did the short stories it covered justice (to the extent that I went and re-read a couple of the stories for fun because I still have my books).

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
Hmmm...

Gonna have to check this out.
That movie was a mindfuk. Lot of references to Lovecraft. Nothing is what it seems. I thought the direction of that movie would go one way. Nope.. that movie spat out whatever thoughts or conclusions that I had like a used piece of gum. Good movie imo . If you liked the movie, Identity, you'll like this one- that's a comparison but not really because it's disassociative personality.

Last edited:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
That movie was a mindfuk. Lot of references to Lovecraft. Nothing is what it seems. I thought the direction of that movie would go one way. Nope.. that movie spat out whatever thoughts or conclusions that I had like a used piece of gum. Good movie imo . If you liked the movie, Identity, you'll like this one- that's a comparison but not really because it's disassociative personality.

Oh I’m going to check this out. Good looks

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Lovecraft!:krs: sign me up.

Daps
Netflix is back on their b.s. again with the horror content . I’ve seen the following as recs-
Insidious
Straw Dogs
Shutter (Asian version)
Mohawk
Friend Request
Would you Rather
Cabin Fever
47 meters down
Stitches
Cult of chucky
The Ones Below
Backcountry (slow but has a killer bear)
The Invitation
Demonic
As above So below
Green Room
Most likely to die
Slasher series
The Bye Bye Man
Day of the Dead Bloodline
Beyond Skyline
Apostle
St. Agatha
Dead Set
The Box
Train to Busan
The Supet
Their horror movie selection is horrible.

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
awww man. this is from the Martyrs folks.
:merchant:

watching now.
gonna try not to fall asleep.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
Their horror movie selection is horrible.
Yes... and those are the passable movies. I’ve watched at least 80% of their content years ago. The remaining percent of their horror selection are either Netflix “original” horror which are about as scary as a Lifetime movie or pure trash unwatchable. They had a few diamonds in the rough but that’s few and far between. Better off with a different streaming service. Netflix is not my first choice for horror anymore.